Duke4.net Forums: SiN gold on GOG.com - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SiN gold on GOG.com  "with Wages of SiN as well"

User is offline   Jblade 

http://www.gog.com/game/sin_gold

This includes wages of SiN as well, and I'm pretty sure it's not the neutered version that appeared on Steam briefly. SiN's one of my favourite games of all time, and wages of SiN is even better so if you've never played either and like older FPS games than definitly pick this up.

Anymore big SiN fans here?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Some version of SiN is included when you buy SiN Emergence, not sure if it's got Wages of SiN though. I played part of the first level and got stuck and never really went back to it, but I guess I should look up a walkthrough some time and continue on with it. Hell I remember having to consult a walkthrough to find the keycard in Hollywood Haulocaust for the first time, although to be fair at that stage I had no idea what the game was about or even what the keycard looked like.

Anyway the version of SiN on steam is kinda unsupported. You have to do something funky like rename the exe to quake2 to get around some problem. What's so superior about the gog gold version?
Edit: Btw I really liked Emergence.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 30 January 2014 - 05:53 AM

Hope Viper's happy now that SiN is on GOG. He wanted to play the game soooo badly!

User is offline   Jblade 

Anyway the version of SiN on steam is kinda unsupported. You have to do something funky like rename the exe to quake2 to get around some problem. What's so superior about the gog gold version?

The steam version has weird censorship edits and isn't the original game. It doesn't come with Wages of SiN either.

Emergence plays nothing like the original, which is why it wasn't met with huge fanfair. I did enjoy it, but it's not special and pretty much felt like a Hl2 TC than a new game (and not just because it's a source engine game)

User is offline   Loke 

I gave up on Emergence towards the end due to the unbalanced difficulty (annoying bullet sponge enemies with barely any health packs, fuck that shit).

SiN is quite good though. I actually played through it a few months ago for the first time. When growing up I were more into Half-Life and Unreal Tournament so it never really got a lot of attention. I remember playing the demo though but it never clicked for me. I guess I was too much of a Half-Life fanboy to care. :(

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostDustFalcon85, on 30 January 2014 - 06:20 AM, said:

Hope Viper's happy now that SiN is on GOG. He wanted to play the game soooo badly!

Dude, I built a P2-450 just to play it over the Summer. I still have to beat it - I got so caught up in my friends heroin addiction, and then Mass Effect...I'll probably end up beating it within a couple weeks.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostLoke, on 30 January 2014 - 06:51 AM, said:

I gave up on Emergence towards the end due to the unbalanced difficulty (annoying bullet sponge enemies with barely any health packs, fuck that shit).

Dynamic difficulty system was made it and other bad things worse, I personally found it's fine...but unless I play badly...or cheat with god mode... :D

--

Because Ritual just dead too quick after Emergence didn't sell well to made a ep2 one.., the SiN:WoS mission pack for Steam never able to release, since the acquirer turned Ritual to a totally stupid casual game studio and that's never happened (for steam)...and make WoS working on SiN 1 for Steam really pain my ass...just give up at try to do that... :D

Good to know there is other way to get WoS...but, I don't know If I needed to have 2 versions of SiN...and don't care censorship in Steam...nah...whatever. :(

EDIT:

View PostLoke, on 30 January 2014 - 06:51 AM, said:

I guess I was too much of a Half-Life fanboy to care. :D

It does have HL1 reference in the secret mission level...I lol'ed when I saw that.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 30 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

Half-life definitly blows it out of the water (and everything else out at the time) but it's still a fun little shooter, as many people say it's kinda like how DNF might of been had the Quake 2 version been finished.

User is offline   KareBear 

View PostDial V for Viper, on 30 January 2014 - 07:01 AM, said:

Dude, I built a P2-450 just to play it over the Summer.

Why?It still runs on modern computers if you do a bit of tweaking.

View PostJames, on 30 January 2014 - 05:16 AM, said:

and I'm pretty sure it's not the neutered version that appeared on Steam briefly.
Is this known for sure? If they went to the trouble of including Wages of SiN, I assume they would at least bother to release the unedited version of SiN, but the current owners of the franchise haven't shown the games much love these past many years. Also, some of the original SiN content was in a grey area to begin with, particularly the famed nude Elexis skin which I don't think would make it past censors these days in a re-release (although I certainly hope it could for the sake of no censorship).

For anyone not familiar with the Steam version changes and censorship, I wrote this up way back when:
http://www.nextdimension.org/sinsteam/

Pardon the crappy page design.

View PostJames, on 30 January 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

Half-life definitly blows it out of the water (and everything else out at the time) but it's still a fun little shooter, as many people say it's kinda like how DNF might of been had the Quake 2 version been finished.

IMO HL1 is a boring, dated, slow shooter, with downright terrible pacing, but to each his own I guess. I think SiN blows it out of the water.

View PostKareBear, on 30 January 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

Why?It still runs on modern computers if you do a bit of tweaking.

There are other old games I want to play as well, I had all the parts I needed in a closet, I just had to spend $8 on a CPU. A GeForce2 MX with old drivers will run just about anything without fuss.

User is offline   Soap DX 

Cool I was actually thinking of getting this. Back in the day I only got as far as the demo, but always stayed interested.

Did anyone here ever watch the animated movie of SiN? I always wonder when people talk about the game if others have seen it as well.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I used to love SiN, but I recently went through the trouble of setting it up again, and I completely lost interest once I got to the first stealth mission not that far in.

I'm not really sure why, the level design was good and the guns were satisfying, but something about it stopped me from playing

User is offline   Jblade 

Did anyone here ever watch the animated movie of SiN? I always wonder when people talk about the game if others have seen it as well.

I did, to be honest it's actually pretty good even though it wildly strays from the source material (none of the characters have the same VA from the game either) It's got the same problem alot of OVAs have with the same length (about an hour) where the plot just rushes like fuck in the last quarter of it. It's got a pretty good aesthetic style though and the animation is mostly good, so if you like SiN and cyberpunk anime than check it out definitly.

EDIT:

Is this known for sure? If they went to the trouble of including Wages of SiN, I assume they would at least bother to release the unedited version of SiN, but the current owners of the franchise haven't shown the games much love these past many years. Also, some of the original SiN content was in a grey area to begin with, particularly the famed nude Elexis skin which I don't think would make it past censors these days in a re-release (although I certainly hope it could for the sake of no censorship).

Yeah it's the same version as the original, I went into one of the secret areas and the posters were all the same as the original. This definitly seems like the definitive copy compared to the Steam version.

This post has been edited by James: 30 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Awesome news! One of the best shooters ever. It's great to be able to play through Wages of Sin again.

You can even run Sin in widescreen: http://pcgamingwiki....reen_resolution

Here's a dev diary from back in the day.

Sin PCZ 1
Sin PCZ 2
Sin PCZ 3

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 30 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

I never had any problems with the Steam version, but as said before it does not come with the expansion pack. The game gets pretty hard in the final missions to the point of being annoying (if I remember well I had played on "Medium" difficulty, was not even in "Hard"). The game had cool ideas though, that's true, specially with interactive computers (I don't know what that is that I really enjoy to use a computer inside a computer game :( ).

So, is it worth picking up just for the expansion? Might do that sooner or later.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 30 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

https://www.facebook.com/gogcom

GOG, is a reformed Ritual behind this re-release?
Yes :(

Wages of Sin is one of the best expansion packs ever. 2015 went on to make Allied Assault, COD and now Titanfall. It's a great campaign, with tons of variety and nice pacing.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 30 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

So, is it worth picking up just for the expansion? Might do that sooner or later.

Yes, the expansion is pretty fantastic. It's got lots of JC/Blade dialogue, some cool levels (and the level design in general is better looking than the original game) some neat new enemies and some new great guns.

User is offline   Stabs 

Pretty cool game, loved how interactive the levels where, its kinda like deus ex without the depth and inventory, probably one of the first games where headshots really mattered too, and you it would leave a wound where the bullet hit, pretty advanced for the time

I just wanted to throw it out there, but SiN has the best instruction manual ever. It's worth picking up an old copy on eBay...it gives you all kinds of backstory through this absolutely gorgeous 15 or so page comic. It's campy in all the best 90's ways and hilarious. I bought a bunch of used 90's games on eBay and everything was in blank jewel cases...except for that manual. Says a lot about how great it is.

I fucking LOVE this game. As soon as I get my GTX 780 I'm finishing up my ME3 Jack run and then I'm going right back to the old Pentium 2.

This post has been edited by Dial V for Viper: 30 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

http://www.reddit.co...ased_on_gogcom/

According to GOG, a reformed Ritual Entertainment is behind this re-release. Hopefully this isn't the last we see of them!

This is correct! We wanted to start with the re-release on GOG.com, as they are amazing at getting older IP working on today's machines. Based on reception, we are exploring many opportunities with the franchise. It won't be the last you see of us :(

We have been working on and off with many members of the original team, and who knows what the future might bring! It has been a personal goal of mine to bring the original Ritual titles back to the players, and see how we can expand the IP.

I wonder who's involved with Ritual 2.0? I'm definitely not holding my breath for a new Sin game.

Unrelated, but there's an HD Sin project in the works by Frederik Schreiber: http://steamcommunit...79008399120374/

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I love SiN and I loved Emergence, I had more fun playing Emergence than I did playing Half Life.

I played the Steam version and it was horrible, the game wouldn't start half the time and the load times were like the day one Xbox 360 version of DNF in slow motion. This GoG version however loads in seconds.

I love Ritual Entertainments games, I love Heavy Metal Fakk 2 as well but I can't play it anymore on my Windows 7, the game keeps freezing at the same cutscene about an into the game for some reason and I have no idea how to fix it, I just hope a fixed version of that game shows up on GoG soon since SiN is now :(

• Honored Donor

I just tried playing SiN on steam again and it wouldn't even launch... I'm fed up with the steam version and will get it on GoG the next time it's on sale. I'm not too disappointed with my purchase though since I bought the item for Emergence, and it was on a pretty good sale at the time as well.

View PostMicky C, on 30 January 2014 - 11:09 PM, said:

I just tried playing SiN on steam again and it wouldn't even launch...

http://pcgamingwiki....m_Steam_library

It just a manual small fix and should be fixed by somebody...

I just hope those guys fixing the Steam version too and bring WoS too. Since I were bought SiN Ep1 for the damn SiN game... :(

Just hope.

(EDIT: Looks like since after steampipe goes live, the Steam's content distribution system has been changed, SiN Ep1 and SiN 1 was used GCF format and not ever updated at all for the steampipe, so SiN 1 didn't worked on the new system, just failed to start at all, someone should updated them too... :D )

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 01 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

User is offline   xBRYAN2000x 

• I need to grow up.

SiN is for morons play with turds

View PostxBRYAN2000x, on 04 February 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

SiN is for morons play with turds

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Dial V for Viper: 05 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

• Honored Donor

Btw can someone please post in this thread next time SiN is on sale on GoG? I think $10 is a little over priced for a game that's so old which I'm not sure I'll enjoy or even have time to play.

View PostMicky C, on 05 February 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

Btw can someone please post in this thread next time SiN is on sale on GoG? I think $10 is a little over priced for a game that's so old which I'm not sure I'll enjoy or even have time to play.

I think it's fine because has expansion(SiN:WoS)...but for me, it's too many when I already had Steam version...I just needed that damn expansion... :(

Just wait...

View PostMicky C, on 05 February 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

Dude it's totally worth $10. It's fucking awesome.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I really liked Emergence and hate that new episodes will never come out, especially with a teaser of Episode 2 out there. I liked the level design for the most part, and its interactivity. I imagine both would've gotten even better with new episodes.
That said, I never played the original SiN until Emergence came out and SiN came with it. Didn't play too much of it, but I'd like to go back.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options