Duke4.net Forums: Help make the Blood community a better place - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help make the Blood community a better place

User is offline   Jblade 

Try not to think of it that way - there's nothing wrong with brow-beating each other but there's a huge difference between being 'sensitive sissies' and just letting racism/homophobia go unchecked. I can't explain it but sadly it's not the kind of thing that's easy to get across without having you witness it personally.

anyways enough with the derail about this, we could go on forever talking about that stuff.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostJames, on 21 December 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

I haven't seen the devs be rude lately...

??
Tx recently got into a pissing match with some forum member about how a certain map looked different between different modes
a mod stepped in and told Tx he was acting like a drunk looking for a fight and needed to chill out

did the guy deserve it. probably; he was acting like an ass then refused to help isolate other issues he mentioned

i'd post the references, but this site is creeping at a snail's pace for me atm

still, it's not the first time the cheese has slid off Tx's cracker, and it won't be the last

should an admin act like that (even if his personal life has been going through a rough patch)? depends on your opinion, but it probably doesn't leave a good impression on "noobs"

it's Tx and he can do what the fuck he wants.

personally i find it entertaining at best, or i roll my eyes into the back of my skull at worst.

as far as Hendricks just up and leaving that other sight. How bout a little backup from the site owner and fixing the issue instead of letting it rot in its own swill. That community will be better off in the long run for it.

This post has been edited by Forge: 21 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I think TX is great. He just says it like it is.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostForge, on 21 December 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

i'd post the references, but this site is creeping at a snail's pace for me atm

Ok, so I'm not the only one. Every page is taking 2 minutes to load.

This post has been edited by Element of Kindness: 21 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

Posted Image

User is offline   Jblade 

Tx recently got into a pissing match with some forum member about how a certain map looked different between different modes
a mod stepped in and told TX he was acting like a drunk looking for a fight and needed to chill out

I didn't really interpret it that way, but I can't find the thread in question to check. I think the guy misread TerminX's reply and saw it as a personel attack and immediately went on the defensive. It was a bit weird to be honest, since even I could tell TerminX's post was phrased in a pretty friendly way, albeit asking for proof that there was a issue with the port.

But anyways, I don't really feel like there's a hostile environment here. Let's not forget that for the most part I only started posting here after AMC started it's decline so I don't feel like I'm an insider or part of any cliques, so I'm not trying to defend the status quo or anything. From what I've seen if you're not a drama queen and you're polite than you'll get along here fine. I don't spend as much time here and I don't check the non-Duke forums apart from the gaming one so I only have a half picture of this community bear in mind.

User is offline   Cage 

I think I remember that situation, TX may have overreacted a bit, but I'd be mad myself in a situation, when somebody comes out of the blue, stating something's wrong with my work (on which me, and few other people, have spent countless hours and it's available for free) without stating any detail.

I can't remember any moments that TX or any other dev team members would act ignorant or not provide a substantial answer to a question or situation.

As for the Blood community, I'm not present there so I can't really tell, but from my general people experience, with the Blood's situation being pretty tough (no source port, deteriorating interest, especially in modding) it's easy for the community to grow weird, elitist or bitter.

User is offline   Kathy 

What was the story with Jace Hall's appearance? Why did he show up at Postmortem, to tease about source code?

User is offline   Forge 

View PostJames, on 22 December 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

But anyways, I don't really feel like there's a hostile environment here.

http://forums.duke4....post__p__174936

classic Tx. love the out of the blue comments

View PostJames, on 22 December 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

I didn't really interpret it that way, but I can't find the thread in question to check.

http://forums.duke4....post__p__176059

edit: before we get silly

View PostForge, on 21 December 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

did the guy deserve it. probably; he was acting like an ass then refused to help isolate other issues he mentioned

interesting that it's Hendricks telling Tx to chill. Just another example of his maturity

This post has been edited by Forge: 22 December 2013 - 03:31 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

There's pretty clear history between the two that they sorted out (and he clarified his position later in the post) Bob's hardly a new guy in anycase

well this is another agree-to-disagree thing because I don't see that post as harsh or excessive in anyway. It wasn't overly polite but I don't feel like he was putting across any malice or distaste (the :wub: smiley was a big clue, as far as I'm concerned they're one of the best/easiest ways to put across a tone in a message online) And Hendricks post just looked like a joke to me (I've never seen him ever use a smiley, I think it could of used one personally)

We do agree on Hendricks maturity though, I don't think he should worry about character assassination at all because it's a racist den of crazy fuckers and people like him enough here. I respect him for taking up a fight that he didn't need to.

User is offline   Forge 

not to drag this out any farther than it needs (but i'm doing it anyway)

like i mentioned, the douche had the shut-the-fuck-up or i'll lock the thread comment coming to him. whether Tx and Hendricks were "playing around" really isn't relevant. intent does not equal interpretation.
it's quite often that at a certain point of irritation, Tx will fling his authority into play

that clear history is something i wasn't aware of (and apparently from a few other posts, i'm not the only one who was in the dark about it)
of course hindsight is 20/20. after everything is said and done between Tx & Bob it's all clear, but at the moment of the initial posting, which came out of nowhere and lacked any explanation, there's alot of room for misunderstanding and impression

we can agree to disagree which is fine, but i still think the original point stands that certain members of the upper echelon on this site can come across as arrogant and abrasive to a "noob"
(and normal members can be quite rough as well, but they weren't the subject)

This post has been edited by Forge: 22 December 2013 - 05:57 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Like I said before, we're relatively democratic here. If you see shitposting, call the poster out on it. With a forum as lightly moderated as this, it's the responsibility of the posters to take matters into their own hands, as opposed to a more strict forum where backseat moderating is a bannable offense (fuck those forums).

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostElement of Kindness, on 21 December 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

Was his opinion foolish? Yes. Did he deserve rebuke? Yes. But that thread was way too much, and just blind insults against him for almost 10 pages. And the fact that he almost stopped modding for Duke was terrible. I remember this post was made by Deadolon recently:

I'm unsure what this post is about, I hope you're not confusing me with Daedalus.

Daedalus has never partaken in Duke3D modding, and I'm not planning on ever stopping.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Holy shit Hendricks. This is a prime example of why I never post at the Postmortem. The website itself is great, but the foum is filled with fucking psycho narcissists with shitty opinions and shitty attitudes. And this is coming from me! I think at this point everybody realizes I'm just a silly asshole with no filter, but those guys are actually malicious hateful fucks. Off-hand Daedolon is the only cool member other than Hendricks, and those cats hang out here so why am I going to go over there and mix with those ingrates?

And there's no point in rounding up the Bash a Jew Crew because people that miserable cannot be made more miserable.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 22 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Wow... What a festering shithole of a community...

I've seen and had been in some pretty bad communities in my life, but that takes the cake. This isn't my first time reading stuff from the postmortem either... Anyhow, at least Daedolon seems to show integrity, sanity, and dignity, and he's the owner, so that's good.

On a side topic: Am I the only one here who hates it when people abuse the term "Freedom of Speech" to excuse being an ignorant, hateful, and hurtful ass-fuck without consequences?

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 22 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDukeNukem64, on 21 December 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

I can tell you that. Most people from the outside find people in here arrogant and a bunch of *put some offensive words here*, and they mostly mean Eduke32 Devs. Don't ask why, but people keep telling me to keep away from here. I am not attacking anyone, just saying what people says about you. Since you asked :wub:

1. Does my interaction with Twitchious have anything to do with it?
2. Is there anything you would recommend to improve our public image?

View PostKathy, on 22 December 2013 - 02:48 AM, said:

What was the story with Jace Hall's appearance? Why did he show up at Postmortem, to tease about source code?

See here and here.

View PostDaedolon, on 22 December 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

I'm unsure what this post is about, I hope you're not confusing me with Daedalus.

He's referring to Paul B.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

View PostHendricks266, on 21 December 2013 - 03:08 AM, said:

In addition, people are questioning if I even care about Blood at all because I have not been active in the forums.

There's not much activity on the site lately right (every time I log in there's usually no new post at all for days)? So they shouldn't use this as an argument piece.

I could post my 2 cents on there but I don't know how much good that will do. All I can say is if the owner of the site has made you a mod, and you talked with him about editing the rules, then it shouldn't matter what the other moderators think. Removing racism isn't going to kill anybody, there's that good 'ol joke of a community called Stormfront for things like that.

User is offline   ZedSlayer 

Honestly ive been a memeber of Posty and Tranfusion forums for a while now, and the only threads I ever really poke into is anything that might tell me if blood is getting anywhere in its legal trouble, most everything else is fluff or stuff I care not for. The occasional mod for blood is good though too.
Honestly, I'm not much of a community person anyways, I lurk around these forums for the occasional mod or news spot or thing about some build game or apogee product such as Blood, ROTT, or Shadow Warrior.

Also on the Jace Hall thing, long story short he found the PostMortem and proposed that he wants to bring blood back into the public eye by trying to get permission to redistribute a new blood port, kind of like a Megaton Edition for blood (though i think megaton edition hadn't even happened yet) and use the PostMortem as a gauge for public reactions and ideas for what the port should and shouldn't have, and whether or not he could get and open source release. Then Atari said said nothing, then Atari was going through bankruptcy, and now according to Devolver(I think it was Devolver) Atari is asking too much to licence/hand over blood.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostStrikerMan780, on 22 December 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

Wow... What a festering shithole of a community...

I've seen and had been in some pretty bad communities in my life, but that takes the cake. This isn't my first time reading stuff from the postmortem either... Anyhow, at least Daedolon seems to show integrity, sanity, and dignity, and he's the owner, so that's good.

On a side topic: Am I the only one here who hates it when people abuse the term "Freedom of Speech" to excuse being an ignorant, hateful, and hurtful ass-fuck without consequences?

I've seen some shitposting in my days, I've been everywhere from the original incarnation of /news/ to Reddit to Postwhore's Paradise (where Yatta and I consummated our love) and I swear the Post Mortem seriously takes the cake.

Also what do you mean by consequences? Honestly freedom of speech is a pretty cut and dry term, you can't abuse it unless you don't actually believe in freedom of speech.

View PostZedSlayer, on 22 December 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

Also on the Jace Hall thing, long story short he found the PostMortem and proposed that he wants to bring blood back into the public eye by trying to get permission to redistribute a new blood port, kind of like a Megaton Edition for blood (though i think megaton edition hadn't even happened yet) and use the PostMortem as a gauge for public reactions and ideas for what the port should and shouldn't have, and whether or not he could get and open source release. Then Atari said said nothing, then Atari was going through bankruptcy, and now according to Devolver(I think it was Devolver) Atari is asking too much to licence/hand over blood.

And his biggest mistake within any community it was brought up, including here, was saying that he wanted it to be closed source. Even Megaton is open source.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postgerolf, on 22 December 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

All I can say is if the owner of the site has made you a mod, and you talked with him about editing the rules, then it shouldn't matter what the other moderators think.

In talking with the staff, I since realize that I did not go through the proper procedure and get everyone's approval before making the change, so I overstepped my bounds. Here on Duke4 I could get away with it, but that's the loose leash placed on me here.

However, that doesn't change much else of the situation. Users are still being racist, I still have not been welcomed, and that thread still is excessively dramatic against me.

Even though I made a mistake, it could have been reverted by a higher authority and I could have been talked to privately about it. Instead, Daedalus wrote this sensational forum thread all while talking about me in the third person.

Then Atari said said nothing,

Actually, Atari outright told him no.

View PostJimmy, on 22 December 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

Even Megaton is open source.

Only because it was based on JFDuke3D, which was based on the GPL source code release. Had 3DR started from scratch, as a Blood port would, they could have done it under any pretense they wanted.

User is offline   Kathy 

So Jace Hall is still sitting on a source code with the only option of releasing it since Atari doesn't want to do anything with the license? Or does Atari block him from actually releasing it?

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

It's Atari's call as they own the rights to Blood, Blood 2 and their source code. Which was the entire reason for him contacting Atari in the first place.

User is offline   Dimebog 

I like how you call an entire community racist just because some random guy nobody even likes or cares about is throwing around the "n-word". Not to mention other fine adjectives you like to throw around to describe people you've never met or cared to get to know. You guys are just a cheery bunch aren't you?

"Discrimination is bad and therefore I am going to discriminate an entire forum's population based on the actions of a few individuals or things I heard but never bothered to check."

If I had to judge the Duke4.net community based on this thread alone, I'd have no choice but to conclude that everyone on here is just shamelessly ignorant and rude beyond reason. Get your own asses in line before preaching to others.

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostDimebog, on 23 December 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

I like how you call an entire community racist just because some random guy nobody even likes or cares about is throwing around the "n-word". Not to mention other fine adjectives you like to throw around to describe people you've never met or cared to get to know. You guys are just a cheery bunch aren't you?

"Discrimination is bad and therefore I am going to discriminate an entire forum's population based on the actions of a few individuals or things I heard but never bothered to check."

If I had to judge the Duke4.net community based on this thread alone, I'd have no choice but to conclude that everyone on here is just shamelessly ignorant and rude beyond reason. Get your own asses in line before preaching to others.

Eat a dick, faggot.

User is offline   Psycho87 

and now according to Devolver(I think it was Devolver) Atari is asking too much to licence/hand over blood.

Link please? I haven't heard of this.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostPsycho87, on 23 December 2013 - 03:35 AM, said:

Link please? I haven't heard of this.

https://twitter.com/...867780443836416

User is offline   Psycho87 

View PostLoke, on 23 December 2013 - 03:40 AM, said:

:wub:

User is offline   Lunick 

Is it even Atari they asked? Pretty sure they sent a tweet a while ago asking Warner Bros to fork it over...

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Blood source will never get released.
Unless someone actually gets balls and leaks it.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options