Duke4.net Forums: Mass Effect 3 is the greatest game ever made. - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mass Effect 3 is the greatest game ever made.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostDial V for Viper, on 20 December 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

Ronan, I'm going to watch that IT documentary later. Thanks for the link.

MobileMux, as for not having relationships? PFFFT. Did you even talk to anyone?

Dude, you can even have casual sex with Jack, but if you do she will never respect you again. And she brings it up. Either the first or second time she talks to you she lays her cards on the table. Plus the women in that trilogy are hella flirty, as is Shepard. I'm starting to wonder if you've ever been with a girl before.

Jesus Christ, did you even try to get to know your team members after they came about? I'm pretty sure it's impossible to miss the whole exchange with Jack. Besides, didn't you know the series is literally famous for hot, kinky, alien sex? When ME1 came out it was actually on the mainstream news for that.

Speaking of her, I've decided to pull an "everybody lives" ending on ME2 and then create a "Jack canon" and "Liara canon" save file just for the fuck of (possibly) exporting them into ME4. I lost Thane, who was cool, and Miranda, who was a total cunt in ME2. I think Miranda is my least favorite "friendly" character in a game ever. She's just an absolutely awful person, narcissistic and manipulative, with zero empathy. The whole conflict she started with Jack was so juvenile and mean spirited that when I saw she was dead on my squad screen I literally said "Good. Fuck her."

I was talking about the first game, I knew in the 2nd game I could, I had my eyes on Miranda as soon as she was shown, but by the time ME2 came out I already had completed ME1 over a dozen times and had multiple saves with Ashley and Liara as my love interests, in my first ME1 playthrough I did talk to a lot of characters, but mostly the wrong ones and not talking enough as on my 2nd playthough as male Shepard I talked to Tali a lot and got nowhere, while on my Femshep playthrough I talked to Garrus a lot and still got nowhere, but at the back of my mind I kind of knew you could have love interests but I just never really tried Ashley, Liara and Kaiden until my later playthroughs.
You are becoming real assholes with your personal shots at me just because I don't like a game you do.

If you can believe it I never heard about Mass Effect until a while after I got my 360, I never had broadband internet until late 2009 so I never knew anything about it until I played it, I first found out about Mass Effect when I watched a bonus trailer that was on my 360 Hard drive, also I live out in the country so I couldn't get gaming news by the hour.
I never romanced Jack at all because I just wasn't attracted to her and just didn't really like her in general, I just romanced Miranda, Tali and sometimes stayed loyal to Ashley/Liara, but when Jack showed up in ME3 I kinda wish I did, but after playing ME3 I didn't wanna anymore because I didn't like ME3.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostxMobilemux, on 20 December 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

You are becoming real assholes with your personal shots at me just because I don't like a game you do.

You enter a thread titled "Mass Effect is the greatest game ever made" then proceed to say that it "sucks hard" and was made to appeal to "the Gears of War crowd" then compare it to Halo just because some clueless youtuber with an unjustified inflated ego says the same, yet you expect cake? You will not find cake here.
Nobody's being cunty to you here except me, but I think you deserve it.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 20 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostRonan, on 20 December 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

You enter a thread titled "Mass Effect is the greatest game ever made" then proceed to say that it "sucks hard" and was made to appeal to "the Gears of War crowd" then compare it to Halo just because some clueless youtuber with an unjustified inflated ego says the same, yet you expect cake? You will not find cake here.

No I didn't expect cake, but I didn't expect oversensitive fanboys either.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostxMobilemux, on 20 December 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

No I didn't expect cake, but I didn't expect oversensitive fanboys either.

You of all people, call me an over sensitive fanboy. I'm just arguing with you, nothing more, please don't start crying it has no effect on me.

View PostRonan, on 20 December 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

You of all people, call me an over sensitive fanboy. I'm just arguing with you, nothing more, please don't start crying it has no effect on me.

I'm not crying at all, I just stated what I hated about ME3, we had a constructive argument, but you and the other guy had to start getting all personal by using all that Liara sex talk, whether I've been with a girl and all that crap.

You wanna keep talking about Mass Effect 3 go ahead, I think I'm done here.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostxMobilemux, on 20 December 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

I'm not crying at all, I just stated what I hated about ME3, we had a constructive argument, but you and the other guy had to start getting all personal by using all that Liara sex talk, whether I've been with a girl and all that crap.

That's fine, your informed and valuable contribution has been noted.

User is offline   Jeff 

Fanboy is pretty light. I was called a sociopath by someone who I disagreed with. Not here, but sometime in the last year while discussing Mass Effect 3. Simply because I didn't share the same opinion as them. This person believed that because I wasn't sympathizing with their viewpoint, and taking Bioware's side that I was in the realm of Charles Manson or something.

I think the argument had something to do with the game's advertising or something. That even after they were found innocent, this person still tried to prove they were guilty. Hell, one of those articles even had a lawyer come in and say "nope, these statements don't mean anything", and they still kind of push that they did.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostDial V for Viper, on 20 December 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

The game is the ending.

Then many people weren't happy with ending's ending. Sure, ME3 is the end to the trilogy, but the ME3 game have its own ending.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I have this theory about ME2. I believe that they tried everything possible to keep you faithful to Liara.

Kelly is boring.
Miranda is a total cunt.
Jacob is boring. And black.
Garrus' dextro DNA space cum will melt your human vagina.
Jack has a bad rap sheet, and everyone fears her aboard the ship.

If you play the Shadow Broker DLC and you start a new relationship in the main game, Liara always has a problem with it. If you were with Jack she straight up dresses you down more than once.

All of the Mass Effect games try to gravitate you toward Liara because she's the second most important character in the series. No Liara, no mission.

View PostxMobilemux, on 20 December 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

Liara sex talk? I was mentioning that the lamestream media actually ran stories on it. Which happened.

This post has been edited by Dial V for Viper: 20 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

User is offline   Jeff 

View PostDial V for Viper, on 20 December 2013 - 10:31 PM, said:

All of the Mass Effect games try to gravitate you toward Liara because she's the second most important character in the series. No Liara, no mission.

Never romanced Liara before.

Why not?

This post has been edited by Dial V for Viper: 21 December 2013 - 04:01 AM

User is offline   Jeff 

I have no idea. Some playthroughs I didn't even romance anyone. One playthrough I romanced Morinth. Didn't go over well.

You should totally do it. It's the deepest relationship in the whole series and it reveals more plot elements than any other. I'm kinda shocked you didn't do it.

I mean, it's technically bestiality, but it's virtual. So I guess it's okay.

Oh yeah, did you try to bang Morinth after you got her on your squad? Because if that's an option, that's like, pretty much the epitome of player choice.

This post has been edited by Dial V for Viper: 21 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

User is offline   Jeff 

View PostDial V for Viper, on 21 December 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

Oh yeah, did you try to bang Morinth after you got her on your squad? Because if that's an option, that's like, pretty much the epitome of player choice.

Haha, I sure did!

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Mass effect 3 was at least better than DNF.

User is offline   trustn0! 

There are way too many items to address when concerning ME3 so i wont bother. All i will do, is post this image.
Posted Image
I rest my case.

View PostReaperMan, on 21 December 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

Mass effect 3 was at least better than DNF.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Pictures without context, vague arguments, and an appeal to the stone. Yep, sounds like quality forum posting to me.

View PostComrade Major, on 22 December 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

Pictures without context, vague arguments, and an appeal to the stone. Yep, sounds like quality forum posting to me.

Should i elaborate then? How about the fact that Biowares laziness makes 3DRealms look like Weta Workshop by comparison? Their decision to simply use a photoshop of a public domain image for the revelation of one of the most beloved character in the Mass Effect series is downright disgusting. Their ability to make even U3 look like mid gen ps2 era graphics is a testament to how incompetent the entire production of that game was. http://i.imgur.com/Vsmwq.jpg
I can go on and on about the mission structure, the shoehorned MP, the broken gameplay, the sidequests and the story itself but you know what? This game already had too much of my time devoted to it from me in one form or another and im not willing to waste any more. I am done wasting pity, anger and contempt for this thing.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 22 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

I don't think you could pick her in ME1.

Also, I can understand discontent about ME3's ending if it felt rushed, unfinished, and wasn't a creative decision to have it that way. I think that should have been the main point about this so-called controversy anyway and not "my decisions didn't matter" crap.

ME2 spoiler:
Spoiler

View PostKathy, on 22 December 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

I don't think you could pick her in ME1.

You're right, you couldn't. My bad on that. Mixed it up with 2.
Spoiler
Point still stands. Who in utter hell thought that using a stock image would be a good idea?

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 22 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Where was it used, in a photo frame on Shep's desk?

View Posttrustn0!, on 22 December 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

Should i elaborate then? How about the fact that Biowares laziness makes 3DRealms look like Weta Workshop by comparison? Their decision to simply use a photoshop of a public domain image for the revelation of one of the most beloved character in the Mass Effect series is downright disgusting. Their ability to make even U3 look like mid gen ps2 era graphics is a testament to how incompetent the entire production of that game was. http://i.imgur.com/Vsmwq.jpg
I can go on and on about the mission structure, the shoehorned MP, the broken gameplay, the sidequests and the story itself but you know what? This game already had too much of my time devoted to it from me in one form or another and im not willing to waste any more. I am done wasting pity, anger and contempt for this thing.
Spoiler

Did you play the game from Day 1 or fully patched with all DLC's? There's a huge difference in quality.

Oh no, a low res environmental texture and low poly object in a game designed to run on a system with 512MB of shared RAM.

Seriously, that's the best you can do? Forget Illium, The Citadel, or Palaven, GRRRRRRR THEY COMPROMISED A HILL OF DEBRIS SO A HUGE ENDING LEVEL WOULD FIT IN A CONSOLES TINY ASS MEMORY FOOTPRINT.

"I could go on and on about the story." So could I. It was the best. It was Deus Ex good.

View Posttrustn0!, on 22 December 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

You're right, you couldn't. My bad on that. Mixed it up with 2.
Spoiler
Point still stands. Who in utter hell thought that using a stock image would be a good idea?

Lazy, yeah, kind of. But all of the character models are modeled after real people.

(Oh hell yes)

Soooooo much hate for Mass Effect 3 from fanbois. I can't wait to see the HL3 fallout. Rev up those tampons!

This post has been edited by Dial V for Viper: 22 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

User is offline   Jeff 

Oh no, a low res environmental texture and low poly object in a game designed to run on a system with 512MB of shared RAM.

You should check this out. Looks great. Also, some guy did one for Mass Effect 2, as well as Mass Effect 1.

Hey people want to talk about console ports. You know why they make console ports? Because around 80% of the people who bought this game play on a console. So Bioware is going to design for console first, PC second. That's why they have a texture streaming system for the game. If it was PC, then you could probably skip streaming, and just go for the 64-bit, DX11, and full high-res texture and audio package, where you could preload the entire level in 10 seconds on an SSD (w/RAM cache software for more speed) or something. Unfortunately, for last generation, which most consoles were on, they still had a slow DVD drive (reads at 15.5 MBps), so they had to design the game around that, and thus texture streaming and low resolution textures were necessary. You should play some previous generation games before this. They had textures which had resolutions of like 128x128 or 64x64 for ground textures (around 2001 or so).

Lazy, yeah, kind of. But all of the character models are modeled after real people.

Yep

Or if people don't like what she looks like, you could always do this

Same goes for the ending, or whatever.

Also, I can understand discontent about ME3's ending if it felt rushed, unfinished, and wasn't a creative decision to have it that way

It was planned. Also, when the Final Hours App mentions things like some people have played the entire game 35 times (including the ending). Or "9 years of work has come down to this". Kind of says to me, they did it intentionally like that. Or that they made the ending intentionally vague or was "not cut and dry".

Not sure if this was mentioned, but the Stargazer (at the end) is Buzz Aldrin.

A lot of people were expecting a huge grand finale, followed by a 2 hour epilogue tying everything up at the end (some were, not here though). Not just what happens to Shepard, but every living thing in the galaxy, even though it was stated to be the end of Shepard's story, not the entire franchise. Call it a story arc. I don't know, I feel that "rushed" thing gets tossed around a lot with games. Some people have even claimed a game in development for 5 years was rushed.

This post has been edited by Jeff: 22 December 2013 - 11:21 PM

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostDial V for Viper, on 22 December 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

I think the bigger issue is the dreary, clinical colour grading and the jacked up contrast level, which seem to be consistent with the rest of the game.
Except for the bloom overkill, I think the earliest screenshots of Mass Effect 3 actually look considerably more appealing.

Apart from that, I see an ongoing decline from ME 1 to 3 when it comes to the rendition of material properties:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not only do I greatly prefer the ME 1 armour in terms of design (less is definitely more here), but there's also clearly a more 'tactile' quality to the materials it's constructed with.
Playing ME 2, I can appreciate that Bioware still knew how to build engaging environments, but from a visual standpoint they already went too much with the times and ME 3 seems progressively worse in that respect.

View PostDial V for Viper, on 22 December 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

Did you play the game from Day 1 or fully patched with all DLC's? There's a huge difference in quality.

Played it once before the extended cut and once after. The game doesn't suddenly fix broken gameplay mechanics just by having a slightly better ending. The sidequest are still awful. The shooting still feels weak. The cover system still felt borked, and every combat scenario is repeated ad infinitum.

Seriously, that's the best you can do? Forget Illium, The Citadel, or Palaven, GRRRRRRR THEY COMPROMISED A HILL OF DEBRIS SO A HUGE ENDING LEVEL WOULD FIT IN A CONSOLES TINY ASS MEMORY FOOTPRINT.

It would have been fine if it was just that but ME3 looks ugly even when concerning the art department. The lens flare was cranked up to eleven and brown and grey the entire landscape. Also, large ending level? It's a straight line filled with cutscenes. A small line at that. Im fairly certain an entirely new level is loaded up once you enter the citadel, so what's the excuse? Perhaps it's just the fact that Bioware just gave up their hands in surrender. Wouldn't be the first time. DA2 proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt.(not that Origins was on par with Crysis but my god did that look bad.)

Lazy, yeah, kind of.

Of course it's lazy. It's even moreso when you consider they had an entire art department at the helm for one of the biggest releases of 2012. How can one justify using a public domain image for the reveal of one their most popular characters? They didn't use a real life actress, they simply pulled a random image off the net. There's no excuse for this.
Again, I don't want to care anymore. ME3 took up way too much of my time already. But everything i believe is wrong with the game is perfectly encapsulated in the Tali debacle.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostJeff, on 22 December 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

Or that they made the ending intentionally vague or was "not cut and dry".

Why didn't they stick to it then?

User is offline   Jeff 

View PostKathy, on 23 December 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

Why didn't they stick to it then?

I read an interesting article, which may explain why they did it.

Some even thought the beginning was rushed. Their reasoning? Doesn't explain that much as they wanted it to.

This post has been edited by Jeff: 23 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Are you saying they did it because EA forced them to? I haven't played the extended ending, but spoon feeding and showing a closure are two different things. Especially when they haven't explained much in the extended ending, AFAIK.

User is offline   Jeff 

View PostKathy, on 23 December 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

Are you saying they did it because EA forced them to? I haven't played the extended ending, but spoon feeding and showing a closure are two different things. Especially when they haven't explained much in the extended ending, AFAIK.

EA doesn't tell Bioware what to do. Greg Zeschuk was the Vice President of EA and co-founder of Bioware at the time that he quit the industry. He ran the whole Mass Effect project from day 1. Everything pretty much went through him.

Honestly a game this size would need a 2 hour epilogue to tie up everything, but who wants to sit through all that? Like I said, this is the end of Shepard's story, but a lot of people pretend that Shepard's story=Fate of every single person in the universe. Squadmates (like 15 of them?), minor characters (eg. Conrad Verner), difference races, etc, etc.

So instead of Bioware telling you what happens, they let you decide it all. In a game about player choice no less. They gave you the tools, and let you decide what happens. Just seems that a lot of people would rather have Bioware tell them what to think, than decide for themselves. What if they decided that Grunt ends up in a flower shop instead of doing what he does best? Initially, they let you decide that instead of telling you "X is what happens to this squadmate", "Y is what happens to this race". Instead of letting you decide.

People would be "I didn't want Grunt to work in a flower shop. I wanted something else". I wanted a Harbinger boss fight, little blue children, drinks with Garrus or [insert random closure] idea.

As for the vague ending, well they assumed people could fill in the blanks and participate in the story, but that plan went to hell very quickly.

This post has been edited by Jeff: 23 December 2013 - 02:03 PM

View Posttrustn0!, on 23 December 2013 - 02:38 AM, said:

Played it once before the extended cut and once after. The game doesn't suddenly fix broken gameplay mechanics just by having a slightly better ending. The sidequest are still awful. The shooting still feels weak. The cover system still felt borked, and every combat scenario is repeated ad infinitum.

The sidequests aren't massive because your team has been assembled and now it's time to defeat the Reapers as fast as possible.

The Leviathan, Citadel, and Omega DLC's were HUGE upgrades to the overall experience, I was lucky enough to play them on my first run.

The shooting is unchanged from Mass Effect 2, and the cover system is much improved. If it's "borked," maybe you should learn where your W, A, S and D keys are placed. I rarely had problems with the cover system unless I double tapped space like a mongoloid.

The combat scenarios weren't super varied in 2 either.

The only bad thing I can say about ME3's combat system is that I can't have Jack on my squad. There are no "biotic tanks" in ME3, just James Vega, who is great, but not the earth shattering destroyers Jack and Wrex were.

I tried every combination out there. I used Vanguard Shepard, Garrus, and Jack in ME2 and nothing else even came close in the other games. By the time you fully level up your squad, between you and Jack throwing people around, and Garrus' sniping entire squadrons would be reduced to floating meat skeet shooting.

The burning, screaming bodies floating over my head were fucking hilarious.

So why do you think it's broken?

It would have been fine if it was just that but ME3 looks ugly even when concerning the art department. The lens flare was cranked up to eleven and brown and grey the entire landscape. Also, large ending level? It's a straight line filled with cutscenes. A small line at that. Im fairly certain an entirely new level is loaded up once you enter the citadel, so what's the excuse? Perhaps it's just the fact that Bioware just gave up their hands in surrender. Wouldn't be the first time. DA2 proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt.(not that Origins was on par with Crysis but my god did that look bad.)

There is less color than ME2 or 3, I'll give you that. As for London, I was talking about memory footprint. There is broken shit everywhere, tons of textures, and more enemies than you can shake a stick at.

Spoiler

These games were not designed first and foremost for PC's. They were designed for systems where you have 256MB of RAM for each component (CPU, GPU). That's not including RAM "stolen" by the OS upon boot.

Yeah you can dynamically allocate RAM on the 360 but when you have jack shit to work with you're gonna go for a roughly even split.

As for why it's there? The player is distracted and their vision is blurred. That's why it's there, and not earlier in the map.

Of course it's lazy. It's even moreso when you consider they had an entire art department at the helm for one of the biggest releases of 2012. How can one justify using a public domain image for the reveal of one their most popular characters? They didn't use a real life actress, they simply pulled a random image off the net. There's no excuse for this.
Again, I don't want to care anymore. ME3 took up way too much of my time already. But everything i believe is wrong with the game is perfectly encapsulated in the Tali debacle.

The Tali thing is definitely laziness, although it could be that never seeing her face is a running gag.

Tali is fucking annoying, as are all the Quarians. Besides, she's a space Gyspy, so she'll just steal your credit card info, then divorce you, take your house, and your ship.

Real men fuck virtual aliens and bad ass sweet tatted up chicks who'd help you kick a guido's ass at a bar.

This post has been edited by Dial V for Viper: 23 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options