Duke4.net Forums: Rise Of The Triad for Android. Now FREE on Google Play - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rise Of The Triad for Android. Now FREE on Google Play

User is offline   Beloko 

Hi,

We have been working on ROTT for Android, we have a beta version available to test now!

Youtube video

Google Play Link

The Beta version allows you to automatically download the Shareware game (10 levels), or use your own data from the full game.

Features customisable controls (see video).

Any feedback or comments welcome.

Ludicrous Gibs! :)

This post has been edited by Beloko: 18 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostBeloko, on 21 December 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

Hi,

We have been working on ROTT for Android, we have a beta version available to test now!

Youtube video

Google Play Link

The Beta version allows you to automatically download the Shareware game (10 levels), or use your own data from the full game.

Features customisable controls (see video).

Any feedback or comments welcome.

Ludicrous Gibs! :)

Very cool, seems to work pretty well. Where can I find the source? Is it using SDL or something else?

User is offline   Beloko 

View PostTerminX, on 21 December 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

Very cool, seems to work pretty well. Where can I find the source? Is it using SDL or something else?

Thanks, yes using icculus SDL port. Source will be available when released (hopefully soon!)

• el fundador

You might consider just throwing a repo up on GitHub now, since you've made binaries available to the public at this point. You don't really want to run afoul of the licensing terms of the ROTT source code. :)

User is offline   Beloko 

View PostTerminX, on 21 December 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

You might consider just throwing a repo up on GitHub now, since you've made binaries available to the public at this point. You don't really want to run afoul of the licensing terms of the ROTT source code. :)

Yes sure I'll put it up when the code is a bit cleaner :)
I'm happy to email you the source if want it now.

Any comments on the game so far welcome!

• el fundador

I can wait for a released version. I've been meaning to do an Android version of EDuke32 for a while, so I really want it for reasons that aren't too helpful to you.

I can offer a few comments based on playing the newest build for a few minutes, though!

1) it's a bit awkward that there are touch buttons on top of where the game displays messages
2) the map mode needs zooming, still talks about using < and > to perform functions (which aren't available)
3) the icon has a bunch of excess white background pixels
4) I suggest getting rid of the on-screen keys and enter button during the load screens and other places where they aren't directly used
5) the looking up and down is a bit weird, seems like it might be tied to framerate instead of an independent counter, so sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's too slow, sometimes it's too fast, etc. Could just all be in my head. Regardless, the functionality isn't too useful currently.

I'll try to fool with it a bit more tonight and see if I come up with anything else.

User is offline   Lunick 

Is this better than the iOS port?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

TX, I know this is off-topic, but would you consider doing an iOS port of eduke32 as well? Something free where users can just drop the duke3d.grp into the app in itunes then play? The official iOS port as you probably know is rubbish.

• el fundador

Does iTunes even support dropping random data files into apps?

User is offline   Lunick 

Yeah, I would give you a few examples but I don't exactly have one on me at the moment but some apps allow you to put external files onto the iPod.

I know of one that allows you to sync Doom wads to the iPod so you can play those.

• Honored Donor

Yeah. Open up your idevice in iTunes, and at the top there's tabs for things like music, photos etc.. click on the apps tab, and at the bottom of the screen there's a list of apps which you can transfer files to and from. For example you can drop movies into video players, play around with files from Pages (like Microsoft Word for iOS) and so on.

Edit: You're too fast for me Lunick.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 21 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

• el fundador

Well, in that case I guess anything is possible. An Android version would come first, of course, but an iOS version is an unlikely but not impossible idea.

User is offline   Beloko 

View PostTerminX, on 21 December 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

I can wait for a released version. I've been meaning to do an Android version of EDuke32 for a while, so I really want it for reasons that aren't too helpful to you.

OK well just let me know, its a worthy cause! I don't know how much Android dev you have done, but something to think about is how you reload the opengl context and textures everytime the app loses focus (phone call etc). This is usually the one of main PITA when porting existing games in my experience.

I can offer a few comments based on playing the newest build for a few minutes, though!

1) it's a bit awkward that there are touch buttons on top of where the game displays messages

Thanks. Yes agreed, I guess I could push them down a bit, but as is the usual problem - running out of screen estate.

2) the map mode needs zooming, still talks about using < and > to perform functions (which aren't available)

Yep, need a new control layout for the map.

3) the icon has a bunch of excess white background pixels

Ah yea, lost transparency somewhere!

4) I suggest getting rid of the on-screen keys and enter button during the load screens and other places where they aren't directly used

Would look better I agree...just need to find and detect those places in the code :)

5) the looking up and down is a bit weird, seems like it might be tied to framerate instead of an independent counter, so sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's too slow, sometimes it's too fast, etc. Could just all be in my head. Regardless, the functionality isn't too useful currently.

Yes I noticed that too. I mainly added those button to allow flying up/down when you have the 'Wings' power up. I very rarely look up/down as it kind of auto-aims when shooting. Its why I didn't put veritcal mouse-look on the right stick as well.

Thanks a lot for the comments, very useful.
I'm happy to give any code which may be useful for the EDuke32 port.

Cheers.

User is offline   Beloko 

Hi,

Now released for free:

ROTT Touch on Google Play

I was going to update this with new touch control system I made for Quake1+2 but don't have time so have just released it free.

Check out Quake also :)
Quake Touch

Quake 2 Touch

I may have time to work on another game, so far I am thinking one of:
Doom
Jedi Knight 2 (I have this running on Android already)
Shadow Warrior
Duke 3D
Blake Stone :D

User is offline   Lunick 

Well it works for me, too bad I am not such a fan of the game.

• el fundador

View PostBeloko, on 17 July 2013 - 01:27 AM, said:

Doom
Jedi Knight 2 (I have this running on Android already)
Shadow Warrior
Duke 3D
Blake Stone :)

Come to the dark side and help get EDuke32 running!

• Honored Donor

And then do an iOS port Posted Image

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 17 July 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

And then do an iOS port Posted Image

Keep dreaming :)

User is offline   Hank 

View PostBeloko, on 17 July 2013 - 01:27 AM, said:

Quake 2 Touch

Duke 3D

Quake 2 - wow Posted Image

b.t.w.
Duke has an androit port here
https://play.google....st.duke3d&hl=en

as TerminX mentioned, please consider EDuke32, pretty please, with sugar on top, and so on Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I third a plea for EDuke32.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostHank, on 17 July 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

Quake 2 - wow Posted Image

b.t.w.
Duke has an androit port here
https://play.google....st.duke3d&hl=en

as TerminX mentioned, please consider EDuke32, pretty please, with sugar on top, and so on Posted Image

Why did you have to bring up that horrible horrible port :)

User is offline   Hank 

View PostLunick, on 17 July 2013 - 05:13 AM, said:

Why did you have to bring up that horrible horrible port :)

... to show what happens when you ignore all the research and sweat and tears that so far went into EDuke32. Posted Image

User is offline   fgsfds 

View PostTerminX, on 17 July 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:

Come to the dark side and help get EDuke32 running!

Btw, are you still working android port, or it was just a temporary idea, and you abandoned it already?

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

^It wasn't temporary but no one on our team has the knowledge necessary to set up the SDL and OpenGL ES stuff for the engine.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

FOR THE LOVE OF BUDDA PLEASE EDUKE32 FOR ANDROID! and mapster32...

User is offline   Lunick 

The game disappeared from Google Play?

User is offline   Beloko 

View PostLunick, on 14 August 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

The game disappeared from Google Play?

Yeah sorry had to remove it.
I can email you the apk if you want to try it out, let me know.

• Honored Donor

Why was it removed?

User is offline   Beloko 

View PostMikko C, on 15 August 2013 - 01:06 AM, said:

Why was it removed?

It was my choice to remove it, I don't believe there was any legal issue with it.
There was the possibility of an offical port which may or may not happen - at this time it was easier to temporarliy remove.
It will be republished in some form or another!

User is offline   miguel 

Hi Beloko ,i m fan of Rott, can you sendme the apk link for play it on Android? thank you in advance. MIGUEL

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options