Duke4.net Forums: Redneck Rampage on Eduke32 - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Redneck Rampage on Eduke32  "An interesting hacking from Russia"

User is offline   LAW 

Yay. All maps from the Rides Again are ready, except of a few tweaks, like not working door or flying plant.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I'm going to use this thread for this question... I've got GOG RR and I can't seem to make my makemap work at all, it just starts and closes itself... what could be the problem?

User is offline   Nukeaholic 

Hope the bug in the Ruins level gets fixed completely but I really cannot wait for RR support. Keep up the good work lads.

User is offline   Diaz 

DavoX, on 09 June 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

I'm going to use this thread for this question... I've got GOG RR and I can't seem to make my makemap work at all, it just starts and closes itself... what could be the problem?

Are you running it in Dosbox?

Try extracting *.art and *.dat from REDNECK.GRP, I believe makemap needs the files to be in there...

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Nope, still doesn't work :lol: even the map files are extracted but still no dice...

User is offline   Diaz 

You have to run it in DosBox, guess you're doing that already?

Otherwise I have no idea what could be wrong...

User is offline   LAW 

Nukeaholic, on 09 June 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

Hope the bug in the Ruins level gets fixed completely but I really cannot wait for RR support. Keep up the good work lads.

Yes it is fixed. But to make it clear: we are not adding Redneck support to the pure Eduke32 itself. We are making three main Redneck games playable with the Erampage32.

DavoX: Do you have Dos4gw.exe in the dir? I don't remember if it was required for Makemap.exe, but it was essential for Edittset.exe and the Rr.exe.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

How come you never replied to my PM asking what kinds of changes needed to be made to the maps? It would be a LOT more sensible to just support the RR effects as-is in the binary so that map changes aren't necessary at all.

User is offline   LAW 

TerminX, on 09 June 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

How come you never replied to my PM asking what kinds of changes needed to be made to the maps? It would be a LOT more sensible to just support the RR effects as-is in the binary so that map changes aren't necessary at all.

Whaaaat? I love Redneck and I will answer to anybody willing to help with its port. Here is what I have written, straight from the conversation's archive:

We are replacing sprites which were resistant to coding (inside lightning effect) or totally hard-coded (E1L2's table saw) with the ones I've coded. All jaildoor sprites needs to be replaced with Duke's typical SE - GSPEED combo. Some effects need to be emulated, some have to be scrapped (like exploding gas stations). Erampage adds xdelta-like patches at the map load time. The effect is not that bad. All in all I think the edited maps are 95% like originals.

That was my answer, maybe not too detailed, but I was in a hurry. I am sure, so freakin' sure that the coding guru like you and Eduke32's father would have solved all the problems we were struggling with in no time.

Anyway, my and Jon's goal on the upcoming release is to make RR and RA work with port. So, this include two major factors: editing maps and ading/fixing/emulating some effects (mostly from RA). And this goal is almost achieved. I would have achieved more with editing the source code, but it was based on the now ancient Eduke32 version. It is very stable, works in Win2k :lol:, but it has one awful drawback, which I have recently discovered: no TROR. I am not amused by that. Shadow Warrior's style TROR was used in the two levels (Refinery and Brothel), there was also some odd 3D effect in Uranium Mines (which I have to yet understand) and finally exploding gas stations switched sectors in the TROR's manner (I am not sure if it moves sectors or if it alters the sectors' properties to be equal with twin sectors' properties).

I really hope you would add support for RR games to the Eduke32. Me and Jon are ready to provide any info and answers any questions. Of course it won't be a case, if your secret mission is success.

This post has been edited by LAW: 09 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

User is offline   NNC 

Nukeaholic, on 09 June 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

Do you mean the SOS glitch? That was quite annoying.

User is offline   Nukeaholic 

LAW, on 09 June 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

Yes it is fixed. But to make it clear: we are not adding Redneck support to the pure Eduke32 itself. We are making three main Redneck games playable with the Erampage32.

Great stuff and okay, I understand now, thanks for clearing that up.

Nancsi, on 10 June 2013 - 03:08 AM, said:

Do you mean the SOS glitch? That was quite annoying.

SOS glitch? If you mean at the end of the level where the switch is pressed and half the time the door gets locked then yes, that one (sorry, you lost me when you said SOS glitch). I did look for a fix to that one and apparently commenting out something called "fix.exe" (I think it was called) fixed the problem (GOG version).

User is offline   LAW 

I was thinking about key error in the Ruins. SOS error would be hard to repair: can you imagine moving about 500 sectors up or down? We have better stuff to do. Besides I am lucky, because the error has never occured to me in DOS Redneck, nor in Erampage32, unless under RDCLIP cheat.

Anyway, while typing this I have an email with the remaining map fixes. Jon says everything works in these last edited maps. So I have to assemble everything together and release. There will probably be a page on moddb and a movie on my youtube channel.

I want to say this now, to make it crystal clear later. This mod will be released as is. Its main goal was: to make Redneck Rampage, Rides Again and Route 66 games playable in Windows with high level of faithfulness to the originals. You got it right, high level of faithfulness. Not perfect, not everything, not at this moment. Me and Jon wanted the Redneck games being playable not in 2015, but now. So we did it for ourselves and we are kind enough to release it to the public :lol:

We MIGHT need a playtester to "breeze" through 42 Redneck levels. The person would need to know these levels and how to complete them.

This post has been edited by LAW: 10 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

User is offline   LAW 

The file is ready and sent to Jon. He is going to post it on his website pretty soon. In the meantime a few screenshots:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 03.jpg
  • Attached Image: 05.jpg
  • Attached Image: 06.jpg
  • Attached Image: 07.jpg
  • Attached Image: 08.jpg

User is offline   m210® 

The file is ready and sent to Jon. He is going to post it on his website pretty soon.

Can you give me a link on his website? :lol:

User is offline   Jon 

It is now posted. Pick it up here Totally Redneck

User is offline   m210® 

User is offline   LAW 

M210, on 16 June 2013 - 01:06 AM, said:

Can you give me a link on his website? :D

How can you not know Totally Redneck? :lol:

Jon, on 16 June 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

It is now posted. Pick it up here Totally Redneck

Thank you very much Jon!

Jon was very kind and quick at mapping. He indeed knows all Redneck effects and secrets from every level. Thanks for your kind words and I am sorry I was an ass that ONE time.

TerminX, I included GNU and Build licenses and I even mentioned that this port is based on impressive Eduke32, even though it is a completely false term :lol:

This post has been edited by LAW: 16 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

User is offline   Jon 

LAW, on 16 June 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

How can you not know Totally Redneck? :lol:

Thank you very much Jon!

Jon was very kind and quick at mapping. He indeed knows all Redneck effects and secrets from every level. Thanks for your kind words and I am sorry I was an ass that ONE time.

TerminX, I included GNU and Build licenses and I even mentioned that this port is based on impressive Eduke32, even though it is a completely false term :lol:

Yeah, that's cool. I'm sure play testing the same maps for the 400th time in one evening added to the stress.

I'm glad its finally playable. Now if only someone could make the bowling alley work...

User is offline   Jim 

What is this RT66.grp file? I have a bunch of map files inside a route 66 folder, but no such grp file. How do I make Route 66 work? Thanks!

User is offline   Skulldog 

Jim, on 16 June 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

What is this RT66.grp file? I have a bunch of map files inside a route 66 folder, but no such grp file. How do I make Route 66 work? Thanks!

Can download here.
http://www.jonhunt.c.../other/rt66.zip

This post has been edited by Skulldog: 17 June 2013 - 05:51 AM

User is offline   m210® 

How can you not know Totally Redneck?

I really don't know :lol:

Btw, original Redneck Rampage hasn't "quick kick" command
There is absurd to see two crowbars in player hands, therefore I propose to add this command:
onevent EVENT_QUICKKICK
setvar RETURN -1
endevent

This post has been edited by M210: 17 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Wow, it's like taking a time machine back to the mid-nineties.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I bought the RR pack on GoG.com some while ago, but couldn't talk myself into playing it because I found the plain DOS release without the conveniences I know from EDuke32 to be insufficient. Maybe now it's finally time to try it at long last, if it's really more or less fully playable, as you say. :lol:

User is offline   nsnake 

Great port, or should I say "hack". :lol: Thank you very much, guys! :lol:

But I have problem with the new skyboxes - they don't appear in game at all. Yes I edited redneck.def, as readme says, but all I get is standard RR sky textures, that looks distorted in OpenGL.
Any suggestions?

User is offline   LAW 

The OpenGL skyboxes aren't really new. I only kept the ones, which don't keep repeating themselves over and over, like a mosaic, plus I added two new textures. They are a bit distorted, because they are not hi-tile, but I wanted to solve repeating problem only, so I guess you would have to live with any kind of deformations. Besides, I am not sure what do you mean, because I can't see that.

User is offline   nsnake 

Thanks for the reply, LAW. :lol:

I see this in polymost:
Posted Image

And this in polymer:
Posted Image

Nothing gamebreaking, of course, but I don't see anything like this:
Posted Image

By the way, what render is better for this port - polymost or polymer?

User is offline   LAW 

That's the normal behaviour: the old-fashioned sky is stretched. But you don't have thr "mosaic" effect. Get the default REDNECK.DEF, run E1L2 and tell me if you like that sky instead (polymost).

Polymer is slow and it produces weird effects like the plane flying backwards in the Rides Again Sunny Shores level. It is not advised to use it at all.

Polymost is mostly good, but it produces weird glitches with maskwalled bushes, foliage and fences. They need to be perfectly aligned or the glitches will happen. It is not a case in the original RR (probably), but moving cars from RA, few levels from RT66 and a dozen of usermaps produces glitches in polymost.

I like software. No glitches, only the HUD refresh rate is a bit slow. I repeat, no glitches and I get 130FPS in my fav 800x600. Do I need more? :lol:

User is offline   nsnake 

Now I finally understand it, thank you LAW. "New" sky looks better, indeed! :lol:

Original redneck.def:
Posted Image

Edited redneck.def:
Posted Image

About render, I see you point. But I'll continue using polymost for this port. I just hate pixels very much, becase they so ugly. :lol:

User is offline   Mateos 

nsnake, on 20 June 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

I just hate pixels very much, becase they so ugly. :lol:

Then keep in mind anything displayed on your screen is made of pixels :lol:

User is offline   LAW 

nsnake, on 20 June 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

Now I finally understand it, thank you LAW. "New" sky looks better, indeed! :lol:

On my setup they do. I wonder what kind of resolution are you using? Isn't "simple" HD Ready enough for Redneck?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options