Duke4.net Forums: Hollywood Holocaust Remake - Part 1 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hollywood Holocaust Remake - Part 1  "My User Map inspired from E1L1"

User is offline   Bruno 

Hi !

I just finished the first part of my user map relying on Hollywood Holocaust map from Duke3d.

- Duke plus required
- HRP required
- Polymer render, if your computer doesnt' turn too slowly with polymer render... It looks much better than in polymost.

Now, i'm working on the second part of the Hollywood Remake. I also try to make a "intro" map.

Tell me what you think of this part. I was forced to stop this part because of the wall limit... ;)

Sorry for the framerate.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I took a quick look in the editor, and it seems quite impressive.

User is offline   underTaker 

Played it, and it was really great! It however didn't remind me Hollywood Holocaust, but the detailing was stunning!
You could split the map in few parts creating mini-episode.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I also had a look in mapster. It looked very good even without the polymer lights. The problem is, and I normally consider my machine decent at running polymer, the framerate was almost unplayable even with lights disabled.
There were a few minor things that could use improvement, such as fence sprites needing the shade of their floor sector, and the road bridge made out of sprites really needs a proper underside, but otherwise it's a fantastic piece of work; huge, immersive, quite realistic for a Duke map in terms of design, relatively speaking.

My question is, do you really need all those HUGE point lights? A similar effect could be achieved if they were made moderately smaller. Those big red lights in particular are a bit unrealistic, but drag the framerate down considerably. If it's possible, you should take undertaker's advice and maybe split it up into smaller sections. That would do wonders for the framerate. I mean having giant lights in polymer is a framerate killer, having giant levels where you can see everything from everywhere is a framerate killer, and you've gone ahead and done both in the same map! That's framerate suicide Posted Image

I'm sure when polymer's optimised this will be a great and beautiful map to play, but until then if you want to make another map, I'd suggest building it so that large areas are a bit smaller, and separated by white walls or sectors that close off like ceiling doors. If you have a room with a ceiling door and a light on the other side, when the door closes, the light won't be rendered anymore, which is very useful. For example, instead of having one huge area, have two smaller areas seperated by a building, so that you can't see both outdoor areas at the same time.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Screenies please? ;)

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Lol, even without the HRP I get about 5 frames per second. I'll pass.

User is offline   Bruno 

Thank you for all the advice, I will take note of these advices for my next maps. Everything that can be said will help me for my future maps. ;)

I think we need to play this map with computers from Nasa in order to have a better framerate lol.

To answer the question on the polymer lights, I do not know, it was just fun to build this map (my first with Mapster).
By the past, I was making my maps using Build like everyone else, and therefore, this problem of framerate due to lights doesn't exist, of course. But, what I built was really crap lol.

User is offline   Paul B 

Bruno you did a bang up job. I haven't had a chance to play this map yet but i've checked it out in Mapster really quickly. It looks amazing!

The detail and design and atmosphere are unreal. I think this map works better as its own entity then using it as a replacement for E1L1. Great job! I'm looking forward to actually playing this map as soon as I get home from work!

*** Update *** I played the map and I just want to say that this City map has been the most amazing City Block i've ever seen in a Duke 3D map considering TROR wasn't used. Great Job with such an exciting release!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 11 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

A worthy successor of Duke Nukem Eternity. ;)
Greetings from a DukePlus/HRP fanboy.

User is offline   Bruno 

Thank you all !! :P Very motivating !

But less polymer lights for the next map (to be more "playable").

Indeed, I'm too lazy to learn how to use TROR ;)

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostBruno, on 11 May 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

Thank you all !! :P Very motivating !

But less polymer lights for the next map (to be more "playable").

Indeed, I'm too lazy to learn how to use TROR ;)

Not to slight Duke Plus. But do you think your next map could just be playable with regular Eduke? Make it backwards compatible if possible?

This post has been edited by Paul B: 11 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

User is offline   Bruno 

View PostPaul B, on 11 May 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

Not to slight Duke Plus. But do you think your next map could just be playable with regular Eduke? Make it backwards compatible if possible?

I can for future maps. For the moment, I have to finish some maps using HRP, Polymer lights and Dukeplus. As LeoD, I am a big fan of these incredible mods. Dukeplus have some really good gameplay improvements.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

I want to play this in the night for better results...

Shots plz!!!!!!

User is offline   Bruno 

View PostNorvak, on 12 May 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

I want to play this in the night for better results...

Shots plz!!!!!!

Sorry, I forgot screenshots...

Don't forget to play it with Dukeplus !

But it is unplayable with polymer ;)

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Have you considered making a non-Polymer version?

User is offline   Bruno 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 12 May 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

Have you considered making a non-Polymer version?

Maybe, I don't know, because I've got a lots of things to do on the other map. But why not ?
Thank you for the idea !

This post has been edited by Bruno: 12 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

my moderate rig was fine until i went into the apartment then i entered lag hell and had to shut the lights off

as a side note the map is unplayable in polymost. i didn't look as to why but the blue lock disappears so progression is killed by not being able to enter the parking garage.

second side note. the red locked door (not the elevator) opens without a key. map can be finished without going through the yellow locked section and having to fetch fuses

This post has been edited by Forge: 12 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

Looks very cool, but the outdoor parts were pretty much unplayable due to the framerate ;)

User is offline   Bruno 

View PostForge, on 12 May 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

I didn't look as to why but the blue lock disappears so progression is killed by not being able to enter the parking garage.

second side note. the red locked door (not the elevator) opens without a key. map can be finished without going through the yellow locked section and having to fetch fuses

Ok, thank you for having me aware of these problems. I'll have to fix that. If you found other glitche, don't hesitate, tell me. But, when I was playing, I didn't have these two issue. So, sorry, I'm not a pro for level design...

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostBruno, on 13 May 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

So, sorry, I'm not a pro for level design...
Well, I'd pay for an episode of that quality. Btw, you should add a TXT file so that random downloaders who get it from other sites at least know who created this fine piece of work and what the prerequisites are.

User is offline   Hank 

One thing, which was sort of mentioned before and I mention again. In Mapster32, top left, when in 3D, mode is the FPS counter. When you make open areas, and you have a lot, position yourself in one of the furthest corner of the open area and pan (look around) in a circular motion to all near and far away corners. Also, don't forget windows that look through vast open areas.

At angles where the FPS dips drastically down is your problem area with too many sprites and/or sectors for the game engine to handle. For average gamers to play those maps, you simply need to either reduce the number of sectors or split the area apart. I did that trick with my last officially issued map, and still got a 94 score out of it, because it was playable. For example, some of your blocked sectors have no play value, simply delete them, and paint a building there.

Also, the engines that cater to open space like Cryengine and Dunia Engine use up a lot of comp power. Thus in the foreseeable future, vast open areas are trouble, not just in EDuke32

Bottom line though, I like this map, and I like your style. Keep it up! Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostLeoD, on 13 May 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

Btw, you should add a TXT file so that random downloaders who get it from other sites at least know who created this fine piece of work and what the prerequisites are.

i usually take the liberty of making text files when none are included and i know who made it

http://www.scent-88....M/map1/map1.php

User is offline   Bruno 

View PostForge, on 13 May 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

i usually take the liberty of making text files when none are included and i know who made it

http://www.scent-88....M/map1/map1.php

Thank you for sharing it !!!! (and also, for the very good description) ;)

By the way, I discover a very good Duke Nukem website ! :P

Just two very little things to had :

Difficulty settings : Yes
Author : Bruno Lombard

Ok, Leo D, I will had a text file too.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Those screenies really look impressive. Actually, I'd even like to play that in 8-bit without any HRP stuff (or even DukePlus) required.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 May 2013 - 03:05 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Looks brilliant, but it's unplayable, and I haven't got a slouch rig.

User is online   Mark 

I had problems too. Just so I could play it I tweaked the SE lighting in various places. Huge SE 50 spotlights were changed to smaller sizes or replaced with SE 49 point lights. Some huge SE 49's were changed to smaller ones. And for the huge explosion fest at the start I removed about 100 or so of them. It made things playable in most areas of the map ( which is very cool indeed).

User is offline   Bruno 

I'm a late... Sorry ! It's been weeks since I am not connected to the forum.

I'm still working on the sequel of the map E1L1 and its introduction.

But due to personal considérations, I have a lot less time for mapster.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostBruno, on 21 July 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

I'm a late... Sorry ! It's been weeks since I am not connected to the forum.

I'm still working on the sequel of the map E1L1 and its introduction.

But due to personal considérations, I have a lot less time for mapster.
The Duke Nukem community is a patient one... :P

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Nice Intro. Invasion scene inspired by Mars Attacks!, I suppose?

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Necro post?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options