Duke4.net Forums: 8th Generation Video Game consoles. (PS4 & Xbox 720) - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

8th Generation Video Game consoles. (PS4 & Xbox 720)  "Looking forward to the future of Sony & Microsoft?"

User is offline   thatguy 

So how would siding with Used Games making me a successful game developer?

Sorry I'm optimistic on the idea that people don't need to get second rate products by breaking the bank. Fuck me right? Yeah, I want to buy a used game. Maybe if you read my whole post, you'd understand that it makes sense for the current generation, but no the digital one.

PSN had a discount on Borderlands 1 & 2 for $20 if you have playstation plus. You'd be lucky to find Borderlands 2 used for that price. But hell, lets chose getting a used game instead of a new game for a much cheaper price.

Portal 2 was 50% off on steam a week or two after release. Not because it was shit, but because it could be done without shitting on developers & publishers.

Practically every new game on Steam is released with a discount for a week, more so with pre-ordering.

I guess you guys would prefer to overspend on used games than get new games at a discount.

View Post486DX2, on 29 April 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

Your past resume includes companies who worked on games such as "Pug Run," "Despicable Me," and "My Baby Einstein."

Are you really that much of a failure or are you a straight up pedophile? You couldn't even hold a job at those places.

You've never done so much as collect classic games, discuss the 90's, or configure a SET BLASTER variable.

There's the fucking door, don't let it hit you in the cunt on the way out.

Also, in response to the insults on my past experience, I somehow believe this person didn't do any research at all. Lyric Legends 1 & 2 were huge hits on the iOS app store. Additionally, WayForward Technologies are the minds behind a shit load of great games and not so great. I also worked on animation for Kung Fu Panda at Sunken Media. Did you hand select random games to make a very pathetic attempt at a joke?

Maybe you'd prefer I work for some shitty publisher or developer where I am nothing more than a little pawn in some corporate scheme?

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 29 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

Siding with used games isn't about you being a successful game developer, it's about an option being available that works for people. Being against used games is supporting the notion of forcing a business model down people's throat - which is exactly what Sony and Microsoft are trying to do. Instead of doing things in a reasonable way just like every other industry, they are forcing their survival on people instead of being susceptible to the same market forces as every other company. What you are suggesting is like saying I shouldn't be able to buy a coffee table from a thrift store because the industry wants to sell new coffee tables at a discount which may not even bring the price to the same level as the coffee table in the thrift store. It's not about better options for customers, it's about eliminating options for customers

And you still have yet to justify an online-only approach to distribution in the case of people who do not have access to unlimited broadband access. Are they supposed to just deal with it because the industry doesn't like giving people options? Doesn't seem like a very smart business move. Moreover whenever you centralize something like this you make a dependence that is not always going to work out for people. That's why I'm generally against cloud computing. If all of your data is with one company's server, what are you going to do when the company is gone? What are you going to do when they use your data to manipulate you and block you off from getting to it? You are supporting the scenario so feared in films where corporations run everything.

This post has been edited by Alan: 30 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 29 April 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

Steam has proven that Used Games is a BS scheme for ignorant people. Used games work for the current generation, but not when a console generation will be taking a giant leap to Digital Distribution like the PC. Look at steam, it has more discounts than any console ever and it is capable of discounts a week or so after on even good games. Used Games is a dumb flaw for 'Physical' games. Ownership is overrated.

The one problem w/ Steam is the Steamworks. Steamworks = DRM. If the Steam goes offline or you're disconnected from the internet you won't be able to play your games, b/c those games requires an internet connection. 10-20 years from now if you want to play those games again and the servers are long gone. Then you're SOL & JWF b/c those games require those servers to run on. Resulting those games in single player mode refusing to run those games for you. I perfer GOG.com over Steam b/c their games are always DRM-free and doesn't require an internet connection to play single player games. Since you downvoted my post about the "GOG > Steam > Origin" S.B. I think you're Pro-DRM.

As for the used games thing. I agree w/ George Broussard (co-founder of 3D Realms) of what he has to say a/b used games:

I have no issue with used game sales on places like ebay or other places. Customers have the right to re-sell their items. What I dislike is Gamestop selling used games the week a game is released. Gamestop gets to sell that game for $50 and keep 100% of the money. The developer and publisher get screwed and this is the exact time when retail copies are being sold and the publisher and developer are trying to recoup development costs.

It would be nice if the game industry has the equivalent of a movie theater first run, for three months or so. Then there would be less of an issue.

Courtesy of Formspring: http://4ms.me/Ybd3yD

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 01 May 2013 - 04:45 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 29 April 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

Also, in response to the insults on my past experience, I somehow believe this person didn't do any research at all. Lyric Legends 1 & 2 were huge hits on the iOS app store. Additionally, WayForward Technologies are the minds behind a shit load of great games and not so great. I also worked on animation for Kung Fu Panda at Sunken Media. Did you hand select random games to make a very pathetic attempt at a joke?

Maybe you'd prefer I work for some shitty publisher or developer where I am nothing more than a little pawn in some corporate scheme?

I don't think that we give a shit about crappy cash in iOS titles here. Stop acting like you're "in the industry" with your resume on your friggin' sig. There are mod projects on here that have more heart and soul in one level than all the corporate crap you've made.

User is offline   thatguy 

Yay, a bunch of whining PC gaming hipsters.

This post has been edited by thatguy: 30 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

Yay, a troll with yet another valueless reply.

This post has been edited by Alan: 30 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

View Postthatguy, on 30 April 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

Yay, a bunch of whining PC gaming hipsters.

Posted Image

Well I'm not trolling, I genuinely can't stand him.

Looks like he changed his name too. Who uses their real name as their handle? The fuck?

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 30 April 2013 - 10:54 PM

View Post486DX2, on 30 April 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

Well I'm not trolling, I genuinely can't stand him.

Looks like he changed his name too. Who uses their real name as their handle? The fuck?

It appears he wants to protect his reputation or some shit like that.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

"Oh no, people might not like me."

What a loser.

BUT IF EMPLOYERS SEE MY POSTS HERE THEY WON'T LET ME DRAW PANDAS AGAIN

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 02 May 2013 - 07:15 AM

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

moar liek dongpandas

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View Post486DX2, on 29 April 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

(...)

Trolling is one thing, personal insults another. Keep it civil or keep quiet. Closed.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options