Duke4.net Forums: Ugh, it just dawned on me how bad the main campaign is. - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ugh, it just dawned on me how bad the main campaign is.

User is offline   Gambini 

Good resume. The game had its moments, but I, as one, could not stop missing things i was expecting to see. It also has too many damn flaws put together, like intentionally.

User is offline   blackharted3 

• Resident Dufus

Hey I remember this thread. :) Yeah I had some good times here, I didn't know people still posted in it. :P Well I guess I'm no better, as I'm doing the exact same thing. lol!

Hell you know what, I reckon we should all start playing it again, because now, I reckon it will feel fresh to play DNF once again. I know I haven't played the main campaign is ages, so it feel I would enjoy it more if I did.

Oh wait a minute I think I'm just gonna start a trend of re-hashing things again. I'm mean what's left to say that hasn't been said before? On top of all that, I have a feeling this whole thing is gonna end up in a big, DNF vs. TDWCM arugment again. So I'm going to do the right thing now and shut my mouth. :)

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostOwls-Of-Men, on 04 April 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

The game has some great interactivity, even if it is seen during the linear course. I literally spent hours in Duke's underground lair driving with RC Cars and playing pinball. The Strip Club is surprisingly open and let's you play some other fun mini-games too.

The problem was lack of consistent world interactivity. Interactive moments were divided into bits throughout campaign. Levels weren't interactive, only some parts were where you were supposed to interact. That's where DNF failed for me.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Here's one good example. In the sequence where you're heading to the Duke Dome, and you get trapped in the trailer fighting pigs, across the way from where you're fighting off the pigs are some explosive canisters. You can blow them up and they'll kill nearby enemies.

Well, right next to that a spot in the wall that blows up if/when the pig transport goes behind there. Yet, if you shoot the canisters, that wall does not blow open (And thus you cannot get the RPG that is back there.). This can happen if you shoot down the pig transport, which will immediately cut around all the sequence of events to where the pigs tip the trailer over. (I used pipe bombs to finish off the transport.)

I find that rather funny. But it's a good example of one of the problems with this game. You have to do it the way the game wants you to do it, and if you don't, you'll get punished for it. As TB pointed out in his review, there are spots where it looks like you should be able to jump-to and explore, but instead you get an instant death for it. Which is so antithetical to the Duke experience of looking for secrets. Just look at Hollywood Holocaust, or even the incredibly atmospheric ABYSS, wherein you have dozens and dozens of places to explore.

User is offline   uh . . . . 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 05 April 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

Here's one good example. In the sequence where you're heading to the Duke Dome, and you get trapped in the trailer fighting pigs, across the way from where you're fighting off the pigs are some explosive canisters. You can blow them up and they'll kill nearby enemies.

Well, right next to that a spot in the wall that blows up if/when the pig transport goes behind there. Yet, if you shoot the canisters, that wall does not blow open (And thus you cannot get the RPG that is back there.). This can happen if you shoot down the pig transport, which will immediately cut around all the sequence of events to where the pigs tip the trailer over. (I used pipe bombs to finish off the transport.)

I find that rather funny. But it's a good example of one of the problems with this game. You have to do it the way the game wants you to do it, and if you don't, you'll get punished for it. As TB pointed out in his review, there are spots where it looks like you should be able to jump-to and explore, but instead you get an instant death for it. Which is so antithetical to the Duke experience of looking for secrets. Just look at Hollywood Holocaust, or even the incredibly atmospheric ABYSS, wherein you have dozens and dozens of places to explore.

You can actually hop out of the trailer by grabbing the round red barrel in the area previous and bring inside with you to then place it on the copying machine, you can then just jump out, lol. Everything will occur the same and you can then fight the enemies out in the open instead, which is much more fun anyway, and they will still go to tip the trailer over despite you not being in it. I've found a few out of map or sequence breaking areas of the game.

This post has been edited by uh . . . .: 05 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

• Judge Mental

That's what happens when developers get locked into "Now next the player has to..." instead of "Wouldn't it be cool if the player could do ...?"

View PostCommando Nukem, on 05 April 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

That's what happens when developers get locked into "Now next the player has to..." instead of "Wouldn't it be cool if the player could do ...?"

What's even funnier is that you if place a tall explosive right by the fence with the button, you can then hop onto the cement by it which is high enough for you to then jump onto the explosive and then jump over the fence. That's right, you don't even have to go inside the trailer.

View PostGambini, on 04 April 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

Good resume. The game had its moments, but I, as one, could not stop missing things i was expecting to see. It also has too many damn flaws put together, like intentionally.

I guess I had the blessing of ignorance in this regard.
Although, after looking through the bonus features, they seemed to have some awesome ideas. To bad they were never implemented...

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostOwls-Of-Men, on 05 April 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

Although, after looking through the bonus features, they seemed to have some awesome ideas. To bad they were never implemented...

Heh, what you talked about is pretty much exactly what pretty much everyone here has also thought (also some people weren't as bothered by some things as others), so it's interesting to see an "outsider" has come to the same conclusion.

A big problem with the interactivity in DNF, is that the developers have taken anything that involves "press e to watch a scripted sequence" or "tap space repeatedly to accomplish task" to be interactivity. Whereas in Duke 3D, all the interactivity/destructible objects/areas made total sense. It's about time they realized quick time events do not count as interactivity!!!! Sure, a lot of the stuff in Duke 3D consisted of just pressing e, but it's been over a decade since then, surely they can come up with something better than a white board, 3 arcade games and a poker machine.

• Judge Mental

View PostTrooper Mick, on 05 April 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

Heh, what you talked about is pretty much exactly what pretty much everyone here has also thought (also some people weren't as bothered by some things as others), so it's interesting to see an "outsider" has come to the same conclusion.

A big problem with the interactivity in DNF, is that the developers have taken anything that involves "press e to watch a scripted sequence" or "tap space repeatedly to accomplish task" to be interactivity. Whereas in Duke 3D, all the interactivity/destructible objects/areas made total sense. It's about time they realized quick time events do not count as interactivity!!!! Sure, a lot of the stuff in Duke 3D consisted of just pressing e, but it's been over a decade since then, surely they can come up with something better than a white board, 3 arcade games and a poker machine.

Those are the "cute" elements of the interactivity. Where's my ability to blast open toilets and have water come pooling out onto the floor? (Or even drink from it?). The big failing is that DNF insisted on making the interactivity it had as set pieces, instead of the general backdrop of the game. If you think about Duke 3D, you enter a game world where there are just things in the environment that you can casually interact with and change. They're not made focal points. Make a hole in the wall and come at an area from a different angle, use hydrants and fountains to restore health. Plus the humerus Easter eggs like the arcade machine, and such.

Interactivity for Duke, at least to me, is the combination of creating change in the environment. Whether that's by destroying elements of it, or making use of it in interesting ways. Things like shrinking enemies, tossing them into a pit of fire and listening to them screech as they die, or blasting weak support columns and causing a cave in, using cans of paint to blind enemies(or paint the walls). Basically layering elements of interactivity onto one another, and then having interactions between all of it. Just making the entire environment something you can play with in the midst of combating aliens. That would have been the penultimate throwback shooter experience.

AN example: Fighting some pig cops in a street section, picking up a garbage can, throwing it at the Pig, which knocks the pig backward into a wooden fence, sending wood planks everywhere, revealing the alley behind it, wherein you can find a secret stash of weapons and ammo.

Another example: Using a large crane to bash your way through a big door... OR, making use of a rocket launcher to do the same thing... OR, using a jetpack to fly up onto the roof of the warehouse you're in, and climb through a vent which will lead you past the door and bypass some combat.

Choices, man. Choices. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 06 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

• Resident Dufus

@Commando you know, I've actually missed the times when we used to have a big discussion, and then it'd end up being just great big walls of text. That was fun. Good times. I missed you guys. :)

Oh by the way that new guy, Owls-Of-Men, he is gonna be a good member, I think he is the only "outsider" guy here, I think he is the only guy that didn't get caught up in the hype, and that is actually a good thing, as that allows to enjoy something more, but not having great expectations.

This post has been edited by Duel: 06 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

Quoted for truth and double truth and triple truth.

Gah!!!

:P :) :)

:P

User is offline   Rellik 

Wouldn't it be cool if the player could pick up and throw poop?

Wouldn't it be cool if the player could draw cocks on a whiteboard?

Wouldn't it be cool if the player microwave a rat?

The devs were doing the "wouldn't it be cool" stuff for stupid shit.

User is offline   Kathy 

And it was not enough. Just some moments. And they weren't "wouldn't it be cool", they were "you'll get EGO boost because of that".

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

The poop was literally the best part of the game.

I can't even remember the last time I laughed so hard.

View PostRellik, on 07 April 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

Wouldn't it be cool if the player could pick up and throw poop?

Wouldn't it be cool if the player could draw cocks on a whiteboard?

Wouldn't it be cool if the player microwave a rat?

The devs were doing the "wouldn't it be cool" stuff for stupid shit.

At one time those things were like the icing on the cake... not paraded front and center as major moments or the reason the game should be "fun"... and certainly not meant to give achievements to tangibly reward animal death and fecal play. :)

If you are halfway through a game where you can "grab and throw everything" and walk into a nasty bathroom and see some poop still in the bowl and think "Huh... I wonder..." and then go over and grab it and then go "NO WAY!" and then have to get rid of it and it splatters everywhere and you are left with "GROSS!"... then you have a nice practical joke to play on the player.

When put at the start and give an achievement for it... wieder wants to smash.

Same for the rat in the microwave... it should have only ever been something people discover for themselves and only because THEY were the ones who "thought it up" (or found out online afterwards)... not because the game locked the rat right below the microwave and advertise an achievement for it like a sadist saying "DO IT DO IT!".

You have to either think of it yourself, or hear about it and decide to try it for yourself. When you force someone to do it to max out their achievements... it's an entirely different beast.

Missed... the... entire... point.

So you are right in a way... but it's down to presentation and everything else going on around it. Without the original intended context... it loses everything and I become embarrassed for having implemented those features. :P

Aside from the white board (which is awesome... and should have been used for a puzzle but... I... digress)... the time to implement those things was negligible. The interactivity systems were very very flexible.

This post has been edited by Wieder: 07 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I wonder what happened to Duke's ability to email you within the game? That's one interactive thing they should've left in.

User is offline   Rellik 

Wieder, I think you hit on what bugged me about those things, they were used as major selling points instead of easter eggs left to the player to discover.

The rat and poop come across as just juvenile fratboy behavior which to some, isn't what Duke represents.

View PostWieder, on 07 April 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

If you are halfway through a game where you can "grab and throw everything" and walk into a nasty bathroom and see some poop still in the bowl and think "Huh... I wonder..." and then go over and grab it and then go "NO WAY!" and then have to get rid of it and it splatters everywhere and you are left with "GROSS!"... then you have a nice practical joke to play on the player.

When put at the start and give an achievement for it... wieder wants to smash.

Same for the rat in the microwave...

Funny, I was just watching this Let's Play uploaded on June 9, 2011, and the guy, when he microwaves the rat, is making the very comments you said here that you were after, "No way!" "You're fucking with me, right?" "OMG, that's disturbing!"

• Judge Mental

View PostDevil Master, on 09 April 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

Funny, I was just watching this Let's Play uploaded on June 9, 2011, and the guy, when he microwaves the rat, is making the very comments you said here that you were after, "No way!" "You're fucking with me, right?" "OMG, that's disturbing!"

Yeah, that's probably because that guy is a moron "Special Person"

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 09 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostDevil Master, on 09 April 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

How come he didn't get the usual ego boost from that? It means he already did and that his reaction was scripted--like the game.

This post has been edited by uh . . . .: 09 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

View Postuh . . . ., on 09 April 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

How come he didn't get the usual ego boost from that? It means he already did and that his reaction was scripted--like the game.

Or he had already downloaded a pre-made progress file that already gave him all ego boosts and access to all levels. That's what I did before I played the PC version for the first time.
Yeah, I'm a dirty cheater and I like it :)

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 07 April 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

I wonder what happened to Duke's ability to email you within the game? That's one interactive thing they should've left in.

AFAIK, it was axed because a betatester discovered that he could bind the actions of composing and sending an email to a key, so he proceeded to bind them to every key on the keyboard and then started a looong session of DNF, sending thousands of emails in the process. And guess who was the email recipient? 3DRealms.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Devil Master: 10 April 2013 - 03:33 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostOwls-Of-Men, on 04 April 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

The Ripper, or as it was known, the Machine Gun Cannon

It has always been called like that in the help screen or game manuals.

View PostDevil Master, on 10 April 2013 - 02:26 AM, said:

AFAIK, it was axed because a betatester discovered that he could bind the actions of composing and sending an email to a key, so he proceeded to bind them to every key on the keyboard and then started a looong session of DNF, sending thousands of emails in the process. And guess who was the email recipient? 3DRealms.

What makes you believe that?

That would be a trivial thing to fix.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I bet it never even worked. Didn't Jace Hall say he got his email a week after testing DNF? Probably because some 3DRealms employee sent it a bit after.

• Resident Dufus

View PostDevil Master, on 10 April 2013 - 02:26 AM, said:

When/Where was that confirmed? that was one of my biggest disappointments about DNF. Honestly I thought that was really impressive when I first read that.

Wieder said:

That would be a trivial thing to fix.

Yeah it would.

View PostDuel, on 10 April 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

When/Where was that confirmed? that was one of my biggest disappointments about DNF. Honestly I thought that was really impressive when I first read that.

I think I read it in the Gearbox forum, but I spent the last hour browsing old messages and I couldn't find it. :)

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

It was from a Prey preview for Computer Games magazine by Tom Chick (QT3 fame). He got to see a private DNF demo while he was visiting 3DR. http://forums.3dreal...ead.php?t=16576

Here's some of the posts the author made on the 3DR boards. He seemed quite taken with game unlike the shipping product. Keep in mind this is from early 2006:

"Third, the point of the email thing at the end was that it was how a lot of us feel about DNF in a microcosm: we're impatient and demanding and quick to dismiss it, but in the end, it's most likely going to come through. BTW, it's worth noting that there's no guarantee the email thing will be in the final game. I was just an example of one of the many experimental things I was shown and I was using it to make a point.

Finally, I'd be happy to answer questions, but a lot of what I saw -- and I saw quite a bit -- was shown to me in confidence. The whole point of the sidebar was to be an aside that Duke is indeed in progress. I was mainly there to do the cover story on Prey, but George was kind enough to take about an hour to show me how DNF is coming along.

Kaiser, it's not so much that I was told what I can and can't write, but that the demo was given in confidence. There was a lot of stuff I would have loved to talk about, and it was really gratifying to see the same creative energy that drove Duke 3D is still very much in effect. But none of it was final and 3DR understandably doesn't want to commit to specific features, screenshots, and so forth. Instead, they agreed that we could run a sidebar (i.e. a short article accompanying the Prey cover story) pointing out the the game is indeed in development.

As for the engine, I don't think anyone at 3DR would mind me saying that they're doing some impressive stuff. But to respond in a more general way, yes, much of the stuff you're talking about is up and running. Sorry to be a tease, but I think you guys will be pretty excited when 3DR is ready to talk more specifically about those things.

I'm really excited for 3DR to get another game out, but after seeing what they're doing, I'm even more excited. It's partly that they were showing some impressive stuff, but I think it's mainly how true they're being to the Duke Nukem I remember. It was really encouraging to see how clearly they're still able to express the stuff that made Duke great. Because in the end, being next-gen doesn't mean beans to me if you're not able to do anything memorable with it.

I don't anticipate this is going to be a shortcoming of DNF."

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 2.jpg

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 10 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostDevil Master, on 10 April 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

I think I read it in the Gearbox forum, but I spent the last hour browsing old messages and I couldn't find it. :)

I don't know why the email stuff was ultimately cut... since it happened long after I was gone. I would guess it would be due to not working on consoles at all and thus would only be supported on PC, and not all PCs, and required doing things over the network not all players are comfortable with, all for limited payoff.

The game didn't even have beta testers until it was being finished by Gearbox and I don't think usage of the feature survived that long. Then again you did admit you're a dirty cheater so we shouldn't be surprised that you might cheat and "conflate" stories to try to make a point. :) :P

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 10 April 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

It was from a Prey preview for Computer Games magazine by Tom Chick (QT3 fame). He got to see a private DNF demo while he was visiting 3DR. http://forums.3dreal...ead.php?t=16576

Random note... it was actually my fingers that wrote that email that he eventually found in his spam filter. I was doing the keyboard stuff while George did the talking. But in the interest of not confusing the readers it makes more sense to just say George wrote it, cause most would have no clue who I was.

Our problem was we would get something working and talk about it too quickly. We didn't have to make up stuff to talk about because there was always more that could have been said that still wasn't. Of course that bit everyone in the butt when things changed over time.

This post has been edited by Wieder: 10 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options