Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 Multiplayer Madness - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 Multiplayer Madness

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

Radar and I decided to test out EDuke32 and its current state with multiplayer. The funny thing is, when I was hosting it was almost magical, a tiny bit jittery, but it worked like a charm in DM with a bit more problems in coop. BUT, when Radar hosted it was absolute madness. While I didn't record the game when it was running good under me, I was recording it while it was playing extremely weird. (Go figure huh?)

Here's the video:

And here's some screenshots that Radar took:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In case you're wondering about my setup in the video, I was running Wesker's Duke3D: Forever modified to use the def language instead of definesound, and eradicate the User.con file so it wouldn't conflict and I added some sounds to it, as well as modified it to use the HRP Duke model. Since my system sucks at running Polymer it looks best this way too me.

Anyway, I figured I would post this because it was really fun to mess around and it was very interesting how Radar could connect without error to me, but not the other way around. We even had a game of three at one point that worked pretty damn well. The other guy reported that there was no lag, but a few glitches.

What I really wanted to do is to show how close we are to EDuke32 multiplayer. Even though what you see is still very buggy, it's far superior to what we've had in the past in the server\client area.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

What this really shows is how superior the EDuke32 netcode will be once it's done. Even the tiniest sync goof-up in XDuke/HDuke is entirely self-destructive to the game. Not to EDuke32 though. The sync-independent system continues to try its best to get things back together even when the games aren't showing the same thing on screen. While this might have been an unfortunate occurrence, nothing we encountered in Holly made it absolutely unplayable, like what would happen with any other source port...

This post has been edited by Radar: 09 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

• tile 1018

View PostRadar, on 09 March 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:

What this really shows is how superior the EDuke32 netcode will be once it's done. Even the tiniest sync goof-up in XDuke/HDuke is entirely self-destructive to the game. Not to EDuke32 though. The sync-independent system continues to try it's best to get things back together even when the games aren't showing the same thing on screen. While this might be an unfortunate occurrence, nothing we encountered in Holly made it absolutely unplayable, like what would happen with any source port..

Yeah. I should host again today and record it when the game is actually running good.

I think it tends to work best if all the people are connected before we start doing stuff that changes the level, like explosives that put holes in the wall.

This post has been edited by Spirrwell: 09 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

There's an improved version of Wesker500's mod if he ever decides to release it. :angry:

• tile 1018

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 09 March 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

There's an improved version of Wesker500's mod if he ever decides to release it. :angry:

I know I saw it with the new expander and everything. I would REALLY love it if he instead used the actual Duke model from DNF as opposed to many sprites. It's essentially why I modified it with the current high resolution Duke model.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostSpirrwell, on 09 March 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

I know I saw it with the new expander and everything. I would REALLY love it if he instead used the actual Duke model from DNF as opposed to many sprites. It's essentially why I modified it with the current high resolution Duke model.

Talk with him about it. He might be interested in what you did. Yeah, I did alot to the latest version. I got most of the sprites sized correctly, but it took me forever. The menu font is fixed, too, but it's a little smaller.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostSpirrwell, on 09 March 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

Yeah. I should host again today and record it when the game is actually running good.

I think it tends to work best if all the people are connected before we start doing stuff that changes the level, like explosives that put holes in the wall.

This is absolutely true... the current code has no mechanism for synchronizing changes to walls and sectors at all. This is indeed really close to working however.

• tile 1018

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 09 March 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

Talk with him about it. He might be interested in what you did. Yeah, I did alot to the latest version. I got most of the sprites sized correctly, but it took me forever. The menu font is fixed, too, but it's a little smaller.

I doubt he would. All that I did was minor, using the def language as opposed to a modified CON, and using a Duke model instead of the sprites. Although it was convenient being able to hear the sounds in Mapster when the CON code was using definesound. Everything else looks so good that I don't care if they're models. Just having the option to three different Duke models would be cool depending on one's preference.

View PostTerminX, on 09 March 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

This is absolutely true... the current code has no mechanism for synchronizing changes to walls and sectors at all. This is indeed really close to working however.

Heh, I made a lucky guess. Another slight problem that isn't necessarily multiplayer related is that your holoduke's pants could be a different color from your pants if you have it set to auto. Like when the second player joins they would typically have red pants, but the holoduke will remain blue unless you manually set your pants color. Just figured I'd point that out just in case it gets overlooked by people when multiplayer is ready.

User is offline   Juras 

Wow from Spirrwell video im really suprised how... GOOD it's running when you are joining the server, mothns ago it was REAL MADNESS !!!

• tile 1018

View PostJuras, on 11 March 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

Wow from Spirrwell video im really suprised how... GOOD it's running when you are joining the server, mothns ago it was REAL MADNESS !!!

You should try it with me when I'm hosting. Just for whatever reason when Radar hosted, it was a complete mess.

User is offline   Juras 

so who was hosting on the video you posted above?

User is offline   Steveeeie 

I so want to play some death match right now

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Next time we try this, I'm hosting again. I want to see some more chaotic fun.

I was hosting in that video

This post has been edited by Radar: 11 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Doing 'The Abyss' in co-op. Nothing like it on the planet.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I wonder if Spirrwell having all them weird ass looking mods installed cause the game to go so weird.

When I tested this the other week (I spoke of this in another thread) with both CLEAN (no HRP etc) copies of EDuke32 we didn't have half the weird bugs seen in this video. (And I was playing someone on the other side of the world with a ping, est. 250)

This post has been edited by Cody: 12 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

At least this isn't half as weird as it used to be.

This post has been edited by Radar: 12 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

• tile 1018

View PostCody, on 12 March 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

I wonder if Spirrwell having all them weird ass looking mods installed cause the game to go so weird.

When I tested this the other week (I spoke of this in another thread) with both CLEAN (no HRP etc) copies of EDuke32 we didn't have half the weird bugs seen in this video. (And I was playing someone on the other side of the world with a ping, est. 250)

...No, it shouldn't have ANY impact on the game whatsoever. There were no CON conflicts, and it worked just fine when I hosted. I can only assume what happened with Radar is that he hosted and he started going about the level before I got there. Whereas I would wait for him to join. Although he was connecting from in-game and I connected through the command prompt, I don't know if that would make any difference.

Radar, PM me if you want to try it out again, because I really want to. I'll bring the recording tools...

This post has been edited by Spirrwell: 12 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

All we need now is some more progress on the netcode.

User is offline   Harlock 

View PostStrikerMan780, on 05 April 2013 - 03:22 AM, said:

All we need now is some more progress on the netcode.

Totally agree. Eagerly waiting for news on the subject.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Am I the only one who read the thread title in a Monster Struck exhibitionist voice?

EDUKE 32 MULTIPLAYER MUH-MUH-MUH-MADNESS!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options