More info: http://mashable.com/...3/java-exploit/

User is offline   Kathy 

Seems like an overblown issue.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostBurnett, on 15 January 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

An issue, none the less.

User is offline   Lunick 

I dunno if it's new or not but Firefox has been auto disabling any Java extensions lately for me :P

User is offline   Hank 

View PostBurnett, on 15 January 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Yes it is! Especially this article, asking if you will un-install Java. Why not ask, will you stop surfing.

As soon as Home Land Security says something it's news. i wonder if they actually know the real risks.

http://www.bitdefender.com/
has not let me down, yet Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 16 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

Hey, guys, there are viruses on the internet! So, to make sure you're OK, don't use the internet anymore.

In all fairness, it's always good to know about potential problems, but as long as you don't deviate from normal habbits, i.e;

It works by getting Java users to visit a website with malicious code that takes advantage of a security gap to take control of users' computers.

You should be fine.

Common sense says "Hmm, I've never heard of this website before, why are they so determined that I check it out? Pah, no thanks." just like it does with junk e-mails and such. I don't go to third party websites, if I want something, I go direct and get what I want, for example, to update Java, I'd go to Oracle. To update Windows, I'd go to Microsoft, not rely on some random link that doesn't seem to know anything about me or my setup as I am assuming that's how they would get you to visit a site running the exploit.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 16 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostHigh Treason, on 16 January 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

Hey, guys, there are viruses on the internet! So, to make sure you're OK, don't use the internet anymore.

In all fairness, it's always good to know about potential problems, but as long as you don't deviate from normal habbits, i.e;

You should be fine.

Common sense says "Hmm, I've never heard of this website before, why are they so determined that I check it out? Pah, no thanks." just like it does with junk e-mails and such. I don't go to third party websites, if I want something, I go direct and get what I want, for example, to update Java, I'd go to Oracle. To update Windows, I'd go to Microsoft, not rely on some random link that doesn't seem to know anything about me or my setup as I am assuming that's how they would get you to visit a site running the exploit.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and point something out.

It's been quite awhile now, but some time ago the MSDN was hit with some shady bullshit, and I sent a message to bring it to the attention of Mikko. It was swiftly dealt with, but basically Google was telling me that going to the site was bogus. Thankful for that, because if I had proceeded I would have gotten hit with Malware. Now, imagine a website you DO trust gets hit, and because you trust it you ignore such a message as a false positive, and get hit by this Java exploit? It's very possible. So knowing is better than not knowing.

Well, should anything suspicious happen one should certainly leave it well alone - that's the common sense I was talking about. Knowing is indeed better than not knowing, this is also what I was trying to say.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 16 January 2013 - 01:07 AM, said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and point something out.

It's been quite awhile now, but some time ago the MSDN was hit with some shady bullshit, and I sent a message to bring it to the attention of Mikko. It was swiftly dealt with, but basically Google was telling me that going to the site was bogus. Thankful for that, because if I had proceeded I would have gotten hit with Malware. Now, imagine a website you DO trust gets hit, and because you trust it you ignore such a message as a false positive, and get hit by this Java exploit? It's very possible. So knowing is better than not knowing.

Speaking of Google, it uses Java, the language. The moment one enters the internet is the moment one is at risk, but not just from self signed Java applets.

Speaking of knowing - here is the other side of this story, the hackers themselves made some errors Posted Image
http://arstechnica.c...-to-infect-pcs/

MSDN, I felt very sorry for Mikko, but hacking is part of life. Any web site is a target and I 'trust' no site, because you never know who may have tinkered with it. It looks to me you where protected by your smart surfing habits, now that is what it is all about! We have numerous safe guards available, most do not use it, because of inconvenience.

This post has been edited by Hank: 16 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Wow, you can get a malware because of Java? Whoop dee fucking doo!

Common sense is not surfing under root.

And I always liked images like this. Maggots are going after my PC!
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Burnett: 16 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

They look like radioactive wotsits;
Posted Image

(These are sh*te! I miss Cheeto's, those were loads better.)

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostHigh Treason, on 16 January 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

They look like radioactive wotsits;
Posted Image

(These are sh*te! I miss Cheeto's, those were loads better.)

Where'd they go?

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostHank, on 16 January 2013 - 05:13 AM, said:

Speaking of Google, it uses Java, the language. The moment one enters the internet is the moment one is at risk, but not just from self signed Java applets.

Speaking of knowing - here is the other side of this story, the hackers themselves made some errors Posted Image
http://arstechnica.c...-to-infect-pcs/

MSDN, I felt very sorry for Mikko, but hacking is part of life. Any web site is a target and I 'trust' no site, because you never know who may have tinkered with it. It looks to me you where protected by your smart surfing habits, now that is what it is all about! We have numerous safe guards available, most do not use it, because of inconvenience.

What I wonder is what these hackers have to gain by putting their time and energy into negativity, rather than focusing on doing some good?
It's just beyond me...... :P

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

My personal practice regarding Java is to keep the plugin disabled until I specifically need it for something, and then disable it again afterwards. I clearly don't run my browsers with administrative/root privileges, but I don't want one of potentially hundreds of undiscovered or unpatched exploits providing access to my personal data, either.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Thanks for the heads up. I've never had any encounters with this, but I'm not going to be an asshole over the fact you were just letting us know.. unlike some people.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 16 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostVinsaneOne, on 16 January 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

What I wonder is what these hackers have to gain by putting their time and energy into negativity, rather than focusing on doing some good?

[sardonic]This is positive. Hackers show corporations like Oracle to get their fucking act together. Why does one need to make an applet that gets downloaded right into someone's hard drive, without a standard caution or safe guard? No other equivalent executive file (xyz.exe) gets that privilege. Why is the default setting for IE 9, with Java 7 loaded, Java applets enabled? And so on. Hackers help the average Joe to wise up. You woke up and so did a shit load of others. All bow to the mighty hackers.[/sardonic]

I assumed everyone is aware of this. It'd been cautioned and warned about for years. Perhaps it is a good thing that Home Land voiced their concerns. Posted Image

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostVinsaneOne, on 16 January 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

Having botnet at your hand is a positive thing.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options