Duke4.net Forums: Rename DUKETEAM.ANM to RADLOGO.ANM? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rename DUKETEAM.ANM to RADLOGO.ANM?

I have started looking at DUKE3D after an absence of a couple of years and a lot has changed. However, I keep hearing about renaming DUKETEAM.ANM to RADLOGO.ANM, particularly in the context of getting Caribbean Vacation to work properly.

Please, can anybody explain why this would be necessary? Presumably RADLOGO is the exploding nuke symbol at the game load, but google has failed to turn up a simple explanation of what is DUKETEAM.ANM and why should it replace the other one. (Please note if this sounds a n00bish question then it is. I have never developed anything for DN3D and am far less familiar with Duke's resource architecture than I am with Doom's :P ).

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMartin Howe, on 14 January 2013 - 04:30 AM, said:

I have started looking at DUKE3D after an absence of a couple of years and a lot has changed. However, I keep hearing about renaming DUKETEAM.ANM to RADLOGO.ANM, particularly in the context of getting Caribbean Vacation to work properly.

Please, can anybody explain why this would be necessary? Presumably RADLOGO is the exploding nuke symbol at the game load, but google has failed to turn up a simple explanation of what is DUKETEAM.ANM and why should it replace the other one. (Please note if this sounds a n00bish question then it is. I have never developed anything for DN3D and am far less familiar with Duke's resource architecture than I am with Doom's :P ).

I've never heard about this, I don't think it's anything you should bother with. If you want to play Duke Caribbean then all you have to do is install this pack: http://hendricks266....t/vaca_plus.php
It's technically a HRP, but more! (hence the plus). It contains tonnes of bug fixes, including those for the classic-8bit version. Even if you're never ever going to use the HRP in that pack, you'll need the other stuff.

View PostMicky C, on 14 January 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

It contains tonnes of bug fixes, including those for the classic-8bit version. Even if you're never ever going to use the HRP in that pack, you'll need the other stuff.

Thanks for that. Actually you've answered another question I had, namely whether the map patches were viable for playing with a basic non-HRP setup. However, I am doing all this for more technical reasons than simply playing the game and in fact, Hendrix266's scripts do indeed rename DUKETEAM.ANM to RADLOGO.ANM. Before doing anything myself with my own scripts and programs that I am currently writing, I'd obviously want to know why he does this. Or for example, why rename instead of copy, if for example, compatibility with vanilla Duke3D/CARIB.EXE and DOSBox is an issue.

EDIT:

Well this is odd. After digging out DOSBox and googling for something that can play ANM files, it seems the DUKETEAM animation is just pics of the duke 3D team. The corresponding item in CV is a thanks for playing and credits item, like an ENDOOM or LOADING in Doom or Heretic. But why override the duke one? Presumably (more files to dig out!!) vanilla CV doesn't do that, so why should the CV HRP and Plus do it? It's not as if the player doesn't know what he's playing :P I am confused...

This post has been edited by Martin Howe: 14 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Simple. DUKETEAM.ANM in v1.3D played during the Episode 3 ending sequence after CINEOV3.ANM and RADLOGO.ANM. For the Atomic Edition, 3DR moved it to the episode 4 ending sequence after the fuckton of different ANM files that each have different palettes. However, even in VACAPP.SSI and VACA15.SSI, the Caribbean credits ANM remained as DUKETEAM.ANM which would never be seen when playing the episode, which is defined as episode 3. Hence, it gets renamed to RADLOGO.ANM so you can see it. It does not get copied because under v1.5 mode, EDuke32 would not touch DUKETEAM.ANM under episode 3, and under v1.3D mode, EDuke32 would play DUKETEAM.ANM after RADLOGO.ANM and we don't want a duplicate.

It is hardly a crucial change but it is a valid one.

View PostHendricks266, on 14 January 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

Simple. DUKETEAM.ANM in v1.3D played during the Episode 3 ending sequence after CINEOV3.ANM and RADLOGO.ANM. For the Atomic Edition, 3DR moved it to the episode 4 ending sequence after the fuckton of different ANM files that each have different palettes. However, even in VACAPP.SSI and VACA15.SSI, the Caribbean credits ANM remained as DUKETEAM.ANM which would never be seen when playing the episode, which is defined as episode 3. Hence, it gets renamed to RADLOGO.ANM so you can see it. It does not get copied because under v1.5 mode, EDuke32 would not touch DUKETEAM.ANM under episode 3, and under v1.3D mode, EDuke32 would play DUKETEAM.ANM after RADLOGO.ANM and we don't want a duplicate.

It is hardly a crucial change but it is a valid one.

Thanks very much, that explains it nicely.

(This sort of thing, due to episodes and such, is what we are used to in DOOM, which until EDGE or ZDoom was much less moddable than Duke3D; I guess I just assumed that EDuke32 had extended the CON language enough to get around this sort of thing, though no doubt that may happen one day, since EDuke32 seems to be aquiring everything but the kitchen sink :P )

I should also thank you for your efforts in maintaining these packs Posted Image

This post has been edited by Martin Howe: 14 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options