Duke4.net Forums: request for testers - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

request for testers

User is offline   wesley025 

Hey, everyone

I am planning on releasing my very first map pack containing 11 spooky themed maps for Duke Nukem.

The two maps are both called Floating_Islands_I and Floating_Islands_II.Very dark level with traps and other suprises

I would like to ask you to test the first 2 maps of the map pack and tell me if you like it.
That way i know if i should continue or (stop wasting time)

The maps will contain new ART-files which is why i will recomment you not to play the maps in HR

If you are interested,pm me and i'll send you a link with the two maps and a read-me.

I have added some screens for those who may be curious.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by wesley025: 15 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

TBH those shots look fairly empty. 11 maps is an extremely big undertaking. Even the most experienced mappers would struggle with such a task (maintaining motivation, with consistent theme and quality in one project). However don't give up! Perhaps all that needs to be done is focus the time you'll spend on 11 maps into one or two (maybe bigger, but somewhat more detailed) maps. They don't need to have a lot of detail, but where detail is lacking, other things like shading and contrast can make a bland area look much more pleasant to the eye.

If this really is your first project, perhaps try making a smallish vanilla map first and taking that through a beta testing period so that some of the guys who have released several maps can give you some tips and pointers on how to improve your technique/design.

View PostMicky C, on 14 December 2012 - 04:58 AM, said:

TBH those shots look fairly empty. 11 maps is an extremely big undertaking. Even the most experienced mappers would struggle with such a task (maintaining motivation, with consistent theme and quality in one project). However don't give up! Perhaps all that needs to be done is focus the time you'll spend on 11 maps into one or two (maybe bigger, but somewhat more detailed) maps. They don't need to have a lot of detail, but where detail is lacking, other things like shading and contrast can make a bland area look much more pleasant to the eye.

If this really is your first project, perhaps try making a smallish vanilla map first and taking that through a beta testing period so that some of the guys who have released several maps can give you some tips and pointers on how to improve your technique/design.

That is kinda the illusion of the map.As i was saying it is not to resemble a big map but more of smaller islands with some bigger ones.
It may look like a small map but the first should keep you playing for 20 to 30 minutes and the second would be 15-25 minutes.But as i was saying,
i think it is best if people would first test it before judging but that is my point of view. I am hoping to create maps with ideas that most people wouldn't think about.

Perhaps you should try it and tell me if you liked it.

This post has been edited by wesley025: 14 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

View PostMicky C, on 14 December 2012 - 04:58 AM, said:

Also i am working on the 3th map at the moment which is way bigger since it isn't on the floating islands anymore.
The third map is a graveyard themed map which provides the player with way more space and a new theme.I believe it is way more interesting to work on a map pack than to just talk about it.

This post has been edited by wesley025: 14 December 2012 - 05:25 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yes, I'll admit you're trying not to give away too much in the screenshots, and of course you can't show gameplay in photos. Ok, send it my way and I'll try my best to look at it in the next 24 hours or so.

View PostMicky C, on 14 December 2012 - 05:26 AM, said:

Yes, I'll admit you're trying not to give away too much in the screenshots, and of course you can't show gameplay in photos. Ok, send it my way and I'll try my best to look at it in the next 24 hours or so.

Alright,ill do that in a few hours.I'm kinda busy at the moment and i have to do my mail delivery so i'll be back in a few hours.

As soon as i'm done,i will send you the link so you can take your time and look into the maps.

Thanks

User is offline   Arwu 

maybe I can help too :) ? Im working on one big map and rather working on quality than amount. If You need someone else then just send me a message :)

View PostArwu, on 14 December 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

maybe I can help too :) ? Im working on one big map and rather working on quality than amount. If You need someone else then just send me a message :)

Sure, i'll send it to you right now.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

My comments after a quick glance at your two maps:
The overall concept isn't bad. The structures are oversized compared to the player character's size. Detail is missing. I think that most of all you need to improve your mapping/texturing skills/experience. Even if it's a spooky themed episode the places still should look like they could be 'real' in a certain context. I recommend to boil down your stuff to a single map. It's a better experience to play one 'big' map instead of a bunch of small ones IMO. It will take quite some time but I think you're heading into the right direction. Good luck.

View PostLeoD, on 15 December 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

My comments after a quick glance at your two maps:
The overall concept isn't bad. The structures are oversized compared to the player character's size. Detail is missing. I think that most of all you need to improve your mapping/texturing skills/experience. Even if it's a spooky themed episode the places still should look like they could be 'real' in a certain context. I recommend to boil down your stuff to a single map. It's a better experience to play one 'big' map instead of a bunch of small ones IMO. It will take quite some time but I think you're heading into the right direction. Good luck.

Yeah, i think kinda between one map and multiple maps.I made a huge map which is nice to play and will keep you happy for over 1 hour.
However it had 12 errors and after a bunch of people tried to fix it,it became 60 errors.However it is still fully playeble but some things like a nice stair and those kind f details are laking.If you want to see it,pm me.

User is offline   Arwu 

I have looked at these maps moment ago, sooo dark, good feeling, these maps are not even finished by now , yes ?. Im only released one map earlier but more detailed :). I think that floating islands should be more floating :( some tror should work here greatly :) want help with this, Wesley ??

User is offline   faked 

It worked okay for me.Good luck on your mod!Looking forward to playing it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options