Duke4.net Forums: Gamepad -Vs- Keyb & Mouse - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gamepad -Vs- Keyb & Mouse  "For FPS games!"

Poll: Gamepad -Vs- Keyb & Mouse (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you prefer a gamepad, or keyboard & mouse?

1. Gamepad (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. Keyboard & Mouse (16 votes [88.89%])

Percentage of vote: 88.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Martin 

Share your thoughts on this! I can imagine as a PC-centric website, the results will be overwhelmingly in favour of keyboard and mouse. I'll say this only concerns FPS games, as I reckon aside from RTS and point-and-click genres, one would almost have to prefer a gamepad for pretty much any other type of game.

For me, it's a toughie. Personally, I find that aiming is without doubt better on the mouse. However, other than having way more buttons to play with, I find that the keyboard side of things is comprehensively smashed by the gamepad. The thing is designed ergonomically, and I find playing K&M for a while tends to cramp my hand up. I suppose I could go out and blow loads of wonga on a 'Razor Blade' (or whatever they call themselves) K&M setup, but I've got better things to spend money on. Additionally, there's just no match for that fine analogue control you get with a gamepad.

In short, ergonomics aside, I'm saying this; you have finer control over your movements on a gamepad, whilst you have finer control over your aim with a mouse. Really, it's the keyboards that lets K&M down for me. I even notice it in Doom on PS3. Even the classic ones have full analogue control. You can creep forward one pixel at a time. I know PC shooters tend to have a toggle button to make WASD go between one speed and another, but two or even three speeds can't match the amount of fine variance an analogue stick gives you in that regard, nor the ease at which you can moderate your speed.

I guess it depends on what kind of FPS game you're playing. If it's fast-paced and nuts, you don't need that ability to move about at any pace you like. Two (or even one) speed is fine. If it's a more considered game, where atmosphere is king, it's arguably more important. For me, some combination of the left hand of a gamepad and the right hand on a mouse would be amazing.

Let's talk about this like gentlemen, gentlemen. :P

User is offline   Kathy 

Flame war commence in 1...2...3.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

The only advantage a gamepad has is that you can sit on a couch while playing. Otherwise it's inferior in every respect.

User is offline   MetHy 

Wiimote + nunchuk

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 21 November 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

The only advantage a gamepad has is that you can sit on a couch while playing. Otherwise it's inferior in every respect.

This is not always true, if you are gaming on a laptop you can sit on the couch too.

View PostMetHy, on 21 November 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

Wiimote + nunchuk

nunchako?

This post has been edited by rasmus thorup: 21 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

User is online   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Eh.. what about just keyboard alone :P

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Yomama + Yodada.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

What about arcade joystick and buttons?

User is offline   t800 

You reminded me something.
Few months ago after long decision I decided to buy gamepad for my notebook. I thought that beat em ups, platforming and fighting games will be more enjoyable with it.
I thought wrong. At first I thought it was natural that I wasnt comfortable with it. I told myself "I am used too much to keyboard and mouse combo, it will just take some time and sooner or later I will get accustomised to it." Sadly, I didnt. Even after months of trying, I still dont get handle of it. My gameplay is still more comfortable, easier and effective with keyboard and mouse.
For example I tried Marvel Ultimate Alliance (3D beat em up game) with gamepad. You would think - that game is made for gamepad, right? Well, I fail horrible with gamepad and breeze easily with keyboard. Crazy, right? :P
Maybe I have problem with layout of buttons and wierd ways in which analog sticks react (compared to mouse). When I play with gamepad I have to often check where buttons are located, but when I play with keyboard I just have to check controls menu once and after that I can instictively use every button in right time. On the other hand analog sticks often overreact in their responses and I find myself constantly trying to not look up in the sky or down at floor. :P (And no, it is not question of wrong set sensitivy - I recalibrated gamepad few times and tried various sensitivity settings in games and problems still remain.)

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View Postrasmus thorup, on 21 November 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:

This is not always true, if you are gaming on a laptop you can sit on the couch too.

Real gamers don't play on a laptop.

User is offline   Jeff 

I prefer a keyboard and mouse. I tried using a PS3 controller to play some demos with it (eg. Mass Effect 2), and I found it too awkward.

User is offline   Arwu 

Im playing on some emulators (psx, n64, snes, gba)... pad is essential for this. For Duke I use combo: pad-mouse-keyboard :P Im born with pad :P

User is offline   Hank 

As Arwu wrote, if you have PS3, Xbox, you have a pad. If you have a PC you use the Keyboard/Mouse. Which will end up eventually (prolly over the weekend) as Burnett wrote to a classical flame war. (PC vs. Console).

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Keyboard & mouse. Gamepads are killing good FPS gaming.

This post has been edited by Achenar: 23 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostAchenar, on 23 November 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

Keyboard & mouse. Gamepads are killing good FPS gaming.

People voted with their wallet against your statement
http://www.reuters.c...E8AB19120121112
Halo was designed for the XBox - I like the game.
My only problem at first was that I 'grew' up with Mouse and Keyboard via Doom II and Quake series, and thought Nintendo etc. sucks. Once I've got better games, I've got more tolerant to the game pad.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostHank, on 23 November 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

People voted with their wallet against your statement
http://www.reuters.c...E8AB19120121112
Halo was designed for the XBox - I like the game.

Read the part where I said "good FPS gaming".

User is offline   Hank 

View PostAchenar, on 23 November 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

Read the part where I said "good FPS gaming".

Posted Image , have you read my first sentence? Millions of others do not share your definition of good Posted Image
I would love to a have a piece of the profits of those games that may not be good, as in accepted by the hard core gamers, but sell. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 23 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostBurnett, on 21 November 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

Flame war commence in 1...2...3.

Should of counted that down to 3...2...1... Burnett.

As for the Gamepad or the Keyboard & Mouse. That depends on how well it performs on the games I play.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 07 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

I use both, you have more options with keyboard and mouse if the game is designed for it but the controller is always more comfortable, but good games can be designed for controller too any Halo for example. I know it's fashionable to not like really successful console developed games but that won't stop them being good. Halo plays like a dream with a controller as it is very well designed. Platform games and driving games I prefer to play with a controller but a game like Day Z could not be played without a keyboard and mouse or any strategy game, if something is well designed to work with the input device I don't see any problem. Though it can be annoying when playing something like Skyrim on pc that is better suited to keyboard and mouse but instead is optimized for controller.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 07 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

User is offline   Sebastian 

For games such as Assassin's Creed, Dark Souls and Batman I use gamepad. For pretty much any other game I use a keyboard and mouse. Even for RPG games like Kingdoms of Amalur where you would assume a gamepad would be the go-to choice I prefer the keyboard + mouse since I can rotate the camera around faster and initiate attacks and powers at a much faster pace. Same goes for the Mass Effect games.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostHank, on 23 November 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

Millions of others do not share your definition of good

Ever checked the average education, IQ and taste of the simple masses? OF course they have a different definition of "good", they aren't able to know better. :) :) :(

And if we assume that FPS game shall come close to how one would aim and shoot in real life (talking about the mechanics, not the space monster you encounter) you will realize the following:

- In real life you can move your arm independantly from your eyes and head, which means you can aim somewhere else than you look and turn your arm 90 degrees and more without turning your whole body. And a mouse with it's fast and precise aiming can achieve something close to that much better than a gamepad.
- In real life you don't have to move at all to look to the left and right by just moving your head or even only the eyes. A mouse ist much better for that with the quick and precise aiming and doing 180s, etc....

The only way to compensate the clumsy movement of gamepads to reduce the speed of the games (UT3 for example is 20% slower on consoles than on PC, because of that). And that's why the masses like it. It is simplified, slow and easy ... but far from good movement and more reminds of steering a tank than a person.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 08 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View Postfuegerstef, on 08 December 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

Ever checked the average education, IQ and taste of the simple masses? OF course they have a different definition of "good", they aren't able to know better. :) :) :(

I am a tiny part of the masses. I have no formal education, believe it or not. Posted Image

View Postfuegerstef, on 08 December 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

And if we assume that FPS game shall come close to how one would aim and shoot in real life (talking about the mechanics, not the space monster you encounter) you will realize the following:

- In real life you can move your arm independantly from your eyes and head, which means you can aim somewhere else than you look and turn your arm 90 degrees and more without turning your whole body. And a mouse with it's fast and precise aiming can achieve something close to that much better than a gamepad.
- In real life you don't have to move at all to look to the left and right by just moving your head or even only the eyes. A mouse ist much better for that with the quick and precise aiming and doing 180s, etc....

The only way to compensate the clumsy movement of gamepads to reduce the speed of the games (UT3 for example is 20% slower on consoles than on PC, because of that). And that's why the masses like it. It is simplified, slow and easy ... but far from good movement and more reminds of steering a tank than a person.

No arguments to the above, all is true.

Half Life is a FPS, is it not? It's not a bad game to play on a XBox. Halo 4, also another game I like to play on XBox. We have a shit load of lame FPS games because of inept developers not because of the limitation of the hard ware, methinks.Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options