Duke4.net Forums: Broken or incompatible map? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Broken or incompatible map?

User is offline   nukemania 

I gave this map a go earlier, which was on my PC for a while, and can't find whose map it is. The map is attached. There's a blue key in a closed restaurant (blocked off by steel gate) in the shopping mall near the main entrance. You're supposed to get to it from the inside, where there's a crack on a wall. But this crack doesn't cause the wall to break. I included a screenshot to show the part. There's a crack behind the fire hydrant, on the wall. But nothing happens.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Hank 

the map shows William Gee - so it is probably from him - but this area in question is right over the edge of the working grid, so I can't get at it.
Perhaps someone has a simple command move the map back to the grid?

Nice map though.Posted Image

I was annoyed by that problem too, I just temporarily increased the grid limit in the mapster32.cfg (editorgridextent) to twice the amount. You can see it there then (note, that's how I found out the blue key was there. I been there beforehand but because the wall didn't break open I didn't check back there until I used the editor).

This post has been edited by nukemania: 15 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

It worked before, so something's changed since it was made. I can't do anything about the weird wall texture alignment. I've tried normal alignment, "o", and "2", but nothing seems to work. Another quirk that's been introduced lately I suppose. It's fine after the crack has been opened though.

btw, the way it is now with the original version you have, the crack is already open. the player is supposed to shoot the button on the counter in the next shop over through the hole, so this doesn't really break the map progress.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Forge: 16 November 2012 - 07:41 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Never played that one. Good stuff, however I'm stuck : in the mall I went into the security room, unlocked 2 shops, found 2 keycards in there and came back into the security room to use those 2 keycards but that didn't seem to do anything. Anyone?

also what's the name of the map
edit: nvm found it http://msdn.duke4.net/hotduke12.php (i'm still stuck though)

This post has been edited by MetHy: 16 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

User is offline   Forge 

after using three key cards in the security room it's supposed to open a hidden door at the end of the hall between the security room and the bathrooms. there's a view screen next to the three locks aimed at the blank wall

edit: there are two blue keys. one hidden in the juice shop (which is the one mentioned in the previous discussion), the other is in the parking garage.

http://forums.duke4....pic/5052-a-map/

This post has been edited by Forge: 16 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Where do I find the 3rd keycard? I've only unlocked 2 rooms from the security room.

I can see a blue keycard in the dukeburger but I can't get to it

User is offline   Forge 

go into the restaurant, go into the kitchen, to the walk in freezer, through the vent into the duke burger, blow up crack, shoot switch through hole in the wall, that opens the door to the juice shop

User is offline   MetHy 

...but the restaurant is closed?

User is offline   Forge 

look above the doors to the restaurant in the mall indoor plaza across from the arcade, the glass is broke and you can jump off the rubbermaid through the hole

This post has been edited by Forge: 16 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMetHy, on 16 November 2012 - 07:51 AM, said:

Never played that one.
Same happened to me. I downloaded it back then and only recently discovered that somehow I forgot to play it. Forge, you should change your naming policy. :P

User is offline   MetHy 

Except from the cryptic restaurant/dukeburger passage that was a good map. Proof that a Duke map can still look suprising when doing a very common theme.

took me 37mins and found 2 secrets, I liked how I could use the freezer a lot

Hey, thanks for the info. I can't believe I didn't notice a switch through the hole.

This is a great map. I like the wide-open space and some of the interconnections. The non-linear start is pretty neat, too, allowing for multiple approaches for progressing.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Where have I heard that midi song before?

Great map, just started playing, I love its design.

User is offline   Hank 

View Postnukemania, on 15 November 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

I was annoyed by that problem too, I just temporarily increased the grid limit in the mapster32.cfg (editorgridextent) to twice the amount. You can see it there then (note, that's how I found out the blue key was there. I been there beforehand but because the wall didn't break open I didn't check back there until I used the editor).

Thanks - I didn't know that Posted Image

@ Forge - Good locking map, but I still can't play it. Posted Image

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postgerolf, on 16 November 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

Where have I heard that midi song before?

New Music : Yes (Alan Parsons Project - Sirius & Eye In The Sky)

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostForge, on 16 November 2012 - 07:38 AM, said:

It worked before, so something's changed since it was made. (...)

btw, the way it is now with the original version you have, the crack is already open. the player is supposed to shoot the button on the counter in the next shop over through the hole, so this doesn't really break the map progress.

What exactly regressed? I tried three versions of that map (see below), and in two of these, the wall was slightly open first, and had a big hole after shooting the fire extinguisher. This was with r3209, and it looks the same with r3210 as far as I can see.

There are apparently at least three versions of that map floating around btw: The one I downloaded back then, the one the OP posted, and the one posted by Forge now all have different MD5 checksums. I tried the first two.
598e6aead0c4449e536516c506667fee  0usermaps/02011/Duke_12_12.map
db7e7c352d60c450f588cf8f0d4d5ccf  Duke_12_12_different.map
df762000a4acd425464e96ec7944d825  Duke_12_12_yetanother.map

edit: oh and I never got to fully play that map, but I'm very fond of my "exclusive establishment" :P

User is offline   MetHy 

I played the version in the OP and the wall exploded just fine

User is offline   Forge 

View PostHelixhorned, on 18 November 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

What exactly regressed?

edit: oh and I never got to fully play that map, but I'm very fond of my "exclusive establishment" :P

In the original version it was a small hole in the wall that was supposed to get bigger when the crack was blown up. In the OP version, the hole was already at its max size even before the crack was blown up. In the version I posted, I closed the hole all the way and it opens up to full size when the crack is blown up. The only quirk I couldn't fix was the wall texture alignment. In mapster it looks fine, but it's off in game. It aligns itself after the crack has been blown up. It wasn't like that originally; it was aligned and stayed aligned in game.

I'm glad you enjoyed your establishment. I bet some daddy is proud that their daughter works for you. :P

edit: of course I aligned the texture so it looked right in game, but it becomes misaligned after the crack has been blown up

This post has been edited by Forge: 18 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options