Duke4.net Forums: Rocks (work title) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rocks (work title)  "small preview of my first SP map that Im finally started"

User is offline   Arwu 

Hi :D

Recently Im working on many small maps, learning skills and mapping techniques :D
This is a 'raw state' of my last map, it is only a piece of full idea that born in my head week ago.
IMPORTANT:
I'm need some opinions/help from experienced mappers, like what to change from beginning or what should be avoided :D
maybe somebody become a mapping partner here :D (yes, Im wish that someone help me upgrade visual design of this map) ..ehhh stoop dreamin'
Even TROR lately is not that bad for me, but my lame PC not support polymer so these visual glitches drives me crazy and I not use much of this feature :D so in this map I do not use it, except water.
I forgot to put jetpack so only method to trip around is with god mode or using mapster :D
thanks for read :D have a nice day/night . long live Duke4.net

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  rocks.zip (28.81K)
    Number of downloads: 202

This post has been edited by Arwu: 20 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

So far it looks ok, it's fairly different to typical duke maps due to the moon texture being used for cliffs rather than the overused brown cliff textures, it's also nice and open, but at the moment it's obviously fairly empty. Just put in lots of trees, plants and rocks (both sprite and sector-based) and that should help fill it up. Also the cliffs should cast shadows over the valley. I can't really suggest anything else, except to maybe look at WGRealms episode and Imperium to get some ideas of making large outdoor environments, but it was easier for them because they had extra custom textures for variety.

Also, depending on what theme you're going for, you could put in the occasional abandoned/destroyed small building to hold supplies and bring some focus into the layout.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 29 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Screenshots are always welcome to get people interested.
Attached Image: duke0000.jpg
I like those ruins. I think you are at a too early stage to ask for input on this one. Add more detail (plants, little buildings), some enemies for gameplay and use a greater variety of textures. The boundaries of the accessible area are boring. Work on this map until you'd think: "Without further advice I'd release it now." Then it should be ready for discussion on details which you might want to change or not. Considering Polymer you might be better off for the time being by omitting the TROR/transparent water stuff and make a classic/Polymost map if your own PC won't run it decently.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostArwu, on 29 October 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

I'm need some opinions/help from experienced mappers, like what to change from beginning or what should be avoided :D

Hey - Welcome!

Cool map, the only catch is, it has huge areas - I would set those to full visibility, unless it is supposed to be night time, in which case the ground needs to be shaded darker. As you can tell, I am into shading Posted Image either way, - you asked, this is only a suggestion, there are no rules.

• Honored Donor

Oh and btw if you run the map in polymer you'll find that the floor of the underwater sector at the start is set to transparent and you can see the skybox through it. Open up the map in polymer in mapster and press "t" on it a few times until it says "....set to normal"

User is offline   Arwu 

thanks guys B)
this piece of map is empty because Im not finished most of this preview. clifs are boring now, but in lake area you find that clifs are more complicated :D
Im start working on shadows from clifs that Micky suggested. Also I set visibility to max in outdoor areas and see how it looks :D
In final version should be more ruins and small neglected buildings (like remains from ancient civilization). this preview is only a ~20% size of full map when it become finished.
LeoD: in polymost, TROR water looks good for me and nothing is wrong with display :D but using TROR in polymost make eventually mirrors broke, someone points that in one of latest topic.
thanks for jump in :D if somebody wanna help with this map then please write :D this should motivate me more :D. Im need someone to draw a some rooms, corridors etc... and map should be more interesing if contains design from two or more mappers :D. someone ? :D
ps: next preview should be the last one :D Im do not want to show everything before release

This post has been edited by Arwu: 30 October 2012 - 06:44 AM

User is offline   underTaker 

I do not consider myself as experienced mapper, but i think any help will be... helpful? :D

I liked your style. The only thing i could advice to you, is to balance lightning around the ruins - ruins themself are bit too bright in comparison to the rocks around it.

When you will be working more with this map, you could try adding some details like sheds or another rocks around the path to add some detailing, or just decrease it's size a little bit. Sometimes player may read the map as boring, when it has too many open spaces (from my own experience - i find big open maps a little boring in various games).

Generaly it looked very interresting. Keep going :D

Oh, you could replace octabrain at the very beginning with commander, so it will be like the player is running away from his rockets :D

User is offline   Arwu 

^^ I think about simple method to edit with someone.. maybe I send file to 'someone' and when this 'someone' ends, then should resend map, thats should be easy and prevent from editing by two or more people at the same time :D

underTaker :D If seriously you want to help thats not problem for me :D just write PM with your mail or something and amount of time, maybe I missing something important ?? and about bright ruins, it is a remains of sector test visibility that I use on beginning just to see from away how it looks :D

Sure i would like to :D Every new mapper is very welcome!

But first i would like to finish my map. It will take me few days. Generally it is finished, i just have to add some details, monsters, weapons and make sure the gameplay will be fluent. Oh God... I got only 400 walls left of the limit o.O It is pretty big one ^^

I got your point :D It is good to map with other people. Two heads have more ideas than one do :D

User is offline   Arwu 

wow:) so big map you make :D now I have opened duke infosuite to add interesting beginning of my level (thanks to you underTaker I have a good idea ^^)

Well, i'm just adding stuff and can't really stop :D

Don't forget to ask on the forum any questions. I was starting by asking much as well :D I don't know what idea you have, but i'm glad i could help :D

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

There's an overdose of smilies in the last six posts.

Smiles rlz!

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 30 October 2012 - 08:19 AM, said:

There's an overdose of smilies in the last six posts.

You remind me of Kor from Star Trek The Original Series.

"I don't trust men who smile too much."

User is offline   Arwu 

hi :P. My another question is:
how about custom textures packed in .art files ? map become bigger and bigger and these textures help me with fill empty spaces and ideally fit to this map.. but on second side, people do not like much additional files in duke folder... What you guys think about that ?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostArwu, on 04 January 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

how about custom textures packed in .art files ? map become bigger and bigger and these textures help me with fill empty spaces and ideally fit to this map.. but on second side, people do not like much additional files in duke folder... What you guys think about that ?
Just go ahead. (tiles014.art I suppose.) While I like to have a clean EDuke32 folder as a default, I don't mind unzipping a user map's additional stuff into it temporarily. (At least I prefer that over a GRP/BAT combination.)

User is offline   Arwu 

tiles024.art and tiles025.art, (because I wanted map working with DukePlus which had new graphics). My wish is that art files should be loaded from folder contains a map, not the main eduke folder. hmmm still thinking...

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostArwu, on 04 January 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

tiles024.art and tiles025.art, (because I wanted map working with DukePlus which had new graphics).
DukePlus comes with tiles024.art, you wouldn't want to override that. tiles014/015.art are reserved for user art and should be the preferred place to store it.

View PostArwu, on 04 January 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

My wish is that art files should be loaded from folder contains a map, not the main eduke folder. hmmm still thinking...
You won't be able to please everyone anyway. Besides unzipping MAP and ART to the EDuke32 folder, you can:
-Have your stuff on the top level of your ZIP. Then simply put the ZIP into the autoload folder, if present. (Not acceptable for the old school fraction.)
-Have your stuff in a zipped folder, used (unzipped) as custom game content directory. (Not DukePlus compatible.)
-Have your stuff in a zipped folder, use the -j option to add this (uzipped) folder. (Usually comes with a BAT file; Linux users will have to type the command line manually or make a start script. Not a problem since they're less lazy than the Windoers.)
-Have your stuff on the top level of your ZIP. Put that into a RAR or 7Z, together with a BAT that loads the ZIP which is not unpacked. (Mostly used when there are a lot files in th ZIP.)

User is offline   Arwu 

thanks for some methods in one place :P. that should help me and others too, thanks.

hmm.I have two new sets of textures so I can put them as tiles 14 and 15 ?? DukePlus use these tiles ? B). and yes, DP use tiles24 as well. Help xD

User is offline   Arwu 

please help.. I have two days without serioussly mapping because I dont know where to put my custom tiles...

• Honored Donor

According to LeoD's last post it seems you can use tiles 14 and 15, and they should automatically show up in mapster and eduke and not clash with Dukeplus.

User is offline   Arwu 

much thanks ! :P. now I have no more questions about this B)

User is offline   Arwu 

after my HDD become broken (with this map) Im do not have ideas for new map... Rocks.map and other files probably exists on damaged disk, but I not guarantee this :P.. I do not lost any hope, even thinking to make this map from beginning.. we will see, maybe disk is not dead yet. : )

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostArwu, on 26 February 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

after my HDD become broken (with this map) Im do not have ideas for new map... Rocks.map and other files probably exists on damaged disk, but I not guarantee this :P.. I do not lost any hope, even thinking to make this map from beginning.. we will see, maybe disk is not dead yet. : )
Sad to hear about that. Good luck for reviving your disk. Remember the three laws of computing:
1) make backups
2) make backups
3) ...

User is offline   Arwu 

yeah LeoD. Im never make this mistake again.
anyway Im started today this map once more.. Lake area is 5 times bigger and had more areas to explore, not only one path around as earlier. before I buy a new pc Im should finish this map using polymost. I report about progress later :P now I have only 96 sectors.
Wish me good luck :D thanks

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostArwu, on 26 February 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

what happened to the HDD? is it making funny clicking noises? just not working at all?

know anybody that will let you "play" with their computer? make your HDD a slave drive or a secondary HDD in their computer and see if you can read any info off of it or try to do a recovery on it.

User is offline   Arwu 

Im tried different cable, pc's, set as master, slave, with or without other devices. when I run pc, then I hear that disk working on about two seconds then stop. bios do not see this HDD. Im out of ideas. Probably controller on HDD is 'broken'. Friend tell me to try hdd adapter which had own drivers. if this not help, then I must pay for data recovery (maybe). this disk is old... if only I have another the same disk with the same firmware.. maybe onl electronics is damaged somehow..

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostArwu, on 27 February 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

Im tried different cable, pc's, set as master, slave, with or without other devices. when I run pc, then I hear that disk working on about two seconds then stop. bios do not see this HDD. Im out of ideas. Probably controller on HDD is 'broken'. Friend tell me to try hdd adapter which had own drivers. if this not help, then I must pay for data recovery (maybe). this disk is old... if only I have another the same disk with the same firmware.. maybe onl electronics is damaged somehow..

that's too bad.

there's probably more computer savvy people lurking on this forum. maybe ask around before you pay to try a data recovery

User is offline   Arwu 

Im out of ideas.. best chance is to search for that hdd on internet .. but it is very old.. ehh my duke work is on that hdd.... and many many more important files.. Im do not want asking more.. nobody tell me something new: the same second disk or try the adapter, or service. : p

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options