Duke4.net Forums: Favorite Duke Nukem 3d Addon? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Favorite Duke Nukem 3d Addon?  "Any favorite Duke 3d addon published by Wizard Works"

Poll: Favorite Duke 3D addon? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Duke 3d Addon

1. Duke it out in DC (6 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. Duke Carribean (11 votes [52.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.38%

3. Duke Nukem Nuclear Winter (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Other (Duke! Zone I & II, Duke Extreme) (4 votes [19.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Duke Carribean is #1 on my list because of the upbeat atmosphere and excellent level design. Duke It Out In DC is #2 on my list. Smithsonian Terror anyone? Nuclear Winter is alright w/ the FEM elves that drop presents when they die. How about you?

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 02 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

EDIT: Didn't put the poll up. Fixed now.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 02 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I like DC with its great sense of progression through the episode and its believable level design based on real life locations. They're probably waaay off from reality but since I've never visited the locations nor have any real interest to visit them it doesn't bother me at all.

User is offline   NNC 

Caribbean leveldesign is excellent, although I don't like the modified weapons and monsters. They look dull in the later levels.

DC levels are very repetitive and boring, except for a few cases.

Nuclear Winter had some good ideas, but it lacks too many thing to challenge the others.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Caribbean is the most consistent and well put together.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 02 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 02 October 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

Caribbean is the most consistent and well put together.

Agreed! ;)

User is offline   Jinroh 

Duke Zone II of course, with the sheer amount of content you get who could argue? ;)

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

By that logic I could use a random map generator to make 1,000,000 maps and call it better than Sunstorm's stuff.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostHendricks266, on 03 October 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

By that logic I could use a random map generator to make 1,000,000 maps and call it better than Sunstorm's stuff.

Exactly at least there you get unlimited replay value. ;)

In all seriousness I have to say Duke It Out In D.C. because it's the only one I actually had a chance to play. :/ I'm a bigger fan of Shadow Warrior Addons personally, but this is Duke we're talking and I thought it was really cool to take the Duke out on the town in D.C. :P

User is offline   MetHy 

Anybody who voted something other than Caribbean Life is a fool who doesn't know anything about Duke Nukem 3D.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

DC has nice maps, as does the Caribbean. I don't like the toy guns in Caribbean though. Still, it has been quite a while since I played it so I'm not gonna cast a vote yet.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

In the early versions of eduke Caribbean, including early releases of Hendrick's VacaPlus, there was a bug on one of the doors that made it impossible to finish the first level. I remember trying the addon on several different occasions and getting stuck and frustrated because of it. Naturally that pulled my opinion of the mod right down. I think the bug is fixed now, and I remember playing through the whole thing at some point, and it was ok. The weapons didnt really bother me although it did make the whole thing less serious. I should probably play through it again sometime. But I still prefer D.C's levels because of the reasons I mentioned in my previous post, I didn't find them overly repetitive. I loved the episode enough to add polymer lights to all the levels for the HRP.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

DC's okay, but some of the levels are really bullshit, like Smithsonian Terror, Nuke Proof, Brown Water and Top Secret.

User is online   Lunick 

I actually really liked the King Cobra and Gorilla Captain from Duke Xtreme.

User is offline   MetHy 

I never encountered such a bug with Caribbean Life.

Also don't get me wrong : DC is definitly great : it's classic Duke3D city maps, but the thing is it's like another episode 3 : more of the same. Caribbean succeeded in creating something very different while still keeping the Duke3D spirit and while being consistent all the way through. It does everything in a great way (atmosphere, level layout&design, gameplay)

User is offline   NNC 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 03 October 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

DC's okay, but some of the levels are really bullshit, like Smithsonian Terror, Nuke Proof, Brown Water and Top Secret.

What's your problem with Top Secret? That level looks very good, better than most others in the episode. Maybe it has too much drones in some areas, but Wieder liked using them in all of his maps. The aztec part is a little out of place though.

My personal favourite level in DC are the third one (Nuke Files) and the fifth one (Capitol Punishment). They look like maps that could be put in the original game. Metro mayhem is also a very good level with some well put together areas...

The first two levels are okay, but lack action especially at the end. Smithsonian is... smithsonian. Good for a usermap though, and I liked how they reused the aquatic part of betaone. Brown water is a filler for most part, but not necessarily bad. The sub level could have been fine, but I don't like the cramped areas, and again, very unbalanced gameplay hurts a little. The final level was a disappointment.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 03 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMetHy, on 03 October 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

I never encountered such a bug with Caribbean Life.

Also don't get me wrong : DC is definitly great : it's classic Duke3D city maps, but the thing is it's like another episode 3 : more of the same. Caribbean succeeded in creating something very different while still keeping the Duke3D spirit and while being consistent all the way through. It does everything in a great way (atmosphere, level layout&design, gameplay)

The wind.voc issue in the last two levels is definately a bug. I love Caribbean but they could have polished it with all the modified weapons, enemies, voc files.

The theme park level sucks in it IMHO.

User is offline   MetHy 

That level is a bit confusing the first times through but it's definitly great.

User is online   Malgon 

I had a lot of fun with DC (I liked Smithsonian, which not everyone does) so I'm going to go with that as my favourite. Caribbean is probably a bit more consistent in its level design though, which makes it a stronger addon overall.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Top Secret is okay, but it's way too silly with the Aztec shit and stuff. Out of the 'bad maps' it's the best one.

User is offline   MetHy 

that's because top secret was recycled from the usermap he made before the mapper turned pro. I remember we talked with him once on DNR forums.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMetHy, on 04 October 2012 - 10:20 PM, said:

that's because top secret was recycled from the usermap he made before the mapper turned pro. I remember we talked with him once on DNR forums.

Aztec was made by Robert Travis, while the rest of Top Secret was from Wieder.

User is offline   MetHy 

I'm pretty sure they are the same person. I'm too lazy to find the thread on DNR though.

Anyway I just replayed Duke It Out in DC and my opinion remains the same : it's a good episode, but "just" good. It can not hold up to the greatness of Caribbean Life (and Nuclear Winter is out of the competition obviously).

It's the first time I noticed that gameplay was kinda boring in DC, it's pigcops madness everywhere! too many of those and not enough of the rest.

Duke Xtreme is totally awesome. There are options for like 10x the amount of gore, and so much other awesome stuff.

User is offline   NNC 

I replayed the first half of DC, and now I thought Smithsonian is really awesome. Not necessarily good for an episode, but it's great as a standalone level. Also it's the level that really shows Robert Travis' original mapping style he developed with Anslem, Betatwo and Aztec. Just with more professional graphics.

Is it wrong for me to vote? :D

View PostMetHy, on 05 October 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure they are the same person. I'm too lazy to find the thread on DNR though.

I'm trying to think of anything Robert and I have in common besides Build Engine mapping...

Robert did have some great tips for boosting the lighting in the non-aztec parts of Top Secret. I improved a lot during that addon from my user stuff to everything after (Carib/Wanton) based on watching how he went about some things. I shared back with him the really technical ways of abusing build systems. :D

The lighting in the Submarine was always my favorite part of that map.

This post has been edited by Wieder: 13 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

Holy Jebus... I never realized how many mugshots you get when you search for Robert Travis.

That's a bummer as he deserves way more support for his LD efforts back in the day that the net is able to provide. He was an ultra nice guy in person and almost nobody in the industry got the chance to interact with him. He drove me to work all the time when I was making less than minimum wage per hour invested (happily I might add) at Sunstorm.

Caribbean.

The other ones except nuclear winter (which i don't like so much )seem only the same duke with additional levels.

Caribbean is original: funny, sunny atmosphere, nice soundtrack. I still play it sometimes.

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 14 October 2012 - 02:36 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options