Duke4.net Forums: L.A. Meltdown Remake Project. - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

L.A. Meltdown Remake Project.  "This is a group project. I am project leader. You all may help."

Guest_LakiSoft_*

Hi, it's me newbie LakiSoft. I know i am working with some other projects like "Duke Nukem Back In Time prequel trilogy" but i should do this project first. I want to we make from scratch L.A. Metldown Episode remake. You guys most voted for this classic episode in "Favorite Episode topic". So i thinked to we start group project. Yeah! We have to make levels based on all levels from L.A. Meltdown but with FULL VERSION monster and weapons. Original L.A. Meltdown only uses shareware contect. I want to work with people. So me need PRO Mapers. I am at Middle rank at mapping so i want more HQ Levels. That's the one of reasons i want to work group project. Other reason are that it's nice to do something cool with other people. As well because it's will use FULL VERSION contect we should place Mini Battlelords and Plutonium Pack aliens in maps. And we will do that in next list:

Hollywood Holocaust and Red Light District remakes will still have shareware contect but full version textures are welcome. Death Row and Toxic Dump will use Full V1.3D contect. The Launch Facility and The Abyss will use also Plutonium PAK contect. But because it is remake of Episode 1 L.A. Meltdown it will still have same boss. Sorry if someone wanted Queen as boss. ;) In this remake there's will not be secret level. Launch Facility will be before Abyss and after Toxic Dump as a normal level. I suggest to leave original names as a E1L1.MAP to E1L6.MAP. I don't want to modifi .CON files, i just want replacement for Episode 1 L.A. Meltdown. So what you guys waiting for, Christmas, let's go to work now! :P Suggestions are welcome. I also will build some parts of levels. :D Good Luck to all who wish to help. :P

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Posted Image

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

What Mikko said.

Guest_LakiSoft_*

Achenar, on 10 September 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

What Mikko said.

No! Really guys! I want to we start this project. Please!;)

• Glory To Motherland!

Posted Image
Content content content content content content content

Guest_LakiSoft_*

Achenar, on 10 September 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

Posted Image

;) You mean that always i said "Content" in my post. Yeah! First two levels should have shareware content, second two levels should have full v1.3d content and final two levels should have PP content. :P

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

The problem... You see, is that most people are probably having trouble seeing how you possibly hope to get a team together to work on projects when you yourself haven't actually demonstrated anything in either of these threads.

Secondly... No. Just. No. A remake of Hollywood Holocaust? Not a bad idea. They've done similar things with Knee Deep in the Dead for Zdoom. Which was pretty damn good. The thing there was a very intense upgrade of the original levels to something much closer to what modern level design (in terms of detail) could do.

You can't just say... "I HAVE THIS GREAT IDEA GUYS!... Let's make this huge ass project which requires talent I don't yet have, so what i'm really saying is. I have this idea, now you can all do the work to make it happen! Step One. Step Two. ???? ... PROFIT!"

What you need to do with this, if you really want to get people excited, and willing to come on board? Proof of content. Or, proof of concept. Take a location from the original episode, maybe a series of locations. Maybe just one level, and do what you think should be done to make it meet the needs of this project.

Then come back with that in hand, and you will probably get some peoples attention. People around here are all working on projects of their own, or have very specialized skills that they don't just hand out willy-nilly.

User is offline   t800 

Achenar, on 10 September 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

<Image with sweaty Steve Ballmer>

You forgot to add: "Wooohooo! I love this topic!"

Guest_LakiSoft_*

Commando Nukem, on 10 September 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

The problem... You see, is that most people are probably having trouble seeing how you possibly hope to get a team together to work on projects when you yourself haven't actually demonstrated anything in either of these threads.

Secondly... No. Just. No. A remake of Hollywood Holocaust? Not a bad idea. They've done similar things with Knee Deep in the Dead for Zdoom. Which was pretty damn good. The thing there was a very intense upgrade of the original levels to something much closer to what modern level design (in terms of detail) could do.

You can't just say... "I HAVE THIS GREAT IDEA GUYS!... Let's make this huge ass project which requires talent I don't yet have, so what i'm really saying is. I have this idea, now you can all do the work to make it happen! Step One. Step Two. ???? ... PROFIT!"

What you need to do with this, if you really want to get people excited, and willing to come on board? Proof of content. Or, proof of concept. Take a location from the original episode, maybe a series of locations. Maybe just one level, and do what you think should be done to make it meet the needs of this project.

Then come back with that in hand, and you will probably get some peoples attention. People around here are all working on projects of their own, or have very specialized skills that they don't just hand out willy-nilly.

You mean i should say what have to be done on which map? That will not be a problem. I will EDIT my post. Or i have better idea. Let's i make remake of hollywood holocaust and then people will get you inspired to make remake of others. You mean that?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

LakiSoft, on 10 September 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

You mean i should say what have to be done on which map? That will not be a problem. I will EDIT my post. Or i have better idea. Let's i make remake of hollywood holocaust and then people will get you inspired to make remake of others. You mean that?
No one of the experienced guys will jump on your train until you prove that you are able to significantly contribute to your own project. Even then I'm somewhat sure that most of them have more than enough ideas on their own which just can't come true due to the lack of spare time.
You might want to read somewhat similar (to me) threads which might explain why no one shouts hooray on this topic:
http://forums.duke4....ident-evil-2-tc
http://forums.duke4....1-i-am-a-newbie

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'd much rather see the pro mappers work on original and new content then trying to remake old levels. Between Duke Nukem Eternity and Metropolitan Mayhem I think we've got this front covered.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

10 days, 5 threads.

This project is doomed. Not only is it way out of your league, you have a typical newbie assumption that people from the community with talent will flock to your half-baked ideas to help you.

More importantly, the original levels are balanced in their current state. The most modification I could see would be adding the registered weapons only in DM, and that is not a full-scale project like this. Changing the textures, enemies, level order and so on is just not necessary. The lack of harder enemies is part of a difficulty curve to introduce you to the game (beyond them just being absent without purchasing the game).

Posted Image

User is offline   CruX 

...Isn't there some kind of legal issue with remaking the original levels anyway?

• Honored Donor

There should be no problem as long as people still require the duke3d.grp to play them, which they will of course.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Only if you're using the original maps as a base. It's not like 3D Realms owns the rights to make levels in movie theaters.

• Honored Donor

What about Duke's Nightmare by the Commander?

• Glory To Motherland!

I think it's clear that Levelord is beyond the point of caring whether or not someone filches his map design, though I guess the same can't be said for Gearbox. Giving credit when due perhaps might be prudent (I have seen original map remakes/revisions before that credit the original designers).

As Micky C above pointed out, if one were to include a copy of a mostly unedited DUKE3D.GRP in a mod, that would be considered piracy, more so than an altered map.

This post has been edited by Achenar: 10 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

• Honored Donor

No I mean it's not like we're letting people play the levels for free, they still need the game.

And as for DNF's levels, you can't copyright a straight line ;)

User is offline   NNC 

What's your point? Remaking the levels like Fernando Marquez' New York Rebellion episode, or expanding the original ones with PP content, enemies, weapons?

If you choose the former, show something of your own before you ask for help. If you choose the latter, I don't think you need help. Changing a pigcop sprite to an enforcer or addig various PP textures doesn't need that much of a work really.

I expanded Sewer and Sweeney in a few hours and released them just for fun, also my reasons were a little better since those maps were unfinished. LA Meltdown is finished and not broken in any way.

User is offline   NNC 

Btw. my personal opinion is that LA Meltdown is easily the best episode in the game. It has an actual flow, you are not circling around the similar theme for ages but go from somewhere to somewhere. E2 and E3 both suffered from repetition, E4 is a little better, but too many people worked on it, and levels weren't linked well. Only a few later levels matched E1 actually: Dark Side, LA Rumble, Freeway, Critical Mass, Derelict, and maybe a few others. The rest is clearly behind with the atmosphere that E1 added to the game.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 11 September 2012 - 02:47 AM

Guest_LakiSoft_*

Guys i am understanding you all but i don't want to modify DUKE3D levels. I want to make levels from scratch. But not using DUKE3D.GRP levels as base, just to make new levels based on EP1 levels from scratch. Understand now? Like Doom mod Knee Deep in ZDoom.

User is offline   CruX 

The central point is that there's very little likelihood anybody's going to want to help you, since the idea (quite frankly) isn't worth their time and you have no community credibility. You say you want to make levels from scratch, so why not just do that? No modifications, no episode replacements, just release a few user maps on your own.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Has this kid provided any proof of his previous work as he says he is "middle rank" at mapping, what ever the fuck that means I have no idea.
Unless he can show he has quality work I wouldnt listen to this kid.

I bet my worst map ever Dukes Nightmare would be 100x better than what this guy is planning.

You sound very mature yourself.

• Honored Donor

The best way to get community credibility is by releasing a map that gets a score of 90 or above at one of the Duke review sites. The reviewers take several things into account, including but not limited to layout, gameplay, architecture, detailing and shading.

Low detailed maps, around the standard of the original maps are just as good as high detailed ones, but be careful though; there's a difference between making a low-detailed map because that's what you're intending to do, and making a low-detailed map due to laziness or lack of experience. It's usually very easy to tell the difference; the better ones for starters usually have good shading and texturing.

If someone has never made a map before, they can usually reach the 90's after their 3rd or 4th map generally speaking, but we won't know where you're starting out until you actually release something. A lot of attention is on you right now so if I were you I'd take my time and go full out on your first map release and come out with a bang.

Guest_LakiSoft_*

Guys if you want to see how's my map building quality download my maps from 2007. In that time i am was 9 only. ;)
http://filesmelt.com/dl/LakiMape.rar

These maps are for v1.3D so you don't need Atomic Edition. I know that today anyone has atomic edition expect for an my friend. He are stucked with v1.3D. L7 and L8 are the best i do by my personal thinking. Try it. And yes it's better to just release a map from scratch as you EmericaSkater said. I will do that later. :P

This post has been edited by LakiSoft: 11 September 2012 - 06:17 AM

• Honored Donor

I had a quick, 30 second look at the maps, and to be honest they have basically every single problem that a map can possibly have.

Small,
bad texturing,
mismatching texture allignments,
oversized rooms,
underdetailed,
zero shading,
details out of place,
too many weapons lumped together,
almost minimal spritework
blocky square rooms with super basic architecture,
whole episode looks like 30 minutes of work.

I'm not trying to scare you off, but you have a lot of work to do if you want to become a half decent mapper. Every guy thinks his first(s) is the best thing since the creation of the universe, but in reality that's not so. I'll reinforce what I said before and abandon all hopes for an episode, and a community project or whatever, and definitely focus on building a single map, and making it as detailed and polished as you can. Take that map, throw it in the bin, take what you've learnt and make a second map, get that beta tested, then release it. After three or so maps you should be on your way to being able to make that episode.

If nothing else, use this criteria for your first map: If your map file is less than 400kb in size, and you've spent less than 3 months on it, you're doing something wrong. The good news is, we'll be here to support you if you have any questions.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 11 September 2012 - 06:59 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Better than what I did at the age of 9. At least he got some SE right. The next step is learning to shade.

Edit :

If nothing else, use this criteria for your first map: If your map file is less than 400kb in size, and you've spent less than 3 months on it, you're doing something wrong.

That's completely wrong and we've proven that with the Metropolitan Mayhem episode. You can make a good small map in 1-2 days if you know what you're doing and had ideas and plans in your head beforehand.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 11 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

Guest_LakiSoft_*

Micky C, on 11 September 2012 - 06:56 AM, said:

I had a quick, 30 second look at the maps, and to be honest they have basically every single problem that a map can possibly have.

Small,
bad texturing,
mismatching texture allignments,
oversized rooms,
underdetailed,
zero shading,
details out of place,
too many weapons lumped together,
almost minimal spritework
blocky square rooms with super basic architecture,
whole episode looks like 30 minutes of work.

I'm not trying to scare you off, but you have a lot of work to do if you want to become a half decent mapper. Every guy thinks his first(s) is the best thing since the creation of the universe, but in reality that's not so. I'll reinforce what I said before and abandon all hopes for an episode, and a community project or whatever, and definitely focus on building a single map, and making it as detailed and polished as you can. Take that map, throw it in the bin, take what you've learnt and make a second map, get that beta tested, then release it. After three or so maps you should be on your way to being able to make that episode.

If nothing else, use this criteria for your first map: If your map file is less than 400kb in size, and you've spent less than 3 months on it, you're doing something wrong. The good news is, we'll be here to support you if you have any questions.

I also haved better version of L1.MAP but it's gone. ;) Anyway now i can make more cool maps. I will make remake of L.A. Meltodwon episodes in one map then i will send it here. :P Now i can make more better maps. These are from that time.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

rasmus thorup, on 11 September 2012 - 05:51 AM, said:

You sound very mature yourself.

Just calling it as it is.

Posted Image

Any fool who has been around these forums long enough knows that this thread and his others are a lost cause, so why kid yourself?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options