Duke4.net Forums: Best mods - point me towards them! - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best mods - point me towards them!

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Didn't Wieder himself release an "original" version of the map?

User is offline   NNC 

View PostHendricks266, on 31 August 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

Didn't Wieder himself release an "original" version of the map?

If that really happened, I would marry to the guy who points to the site I can download it from. ;)

User is offline   NNC 

Anyway, if someone is interested, here just a version where Alien Remains is normal. I've only modified the last boss area, and just with the original green textures which have been replaced with funky colored ones. Also the new boss is the Battlelord, it fits to the surrounding much more, also replaced the "sea pigs" (Enforcers) with drones in the "penalty" rooms. Everything else is the same, except monsters and weapons are just normal.

The biggest proof this map wasn't made for Caribbean is the wind.voc in the secret outside area. In my old computer I even got error messages in that area because the wind.voc had been replaced with that final cutscene music and speech and it really doesn't belong to that place. If for nothing else, this version worth playing for that alone.

Attached File  alien.rar (433.23K)
Number of downloads: 182

User is offline   MetHy 

Well I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to "prove" here, besides that the original plays 10 times better and that at least in that one I never got SoS glitches one of which that teleported me into Dukematch-only areas.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 01 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 31 August 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

Caribbean's last level was just kinda thrown in there. It was originally just a plain ol' usermap, but it was repurposed for Caribbean. It's a good map, but really out of place.

View PostHendricks266, on 31 August 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

Sunstorm has a habit of doing that. Duke DC Secret Level is based on AZTEC.MAP by one of their employees, Robert Travis.

Never knew that, interesting. I really thought it was remiscent of Aztec, but it was so many years since I played it I just thought they were similar.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMetHy, on 01 September 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

Well I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to "prove" here, besides that the original plays 10 times better and that at least in that one I never got SoS glitches one of which that teleported me into Dukematch-only areas.

SOS happened with the original map too, because of overlapping sectors. That's why there is an open teleporter in the blue octabrain room, where you can go back to the starting area. But thanks for your always useful contribution.

View PostNancsi, on 01 September 2012 - 07:05 AM, said:

The biggest proof this map wasn't made for Caribbean is the wind.voc in the secret outside area. In my old computer I even got error messages in that area because the wind.voc had been replaced with that final cutscene music and speech and it really doesn't belong to that place. If for nothing else, this version worth playing for that alone.

Hmmm... interesting. I still don't know what happened to cause the wind.voc issue.

That said, the map was built during the Caribbean development time and was definitely intended for it. Though now that you mention it I can't for the life of me remember why. The level designer in me mostly enjoyed all the build tricks I got to try and a haunted house rather than real world style layout.

I think it originally started as that large outdoor area with all the rocks so we could have the Kobayashi Maru sunk at the bottom and just thought "Secret underground base in the Caribbean where the aliens were plotting their evil plans! Perfect!"

Simpler times.
/looks at modern shooters.
Ok maybe times haven't changed much. ;)

This post has been edited by Wieder: 29 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

User is offline   NNC 

View PostWieder, on 29 September 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

Hmmm... interesting. I still don't know what happened to cause the wind.voc issue.

That said, the map was built during the Caribbean development time and was definitely intended for it. Though now that you mention it I can't for the life of me remember why. The level designer in me mostly enjoyed all the build tricks I got to try and a haunted house rather than real world style layout.

I think it originally started as that large outdoor area with all the rocks so we could have the Kobayashi Maru sunk at the bottom and just thought "Secret underground base in the Caribbean where the aliens were plotting their evil plans! Perfect!"

Simpler times.
Ok maybe times haven't changed much. :P

Hi Wieder! :P

I think the wind.voc issue came with the modification of the final animated scene. In the original E3, wind.voc have been played during the stadium scene. In DukeDC it wasn't really an issue as wind.voc have been kept for the final animation. In Caribbean, it had been changed into calypso music and Duke talk, and that caused the bug in both of the Voodo level and the final level.

Thanks for your explanation though... I still prefer playing the map without caribbean stuff, and altered final room, but it's excellent in its original form as well. It has a great layout, and the secret areas are more than impressive. ;)

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostWieder, on 29 September 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

Simpler times.
Ok maybe times haven't changed much. ;)

More complicated dressing.

View PostNancsi, on 29 September 2012 - 10:20 PM, said:

Hi Wieder! :D

I think the wind.voc issue came with the modification of the final animated scene. In the original E3, wind.voc have been played during the stadium scene. In DukeDC it wasn't really an issue as wind.voc have been kept for the final animation. In Caribbean, it had been changed into calypso music and Duke talk, and that caused the bug in both of the Voodo level and the final level.

Thanks for your explanation though... I still prefer playing the map without caribbean stuff, and altered final room, but it's excellent in its original form as well. It has a great layout, and the secret areas are more than impressive. :P

Howdy!

Yeah I understand what technically is wrong, but I don't understand how it was missed.

I agree with you that the map is more suited to be a standard Duke map style wise and I still blush when you compliment, so thank you. ;)

View PostCommando Nukem, on 30 September 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

More complicated dressing.

Someday... someday I'll speak fully openly about what I've witnessed through the years. :P

Wouldn't be surprising to anyone familiar with any form of art/expression that becomes successful and loses its soul.

I refuse to let go of the heart behind interacting with a human player versus chasing customers, even if it's currently getting in my way professionally as I try to figure out what way I want to fit into the current state of the field of "gameplay". Which for me extends far beyond games into real life... consciousness... and heart. Not wallets. If I had my way when you finished playing something I worked on you would have a fatter wallet... or want no wallet at all!

Someday. :)

This post has been edited by Wieder: 01 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

"Beat my game, get free ganga."

User is offline   supergoofy 

Someone should update the wiki: http://wiki.eduke32....2_Modifications

lots of updates and corrections are needed in the wiki page

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I never liked that page... it always had loads of inconsistencies.

User is offline   t800 

That page is some sort of memorial to many old dead, sadly unfinished, abandoned and long ago forgotten mods, so it holds some nostalgic feeling for me.
And some old obsolete screenshots put smile on my face (I am looking at you WGR2 and AMC TC).

P.S. And without it I wouldnt find out Return of the King, mod that I am attentively tracking its progress and patiently awaiting its release.

This post has been edited by t800: 03 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

• Honored Donor

I had always thought the primary purpose of that page was to be a quick and easy guide to noobs about what mods they can/should download and play, since the rest of us already know about most of the mods and where to get them.

In that respect, the page is incredibly bloated. For example, I don't like how Nuclear Winter and Carribean Plus are there (no offence Hendricks) because they're not so much mods as improvement packs. It's like having the HRP on that page. I'm aware that Dukeplus is and should be there, but the difference is that noobs might not own the official expansion packs and you have to buy them to play them, unlike everything else on that page which is free.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postt800, on 03 October 2012 - 02:27 AM, said:

P.S. And without it I wouldnt find out Return of the King, mod that I am attentively tracking its progress and patiently awaiting its release.

Thanks dude. It's sorta in progress. It's indefinitely on hold. I'm currently working on another project that will serve as the base for RotK (which desperately needs a name change.) I don't really post about my projects now because I don't like hyping up things coupled with the fact that I am abandoning past progress of RotK because my skills have increased quite a bit and bringing everything up to snuff would be more work than starting over. (Oh lord, not the Demon Eclipse/Eriance syndrome.)

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 03 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

User is offline   Narcissus 

Hey guys,

Great to see the conversation is still rolling, I've been away from Duke for the last week or two (Got sucked in to work and finally playing San Andreas for the first time...) but I finally managed to finish up most of the official add ons. I also gave Age of Evil a go and had a blast with it - i love short compact levels with a dollop of humor.

Anyway, a friend of mine mentioned Duke nukem inferno 3d , and I tried to play it but there's not even a grp file. There's an exe, a .off, and a .blk file... any idea what the heck is up with that?

Oy, figured out how to run Inferno with a little experimentation and... hoo boy. That is definitely something.

Now that I've blasted through most of the official releases, I'm about to give AMC TC a go. I figured I might give Oblivion a try, but pretty much every review I've google-found has mentioned some pretty brutal puzzles. Considering I'm not the best at these types of games to begin with, is there a walkthrough floating about the internet for Oblivion anywhere?

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I don't think so, but it really would have served the mod well if Zax had included a walkthrough (maybe in pdf format) with the mod.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I wouldn't even say the puzzles are the biggest problem, Zax's maps are huge and there's too much "What the fuck am I supposed to do!?" in there.

Finally making my way through the classic mods - just polished off Starship troopers and grins of divinity.

Unfortunately, I've hit a road block in the first level of last reaction. Does the game actually expect me to get the jetpack in the alien cavern towards the start and swim back up the super long tunnel that leaves me with something like 5 health? I'm tried turning on the jetpack and just swimming straight up but ye gods, my health just gets wrecked.

There's a switch on the wall down in the cavern, but I can't figure out what it does.

In the meantime, I'm off to play the gate. :P

View PostNarcissus, on 03 November 2012 - 06:12 AM, said:

Oy, figured out how to run Inferno with a little experimentation and... hoo boy. That is definitely something.

Now that I've blasted through most of the official releases, I'm about to give AMC TC a go. I figured I might give Oblivion a try, but pretty much every review I've google-found has mentioned some pretty brutal puzzles. Considering I'm not the best at these types of games to begin with, is there a walkthrough floating about the internet for Oblivion anywhere?

I'd recommend you download and play Oblivion, anyway, even though the puzzles are really hard, and what I think is a secret level is so much of a nightmare to me that I still can't beat it; I have tried and tried for so many ages. Zaxtor is a pretty awesome mapper/modder from what I've seen, and I thought that Oblivion was really well made, so give it a try if you ever get bored and can't find any other mods that interest you!

I'll definitely give it a go, though probably after giving Imagination world and AMC a whirl. :P/>/>

Honestly, I'm more than a bit rusty with my keycard-finding skills. I just spent a solid thirty minutes in one level of The Gate looking for a keycard.... only for it be hidden behind a painting. Oy.

And seriously, eff that first level of last reaction. I think I've ran around it a billion times looking for a secret path or scuba gear. Its just bad level design to force the player to lose over 100 health points to continue.

EDIT: Huzzah! Just beat the gate... sorta. Really impressive set of levels, good variety whilst still feeling like I was making coherent progress.

Unfortunately, I think the final boss is glitched beyond belief. I think I'm supposed to take out the five brains and then the boss is vulnerable, but the triggering is all wonky. Sometimes I get the "brain destroyed!" message immediately after destroying it, other times I have to make eyeline contact with the boss. Managed to restart the whole level, paying attention to the triggers... only for the boss to disappear from the arena entirely. Had to noclip over to a portion of the map where he was.

It also seems weird that The Gate starts out scaling the amount of enemies according to the difficulty level, but then by and large forgets to include this. For someone like me, who barely ekes out surviving on the lowest difficulty level (so many hitscan enemies.... those enforcers just make mincemeat out of me!), I eventually gave up and threw on dnkroz.

This post has been edited by Narcissus: 11 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Burning my way through Imagination World and having a blast (the music alone is utterly perfect). Especially with the bite sized levels, its perfect for sitting down with a beer and playing some quick 3d shooting action before going back to excel for work. :)

This is highly OCD of me, and is in the vein of my question about Last Reaction - but on the third episode there's a canyon level called welcome to garmid. In order to progress you have to fall down the cliff where there's the first bridge, and traverse up a path that will net you all three keys.

However, its easy to miss this and go exploring, thinking it best to check out the nearby cliffs. This is around the blue keycard elevator, but if you go down here there's no way out as far as I can tell. Is there some super secret tunnel or something, or am I just meant to restart the level?

I ended up throwing up God mode to give myself a jetpack to get out of there, not the best solution but still, a pretty dang great set of levels.

User is offline   Kathy 

Where can I download latest version of Oblivion? Links on http://www.zaxtor.ne.../Downloads.html aren't working.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Cathy: 28 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

don't know if these are the "latest"

http://msdn.duke4.net/oblivion.php

-or-

http://dukeworld.duk...nt/tc/oblivion/

This post has been edited by Forge: 28 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostNarcissus, on 07 December 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

Burning my way through Imagination World and having a blast (the music alone is utterly perfect). Especially with the bite sized levels, its perfect for sitting down with a beer and playing some quick 3d shooting action before going back to excel for work. :D

This is highly OCD of me, and is in the vein of my question about Last Reaction - but on the third episode there's a canyon level called welcome to garmid. In order to progress you have to fall down the cliff where there's the first bridge, and traverse up a path that will net you all three keys.

However, its easy to miss this and go exploring, thinking it best to check out the nearby cliffs. This is around the blue keycard elevator, but if you go down here there's no way out as far as I can tell. Is there some super secret tunnel or something, or am I just meant to restart the level?

I ended up throwing up God mode to give myself a jetpack to get out of there, not the best solution but still, a pretty dang great set of levels.

Glad you're enjoying IW :P I believe you can go back up the waterfall in that area (to where you grab the Yellow key) but I may of overlooked that since I always kept going the way you first described (which is a bad way to beta test a level I know :D)

• Honored Donor

I tried playing IW a month or two ago with the latest eduke32, however IIRC the saving didn't work for some reason, and it was constantly crashing, so I had no choice but to give up. Are you ever going to release an update for that? If you manage to fix those things, plus the black textures (probably due to the change in default r_shadescale), and the long load times (due to MD2 models being converted to MD3 at level load?) then it will be a fun and bug free experience. In the meantime, not so much Posted Image

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostThe Big Cheese, on 01 March 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

I tried playing IW a month or two ago with the latest eduke32, however IIRC the saving didn't work for some reason, and it was constantly crashing, so I had no choice but to give up. Are you ever going to release an update for that? If you manage to fix those things, plus the black textures (probably due to the change in default r_shadescale), and the long load times (due to MD2 models being converted to MD3 at level load?) then it will be a fun and bug free experience. In the meantime, not so much Posted Image

Well, don't play it with the latest Eduke32 then? :P seriously though, it would be a good idea but any periods of creativity I have now I pretty much need to focus on AMC TC Ep2 (I have a holiday next week so here's hoping I can do some work then) I was thinking more of pushing out a new patch for EP1 to lay out the groundwork for EP2 stuff and also updating Nuclear Showdown (that's a big maybe however)

• Honored Donor

Remember it never worked that fantastic with any of the included eduke32s in the first place Posted Image

It's probably indeed best to focus on AMC TC episode 2, plus the multiplayer patch whenever we finally get that working.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options