Duke4.net Forums: Blood source code release now a *real* possibility - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blood source code release now a *real* possibility  "thanks to Jace Hall, he wants your input"

User is offline   Avoozl 

I hope Hall at least considers making a simple port first with only basic enhancements like texture filtering, higher resolutions and perhaps a way to make the mipmapping less noticable.

This post has been edited by Grand Admiral Thrawn: 06 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Doesnt texture filtering require the addition of an openGL renderer? I doubt that's getting into the closed source version. A new renderer even to just fix the perspective would be a huge help.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostGrand Admiral Thrawn, on 06 August 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

I hope Hall at least considers making a simple port first with only basic enhancements like texture filtering, higher resolutions and perhaps a way to make the mipmapping less noticable.

People actually use that horrid shit?

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostMicky C, on 06 August 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

Doesnt texture filtering require the addition of an openGL renderer? I doubt that's getting into the closed source version. A new renderer even to just fix the perspective would be a huge help.

IMO Blood's perspective is better than the exagerrated perspective of most "true 3D" shooters.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Even if they put texture filtering in there you don't have to use it just like you don't have to use it in eduke32 people....

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

This is awesome. This, along with the recent official trailer of the new ROTT, have overfilled me with joy. I so cannot wait for this.

Edit: I didn't realize this was from August, but still, *Borat* "I so excite!"

EDIT: What is wrong with me? I keep forgetting that we're actually in the month of August. Sorry.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 07 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 06 August 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

"Crazy" mods would require an open source where you could add in functionality for modability. As it stands now, you can't really add anything new other than graphics, maps, or sounds. I don't think things can get 'crazy' until you have some sort of scripting language.

The Source can be closed and there's still room for mods so long as the tools are available. I seem to remember a little mod made for a game that had never had a full source code release. What was it? Oh yeah, Counter Strike.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Half-Life has massive modding capabilities whereas the things you can change in Blood are very limited and cannot surmount to any kind of proper modifications.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostBruno Mattei, on 09 August 2012 - 03:31 AM, said:

The Source can be closed and there's still room for mods so long as the tools are available. I seem to remember a little mod made for a game that had never had a full source code release. What was it? Oh yeah, Counter Strike.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 09 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

• Honored Donor

View PostBruno Mattei, on 09 August 2012 - 03:31 AM, said:

Posted Image

It wasn't until 2011 some guy from Russia realized that you can create new weapons, (but must remove old ones first) by using QAVEDIT, not many mods have used this, because it is not very easy to do. It is not very easy to do anything with Blood unless you're using MS-DOS 6.2 on a system from 1997. Even then, it was still hard to do. You have to replace things to add things. Counter Strike didn't release its source, but is very editible because that's how the game was made. Duke Nukem 3d was highly edtitible even without the source code files.

Comparing Blood with Counter Strike is not even logical, they're nothing alike. Comparing your face and your ass is though, because after all, what's the difference?

User is offline   Martin 

Getting a bit needlessly hostile aren't we, guys? So he was wrong, you don't have to be such belligerent cunts about it. I could make similarly unwarranted comments about yourselves, e.g. "You guys are probably so pent up and aggressive because you've never had sex".

Anyway, I've never played Blood. This development is interesting to me, since after hearing about the game and looking it up I thought it had a unique style to it. The voxel gravestones and stuff look really cool, as do the setting, weaponry and so on. Has a nice voodoo vibe to it. I especially like the lighter w/ aerosol can combo!

• Honored Donor

I wasn't getting hostile. If you think, "Comparing Blood with Counter Strike is not even logical, they're nothing alike. Comparing your face and your ass is though, because after all, what's the difference?" is hostile, then you must also think that Duke is hostile, and so you should then make similarly unwarranted comments about Duke. The animated image was because that's how my face would look if I was really offended. I told him about QAVEDIT and how it wasn't until recently someone discovered you could edit weapon behavior. I don't agree with you on any of that being hostile, and I don't consider myself a belligerent cunt either, maybe an asshole, but not a belligerent cunt.

Yes, Blood is a good game, you should really go for the one on GOG, and then do some research on the "Blood Launcher" tool.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostMartin, on 09 August 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Anyway, I've never played Blood.

;) http://www.gog.com/g...nit_whole_blood play it NOW!

View Postgerolf, on 09 August 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

Comparing your face and your ass is though, because after all, what's the difference?" is hostile, then you must also think that Duke is hostile, and so you should then make similarly unwarranted comments about Duke.

Duke is also fighting off things that are trying to kill him.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 09 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMartin, on 09 August 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Getting a bit needlessly hostile aren't we, guys? So he was wrong, you don't have to be such belligerent cunts about it. I could make similarly unwarranted comments about yourselves, e.g. "You guys are probably so pent up and aggressive because you've never had sex".

Belligerent cuntery is in my nature, and I'm pent up and aggressive primarily because I'm a poor piece of shit who just listens to Black Flag a little bit too much.

EDIT: Drunk poasts are awesome.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 10 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

User is offline   Green 

Dear Blood Community:

I just got an unusually short, one sentence e-mail from Atari, letting me know that given the current set of circumstances, they are choosing to decline to proceed.

Obviously, I am disappointed. Particularly given Atari's continued encouragement along with the amount of time, effort and correspondence that I have put into this venture.

The only thing that can be done at this point is to wait and see what happens with ATARI, and hope that they find themselves in a position and mindset to allow my efforts to continue on this matter at a future date.

Tears and Sadness,
Jace Hall

http://www.the-postm...3eb72b56#p49334

• Ancient Blood God

Sad times indeed.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I don't think anyone is legitimately surprised at this, but it sure is disappointing.

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostTerminX, on 14 February 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

I don't think anyone is legitimately surprised at this, but it sure is disappointing.

Well i'm surprised. This outcome is generally rare for classic games. :/

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 14 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

• Ancient Blood God

Just makes you wonder why would Atari even enter long negotiations just to say no after a few months.

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 15 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

In case it wasn't clear from Hall's post, http://chapter11case...parent-company/

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 14 February 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

Well i'm surprised. This outcome is generally rare for classic games. :/

This is not the case for Blood. No surprises here, and I'm actually glad it wasn't given to Jace. I think we dodged a clusterfuck there.

User is offline   Malgon 

^Why's that?

User is offline   Kathy 

Because he wouldn't release it anyway and control everything regarding it. Not really a good thing.

• Ancient Blood God

It would still be better than nothing imo.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Sounds more like the same old bullshit to me. :P

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

http://www.filedropp...m/bloodsource_1

Is this the source code we're looking for?

I don't know much about Blood, except that it's great fun.

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 19 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

User is offline   supergoofy 

thanks 486DX2

download mirror (if this is really the source - maybe an alpha version):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/axn2sh

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 19 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I got it from a private FTP server that will remain anonymous.

Don't worry, I combed it for other stuff...this was the diamond in the rough.

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 19 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It's just the alpha source fragment we already have, nothing special.

Thanks for looking out for it in your search.

Now that Atari's assets are going to auction just recently. Hopefully Jace Hall will negotiate w/ Atari again to buy back Blood and bring the IP into friendly territory.

http://www.gamasutra..._to_auction.php

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options