Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Wiki revitalization - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Wiki revitalization

So I spent the last week or so getting the Duke Nukem Wiki up to par by adds lots of Duke Nukem Forever info. It’s DNF coverage was dismal so I fixed it up and gave all of the new stuff its own page instead of all being cluttered on one nasty-looking list page. The list pages are still there because they're useful. Hopefully this will encourage people to actually edit pages on the wiki. Oh yeah, the DNF pages have screenshots from the old 1997 mock-up shots/1998 trailer/1999 screenshots/2001 trailer showing how something looked back then if the subject of the page was in one of them.

I want to announce it now so that people will know about it before DNF and the demo come and maybe they will update it with new info when DNF comes out. I don't think anybody is going to care about a wiki if I announce it after DNF comes out.

I also added shitloads of info from LameDuke BECAUSE I CAN. Also I added pages for scrapped DN3D things like the Flamethrower, Sonic Resonator and the Snake Head enemy so that people don’t have to look through obscure forum threads here to learn about them, which is cool.

http://dukenukem.wik...late:DNF-navbox –Duke Nukem Forever table of contents thingy

http://dukenukem.wik...plate:LD-navbox – LameDuke table of contents

http://dukenukem.wik...ate:DN3D-navbox – new and improved Duke Nukem 3D table of contents with things that were cut from the final game!!! WOW

Some of the pictures in the LameDuke sidebars look like shit but that’s because there’s some lame code in it that automatically resizes images. It looks good for screenshots but makes sprites look like ass.

I worked on some neato “portal” pages for each of the main Duke Nukem games in order to easily link to content from the front page. Wikia has some bullshit about them so they look like ass right now. I’m trying to get them working before DNF comes out, but the support guy sucks ass and says some PR crap when I try to press him on making portals work on the wiki. You can check them out here but they still need to be worked on. I will probably put them up before DNF comes out just so I can have them, even if Wikia staff are being idiots about activating them.

I did some misc technical changes that most people don’t care about BUT I DID THEM ANYWAYS.

Cool stuff that still needs to be done:

*Split the Duke Nukem 1 and 2 pages so that each subject (like the soda cans) have their own page. It looks nicer and gives the wiki more content.

*Improving the DN64 stuff. It looks kinda shit right now and if anyone has damage variables and the like for the DN64 weapons that would be great.

*Take stuff from the pre-release screenshots like the flamethrower and Enforcer and different-looking Pigcop and add them to the wiki.

*Add stuff from the final version of DNF when it comes out.

Hopefully this will actually inspire people to edit the wiki this time and make it THE HUB OF DUKE NUKEM INFO (probably not but at least it doesn’t look like ass anymore).

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

They're happy that I updated the wiki. Shouldn't you?

User is offline   Fox Mulder 

Awesome work. :angry:

BTW, who are they?

View PostFox Mulder, on 02 June 2011 - 12:43 AM, said:

Awesome work. :blink:

BTW, who are they?

It's fanart of characters from a really popular webcomic called Homestuck. The character in my avatar is also from there.

Thanks. :angry:

User is offline   E.C.S 

Excellent job, rep for you. Also: Homestuck YAY! :angry:

User is offline   Engel220 

Glad someone's been taking the time, that'll be a great place to go when it's finished. I made a few small anonymous edits (Just correcting spelling mistakes really, I'm a very slight Grammar Nazi), and come release day there should be lots to add haha.

User is offline   Loke 

I made edits to it years ago but left it due to inactivity. Glad to see that it seems to go strong now.

User is offline   LkMax 

Cool stuff.
Also, looking at lameduke page give some ideas for mod making... :angry:

User is offline   Nacho 

I'm going to get back into this again, as it has been suggested for me to do so in the past. I've been given permission in the past to post unreleased stuff and I'll continue to seek that stuff out to bring it forward to the Duke Community but first the wiki needs a makeover which is something I started working on a day or so ago with the thread starter.

Anyways, you can locate me here: http://steamcommunit...groups/DukeWiki

I'll be on the steam chat at all times I'm on my computer, found it to be the most accessible. Hope that some of you will pop in the steam chat, even if just to say, "hi". You can ask me anything you feel the need to and I'll be glad to help out.

Also, if anyone happens to have old magazine scans that are Duke related please give me a shout. Thanks in advance.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I have been made an Admin on the Wiki and have given it a huge overhaul and made it more visually appealing, I've also added a lot more info to the wiki and fixed a lot of pages.

http://dukenukem.wik...Duke_Nukem_Wiki

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Light grey text over light yellow looks great.

I think the old design looked better and fit fine.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 21 May 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

Light grey text over light yellow looks great.

I think the old design looked better and fit fine.

Yeah I agree. Not to be a judgmental Jinny, but I can't even read that news section.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostJinroh, on 22 May 2012 - 05:52 AM, said:

Yeah I agree. Not to be a judgmental Jinny, but I can't even read that news section.

That's been fixed now.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostRory, on 23 May 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

Can I just say, I think the design of the wiki is very good. Eye catching.

I agree. ^^ It looks slick and bold without looking too overly cluttered. ^^ Now that I can read the news it looks pretty grand. Nice job on the redesign Wesker. Gives it a lot of Duke's character. ^^

User is offline   nukemania 

Honestly, wikia is intolerable and no amount of changes to the Duke Nukem info content will change that.

User is offline   Lunick 

Now that I think of this, someone should update the Total Meltdown section of the wiki with some sprites from http://forums.duke4....-and-tiles-rips

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options