Duke4.net Forums: Just got new computer and windows 7. Need help - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just got new computer and windows 7. Need help

Just got new comp. Took my DN3D folder off of Xp, and dropped it in my new windows 7 computer. It plays, but in 8 bit I get weird pixelated colors like a bad cartoon, and terrible sound distortion.

I take it I will have to install the neweset Eduke 32 and HRP (mine were real old). Question: How do I install them correctly? I think I have to insall the DN3D disc first right? THen I have to install the HRP first or Eduke first?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

This is pathetic. You can do better than this.

User is offline   Paul B 

first off not sure why you're getting the bad rep. You have a valid question. Personally I drag my Eduke folder to and from computers all the time with no difficulty. Even from XP to 7 -64 bit. I'm not sure what the problem is. What type of Video card do you have in your new computer?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The reason Blue Lightning is getting downvotes is he shouldn't be asking newb questions like this. He's basically saying "I didn't bother to even try installing the game correctly, nor am I willing to even look up how to do it, even though the information is readily available." Maybe he's having a valid issue with the weird coloration, but I can't care to help someone who can't even figure out how to find an installation guide for something that is very simple. (Did I mention that this information is readily available? It took me three minutes to find it, and I didn't even know whether it existed or not.) His visual glitch isn't worth looking into until he can manage to install the game properly. I'd be a lot more lenient on an actual noob, but BL is no noob, he just acts like one.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 03 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 03 May 2012 - 07:09 AM, said:

but BL is no noob, he just acts like one.

Captain Awesome you're hilarious. Anyway I did check that wiki article and noticed it was missing a bunch of stuff that might have contributed towards solving his video mystery. Like I mentioned in my previous post. Using just Eduke and Duke Nukem it is windows independent. It doesn't require an installer to install and run the game as I move Eduke all the time from PC to PC without any issues. So... obviously if he copies the entire Eduke directory and can't load it on another PC i would suspect there to be an incompatibility problem or a problem with a mod in the root of the game folder and since I don't run any mods except for the High Resolution Pack I don't have these type of problems.

By the way stay tuned for the re-release release release of Parkade.map I am working on version 1001 at the moment. =P

It makes me wonder when Helixhorned evaluates a map does he look at the map in the game to appreciate it or does he admire it at the binary level?

This post has been edited by Paul B: 03 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

View PostPaul B, on 03 May 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

Captain Awesome you're hilarious. Anyway I did check that wiki article and noticed it was missing a bunch of stuff that might have contributed towards solving his video mystery. Like I mentioned in my previous post. Using just Eduke and Duke Nukem it is windows independent. It doesn't require an installer to install and run the game as I move Eduke all the time from PC to PC without any issues. So... obviously if he copies the entire Eduke directory and can't load it on another PC i would suspect there to be an incompatibility problem or a problem with a mod in the root of the game folder and since I don't run any mods except for the High Resolution Pack I don't have these type of problems.

By the way stay tuned for the re-release release release of Parkade.map I am working on version 1001 at the moment. =P

It makes me wonder when Helixhorned evaluates a map does he look at the map in the game to appreciate it or does he admire it at the binary level?

Thing is Paul that some people think they are God just because they can do a little code writing. A guy like me who is an avid player and enjoys the game will get flamed for just about anything, short of complete praise for a particular mod, since I am not a programmer. In other words, I dont belong to their "cool club". I have always had to put up with the petty ass crap, ever since I joined at 3D Realms, years ago. Frankly, I could give a good damn about down votes. To me rep is a joke. Actually Im proud...I am gunning for a -100 rep!

I have a good standing with my Clan at Darkest Hour and we put up some damn good servers, always full. I am in good standing with Steam, 5 stars and no bans, 2k Forums the same, and Planet Phillip where I review Half Life 2 mods. Only here do I get trouble.

That said, yes I agree with you, I thought my question was fair. The thing is, the whole thing with Eduke and HRP is confusing. Yes, there are instructions. but some stuff is left out. Example, I have Windows 7, but it is Win 64, 6 core AMD and Im not sure that is supported by Eduke. It didnt occur to me to google "which do I install first", mabye because I had a lot on my mind setting this new comp up, and just wanted an quick answer on these forums...not a lot to ask. Or mabye it was.

- Dont get me wrong, there are some good guys around here. Some have been very respectful.

View PostPaul B, on 02 May 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

first off not sure why you're getting the bad rep. You have a valid question. Personally I drag my Eduke folder to and from computers all the time with no difficulty. Even from XP to 7 -64 bit. I'm not sure what the problem is. What type of Video card do you have in your new computer?

I got a Nvidia GTX 550 Ti, 1 GB, GDDR5. A decent middle of the raod card, but more than enough for any of my games...and I installed all the new drivers. I installed DN3D game from disc, and tomorrow Ill grab my CC and purchase the Eduke and install it. We will see how it does <_<

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 03 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostBlue Lightning, on 03 May 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

That said, yes I agree with you, I thought my question was fair. The thing is, the whole thing with Eduke and HRP is confusing. Yes, there are instructions. but some stuff is left out. Example, I have Windows 7, but it is Win 64, 6 core AMD and Im not sure that is supported by Eduke. It didnt occur to me to google "which do I install first", mabye because I had a lot on my mind setting this new comp up, and just wanted an quick answer on these forums...not a lot to ask. Or mabye it was.

Captain Awesome gave the link answering your question. The Red was overkill, but also irrelevant.
here is the link,
http://wiki.eduke32....d_configuration

Now link from the top bar of this very forums
EDUKE32.COM a quote, so you know why I gave the link

EDuke32 is an awesome, free homebrew game engine and source port of the classic PC first person shooter Duke Nukem 3D— Duke3D for short—to Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, several handhelds, your family toaster, and to your girlfriend's vibrator. We've added thousands of cool and useful features and upgrades for regular players and additional editing capabilities and scripting extensions for homebrew developers and mod creators. EDuke32 is completely free, open source software.

EDuke32 is work in progress, so expect the unexpected Posted Image

@ Paul B - what info is missing? Why not get the go ahead from the admin and write out the video section? Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 03 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostHank, on 03 May 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

Why not get the go ahead from the admin and write out the video section? Posted Image

Oh Hank I think I've done enough damage on these forms I don't think you want me anywhere near the video section of your wiki! hehe =)

Blue Lightning - Were you able to get it going? That's a great video card now you'll be able to play the Parkade.map with all the features enabled. You can find the latest release of Parkade.map here: http://forums.duke4....&attach_id=4919

Feel free to drop some feedback off too =)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 06 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostPaul B, on 04 May 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

Oh Hank I think I've done enough damage on these forms I don't think you want me anywhere near the video section of your wiki! hehe =)

The wiki has nothing to do with this or any other forum. Unless you are banned or have -9999 rep points. Even if, it is not up to me or anyone else to decide who contributes what, except those that run and admin the wiki! Posted Image

http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Main_Page direct quote

Please remember that EDukeWiki is a community project. It relies on content contributed by users such as yourself in order to stay alive and continue to be useful. It is the responsibility of users like you to not only make sure that the documentation here is both accurate and relevant to current version of EDuke32, but to also help reverse any vandalism you see. Thank you for your contributions and for helping to keep our wiki friendly and clean of vandalism and spam!
This wiki is supported by Plagman's ongoing donation of server hosting, by our sponsored links, and by purchases of games from gog.com by accounts registered through our banners.

View PostPaul B, on 04 May 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

Blue Lightning - Were you able to get it going? That's a great video card now you'll be able to play the Parkade.map with all the features enabled. You can find the latest release of Parkade.map here: http://forums.duke4....&attach_id=4899

Feel free to drop some feedback off too =)

Yeah I look forward to a lot of maps I couldnt play before <_< Your right the card is good, but in a way a little too good for some games. Yesterday playing Bioshock when I finished a level, the load screen with the epic ambient humming sounds naming the next level...it doesnt last 3 minutes like it used to. Now it loads in like 10 seconds (if that). Not enough time to run to the bathroom!

Today I had to go out of town, just got back. So no I didnt get the Eduke. In the morning I will do this. I also look forward to playing with the poloymar or whatever. This setup I have should be able to run all that. Also I got 10 gigs of system ram :huh:

A strong 6 core CPU means I can now run maps in 8 bit without a frame rate dropoff in demanding areas (I hope). Like the central part of Cherenkov Station with the big skyroof, my frames dropped to a few per second in 8 bit mode with my old system. Sorry if I jumped on Captain Awesome a little hard, I had 4 beers when I posted last night. ;)

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 04 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostPaul B, on 03 May 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

Thank you. There could be all kinds of issues just because the end user has some bullshit torrent package install, using an old version of EDuke32 (which is most likely the case here), doesn't know what they're doing (also the case here), or is using a configuration file that causes issue without updating the options. It could be a whole slew of things, but you can rule out a lot of stuff by just reinstalling everything from scratch.

Thing is Paul that some people think they are God just because they can do a little code writing. A guy like me who is an avid player and enjoys the game will get flamed for just about anything, short of complete praise for a particular mod, since I am not a programmer. In other words, I dont belong to their "cool club". I have always had to put up with the petty ass crap, ever since I joined at 3D Realms, years ago. Frankly, I could give a good damn about down votes. To me rep is a joke. Actually Im proud...I am gunning for a -100 rep!

I have a good standing with my Clan at Darkest Hour and we put up some damn good servers, always full. I am in good standing with Steam, 5 stars and no bans, 2k Forums the same, and Planet Phillip where I review Half Life 2 mods. Only here do I get trouble.

I'm not flaming here, I'm being serious. You have to be one of the biggest idiots I have ever encountered on the internet, and that is a feat. You never stopped to think that you get shit because you constantly post stupid shit (like giving a game a x/10 rating by watching a trailer? Don't think I've forgotten your past dumbassery.) and act like an idiot? Of course you don't stop and think maybe you're being an idiot, because you are an idiot. Idiots are always blissfully unaware of how stupid they are, and always think it's someone else's problem. You try to act like you're in 'good standing' with Steam, Darkest Hour, 2k Forums, and whatever else, ignoring the fact that those are dens of dumbasses and don't really mean jack shit if you're in good standing. You lack the ability to critically think. Why in the flying fuck would you install the HRP before EDuke32? Do you put your shoes on before you put on your socks, or are you really that clueless? You are the Glenn Beck of the Duke Community. All you do is spout bullshit claims and play the idiot, yet when someone calls your shit and tells you different, you completely ignore reality and facts. How many times have I told you I'm not a programmer? How many times have I told you have NEVER contributed a piece of code to EDuke32?

I got a Nvidia GTX 550 Ti, 1 GB, GDDR5. A decent middle of the raod card, but more than enough for any of my games...and I installed all the new drivers. I installed DN3D game from disc, and tomorrow Ill grab my CC and purchase the Eduke and install it. We will see how it does <_<

View PostBlue Lightning, on 04 May 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

Today I had to go out of town, just got back. So no I didnt get the Eduke. In the morning I will do this. I also look forward to playing with the poloymar or whatever. This setup I have should be able to run all that. Also I got 10 gigs of system ram :huh:

A strong 6 core CPU means I can now run maps in 8 bit without a frame rate dropoff in demanding areas (I hope). Like the central part of Cherenkov Station with the big skyroof, my frames dropped to a few per second in 8 bit mode with my old system. Sorry if I jumped on Captain Awesome a little hard, I had 4 beers when I posted last night. ;)

And this is where I cease to give a shit whether a mod thinks I'm flaming or not, because you are either really stupid or a really bad troll. In either case, fuck you. EDuke32 is a free program. You don't pay for it. No where on EDuke32's website does it even hint that you have to pay for EDuke32. There is a button to donate to the developers, and there is a bit where you can buy Duke Nukem 3D from GOG. If you mistook either of them as "Oh I have to pay for this." you deserve to drown."Poloymar?" You jumped on me because you had FOUR beers? Surely you're twelve years old!!

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 04 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

Okay obviously theres a history here that I dont' know about and I am not getting involved with this. Just a note to self: "never piss off Captain Awesome" =)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 04 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I love you, Paul. You're safe, because you're a good poster. <_<

User is offline   Hank 

View PostPaul B, on 04 May 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

Okay obviously theres a history here that I dont' know about and I am not getting involved with this. Just a note to self: "never piss off Captain Awesome" =)

Why not? Guy 1 wants to talk about his new comp, guy 2 doesn't. This thread is funny. Worthy for Post Hell, we should have this here Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 04 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 04 May 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

And this is where I cease to give a shit whether a mod thinks I'm flaming or not, because you are either really stupid or a really bad troll. In either case, fuck you. EDuke32 is a free program. You don't pay for it. No where on EDuke32's website does it even hint that you have to pay for EDuke32. There is a button to donate to the developers, and there is a bit where you can buy Duke Nukem 3D from GOG. If you mistook either of them as "Oh I have to pay for this." you deserve to drown."Poloymar?" You jumped on me because you had FOUR beers? Surely you're twelve years old!!

So I try to calm the situation and say something nice, and you come back at me with this horseshit? You got to be kidding. What a god damn baby. Piece of garbage.
Tell you what, dont you ever talk to me, or post about me again.

View PostPaul B, on 04 May 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

No history at all. I dont know the guy from Adam. Just a troll I guess.

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 05 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

I'd say this thread is on the brink of being locked. Sheesh.

edit: Blue Lightning, if you want help, some screenshots would be a start. I can't imagine what you mean by "pixelated colors". Same for sound distortion, being a bit more specific would help.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You don't know me, but I know you. I posted on 3DR Forums before you ever even registered. I know your bullshit, and I will snuff it out.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostHelixhorned, on 05 May 2012 - 07:08 AM, said:

And in 3... 2... 1....

View PostHelixhorned, on 05 May 2012 - 07:08 AM, said:

edit: Blue Lightning, if you want help, some screenshots would be a start. I can't imagine what you mean by "pixelated colors". Same for sound distortion, being a bit more specific would help.

Well, I installed Duke 3D from my CD Rom disc. I dowloaded the latest Eduke32 and opend it up, and transferred the files into my DN3D folder. I hit the blue Eduke32 button, I get a message that DN3D could not be found? I guess it is because Duke 3D atmoic needs to be set up.

So, I try running Duke 3D Atomic setup, and I get an error saying:

"the verision of this file is not compatible with the version of windows youre running. Check your computers system information to see whether you need an x86 (32 bit) or x64 (64 bit) version of the program,

Obviously since I have windows 64, I am having trouble (I knew this would happen, which is why I posted this thread).

My idea is I could download the entire DN3D with the old Eduke and HRP off of my flashdrive saved from my Xp. It will run...like shit, but it will at least run the game. My idea is that I could then install the new Eduke to that folder. Yeah, the folder will have both the old and new Edukes in it which is a lot of clutter, but at least that might work? Unless someone knows a way to cleanly install the program....

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 06 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

User is offline   Hank 

@ Blue Lightinghttp://wiki.eduke32....d_configuration

This is the third time that link is posted on this here thread. I guess we should have suggested to actually click on it and read it? Well, let me do it now, pretty please, click on the link and read the page that should describe how to install EDuke32 and Duke 3D Atomic on any modern computer.

This post has been edited by Hank: 06 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

You only need to copy the DUKE3D.GRP file from the atominst/ directory of your Duke Atomic CD into the Duke directory on disk. Running the installation program is unnecessary and fails for you because it's a 16-bit application, which Windows 64-bit can't run natively.

View PostHelixhorned, on 06 May 2012 - 08:29 AM, said:

You only need to copy the DUKE3D.GRP file from the atominst/ directory of your Duke Atomic CD into the Duke directory on disk. Running the installation program is unnecessary and fails for you because it's a 16-bit application, which Windows 64-bit can't run natively.

Ok, I found the RTS file, but I cannot find the .GRP file. It is not in the atomist folder.
EDIT: Ok, I found the GRP file. It is simply called "Duke3D" and doesnt say .GRP unless I open it.

EDIT: Yep, simple stuff. Just grab the .GRP and RTF files, drop em in an empty new folder, and then put Eduke 32 in that same folder. Done. I was thinking in the old ways of Xp

Impressive Eduke. I see how they fixed the vertical distance parmaters, nice. Lot of nice extras as well. Eduke team is aces. Next comes the HRP <_< Cant wait. Thanks to everyone who helped.

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 06 May 2012 - 12:31 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostBlue Lightning, on 06 May 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

EDIT: Ok, I found the GRP file. It is simply called "Duke3D" and doesnt say .GRP unless I open it.

That would be because you do not have file extension turned on... so its listed as a "Microsoft Program Group"
Best advice is to turn file extension on and I am guessing because you had a hard time trying to work out how to install eduke32 that turning on file extension will be even more confusing for you so here is the link on how to do it.

http://windows.micro...name-extensions

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 05 May 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

You don't know me, but I know you. I posted on 3DR Forums before you ever even registered. I know your bullshit, and I will snuff it out.

<_< :huh: ;)

This post has been edited by Cody: 06 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostCody, on 06 May 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

That would be because you do not have file extension turned on... so its listed as a "Microsoft Program Group"

I added this information to http://wiki.eduke32....d_configuration so it may help others in the future.

Maybe we should bundle EDuke32 with an edit of JonoF's data installer.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 06 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

View PostHendricks266, on 06 May 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

I added this information to http://wiki.eduke32....d_configuration so it may help others in the future.

Maybe we should bundle EDuke32 with an edit of JonoF's data installer.

Yeah what happens is in the atomist folder the file is simply Duke3D (because file extention is not turned on as Cody points out). When I try to open it I get message saying I am trying to open a .GRP file. That's when I knew it was the right file.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I use W7 too and never had this problem.
Only problem I used to have was the flashing and freezes Duke and mapster sometimes.
I fixed it by doing this. It fixed in 8bit and 32bit mode.

In properties.
Compatibility

disable visual themes
disable desktop composition

After that it no longer flashes and or freezes anymore.

Dunno if this can fix your pixelated problem,

My Win7 is home premium.

Post pictures of your error and tell version of your Windows 7.

PS.
Video card could be a factor too I think.

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 11 May 2012 - 03:07 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options