Duke4.net Forums: The Unfinished Content Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Unfinished Content Thread  "post you stuff from the closet!"

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Well, as the title says, post everything here that would otherwise collect dust on you hard disk. If there's enough interest, this might even be turned into a CBP of sorts...

I'll start by posting a map of mine that dates back to November 2005 (maybe earlier, this is only the earliest date found). Called "kickass" for lack of a better name, you start out in your Dukecar with, alas, alien bastards having shot it up, once again. Get into the vehicle's escape pod and emerge in the city.

Posted Image

Edit 20150218: updated URL.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Mia Max 

Cool idea.

So here is my dust.
I don't have any more dust, because usually I delete it.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.jpg

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  wasd.zip (11.31K)
    Number of downloads: 341

Ok, here is what I can find for the time being, but I know I still have the first maps I ever made somewhere - those weren't completed and I plan on raking them out.

Attached Image: duke0028.jpg Attached Image: capt0010.jpgAttached Image: capt0009.jpg
1. Crash was the earlier version of EDF Computer Base, there's nothing but a bland computer room, but the explosion sequence is sort-of there.
2. SDrain was something I did for a guy on the forum ages ago, it was possible that more would be added based on his drawings, several mappers made the same thing, this one relies on Polymer.
3. City was meant to be a city, obviously this didn't happen, again, it needs Polymer.

Get them here; Attached File  crapmaps.zip (12.91K)
Number of downloads: 323

User is offline   Hank 

So here then; Hank's Stuff. The images below show alternate ways to make a lighting effect with sprites and a little help from The Gimp, or it's brother PhotoShop. But the base is very much 'borrowed' from other TCs and Games. So no point to issue for the looks only. Still, if you have Duke 3D ver. 1.3 and use JonoF port, you can actually play this . Posted Image Meanwhile, I'm working on cons and sounds, and will issue my maps as they were intended to play. So the file is say, a defunct beta.

Attached Image: capt0000.jpg Attached Image: capt0001.jpg Attached Image: capt0002.jpg

This post has been edited by Hank: 11 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I always appreciate someone who has the audacity to use DooM textures in the Duke Nukem 3D engine. I think that route of mapping has been very underutilized, unfairly so in my opinion.

I have a ton of maps on my hard disk that I never released; and rightly so, in my opinion. Most of them are absolute garbage.

This post has been edited by The Mighty Bison: 11 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

Yesterday i gave a look to Helixhorned´s and Miamax´s maps. Miamax´s map is just a nice construction and i like it but Helix map begins as kick ass map! :D Well it is actually very good I was fully inmersed in it until i went outside and there was that empty street... it is worth finishing! I want to know how it ends :D

User is offline   Arwu 

Yeah. . When I started Helixhorned map then I was shocked :D
wow very nice city view from ship. . :D great work

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Yeah, the crash-down sequence is cool, but it seems like you had just this one idea and tried to build a map around it. No wonder that the map basically ends once you get out of the ship.

I have an unfinished map called "a_surrealism".
This map is pretty stupid and it was just more "advanced" version of "Rehto Noisnemid" from Bad Weekend. I started worknig on it after releasing "Canyon",but after a really short period of time I realized that the idea of developing such a stupid dimension is pretty lame so I quited it. :D
Posted Image

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Mister Sinister: 12 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Reminds me of a particular Counter-Strike custom map.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

I'd play it. (Reminds me of CyberDuke which was a nice variation to the usual stuff.)

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMister Sinister, on 12 February 2012 - 09:27 AM, said:

I have an unfinished map called "a_surrealism".
This map is pretty stupid and it was just more "advanced" version of "Rehto Noisnemid" from Bad Weekend. I started worknig on it after releasing "Canyon",but after a really short period of time I realized that the idea of developing such a stupid dimension is pretty lame so I quited it. :D

I don't think it's a stupid idea. I like it. Why? Glad you asked! I like to play games, not real life. I like to escape for a few hours to refresh for reality. I think reality belongs to real life and abstract fantasy to games.

User is offline   Mark 

deleted the download link, please see the updated version on page 2 of this thread

DOOM2remake

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke1.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke2.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 01 September 2014 - 08:57 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

A modern style city map by Steambull and I, with a few rooms by MRCK and Mikko Sandt.

Started YEARS ago. 1270 sectors, 9500 walls. Considering the plans we had for it, it's barely even half way finished.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

A classic style city map by myself.
Started years ago. 600 sectors, 4500 walls. 80% finished

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also have a couple of unfinished deathmatch maps but not on this computer apparently.

Don't expect any of them to be ever finished unless someone else wanna have a go with them.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 13 February 2012 - 07:38 AM

Methy... That is really good!!!

User is offline   Arwu 

There is my first map that I mapped before ArenaQ, which is my first finished map.
Duke Facility is finished about 30% now but I stop working... Look at screenshoot to know about teleporter to outside area

Can somebody tell me it is normal that mirrors do not show any actors if TROR is used somewhere on map?? (working with polymost renderer).
Posted Image

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostGambini, on 12 February 2012 - 07:41 AM, said:

Yesterday i gave a look to Helixhorned´s and Miamax´s maps. Miamax´s map is just a nice construction and i like it but Helix map begins as kick ass map! :D Well it is actually very good I was fully inmersed in it until i went outside and there was that empty street... it is worth finishing! I want to know how it ends :D

As encouraging as your comments are, I wouldn't have posted it if there was more that a very slim chance of me finishing it.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 12 February 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

Yeah, the crash-down sequence is cool, but it seems like you had just this one idea and tried to build a map around it. No wonder that the map basically ends once you get out of the ship.

Nah, I had big plans for it in my head: you were supposed to wander around the whole city you've crashed in. But plans are one thing...

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

There's that unfinished map I released some time ago.

And of course Sunstroke:
Attached Image: capt0003.jpg

Sorry for spam with too much shots, but there's some worth showing:

Some city maps made in 2009 and 2010
Spoiler

A research facility map called "Biotech" made in 2009 I think

Spoiler

"From planet to planet" 2009?

Spoiler

A big map made for dukeplus skycar 2009?

Spoiler

Another map made for polymer dukeplus and HRP back in the days when TROR didn't exist lol made in 2011

Spoiler

Other shots:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Norvak: 13 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

A couple of years ago I edited my old QContMS map with Polymer lights, never finished it and probably never will:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

Mikko I think it looked better with sector shading anyway.

More shit that's NEVER going to be finished :

First serious map I ever started back in 2004-2005 maybe when I joined AMC. Single player in a "dark forest/lake" environement was the plan.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Single player inspired by the mansion of Resident Evil was the plan. Started years ago as well, at first it was meant for a CBP started on AMC but even a CBP part I couldn't finish.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Action heavy single player map inspired by map 7 of Doom 2

Posted Image

Deathmatch map which was supposed to have the similar area twice in sector over sector that navitage through with several entrances/exits. Kinda like in Ducts by Geoffrey

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I thought I had all my unreleased crap bundled into that Let's Rork Tror tech demo then I remembered this thing. It's something I was messing about with before working on Parkade with Paul. As hard as I tried I couldn't figure out what direction to take with it, and I was starting to have one of those moments which I've had for at least three other projects where I've gone "hold on, I can do something better than this", and threw it into the discarded pile. It was the first time I started experimenting with detailed corridors. Most of it doesn't really have any details though.

Posted Image
Giant spinning fan shadows.
Posted Image
Posted Image

It's got maybe two minutes of gameplay (can't remember if you have to cheat to give yourself weapons but it has some enemies.

Edit: Well, I've also got this, which I've worked on since this picture was taken so it looks slightly better but I'll probably never work on that either. It's kind of fun to fly around (and below and above) in the Dukeplus skycar.
Posted Image

Here's the map pictured above in the first 3 shots if anyone's interested.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 18 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

@Methy: Wow man those are some awesome screenshots!

How is it possible you never ever got a map finished? Why don´t you follow Quakis´ example and send your unfinished projects to Mikko so he can make something playable out of them. Considering the results (Discharded Stronghold and Done and Dusted) I think the idea would work pretty well.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 18 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostGambini, on 18 February 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

How is it possible you never ever got a map finished? Why don´t you follow Quakis´ example and send your unfinished projects to Mikko so he can make something playable out of them. Considering the results (Discharded Stronghold and Done and Dusted) I think the idea would work pretty well.

Already done!

User is offline   Mark 

A lot of nice looking maps guys.

This thread got me thinking about why so many projects never get completed. In my case the problem is that with all the custom textures and models in my projects, I also want to have custom enemies, weapons and FX. But I don't have the animation and coding skills to do it so I end up throwing the whole thing to the side after the mapping is done. Its my " I want the best or nothing" goals that stop me along with having too ambitious expectations. I didn't start small and work my way up.

I either have to stop being too lazy to learn what I need, or ask for a project helper. But knowing how difficult the coding and model animations can be I am afraid to ask for help because I might never finish the project and would hate to waste someone else's time and effort. Especially since the few modelers I know of are busy people.

But on the bright side, this community has been a blast to hang with. Now I have to find that poll from a while back of the modders and their specialties and send out a few PM requests. :lol: After almost 3 years of mapping I would love to release at least one finished project before I get too arthritic to move a mouse. :P

This post has been edited by Marked: 18 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMarked, on 18 February 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

Its my " I want the best or nothing" goals that stop me along with having too ambitious expectations. I didn't start small and work my way up.

Looks like the George Trap to me. How about Your Best instead of The Best? I'm looking for modellers myself. No luck. So I cheat and borrow third party stuff. The plan then becomes work on fun maps. - Just butting in.

This post has been edited by Hank: 18 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Some of those unfinished map screenshots look really good. Would be cool if someone finished them.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostGambini, on 18 February 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

I already have 2 small single player maps which are finished (1 of which I consider really good), plus a third one that Mikko finished for me, which are all gonna be a soon to come episode.

I just got a small "accident" (a sprain on my right foot because I was doing stupid things when drunk) and I'll be stuck home for a week or 2 so perhaps I'll finish something else. I'm thinking of using that forest/lake and mansion from my previous post in a single map. (start in the forest, reach mansion). We'll see

User is online   zykov eddy 

I usually use unfinished stuff from my dead project in some other projects, so I don't have much of actual unfinished content right now.
Here's some interesting unfinished projects

1.Black & White World mod. I got highly inspired by Half Quake (A famous HL mod), so I decided to make a similiar thing for Duke. I only made four playable levels. Most of this stuff was later used in my later projects, such as opening for a.dream 2. The second level of this mod was used in IIT TC

The mod start with a car crash on the highway in the middle of the night. Duke enters a mine, and then he discovers a teleport to another dimension.
Posted Image

One of the levels actually offers a player a four ways to die. So, if you don't want to play this mod anymore, you can choose one of the four teleports and die a horrible death. First door leads to a tunnel where the player gets smashed by a train. The second leads to a sector filled with water. The third leads to switch, which kills the player, and the fourth drops the player from high hight.
In this mod Duke has a weird weapon called The Cube. It just shoots cubes and freezes the monsters (The Cube replaces the Freezer sprites)
Posted Image

The last map has a small spinning labyrinth
Posted Image
Posted Image

2.Link The Faces of Evil mod
My attempt to make a 2d sidescroller on Duke engine. I used a lot of sprites from Zelda CDi games.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

3.Altair mod 2.0. This mod is inspired by Doom weapon wads, with random spawning monsters and weapons. You can also choose characters, and it adds some civilians to the game, which randomly spawn on the levels

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 19 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

User is offline   Rebecca 

View PostMetHy, on 19 February 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

I already have 2 small single player maps which are finished (1 of which I consider really good), plus a third one that Mikko finished for me, which are all gonna be a soon to come episode.

I just got a small "accident" (a sprain on my right foot because I was doing stupid things when drunk) and I'll be stuck home for a week or 2 so perhaps I'll finish something else. I'm thinking of using that forest/lake and mansion from my previous post in a single map. (start in the forest, reach mansion). We'll see

Your unfinished work looks stunning and I highly recommend you do get these maps finished. I would love to try this out, especially the RE styled Mansion map.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options