Duke4.net Forums: Man of Valor: Hotel - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Man of Valor: Hotel  "Part 3"

Duke is at his favorite Hotel, when the Aliens attack, now prepare and fight back!

"I always said if there's a way to go it'd involve, women, wips and oil"

Attached File  Hotel.zip (12.46K)
Number of downloads: 253

User is offline   Arwu 

oh my... Slightly better than before, I see that You fixed graffiti on window.. just by moving a windows texture o.O ? but now windows are half in ground. There many misalligned textures over the map, firetruck sector should be moved one unit down (page down key) to hide white bar :D I liked babes in water but when I enter this room, babes rise from water (maybe in mapster better idea is to press C key on these babes? just try :D
Water sector is buggy as hell :D read again how to use submergible water :P You should take more time on creating this :P Missaligned textures look ugly

And as Cody said in post below, These doors are good but for parody :D

This post has been edited by Arwu: 05 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

http://infosuite.duke4.net/ READ IT DAMN IT!

And doors with DOOR KNOBS do not rise into the ceiling like Doom doors... (Also none of you doors make sounds)
The map is very inconsistent, the size of your hotel is like it was made for hobits, then other areas are made for someone 10 feet tall in places.

This post has been edited by Cody: 05 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostCody, on 05 February 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

http://infosuite.duke4.net/ READ IT DAMN IT!

And doors with DOOR KNOBS do not rise into the ceiling like Doom doors... (Also none of you doors make sounds)
The map is very inconsistent, the size of your hotel is like it was made for hobits, then other areas are made for someone 10 feet tall in places.

1. I can't make swinging doors, it doesn't work. 2. My sound thing won't work, I had to use the one from stadium for the talking. 3. The tall places, have you ever been in buildings? 4. The water, I did what it said and that's what I got. Sorry, but I was just paying attention to the detail, like you said, and not paying any to size... If you want me to make a good place, tell me what I need to pay attention to :D :D

If you can't make swining doors by following the guide, http://infosuite.duk...page=ae_doors_c
Then you should either
A. Keep trying till you get it to work.
B. Quit mapping now because if your maps are never going to have more than Doom doors and sounds it's going to be very boring.

And yes, I think I have and will have been in more buildings than you ever will in your life time considering what my job is.

tell me what I need to pay attention to

to EVERYTHING

User is offline   Arwu 

Never Forgotten, just play this map and in game press F7 just to look how these babes are oversized. . Ceilings in hotel should be all at the same height just as real live. Otherwise this hurt peoples eyes. . There still to many errors. . if You want , I will rework this map and upload it here with some small changes and You will see difference. . :D

This post has been edited by Arwu: 05 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostArwu, on 05 February 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

Never Forgotten, just play this map and in game press F7 just to look how these babes are oversized. . Ceilings in hotel should be all at the same height just as real live. Otherwise this hurt peoples eyes. . There still to many errors. . if You want , I will rework this map and upload it here with some small changes and You will see difference. . :D

I'll just quit, I guess all those people were right, I am nothing but a peice of shit, you won't be bothered by my work again.

~Duncan.

User is offline   Arwu 

Hey buddy. . Do not take me wrong. . I just want to show You a little on Your map because you designed it and know it best. . :D Im here to help as some teacher :D

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostNever Forgotten, on 05 February 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

I'll just quit, I guess all those people were right, I am nothing but a peice of shit, you won't be bothered by my work again.

~Duncan.

As you were told, we all began our mapping careers as noobs. My first map was no better than your first map (well, maybe a bit...). No one expects your first map to be of high quality. The hostile reaction of some people here was simply a response to your childish reaction to appropriate criticism. You were told that it usually takes months to build a good map and that it's better not to release your first map(s). And here you are, only a few days later with another map. You cannot expect us to shower you with compliments when your map has nothing worth complimenting.

Don't blame us for your early retirement. We initially gave much harder time to a Russian mapper Sanek because he didn't just come up with noobish maps but because he also copied parts from maps made by others and claimed them as his. But he persevered and his recent maps were actually pretty good.

Build Time : 1 hour or so a day since february 2nd

So you spent 4 hours on this map and expect it to be the best thing out there?

User is offline   Hank 

Posted Image Looks like deja vu for me.

My two cents - One can't help those that did not ask for it. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 05 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

User is offline   thatguy 

Based on the OP, he's overselling the map as if its done. Its a masterpiece!

EDIT: Anyways, I decided to undergo actually trying the game. So whats the goal of it? Seems quite pointless with the way you hyped it up in the main post. Like it was said before, the scale is pretty bad. This is something you must train your eye to understand, on top of understanding in-game units and how things are scaled from there.

The map itself isn't TERRIBLY bad. It seems like it could go places. Showing the hotel sign is a nice touch since its not an in your face addition. Very subtle and natural.

The doors, like it has already been said, needs to be set to swinging and not star trek sliding. Either learn it or give up on mapping. You can't just settle for something because you choose not to really try to learn. Its all trial and error.

The hallway. That thing is narrow. No hotel in the right mind would make a one-way hallway. There is not enough space for two lanes of motion.

The girls. So, every room has girls dancing, either stripping to no one, or just dancing on the bed. What sort of hotel is this? lol

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 05 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 05 February 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

Based on the OP, he's overselling the map as if its done. Its a masterpiece!

Or maybe you don't like abstract art? :D

User is offline   thatguy 

I like abstract art!!!! How dare you! :D jk

Anyways, I edited my last post with constructive critiquing.

With this map, I wasn't making it for the best, I was just showing I could do detail. I was bored and decided to start it. And as for the doors, I'm workin' on it. :D

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostNever Forgotten, on 05 February 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

With this map, I wasn't making it for the best, I was just showing I could do detail. I was bored and decided to start it. And as for the doors, I'm workin' on it. :D

The doors will take a while to learn, just take your time.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostNever Forgotten, on 05 February 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

~Duncan.

The fact is, we're not saying you're a bad mapper, just that you're not spending anywhere near enough time on it. If you want to try to improve your skills, perhaps start working on a map that you know you're not going to release, that way you can do anything you want to it. I've started several maps that I haven't released, and I'm 100% confident many others have done so as well.

On the other hand, I think what you need is beta testers. People who will look at your map before you release it, and tell you ways to improve it. I think beta testers will be able to teach you an awful lot and really help you improve if you're willing to listen.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 05 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

Duncan, don't give up. I see a lot of potential and you have a creative eye and you're also great at showcasing or getting people interested in playing your maps. Once you get comfortable with some of the advanced features of build you'll find it easier to detail your maps. This hotel map is definitely an improvement over what you have done in the past. I can see you are trying new things and testing out new features. I know the wall mask feature took me a while to figure out (breakable glass) and mirrors etc... The trick to making something look good is practice and by playing other people's maps and learning from other examples. Don't be afraid to experiment and through repetition you will get more comfortable with all these mapster features. There's a lot to learn at first don't get discouraged. Personally, I find the best maps to use for an example of how something works is the _ST.map and _SE.MAP that come with the original duke installer. I still reference back to these files all the time to figure out which effects I can use and how to use them.

We all get frustrated with mapping from time to time and its a matter of persevering! If you need help with making swinging doors, shoot me a message, i'd be more than happy to help you with that.

I think in your case instead of trying to build something so big. I would probably recommend starting off with a smaller project and take it one step at a time. Building something so big right off the bat almost becomes overwhelming. Also don't expect to make a perfect map in a day. No one can do that. If I were to edit your Hotel map to add detail it would take me 8 months of work. So try something smaller. Maybe make a small multi-player Duke death match level and pick a theme or setting. Like a ship yard with crates and a warehouse. Later on, you can add a crane, a dock and a ship. If the ocean scene is not your thing. You could always focus on modelling a map after a real bar or pub. You definitely know how to use the stripper sprites just fine! =)

What I would focus on right now is learning how to slope sectors and learn how to change the direction of the sloping floor and its angle. That will help when detailing stuff. The keys that do this are [ & ]
Alt + F when pressed on a wall will select that wall as the sloping angle to change the slope direction. Try using those keys in 3D mode and see what happens to your floor.
Good luck!
-Paul

This post has been edited by Paul B: 06 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

Dude this is much better than before. I don't mind one bit that you post your map every time you make an improvement. This time you held back on the amount of monsters, i need more monsters xD Seriously don't quit mapping. It's fun to watch the improvements.

User is offline   CruX 

Played through this right up to the point where I got to the glitched water. I decided to make some edits to the first room of this so you'll an idea of what looks good in a DN3D map. Don't take it the wrong way; I'm genuinely trying to help, not show you up or anything...

Posted Image
First thing I did was take the windows on each wall and drag them to where they would be positioned in the center. I also added drew a few extra sectors to make some "curtains". Note that I also re positioned the pane (ie, the transparent wall) to where it was in the center of the window's sector, rather than on the outside. Doing stuff like that helps add some depth to the architecture.

Posted Image
Next thing I focused on was the doorway that led into the following corridor. Arwu was a bit off when he said that the ceilings need to all be the same height; they don't. It looks a lot better if you bring doorways like this down by a few units so there's a clear distinction between the room and the hallway. Also, you might notice that I added a few extra sectors around the doorway to create a sort of "frame" for it. This is sometimes referred to as "trimwork" and it always makes a map look more interesting.

Posted Image
Posted Image
After that I decided to tackle the lighting fixtures and shading, or rather, the lack thereof. Pretty much every part of your map is at a shade value of 0 or lower, but there's no lights anywhere. I started by making one big sector that encompassed nearly the entire room, then started making smaller sectors within it. After all that was said and done, it wound up looking like this in 2D mode...
Posted Image
The small sector in the center of it all (where the white arrow is) is the light fixture itself. All the bigger sectors surrounding it are put at different shade values. This creates a nice, gradual change in the intensity of the light, which you can see in the first and second screens. After that, I darkened the walls at the very end so they'd match the floor, then I added that extra "door" in the back. It doesn't actually lead anywhere, but putting stuff like that in helps add immersion to the map.

Mind you, doing all this stuff was pretty easy (it certainly didn't take knowing any special keys or tricks in mapster) and IMO it made this room look way better. It's just my advice, take it or leave it, but this is how I'd go about doing it, and it's probably what a lot of the other guys that have critiqued your maps are looking for.

User is offline   Paul B 

It is so nice to see someone else willing to take the time to patiently explain how to add detail to a map without being rude or arrogant. Very nicely done, EmericaSkater! Will you be my Valentine HAHA!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 14 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

Yea, but how did you manage to put in 2 errors xD

User is offline   Arwu 

I tried to help this guy but he just ignore me. . Im thinking he willing to hear about mapping errors so I started to work on this map by change it a little. . These two errors are easily to repair and Never Forgotten made them. .

User is offline   CruX 

View PostPaul B, on 14 February 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

Will you be my Valentine HAHA!

Woah there, bud! At least buy me dinner first :lol:

View Postrasmus thorup, on 14 February 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

Yea, but how did you manage to put in 2 errors xD

Those were already there, actually. They're a product of the glitchy water sectors he has towards the end of the map. Like I said, the first room was the only thing I actually changed.

Ugh... guys I know it's been a while, maybe a bit late, but I'm sorry for the way I acted before... I wasn't very good at taking criticism... terrible at it. And now that I've gotten back on my account, I look back and realize it was all good information. I will take it into consideration for my next map whenever I make another one. Oh, and I still haven't mastered swinging doors ;).

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Good to see you're back ;)

Be patient and experiment a lot! try to use test maps for each effect you're struggling with, and then when you mastered it you can go back to your actual map and apply it.

View PostDavoX, on 05 December 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

Good to see you're back ;)

Be patient and experiment a lot! try to use test maps for each effect you're struggling with, and then when you mastered it you can go back to your actual map and apply it.

Thanks. The main two effects I'm struggling with are any door type other than doom style, and water... you all know how that turned out last time :3

EDIT: I have downloaded the newest mapster, and have successfully made a swinging door, and TROR.

This post has been edited by Never Forgotten: 20 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options