Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D 1.0 demo? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D 1.0 demo?

User is offline   nukemania 

I know about Lameduke, and I don't know if this is the same thing or not. I can't find info about it anywhere else.

I read that the spacesuit was originally implemented and works in a Duke Nukem 3D 1.0 demo leak. I read this on the Duke Nukem Wiki and the Cutton Room Floor.

Are LameDuke and Duke Nukem 3D 1.0 demo leaked the same thing or different?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

1.0 wasn't a leak, though 0.99 was. Neither are the same as LameDuke.

What's the 0.99 version about, in that case?

Also, what is the 1.0 version like, if any info at all?

This post has been edited by nukemania: 26 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Look out! It's a firetruck!

Nice!

This post has been edited by nukemania: 27 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

So, I'd like to know if this beta version 0.99 is supported by the latest EDuke32... or if not, how can I play it on Windows XP? I tried DOSBox, but it is crashing on it.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Seems to run fine under DOSBox for me, but as it is a beta copy, it's likely to crash a lot. SW Beta crashes for me rather frequently. Probably no chance of getting it to run under EDuke32.<br>

This post has been edited by The Mighty Bison: 27 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

What's your DOSBox version? And do you just run the Duke3D exe without setup?

• Glory To Motherland!

0.74. I usually run Setup first to make sure all of my settings are calibrated.

• Weaponized Autism

View Postnukemania, on 27 January 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

So, I'd like to know if this beta version 0.99 is supported by the latest EDuke32... or if not, how can I play it on Windows XP? I tried DOSBox, but it is crashing on it.

You would absolutely not want to do this to get the full experience of the prototype. Many of the differences compared to later versions of the game are not just in the art/sounds/maps but also in the executable itself, and you would be missing a large amount. Crashes included.

However, to investigate the maps in Mapster32 which may be interesting, simply pass the -g<grpname> parameter to the command line.

Why am I unable to run it? I keep getting an error about invalid or conflicting DMA channels, and to make sure the 16 bit DMA channel is correct.

• Glory To Motherland!

That's a sound card error. Make sure your sound settings are calibrated correctly. When you launch DOSBox, note the following line:

"Z:\>SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 T6"

...where I is IRQ, D is 8-bit DMA, and H is 16-bit DMA. When you open up SETUP.exe, select "Sound Blaster" for your sound FX card, and make sure you enter the appropriate numbers.

THANK YOU! :D

UPDATE: Here's a question: why is Duke Nukem turning almost 180 degrees when I jump (hit A)?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

My theory is that they initially wanted to copy Sonic's motion when he jumped on a spring in Sonic CD.

http://www.youtube.c...pGm6x7woI#t=18s

Actually, it seemed to be a problem with my DOSBox, but I fixed it :D

Anyway, does anyone know how to reach the Battlelord in this version? I'm stuck and there seems to be no way to proceed where I am; I got past the San Andreas Fault and reach the lava river, then climbed up some rocks (near that near-naked chick dancing in a secret). There doesn't seem to be a way to go.

• Weaponized Autism

I checked in Mapster32 and the level does have an ending although the boss area is very different. Perhaps you missed a switch somewhere.

Maybe, but I've been looking for so long now, and going back and forth through some of those backgrounds is giving me a migraine, TBH.
I'd really appreciate it if someone can try the level, too.

Ok, so I've done with E1 for a while now and have another question in mind.

A while back, I asked how people got to play with the Space Suit in the 0.99 beta. Supposedly, I have to play E2 in the beta, is this true? Because I tried replacing E1L1 of the beta with E2L1 of full version and, as expected, most resources are missing from the level. However, it is much worse than I expected. You can hardly see anything and all E2-based enemies are invisible to say the least. None of the doors/elevators work either.

If this is how broken it will be when using this method, how did people (especially of the Cutting Room Floor) get to do so many things like try the space suit, see the organic turret, etc? None of that stuff appears to work when I do the E1L1-replacement method.

• Glory To Motherland!

They probably added the code for space-style levels before they even considered putting in L2 resources.

• Weaponized Autism

^ That's not true at all. All three episodes of the original final game were developed simultaneously. (Yes, I know that there were months between the 1.0 shareware release and the first full release, v1.3D. I attribute this to E2 and E3 each being longer than E1 and needing more polish. As evidenced by the many screenshots released by 3DR over the year of 1995, many locations both seen in E2 and E3 as well as never seen in the final at all existed.) However, using some method, automated or manual, 3D Realms stripped out all the art and sounds that were not used by the shareware levels or weapons.

Once work gets in gear with Kraigose' art program I intend to add functionality that will allow us to "patch" what art exists for the shareware over the final v1.3D grp so we can optimally play E2 and E3 with the 0.99 executable. After that, "patching" the sounds is a very simple file copy operation, and we also need to add in art for the space suit ripped from said screenshots for the most complete experience possible.

Of course, there still remains the hope to find a "holy grail" of a prototype of the full version.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 31 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

I want this prototype to appear;
Posted Image

It seems to be halfway between LameDuke and V0.99

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

That's a lot closer to LameDuke than 0.99...

• Weaponized Autism

My favorite beta screenshots:

I forget how I found this one but I believe it was from TCRF. There were three jpeg-format screenshots, and of the three I have never seen a proper PCX version of only this one. (The uploader found them on an old website already in JPEG.) It is the only shot I know of showing the pre-Freezer Flamethrower IN ACTION. Also, pretty blue crystal. (Note: Either the flame thrower or "laser gun" is in v0.99. Quick tip: The registered weapons can be selected in the beta by using DNWEAPONS then running out of ammo of all other weapons.)
Posted Image

I don't recognize the health pack in the corner of this one.
Posted Image

Flamethrower Enforcer: (Interesting fact: the Enforcer arm gib still has the flamethrower instead of the chaingun.)
Posted Image

Space Suit!
Posted Image

Weirdass HUD, although this is after the shot High Treason showed because the Kills box has been replaced with Keys and Inventory. This looks like a cool area and I don't recognize it, and the shrinker has fullbrights as its lights on the edges.
Posted Image

cool city, Enforcer RPV
Posted Image

I really like this area and the skybox is cool.
Posted Image

Enforcer RPV, weird thing in the left HUD corner which is in some shots
Posted Image

A classic. This looks to be the same area as the screenshot above with the fullbright shrinker edges.
This shows both the Enforcer RPV and the old "fire"/"lava"/"molten (metal)" Enforcer.
Posted Image

User is offline   Hank 

The fifth and last is image looks like E2L8.
Whatever happened to the city?

User is offline   Lunick 

Thanks for the screenshots Hendricks, man I wish we could find that version of Duke somewhere.

• Weaponized Autism

These are many separate versions of Duke represented by all the screenshots that we have. You can see a progression, particularly with the HUD. Also, I only posted my favorites. There are more, I know RTCM has at least some.

RTCM says that these came from slideshows released on five different dates:

6/1/95
6/11/95
6/30/95
8/11/95
11/19/95

For reference:
LameDuke: 12/30/94
v0.99: 1/4/96
v1.0: 1/29/96
v1.1: 2/20/96
v1.3D Registered: 4/19/96
v1.3D Shareware: 4/24/96
v1.4: 10/10/96
v1.5: 12/11/96
Mac Shareware: 7/4/97

View PostHank, on 02 February 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

Whatever happened to the city?

Looks like E3L4, L.A. Rumble.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 02 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

After making my comment I noticed how some of them differed from the others aha.

I always wanted to know why floor mirrors didn't work;
Posted Image

Here's another "E2L8" - I think from under the tower in hendricks's screenie;
Posted Image

Is it me, or did some sprites look better before the palette was changed;
Posted Image

For the sake of it, Scuba Gear;
Posted Image

I still wanna know if the red symbols in the HUD were like the eyes in the HUD in Blood;
Posted Image

If you think of E1L2 in V0.99, the blue key room makes sense;
Posted Image

I remember a thread like this, was over here; http://forums.duke4....h__1#entry27967

User is offline   Hank 

View PostHendricks266, on 02 February 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

These are many separate versions of Duke represented by all the screenshots that we have. You can see a progression, particularly with the HUD. Also, I only posted my favorites. There are more, I know RTCM has at least some.

RTCM says that these came from slideshows released on five different dates:

6/1/95
6/11/95
6/30/95
8/11/95
11/19/95

For reference:
LameDuke: 12/30/94
v0.99: 1/4/96
v1.0: 1/29/96
v1.1: 2/20/96
v1.3D Registered: 4/19/96
v1.3D Shareware: 4/24/96
v1.4: 10/10/96
v1.5: 12/11/96
Mac Shareware: 7/4/97

Looks like E3L4, L.A. Rumble.

If the references are correct, I can't find the map in the shareware version. - Yes, the big screen is like in LA Rumble, but the map is more like a court yard, this image seems to be a street. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 02 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options