Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D Genesis - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D Genesis

User is offline   nukemania 

I'm sure many of you guys are familiar with the Duke Nukem 3D infamous Genesis "port".

What I want to point out is a couple of interesting things about it. Have any of you guys tried playing through the game, preferably with cheats? As you progress further in the game, you'll notice that there are many gameplay mechanics implemented not seen in the PC original. This may seem expected/unsurprising. However, these "new" gameplay mechanics are actually things that were planned for the PC version, but scrapped. For example, the space suit. Not only does this version make use of the space suit (for.... outer space areas, and where they try to mimic actual outer space physics), but the pickup message "body suit" appears. This message is left over in the PC version.

There are other things, too. Things like this, to me, make this a pretty interesting port to try out.

User is offline   thatguy 

I kind of wish a team of designers would revisit the duke3d levels and make it fresh and new yet still almost the same content. Like for instance, I liked the blue skies in Hollywood Holocaust in the N64 version. Made it look better especially since almost every level is at night time.

Though its a pipe dream since we can't modify the original levels right? Legally that is.

Anyways, I'm going to check out the game. I never really bothered since nothing can be compared to the PC version, except for the post n64 console days.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 07 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Are we thinking of the same game? If so, can you really call it a "port"? It seems more like Dukenstein 3D.

Unless he's talking about the Sega Saturn one which looks amazing.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 07 January 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

Like for instance, I liked the blue skies in Hollywood Holocaust in the N64 version. Made it look better especially since almost every level is at night time.

For anyone who wants this, you will get two people who want to keep the nighttime E1L1 known and loved.

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 07 January 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

Though its a pipe dream since we can't modify the original levels right? Legally that is.

We can.

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on 07 January 2012 - 06:09 PM, said:

Are we thinking of the same game? If so, can you really call it a "port"? It seems more like Dukenstein 3D.

I put "port" in quotations because I use the term loosely.

Anyway, the point here, among others, is to bring into light that Tec Toy must have really been familiar with the Duke 3D data.

View PostHendricks266, on 07 January 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

We can.

Oh really? Is that because 3d Realms went under? I recall a while ago one of the employee's said you can't but that was when 3d Realms still was functioning.

• Weaponized Autism

So sayeth TerminX: there is nothing in the license that prevents us from modifying the original maps.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

That is correct. The game even included a user map template with specific references to making new maps by modifying maps from the original game. You can do whatever you want to them as long as you aren't making them playable without a copy of the full version of Duke3D!

User is offline   Martin 

Awesome thread! I have played the Mega Drive Duke on an emulator. I must admit I never played it past the first couple of stages. I just couldn't stand how jank it was. But yes, very interesting that Tec Toy honoured the original game in some way. They could never have actually done Duke 3D on the Mega Drive, so to include ideas scrapped from the PC original is a nice homage. Well done to the developers, who must have been tearing their hair out at trying to replicate Duke Nukem 3D on the Mega Drive. Heroes among men.

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 07 January 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

Unless he's talking about the Sega Saturn one which looks amazing.

I have it on Saturn. That version has a feeling of movement and inertia that no other version has. It has it's pitfalls, but it's a unique version of the game, and probably my favourite console version.

• Weaponized Autism

Doom 32X turned out much better than this. In fact, research has been done and tools have been created to edit the actual IWAD data contained inside the rom.

User is offline   Martin 

Well yeah, but Doom 32X was on the 32X.. not Mega Drive.

I personally find Doom 32X to be awful. Despite looking better than the SNES Doom, I think the SNES version has it eclipsed every other way. Granted, it's not even the Doom engine when it comes to the SNES one. The new weapon system is actually pretty cool; I like how the hitscan weapons work and how powerful the last 3 weapons are.

-More maps (22, instead of 17 of the 32X version). In fact, 32X version has no Inferno maps. That reminds me...
-The included maps are actually very close to the PC version. 32X version features badly simplified maps. Speaking of badly done...
-For the 32X port's music, I don't even want to go there. SNES version undoubtedly has really neat music. Speaking of neat...
-A neat level-restart feature that compensates for lack of saves. 32X has nothing similar, which brings me to....
-32X version won't allow you to see the ending unless you don't cheat and you played to the end from the first level (including the secret level). However...
-You can't get the BFG unless you cheat. Speaking of cheats...
-Activating cheats is a bigger challenge than the game. They fail to work many times and often result in crashes. Speaking of crashes...
-Expect the game to crash at random times (Malloc, Echo Bus), often making your playthrough a loss. Speaking of loss...
-The SNES version only lacks the Spectre, while the 32X version lacks many more including the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind. That reminds me...
-SNES version has all the powerups, while 32X version lacks some.

Sure the SNES Doom lacks floor and ceiling textures, the motion is chunky and the controls tend to be annoying (stiff, can't strafe and turn, get stuck in walls), but play the game a bit and you'd likely get over that.

Back on topic, I can't help but feel like that, visually, Duke Nukem 3D for Genesis is analogous to SNES Doom.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The Genesis game is plain shit, seriously.

Thanks for warning me. I didn't realize that until you've made the post. In fact that piece of information is so valuable, Captain Awesome, that you've won the internets.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Oh my god, I'm so lucky.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I still think the Genesis game is interesting as a proof of concept...lots of software rendered goodness.

But Zero Tolerance is a better example. Duke3D tries to push the envelope too far.

It's remarkable how competent software rendering can be on that machine. I've seen games that can give the SNES a run for it's money, and still have near-zero slowdown.

For those who may still, for whatever reason, want to try the game.com verison via emulator, there is one out there...

User is offline   necroslut 

View Postnukemania, on 08 January 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

For those who may still, for whatever reason, want to try the game.com verison via emulator, there is one out there...

Is Duke playable in it now? Last time I checked it wasn't.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View Postnecroslut, on 09 January 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

Is Duke playable in it now? Last time I checked it wasn't.

Yeah I thought this was the case too. I thought that the only emulator that could play it was being kept unreleased by that guy who bought the Dev Kit.

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 09 January 2012 - 06:01 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

All I know is you can't turn in the Game.com version. Fucking LOL.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostDescent, on 09 January 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

All I know is you can't turn in the Game.com version. Fucking LOL.

Hehe yeah just those hallways that auto-turn you. Still wasn't too bad though they gave some variety at least. They did just turn into a "lets put 2 or 3 enemies one after another and let you kill them and open a door" kinda thing though.

User is offline   Martin 

View PostJinroh, on 09 January 2012 - 06:01 AM, said:

Yeah I thought this was the case too. I thought that the only emulator that could play it was being kept unreleased by that guy who bought the Dev Kit.

Someone bought a Game.com development kit? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yep, the game.com emulator that I've "mentioned" can indeed run games. It seems very complete and usable.

• Weaponized Autism

View Postnukemania, on 08 January 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

I can't believe I missed the release of this in October. I successfully found a download at a private torrent tracker.

Heh, it seems the best ones are only private downloads.

I also mention that the download I found isn't even close to private... and I wonder if we have 2 different things, now.

• Weaponized Autism

Game.Com Emulator/Debugger W.I.P. (29/12/98)

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostTX, on 07 January 2012 - 07:15 PM, said:

That is correct. The game even included a user map template with specific references to making new maps by modifying maps from the original game. You can do whatever you want to them as long as you aren't making them playable without a copy of the full version of Duke3D!
Even if they said it differently, I don't see why we should not be allowed to. I mean, it's not just because someone said you are not authorized to do something that you have the legal obligation not to.

View PostHendricks266, on 07 January 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

For anyone who wants this, you will get two people who want to keep the nighttime E1L1 known and loved.
Probably. But I would like to see it dynamically changing from day to night too.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 14 January 2012 - 12:23 AM, said:

Probably. But I would like to see it dynamically changing from day to night too.

Do you mean the sky changes based on the actual time you are playing?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options