Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D FREE on Android Market for 2 Days - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D FREE on Android Market for 2 Days  "Grab it now when it is FREE :)"

User is offline   BugsBunny 

Duke Nukem 3D is now free on Android Market, but only for 2 days. I think this is a must for every Duke fan out here:

https://market.andro...orthwest.duke3d

Enjoy :).

User is offline   You 

View PostBugsBunny, on 22 December 2011 - 09:56 AM, said:

Duke Nukem 3D is now free on Android Market, but only for 2 days. I think this is a must for every Duke fan out here:

https://market.andro...orthwest.duke3d

Enjoy :).

I've heard this is terrible due to the controls. Will test later and report back.

All FPS games play quite terrible on little phone screens due to control probs. This on is not extremely bad though, I have tried it myself, it is quite playable. I would however say get it when the license is FREE and hopefully the developer updates the game with better controls in near future.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I plan on porting EDuke32 to Android in the near future and downloaded this just to get an idea of how bad it really was. The controls are atrocious, there's no music, all of the sound effects have the wrong pitch, the FOV is way zoomed in, etc, etc, etc. It's really not very good at all.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I had sprites disappearing and reappearing on my phone, hardly any of the fences showed up on the E1L1 roof.
The liztrooper on the box didn't show up till I was about 3 meters away...

On my Samsung Galaxy S2 it is working properly, and no graphical glitches are appearing. NO graphical glitches whatsoever .

View PostBugsBunny, on 22 December 2011 - 11:02 AM, said:

On my Samsung Galaxy S2 it is working properly, and no graphical glitches are appearing. NO graphical glitches whatsoever .

Nice choice on the phone, I got that phone too and everything works on it perfectly but it's still awkward to play duke 3d with a touch screen only.
Also, you should flash an icecream rom to it soon, it kicks ass.

The controlls really aren't that bad. And i didn't have any of The commanders problems. Played it on itouch. Take the harder controls as a challenge, and it shouldn't be too hard on the easiest difficult.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Could be my phone, its nothing special, but when I was looking at getting a GPS unit for the car this was only $50 more.
Might as well get a phone that can do more.

http://www.gsmarena....e_p500-3516.php

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I was playing Doom on my MP3 player back in 2008.

EDIT: I didn't post this video, but it's the same make, model and setup of mine. The soft is called 'Rockbox' and installs a flavour of Linux onto MP3 players. These are NOT iPods, they are really basic, old, non-smart MP3 players with bare-bones capability.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 27 December 2011 - 04:28 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

I just want a doom source port that plays hexen and strife

If your phone is good enough, you could resort to playin duke in andosbox but it can barely keep a good FPS in ROTT

User is offline   zwieback 

i only know that the duke3d port on the iphone is terrible.. i don't even bother downloading it to my galaxy s2.
eduke32 however sounds VERY interesting :)

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostTX, on 22 December 2011 - 10:18 AM, said:

I plan on porting EDuke32 to Android in the near future....

Will it have polymer? :unsure: JK

User is offline   Martin 

How will EDuke circumvent the issue of crappy controls? Touchscreen is as touchscreen does.

• el fundador

With a lot of careful thought. It's definitely possible to have workable controls in a touch screen shooter... see the official Doom port in the Apple app store for example. Some sort of jump/duck/ledge traversal assistance would probably go a long way towards making the game playable, combined with a possible system of actually touching the enemy you want to shoot versus trying to line up shots solely by the typical adjustment of player angle.

This is all theoretical, of course.

User is offline   Martin 

Interesting ideas. I think the jump/duck/etc assistance is excellent, but I worry that a 'touch on enemy to shoot enemy' thing might make the game feel more like Virtua Cop than Duke Nukem.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostTX, on 03 January 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

With a lot of careful thought. It's definitely possible to have workable controls in a touch screen shooter... see the official Doom port in the Apple app store for example. Some sort of jump/duck/ledge traversal assistance would probably go a long way towards making the game playable, combined with a possible system of actually touching the enemy you want to shoot versus trying to line up shots solely by the typical adjustment of player angle.

You could also make it so you only have to bump into switches rather than press the "use" button to activate them.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 04 January 2012 - 12:02 AM

User is offline   thatguy 

My opinion toward FPS or ports to touch devices is quite varied. I've played plenty of FPS games including NOVA, Modern Combat, etc. They all worked VERY well for the system. Right there, it all depends on how is is programmed and how the traditional control feel. If you make it too stiff or too sensitive the game will feel clunky.

In terms of ports, developers seem to follow the 'make the device work with the game' instead of 'make the game work with the device'. By this I mean developers seem to make the device work around the gameplay instead of making the gameplay work around the device. Would it not be more efficient and more enjoyable for the end user if you make the gameplay work fluently and less stressful if the game utilized creative touch designs instead of mimicking physical control setups? Developers try to hard to mimics controllers instead of making the game work on the touch device.

Anyways, thats my rant. :unsure:

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostTX, on 03 January 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

This is all theoretical, of course.

Id's iPhone port of Wolf3D had amazing controls. I'd go so far as to say they were console quality. I wish id would release an real Android port, not the piece of crap we have that was made in someone's basement. That's the one thing I really, really miss about my iPhone.

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostDescent, on 08 January 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

Id's iPhone port of Wolf3D had amazing controls. I'd go so far as to say they were console quality. I wish id would release an real Android port, not the piece of crap we have that was made in someone's basement. That's the one thing I really, really miss about my iPhone.

I miss the iPhone too. Stuck with my inactive Droid X since I wouldn't pay my Verizon BS bill. :unsure: Well when I get the extra cash, i'll sure be getting iPhone4S over Sprint.

Oh and Wolf3D did have great controls. Did you ever play Doom too for it? i never got to since my iPod Touch was stolen before the release on the Apple Market.

User is offline   Sebastian 

Free isn't cheap enough for that game if the controls remained the same as it was on the iPhone.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostReaperMan, on 03 January 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

Will it have polymer? :unsure: JK

They've recently ported Q3 to Android, so you should at least be able to have Polymost. In a couple of years time, when Polymer is optimized and the next generation of smart phones is out, you might just get your wish!

!

How about mapster on iphone O.o

• el fundador

View PostDescent, on 08 January 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

Yeah, I played the official ports of Doom and Wolf3d back when I had an old iPod Touch to play with. They did control very well. That's partially how I know I can make EDuke32 control decently on a touch screen. :unsure:

User is offline   Hool 

You could definitely put Eduke32 on the Market for the Xperia Play. I have one, and I think it would be awesome for it to use the physical controls. Just one thing though, don't mess up the touch analog sticks, Gameloft does this and it makes their games crap (except for 9MM, that's alright).

This post has been edited by WheatleyNukem: 26 February 2012 - 07:54 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options