Duke4.net Forums: Am I the only one? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Am I the only one?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I think the weapons thing is also really sad. I remember early on George always talking about how all the weapons had their own alternate fire modes.

If DNF had alternate fire modes I think they could have been stuff like...

Melee: FIST(LMB) - MIGHTY BOOT (RMB)
Pistol: Fire(LMB) - Toggle laser (RMB) Laser shots are more accurate, but fire slower.
Shotgun: Regular shot (LMB) - double blast (RMB) Fires two shots back-to-back and rapidly. Good for clearing weaker enemies instantly. Has a slower "pumping" cycle, though.
Chaingun: Regular fire (LMB) - Change ammo to (RMB): Explosive fletchette or regular. The Chaingun becomes an anti-armor weapon with explosive flechette rounds. Weapon also gains a heat bar, if the weapon is overheated it has to cool off for a couple seconds.
RPG: Regular rockets (LMB) - Heat seeking rockets (RMB): Rockets lock on and follow targets.
Shrinker: - Fires (LMB) - Toggle to Expander (RMB): The weapon turns red and will now expand the enemies. Pushing the button again toggles it back to shrink mode.
Devastator: Fires normal double rocket bursts (LMB) - Charge up cluster blast (RMB): Think Unreal Tournaments Rocket Launcher charge up. You can fire four rockets at once that move like drunken missiles.
Freeze thrower: Fires a blast of freeze particles, like a flame thrower (LMB) - Fires a chilled ice spike that can freeze and delimb enemies (RMB).

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I always thought it was bullshit that the Expander didn't get included (and the mighty boot got the shaft). So much for every Duke3D weapon returning.

View PostPsyrgery, on 17 November 2011 - 10:35 AM, said:

I was thinking of you the other day (AMONG OTHER THINGS, OF COURSE, I AM NOT THAT PERVERT!)

When thinking of how epic could have this game been. I made a list of "What happened to this things of the game that got cut out so horribly?" and then I recalled your words when you said how much would you have liked to show the Slick Willly to the DNF community, or something like that.

These where the things I would oh so much wanted to see.
- Where is the single player jetpack?
- Where are the ragdoll octabrains?
- Where is bombshell?
- Where is insane (and useful) interactivity? - By this I meant "Click a code on a vending machine keypad and get a Sandwich to eat for health" not clicking on a tobaco dispenser to toss crap around, or drinking water from fountains adding nothing to the game.
- Where is carrying a total array of weapons?
- Where are the medkits?
- Where are the mod tools?
- Where is the drivable motorbike?
- Where is the drivable boat?
- Where is the drivable jet plane?
- Where are the enemies roaming the maps and not spawning in certain areas out of nowhere?
- Where are the one-liners that did not get old only after 2 hours?
- Where are the possesed humans?
- Where is free-roaming Las Vegas?
- Where are the full-working riot shields?
- Where are the enemies that died in a cool meqon powered ragdoll way leaving blood splatts everywhere (and not only a single splatt per enemy) and with their bodies full of bullet holes?
- Mule? Gus?
- Where are the grabbing-alien-hand thingy from the Jace Hall clips that grabbed that red-glowing-ball thingies?
- Where is the 12-16 hours campaign lenght?
- Where are the cool night levels?

I mean seriously, to me it looks as if the "good pieces" of the game were being made on a work bench, shiny, perfect, ready to end up being a perfect creation, and suddenly decide to discard the good stuff and use defective, crappy and non-working pieces to put them together and god-knows-how-will-this-end-up.

I want the previous builds of the game, those that deserve the Duke Nukem Forever game, not a parody of a poor parody of wrong ideas of good games.

This makes me so sad seeing this list.

User is offline   Redcard 

I got the game as part of the 2K steam bundle.. and played through it..

Honestly, it's mediocre at best, I think it tries to hard.

But, as someone in the industry.. just because you saw those things on a video or screenshot or jace hall interview doesn't mean they were ready to go in the game. This industry is famous for Dog and Pony shows with previewers.

It may have looked complete, but that doesn't mean it was.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 20 November 2011 - 09:51 AM, said:

I think the weapons thing is also really sad. I remember early on George always talking about how all the weapons had their own alternate fire modes.

One of my favorite weapons that didn't show up in the final game was one of the takes we had on a flame thrower. Essentially it was a standard flame thrower, the flame wall from Rise of the Triad, and a "trap layer" via a lingering cloud of gas.

The flame thrower aspect was the least interesting, this was around the Castle Wolfenstein awesomeness. It also had an alternate fire that did a basic form of the Flame Wall from ROTT which shot out several "balls" of fire that crawled along in a row climbing over short walls and such burning things in their path. At the time virtually everything that wasn't world geometry was able to be grabbed and thrown, caught on fire, and destroyed. So you'd send a wall down a hall and watch each thing light up and burn to a crisp as it went by.

The most fun for multiplayer though, was the gas laying. Basically you just left a cloud of gas around you. However due to the intricacy of the systems, all sorts of things would set the gas off and explode. If you walked in you would cough and take mild damage. If you fired a pistol or other weapon that had a "flame" while inside the gas, it would explode (similar damage to a pipe bomb). If you walked through with a flame thrower where the pilot light was lit, boom. If someone else was inside the gas, and you shot a piece of metal and it sparked, boom. If you threw a metal physics object into it and it hit another metal object which caused a spark... boom. If you caught a plant on fire, threw the plant into the gas cloud, boom.

The sort of traps you could come up with were a riot... because there were so many different ways of leaving a gas cloud behind in unexpected ways and have them set off.

Leave a gas cloud near a microwave, start the microwave... boom.

:unsure:

This post has been edited by Wieder: 04 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

User is offline   Martin 

Sounds awesome! I always love flame throwers ever since the amazing one (at the time) in Turok 2: Seeds of Evil.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It's really, really sad that we're never going to get a game that's even close to what DNF was originally going to be. I'm not just talking about the next Duke game from gearbox or two, I'm talking about any game. Developers just don't seem to put as much thought into the small things like that anymore.

User is offline   Jeff 

Skyrim has huge amounts of interactivity, but I guess that game is one in a million. That is, very rare to see that amount of interactivity.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

View PostMicky C, on 04 January 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

It's really, really sad that we're never going to get a game that's even close to what DNF was originally going to be. I'm not just talking about the next Duke game from gearbox or two, I'm talking about any game. Developers just don't seem to put as much thought into the small things like that anymore.

Give it time. If you can stand waiting 10 years somebody is bound to make what you're looking for.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostWieder, on 04 January 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

One of my favorite weapons that didn't show up in the final game was one of the takes we had on a flame thrower. Essentially it was a standard flame thrower, the flame wall from Rise of the Triad, and a "trap layer" via a lingering cloud of gas.

The flame thrower aspect was the least interesting, this was around the Castle Wolfenstein awesomeness. It also had an alternate fire that did a basic form of the Flame Wall from ROTT which shot out several "balls" of fire that crawled along in a row climbing over short walls and such burning things in their path. At the time virtually everything that wasn't world geometry was able to be grabbed and thrown, caught on fire, and destroyed. So you'd send a wall down a hall and watch each thing light up and burn to a crisp as it went by.

The most fun for multiplayer though, was the gas laying. Basically you just left a cloud of gas around you. However due to the intricacy of the systems, all sorts of things would set the gas off and explode. If you walked in you would cough and take mild damage. If you fired a pistol or other weapon that had a "flame" while inside the gas, it would explode (similar damage to a pipe bomb). If you walked through with a flame thrower where the pilot light was lit, boom. If someone else was inside the gas, and you shot a piece of metal and it sparked, boom. If you threw a metal physics object into it and it hit another metal object which caused a spark... boom. If you caught a plant on fire, threw the plant into the gas cloud, boom.

The sort of traps you could come up with were a riot... because there were so many different ways of leaving a gas cloud behind in unexpected ways and have them set off.

Sometimes I really hate it when you post. :P

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

That is one of the most awesome mechanics I've ever heard of.

This post has been edited by Descent: 07 January 2012 - 12:15 AM

DNF: What should've been.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I just looked up old footage and screens from the leaked 2010 and 09 stuff and I noticed something very striking: There was color in the game. A lot of it does look similar to what we got, except it looks sharp (mostly because of tons of AA), and colorful. Despite being outdated, it still looked really good.

Current DNF everything seems to be color graded, 1 color - and the graphics, the lighting especially, looks bland where the old one looked good. What's up with this? Why did GBX do so much to it?

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 26 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostBloodshot, on 19 January 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

Current DNF everything seems to be color graded, 1 color - and the graphics, the lighting especially, looks bland where the old one looked good. What's up with this? Why did GBX do so much to it?

They thinks it's "modern". They call it atmosphere or immersion but all in all it's just a sign of lacking creativity. I'm fed up with this shit. Way too many games and movies have been done that way over the past years.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I know. But really, the fucking game would have looked good if they kept it as it was. It's sad really that these devs seem to lack that understanding.

It was the same thing with Crysis and Crysis Warhead - the first was colorful and beautiful - yes a bit dull, but not unlike real life. Warhead just turned everything orange.

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

The contents of this post is 100% more innovative & exciting than the entirety of the game as it was released.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options