• This topic is locked

AMC TC released - Merry x-mas!  "One hell of a christmas present"

User is offline   djdori11 

View PostForge, on 29 December 2011 - 12:22 PM, said:

these mean exactly the opposite

Fixed.

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

So I remember many many moons ago I did some enemy code for some secret project over at AMC. Any idea if that turned into this? I haven't had a chance to play it yet, and looking in the code/art I don't see anything familiar so I doubt it.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostReaper_Man, on 29 December 2011 - 12:58 PM, said:

So I remember many many moons ago I did some enemy code for some secret project over at AMC. Any idea if that turned into this? I haven't had a chance to play it yet, and looking in the code/art I don't see anything familiar so I doubt it.

Nope! I had nothing to do with what you're talking about :)

User is offline   Hank 

View Postdjdori11, on 29 December 2011 - 11:36 AM, said:

I didn't mean the game has to be linear, and I didn't mean the game should tell you where to go all the time. What i said is that the game should be more a little tiny bit more self-explanatory. Cause as I said before your TC is amazing and I love it. I don't have much problem with the levels but i just wanted to give the point that people getting stuck is maybe something that need to be fixed.

It takes a little extra to make those maps, and I like figuring out a way to get unstuck. For those that are stuck, perhaps use the Duke 3D map feature. The TAB key. Or just have a coffee, and move in a different direction, that works for me.
Same as I posted at the AMC, played this thing all night on my new comp. Luv it. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image perfect 10

Cheers and happy new year.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Any problems with the maps not being self-explanatory enough are just your usual culprits of switch hunts and doors that don't stand out, not bad at all. A lot of times viewscreens are are posted next to the switches which is great, and I love the freelook cameras!

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 29 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I think a real issue of most people getting stuck is that the gameplay is way more dynamic than Duke's was. You have objects to interact with and actual objectives.

Loving Millhaven, by the way!

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I didn't have that much trouble and I beat the mod few days ago and was epicly awsome.

View PostDN4ever, on 24 December 2011 - 03:17 PM, said:

It crashes when I try to shoot, and some levels are just black, and some levels have text boxes saying what should be there. Am I doing something wrong in trying to run it? All I do is open the included EDuke32, no polymer, special content directory or autoload and run. The game starts all ok except the episode names between men who were amc and multiplayer are just -.
is it supposed to be - where the episode names should be? because thats what i see when i run this. but other than that, this TC is awesome!!

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Yes, those episodes are supposed to be empty.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 30 December 2011 - 12:29 PM, said:

Yes, those episodes are supposed to be empty.
ok..thanks. I figured out what i was doing wrong the first couple times i tried playing this..after watching the beginning cut scene i picked a character and tried playing straight from there, but i would find myself in a dark area with just my hud showing. btw..i visit your site often to get my duke nukem map news. great site.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I think is mentioned that the mod may have more episodes in the upcoming future,

Hello everybody, first post on this forum :P

So, I was very positively surprised by this. Usually, big projects don't always live up to the promises, but this one even surpasses even highest expectations.
This really is pretty much the best duke mod Build engine game out there. And I'm only up to millhaven.

Okay, now to the point of this post:
I'm getting really confused by the graphics settings this is meant to be played at. So Software mode is classic, right? And 16bpp and 32bpp is polymost then.
First thing I notice on polymost: Mirrors don't render correctly, like mentioned before. So I switch to Software, expecting things to run perfectly, and play up to Millhaven.
After beating the boss and watching the cutscene up to the point where it shows the daycare sign, Eduke crashes. And it's not a casual crash, it always does it there.
Then, I switch back to 16/32bpp, and voila! The cutscene plays flawlessly.
Makes me wonder if I am the only one who played this part in Software mode, heh

I played with the latest update, and the Eduke version that came with the TC, and I attached the log file. (Yay, finally a bug.)

PS. Loved the way you used the Doom64 ending music :)

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 30 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

I am hooked!

I love the variety in the game--although I still feel partial to the high-tech bits (*coughSandtcough*). Highwire's part reminded me of the days I used to play LucasArt's Outlaws--the graphics were lovely. I've only reached the part just after Sandt's level, so I'm still working my way through it.

My only complaint is that on both Classic and 16-bit OpenGL (Polymost) the game stutters a *lot* in some places. It might be my old AMD 3800+ is not up to par (I'm *hoping* it's not the nVidia 8800GTS dying, but whatever. THIS. TC. IS. FUN.)

Thanks to all that worked on it!

User is offline   Jblade 

Welcome Doom64hunter - I played the TC through in classic mode and got no crashes in that cutscene, so I'm not sure why you have issues with that :) Glad to see it hasn't affected your enjoyment of the mod.

SuperTanker - Classic mode shouldn't be affected by GFX card, but I can't say I've noticed any stuttering with a 2.4ghz proccesor (it's a duel core but I don't think Eduke32 uses that)

I played around with it a bit more, and it turns out that resolutions over 1366 X 768 in 8 bpp crash the game. Windowed mode doesn't make it crash at all. Strange.

In Opengl, the camera looks up much higher than in Software, maybe it tries to go over the software borders. :S
At least I can continue playing.

User is offline   djdori11 

I finished "Dis Base" level now, when I saw that there is 3 minutes timer and the screen turned red I didn't know what to do I just ran to random places and I got into secret level called "Doom Disco", it was very fun hahahaha..
This game is like classic fps heaven, there is a Half-Life, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom and maybe Quake and more stuff in it. GOTY. I think you should show it to Doom forums and stuff every classic fps junkies should check it out.

View PostJames, on 31 December 2011 - 01:15 AM, said:

Welcome Doom64hunter - I played the TC through in classic mode and got no crashes in that cutscene, so I'm not sure why you have issues with that :) Glad to see it hasn't affected your enjoyment of the mod.

SuperTanker - Classic mode shouldn't be affected by GFX card, but I can't say I've noticed any stuttering with a 2.4ghz proccesor (it's a duel core but I don't think Eduke32 uses that)

Hmm, this is a 2x 2.2GHz CPU, so it should be decent. It might be Windows being funny for <insert reason here>.

Also, I too got stuck at a point in Highwire's level as a previous poster mentioned; there is a door next to a vending machine that seems to be triggered by your comrades, but all I get is a message at the top saying "I can not go on without my comrade Vladamir!" I had to noclip to go past that.

EDIT: Just finished. Wow, that was a blast! Highwire's level and the outback level were my two favorite thus far. I was blown away by the mapping. Looking forward to whatever comes next!

This post has been edited by Supertanker: 31 December 2011 - 02:20 PM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

I just got back from vacation, and I'm really anxious to start playing this epic TC!!!!!!!!!! Downloading right now :)

User is offline   XThX2 

Probably the only game that I've played which has such deep storyline put in it lately. So awesome, yet so short. Expecting more in the future !

This post has been edited by XThX2: 01 January 2012 - 04:55 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

Is there any information about the TC that you guys would like to know more importantly first? I'm filling out the AMC TC wiki as I go but there's a shitload of stuff to go in there. There IS a list of all research projects in the game as well as where some of the artifacts are.

I'm also planning on adding build information to the site, but only if there's high demand. I know Micky C is working on a level and Arghantyl expressed interest at scent 88 but would anybody else be keen on making a map if I added more documentation?

And finally, I'd like to know what character you guys played at and who was your favourite :)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I think your character might be my favourite, he seems to have a good set of weapons, some of which remind me of the happy times I had playing Imagination World v2. Haven't tried any of the melee characters properly yet.

I played as Rusty Nails and he is probably my favourite. :P

I have researched all that were available,but in the lab room appeared only two of them - flamethrower and plasma gun. Is this a bug or I did something wrong?
:unsure:

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

You can only research items if you've recovered their research documents in the field. And on that note, Rusty is probably another candidate of mine for favourite Posted Image

Well,I've found a lot of research projects - MIA Gun,Battlelord Gun,a lot of different bullets and shells - and i've researched them all,but again - appeared only flamethrower and plasma gun.

User is offline   Jblade 

Glad to hear that Micky :unsure:

And don't worry about that room in the research labs; the main function of researched weapons and equipment is that you can equip them in the loadout screen, which is found in the AMC armoury. When equipped there, the weapons and items will be given to the character you chose whenever you play as them (Unless their equipment is lost for some reason at the start of a level)

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I used several characters. hard to name just one as a favorite so it's a tie between Rusty and James

User is offline   XThX2 

I've also played Rusty first, due to my fascination with Caleb-look. I'd say he did a very nice voice acting too, be sure to tell him that ! I'd love if he did more to be honest. Guns are also pretty satisfying, especially that auto shotgun.

Then I started as Sang after I finished the game, he seems to be fun too but my only complaint is that he doesn't have much upgrades for his weapons. I'd say he also did a nice job at voice acting, but spoke kinda too slow at some places... don't know why though.

I'd like to know what levels allow you to carry out weapons from AMC base, so far I don't think any of them in the original episode do.

Edit : I forgot to mention Highwire did a really nice job with voice acting too. I can tell he tried hard to sound russian (though at times he sounds kinda funny, it's just... awesome :unsure: By the way, he sounds tougher than he looks in the game, I don't know if anyone thinks like this)

This post has been edited by XThX2: 02 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

I'd like to know what levels allow you to carry out weapons from AMC base, so far I don't think any of them in the original episode do.

-Ganymede
-Millhaven
-Snow Base
-For Providence

They should do it, you may not of set the stuff for the correct character :unsure:

Glad you enjoyed the voice acting, I would of liked more stuff too but most of the team are too tied up with other commitments to put in more voice acting.

User is offline   Sebastian 

I haven't had a chance to play through the game yet but I'm really stoked that people seem to like Millhaven. I couldn't have had it finished without James' help at the end since I was running real low on time and energy but all-in-all the map came together much better than what I had expected it to.

View PostXThX2, on 02 January 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

I've also played Rusty first, due to my fascination with Caleb-look. I'd say he did a very nice voice acting too, be sure to tell him that ! I'd love if he did more to be honest. Guns are also pretty satisfying, especially that auto shotgun.

Thanks! I wish I could get a chance to re-record alot of the lines since they were all recorded over a span of (I think?) four-or-more years or so, with pretty much different equipment and circumstances during each session so the sound quality is pretty rough at spots.

Again, can't wait to free up some time to play this thing through. Can't believe it's finally released!

So I finally played through episode 1. Pretty cool stuff.
My favorite map is definitely Millhaven.

There should be more explanation at times though. I have no Idea what the two luck amulets, minervas amulet and the shrinking ring actually do, even after selecting them in the loadout.
Also, you don't really get to know what special abilities the characters have when you start. Things like Sangs ability to remove Pentagrams, or Mikko's hacking are made obvious, because they're essential to progress in the story.
But other times, there's for example James' ability to still use time portals. You would never ever guess that this even exists, as the portal area isn't marked as secret or anything, and it's completely invisible to anyone else.
Rusty can talk to the dead, marked by paranormal activity in the scanner, what can Geoffrey, Zaxtor, Merljin and Highwire do?

What could be improved are the bosses (spoilers):

-The overlord (cacodemon) shoots a fireball which has a ridiculously large range, and deals extreme damage. I think the range is just a tad bit too large, it can very easily kill you in one hit even when it hits the wall behind you.
-The boss on highwire's level, the large robot suit. Most frustrating part of the TC, by far. Not only does he shoot volleys of hard to avoid instakill grenades, he also has a chaingun that can easily annihilate you in a matter of seconds.
It's a really small room for this kind of boss, and the second rpg, which you absolutely need to kill him, is lying in front of his starting position.
-The final boss has an instant kill attack too, but this can at least be avoided with some strategy. A much bigger problem is that he really really likes to get stuck on the walls in his pit. This for some reason causes him to be invulnerable against the rocks you push at him.

And I can't seem to find the secret in the abyss level. Any clues?

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options