Duke4.net Forums: new DLC tuesday is going to cost ? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new DLC tuesday is going to cost ?  "The Doctor Who Cloned Me"

User is offline   HT1 

just read this news about the new DLC on the home page: The Doctor Who Cloned Me

saw some pix, it does look interesting, but i'll wait for the youtube vids to see if its worth it.

i hate to say it, but it looks like they're just gonna shoot themselves in the foot again with asking money for the DLC.

10$ is probably going to piss off the remaining fan base. i know they must be hemoraging money since the release but maybe its best to play it nice and not ask for money on this one. kind of like a sort of peace offering.

This post has been edited by HT1: 09 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

User is offline   randir14 

The first DLC was already free to everyone in the first access club.

User is offline   necroslut 

If you don't like DNF enough to pay 10$ for DLC, then you probably wouldn't like it even if it was free. I know I'll buy it on release.

User is offline   LkMax 

Apparently they integrated the other Multiplayer DLC with the Single-player DLC. "Also, 4 new multiplayer maps"... it's exactly the size of the first dlc.
PS: Of course it's not free, but will probably be cheap.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 09 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Of course they're going to ask money for it and there's nothing wrong with it (when was the last time you worked for free?). $10 is peanuts anyway.

Back to Karkand BF3 DLC is going to be out on the same day so I'll probably get Duke out of the way first, then move on to BF3. Game day!

User is offline   HT1 

i just like free stuff. considering i paid full price the day it came out i got it at bestbuy, i'd like to get my money's worth yunno what i'm saying ?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

"The Doctor Who Cloned Me"? It's official. Gearbox has turned Duke into a huge joke, not that he wasn't before given the development time. I doubt we'd see another Duke game that even tries to take itself remotely seriously. They'll be like "oh, the gameplay isn't that good, but don't worry, it's funneh!" I really hope I'm wrong though.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 09 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostMicky C, on 09 December 2011 - 07:12 PM, said:

"The Doctor Who Cloned Me"? It's official. Gearbox has turned Duke into a huge joke, not that he wasn't before given the development time. I doubt we'd see another Duke game that even tries to take itself remotely seriously. They'll be like "oh, the gameplay isn't that good, but don't worry, it's funneh!" I really hope I'm wrong though.

I really hope you are wrong, Duke was such a good franchise in the past... what a shame, sad end. (just like Command & Conquer)

User is offline   Green 

Chris Faylor had this to say on Shacknews:

Triptych designed and produced the new single-player content. Portions of it were inspired by / based on some ideas that 3D Realms had in the past, but nothing was held back or cut from the main game to be used later. The entirety of The Doctor Who Cloned Me was created from scratch after work on Duke Nukem Forever was complete.

The new multiplayer maps were designed and produced by Piranha.

[Shacknews Comments]

I marked out when I saw the screenshots. So happy I'll be able to fight droids in a Duke game again.

User is offline   BugsBunny 

Day 1 buy for me. I need more Duke in my life. MoAR MOARRR.

User is offline   Ronin 

Gimme that dlc. I need to see this thing through. Is it possible that they learned nothing? Is it possible they will fuck things up again? This is their chance to give DNF some dignity and give the finger to all the people who WANTED to see the game fail and be laughed at (like my brother). It would be so cool for this dlc to be successful so DNF won't have been a complete disaster, but deep down I think they will fuck things up again. I was hoping that they would fire the folks who make DNF and Gearbox take over just so it would be differant.

Last chance Triptych, last chance.

P.s I think Duke getting cloned is a good plot for a Duke game, the Duke clones in Zero Hour were great although I don't really remember why they were in the game.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 09 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

David Riegel, Triptych games CEO, just posted this over at TTLG:

"DNF: The Doctor Who Cloned Me

Back in 2010, a little team of 10 people finished the single-player campaign for Duke Nukem Forever inside a house in Dallas. That campaign - and that game - was bought by Gearbox Software shortly after and distributed by 2K Games earlier this year. I'm happy to say we've been busy since Duke's release! We've been working on a 4-hour single-player campaign called The Doctor Who Cloned Me. It's coming out next week, and it kicks ass.

3 of us at Triptych Games got our start right here in TTLG and worked actively on T2X and other Thief and Thief 2 fan missions. Please help support us and check it out. It's 4 hours of brand new content, new vehicles, new enemies, new boss fights, and new weapons. It also has 4 new multiplayer maps. The campaign was developed at Triptych, produced by Gearbox, and is being distributed by 2K Games."

I'm looking forward to it.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 09 December 2011 - 10:47 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

Four hours? Thats rubbish, that means its probably 2 hours, it better be four hours of proper Nukem.

View PostBam050196, on 09 December 2011 - 08:02 PM, said:

I marked out when I saw the screenshots. So happy I'll be able to fight droids in a Duke game again.

I really hate when publishers/developer obviously FAKE the look of the game / screenshots. We all know the engine DOESN'T look like it is advertise. Especially the whole lightning/shadows look really fakey/photoshopped imho.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostRipemanewone, on 09 December 2011 - 10:35 PM, said:

This is their chance to give DNF some dignity and give the finger to all the people who WANTED to see the game fail and be laughed at (like my brother). It would be so cool for this dlc to be successful so DNF won't have been a complete disaster, but deep down I think they will fuck things up again. I was hoping that they would fire the folks who make DNF and Gearbox take over just so it would be differant.

I think as a best case scenario it'll be good, but it won't be enough to change most people's perspective of the game. If the levels are just as linear as the original game, I'll consider that an instant fail, as they would have missed the point of Duke - twice. Even SS3 had open levels with multiple paths and a tonne of secrets, even the city levels. There's no excuse for them to mess up again.

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 09 December 2011 - 10:46 PM, said:

That campaign - and that game - was bought by Gearbox Software shortly after...

Shotly after? We all know Gearbox had their hands on the game for at least a year. I wonder if this has something to do with them distancing themselves from the development of the game...

User is offline   Lunick 

I hope it's not 13 bucks like the other DLC although due to it being SP and MP DLC it might be worth the money.

User is offline   HT1 

ha! that's funny, i start a topic everybody's joining and i have -1 rep? lmao

lil help here, we're all in the same boat aren't we?

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostHT1, on 10 December 2011 - 03:04 AM, said:

ha! that's funny, i start a topic everybody's joining and i have -1 rep? lmao

lil help here, we're all in the same boat aren't we?

I gave you a plus just now for no reason, are you happier now? Does it really make any differance? Enjoy your day.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostHT1, on 09 December 2011 - 05:46 PM, said:

i just like free stuff. considering i paid full price the day it came out i got it at bestbuy, i'd like to get my money's worth yunno what i'm saying ?

No.

Consider working full-time. Your boss suddenly comes to you and says he won't pay for the past few weeks you've been working because he "likes free stuff", i.e., he doesn't want to pay you. Would that be even remotely acceptable to you?

User is offline   HT1 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 10 December 2011 - 05:15 AM, said:

No.

Consider working full-time. Your boss suddenly comes to you and says he won't pay for the past few weeks you've been working because he "likes free stuff", i.e., he doesn't want to pay you. Would that be even remotely acceptable to you?

right, or what if your boss told you you did a crappy job on the project and you have to stay late and fix it? would you expect to get paid then?

User is offline   HT1 

View PostRipemanewone, on 10 December 2011 - 03:26 AM, said:

I gave you a plus just now for no reason, are you happier now? Does it really make any differance? Enjoy your day.

thanks, you too.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostHT1, on 10 December 2011 - 05:31 AM, said:

right, or what if your boss told you you did a crappy job on the project and you have to stay late and fix it? would you expect to get paid then?

I'm not familiar with the practice of deciding ex post what to pay. Would you work for a company that could decide ex post that your input wasn't worth the pay and as such you shouldn't be paid? Imagine if this was applied so that everyone who bought the game could demand a refund if they didn't like it. Only idiots would consider that a good thing.

Duke Nukem Forever was easily worth the 50€ I paid for it.

User is offline   LkMax 

Aparently it's going to cost 10 bucks.
http://www.rockpaper...dlc-on-tuesday/

User is offline   Oook 

View PostLkMax, on 09 December 2011 - 07:25 PM, said:

I really hope you are wrong, Duke was such a good franchise in the past... what a shame, sad end. (just like Command & Conquer)

If you're a C&C fan you'll sure know Jon Van Caneghem is working on the nex instalment, with a new engine, a great production (Generals 2, probably). So, it was a good franchise, and it will be again; don't be so negative!

About the DLC, I'm really happy, I wasn't expecting them to finally release it. Could the clone be the Nega Duke who appears in the DNF artbook?

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostOook, on 10 December 2011 - 06:54 AM, said:

If you're a C&C fan you'll sure know Jon Van Caneghem is working on the nex instalment, with a new engine, a great production (Generals 2, probably). So, it was a good franchise, and it will be again; don't be so negative!
(...)

After C&C4 It's hard to expect anything good from them. Also, how do you know Caneghem will be working on the next installment? (also I never played his games, so he's "neutral" to me). The only thing we have are rumors.

View PostOook, on 10 December 2011 - 06:54 AM, said:

(...)
About the DLC, I'm really happy, I wasn't expecting them to finally release it. Could the clone be the Nega Duke who appears in the DNF artbook?

Probably, it was said that they were using some unused DNF concepts along with new ones.

User is offline   Oook 

View PostLkMax, on 10 December 2011 - 07:10 AM, said:

After C&C4 It's hard to expect anything good from them. Also, how do you know Caneghem will be working on the next installment? (also I never played his games, so he's "neutral" to me). The only thing we have are rumors.

No, no, no. Have you ever entered the C&C website?
About JVC, I can only say good things. He has created some of my very favourite games, but if you don't like RPG or TBS games you probably won't know him.
A interview. C&C future couldn't be better!

LkMax said:

Probably, it was said that they were using some unused DNF concepts along with new ones.

Good! He looks very cool in the artworks.

This post has been edited by Oook: 10 December 2011 - 07:30 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostLkMax, on 09 December 2011 - 05:36 PM, said:

Apparently they integrated the other Multiplayer DLC with the Single-player DLC. "Also, 4 new multiplayer maps"... it's exactly the size of the first dlc.
PS: Of course it's not free, but will probably be cheap.

If you had bothered to read the page it offers descriptions of four different new maps.

View PostGreen, on 09 December 2011 - 07:56 PM, said:

Chris Faylor had this to say on Shacknews:

[Shacknews Comments]

I'm calling bullshit. Released documents say otherwise!

View PostRipemanewone, on 09 December 2011 - 10:35 PM, said:

P.s I think Duke getting cloned is a good plot for a Duke game, the Duke clones in Zero Hour were great although I don't really remember why they were in the game.
The aliens did it, but I think it was just done for fun.

User is offline   Psyrgery 

Still no Bombshell. Fuuuu

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostOook, on 10 December 2011 - 07:23 AM, said:

No, no, no. Have you ever entered the C&C website?
(...)

Yes, have been a while though.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 10 December 2011 - 09:10 AM, said:

If you had bothered to read the page it offers descriptions of four different new maps.
(...)

pfff... Why do you think I didn't read the page? :)
Oh, I see... The "other multiplayer DLC" I was referring to is exactly the... other MP DLC that was not released yet - they planned to release 2 MP and 1 SP DLCs, but probably changed their minds after the bad sales of the first.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options