Duke4.net Forums: Am I the only one? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Am I the only one?

I've recently re-watched (parts of) the DNF unveiling from the first PAX at the end of 2010. Great memories I associate with this event...you know, building up the whole atmosphere. The long queue of people in front of the booth, the pictures of Duke, the very first booth logo. People playing the first time DNF. Everyone booing because they had to play with the XBOX controllers. The annoying 2K Elizabeth and of course the SHACKY camdude.

But also what was on the monitors. You all know: much more DETAILS than the final version of DNF has. Different, more detailed shadows, different kind of Pig-armor, the gibbing and more tiny stuff. Randy's teasing about DNF's secrets, the controls, release date and more.

I don't know really why I made this topic, but somehow I feel I had to do it...

Holy hell.

How come I notice the different pig armor only now?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Gearbox did mention that they were trying to make the game as similar on all platforms as possible. Whether that means making the graphics quality the same I'm not sure, but it's not like they care about the PC gamers, or gamers in general for that matter.
It's called the gaming industry for a reason.

User is offline   ThePinkus 

I remember "Press left to beer" the most

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

I also remember people who were on the floor at PAX saying the graphics sucked and the game still needed a lot of work. They were practically lynched by the online fans. The forum history at Gearbox and duke4.net has some very funny stuff. So few have remained consistent (or remained at all) since then.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 05 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

User is offline   Night Wolf 

Ahh those pigcops looked more badass like that, why did they have to mess with the game so much.
Also am I the only one who preferred the old EDF uniforms?
They actually seemed like futuristic earth defenders.
Gearbox defiantly cut out stuff, they game was just an inconsistent mess in the end.

User is offline   Kathy 

View Postozz, on 05 November 2011 - 06:22 PM, said:

Also am I the only one who preferred the old EDF uniforms?

It seems that everything that was old was better. 1998-2001 DNFs had new enemies and stuff. 2007+ DNF is pretty much a remake in terms of enemies. I guess it was only natural to go down the Doom3 path when you had 10+ years since release of the previous "main" title.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostMad Max RW, on 05 November 2011 - 04:52 PM, said:

I also remember people who were on the floor at PAX saying the graphics sucked and the game still needed a lot of work. They were practically lynched by the online fans. The forum history at Gearbox and duke4.net has some very funny stuff. So few have remained consistent (or remained at all) since then.

I was one of the fools who was hopelessly optimistic that DNF was going to be umbelievable, it had to be right? No, while I did enjoy playing it I sobered up quickly enough, and DNF lingered like a hangover. Still glad I got to play it, I still would have played it had it been 1000 times worse and somehow found some enjoyment through rose tinted glasses.
Running away from that enforcer captain or whatever he's called with that weird b movie horror music while shunk was awesome. The game had inconsistant glimpes of genius, but it can't be forgiven, the sheer amount of shit you could do in Duke 3D that you can't do in DNF is unforgivable and a terrible fail.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 06 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I agree. While by modern standards the game is pretty good, it just sucks in comparison to Duke3D. You still shoot pool the same way, 13 years later.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 07 November 2011 - 12:53 PM, said:

I agree. While by modern standards the game is pretty good, it just sucks in comparison to Duke3D. You still shoot pool the same way, 13 years later.

This is the best example of DNF's shortcomings yet.

I can flick light switches with my finger but I can't pick up a fucking pool cue?

There was zero attention to detail in the finished product.

This post has been edited by Descent: 07 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

And no fucking footprints! Well, I can't remember any blood on the floor either.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostDescent, on 07 November 2011 - 02:20 PM, said:

This is the best example of DNF's shortcomings yet.

I can flick light switches with my finger but I can't pick up a fucking pool cue?

There was zero attention to detail in the finished product.

The absolute worst part, in my opinion, is that the physics on the pool balls are better in Duke3D. This boggles my mind. It took me probably ten hundred tries to win a game of pool in DNF because it's so wonky. You can't tell where you're gonna push the ball, and even then it's not even hitting and moving the other balls in a realistic manner.

I still think the worst "mini-game" is basketball. The physics on that are absolutely atrocious, making it damned near impossible to score. And lets not forget the Alien Abortion whack-a-mole mini-game. You don't even have/use a hammer to hit em. Where's the realism at? At least in Left 4 Dead 2, it actually shows your weapon being used for those type of things (Dark Carnival campaign).

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 08 November 2011 - 12:02 PM

User is offline   ThePinkus 

No Im pretty sure Pinball was the worst
The art on it was shit, the way it was designed was made in a way that its really hard to tell where the paddles are with your peripheral (theres pistols floating right above the paddles that are the same color. They blend together and screw with your eyes) and times when the ball would literally say "fuck it" halfway through a game and just shoot straight down the middle at 99 MPH. The only way I got the ego boost for 300,000 points was to cheat the tilt.
Air Hockey was actually pretty fun. On the PC anyways. On the 360, barely moving the joystick sent Duke's arm flying across the table. It was too hard to play. Oh and the puck has a delayed physics reaction. Your paddle could be halfway through it before it finally reacts. It was still the best minigame IMO

This post has been edited by ThePinkus: 08 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

No way, man, I LOVE air-hockey and that mini-game made me not want to ever play it again. Same deal with the pinball, and while I agree the basketball blows, I found it fairly easy to make to make baskets.

The pinball machine was atrocious.

I'm also surprised by how Duke3D had bloody footprint details, which DNF completely lacks.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View Postmechmorphix616, on 16 November 2011 - 09:24 AM, said:

The pinball machine was atrocious.

Yeah the physics on that thing sucked balls.

User is offline   Martin 

The physics in the game itself were pretty bad, too. Also, the game was pretty bad. We should hereby ban any further mention or discussion of Duke Nukem Forever. If it must be mentioned, it must be referred to as 'Puke Duodenum Fecal-matter" (unless somebody has a better one). God damn, that game fucking sucked! :D

User is offline   Kathy 

Admins can actually change every mention os "DNF" or "Duke Nukem Forever" to whatever they want. Like they did with god.

This post has been edited by Helel: 17 November 2011 - 01:47 AM

View PostHelel, on 07 November 2011 - 03:34 PM, said:

And no fucking footprints!

There was a time... Ahhh well.

User is offline   Psyrgery 

View PostWieder, on 17 November 2011 - 08:53 AM, said:

There was a time... Ahhh well.

I was thinking of you the other day (AMONG OTHER THINGS, OF COURSE, I AM NOT THAT PERVERT!)

When thinking of how epic could have this game been. I made a list of "What happened to this things of the game that got cut out so horribly?" and then I recalled your words when you said how much would you have liked to show the Slick Willly to the DNF community, or something like that.

These where the things I would oh so much wanted to see.
- Where is the single player jetpack?
- Where are the ragdoll octabrains?
- Where is bombshell?
- Where is insane (and useful) interactivity? - By this I meant "Click a code on a vending machine keypad and get a Sandwich to eat for health" not clicking on a tobaco dispenser to toss crap around, or drinking water from fountains adding nothing to the game.
- Where is carrying a total array of weapons?
- Where are the medkits?
- Where are the mod tools?
- Where is the drivable motorbike?
- Where is the drivable boat?
- Where is the drivable jet plane?
- Where are the enemies roaming the maps and not spawning in certain areas out of nowhere?
- Where are the one-liners that did not get old only after 2 hours?
- Where are the possesed humans?
- Where is free-roaming Las Vegas?
- Where are the full-working riot shields?
- Where are the enemies that died in a cool meqon powered ragdoll way leaving blood splatts everywhere (and not only a single splatt per enemy) and with their bodies full of bullet holes?
- Mule? Gus?
- Where are the grabbing-alien-hand thingy from the Jace Hall clips that grabbed that red-glowing-ball thingies?
- Where is the 12-16 hours campaign lenght?
- Where are the cool night levels?

I mean seriously, to me it looks as if the "good pieces" of the game were being made on a work bench, shiny, perfect, ready to end up being a perfect creation, and suddenly decide to discard the good stuff and use defective, crappy and non-working pieces to put them together and god-knows-how-will-this-end-up.

I want the previous builds of the game, those that deserve the Duke Nukem Forever game, not a parody of a poor parody of wrong ideas of good games.

This post has been edited by Psyrgery: 17 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostPsyrgery, on 17 November 2011 - 10:35 AM, said:

- Where is bombshell?
- Where is insane (and useful) interactivity? - By this I meant "Click a code on a vending machine keypad and get a Sandwich to eat for health" not clicking on a tobaco dispenser to toss crap around, or drinking water from fountains adding nothing to the game.
- Where are the medkits?
- Where are the enemies roaming the maps and not spawning in certain areas out of nowhere?
- Where are the enemies that died in a cool meqon powered ragdoll way leaving blood splatts everywhere (and not only a single splatt per enemy) and with their bodies full of bullet holes?
- Mule? Gus?
- Where are the grabbing-alien-hand thingy from the Jace Hall clips that grabbed that red-glowing-ball thingies?

Where is waldo? :D

• Honored Donor

Those things would be nice, but not all of them are essential. I'd settle for a smaller/different list.

Where is the shotgun that doesn't become ineffective at distances beyond the reach of your arm?
Where are the weapons that deal an incredibly weak amount of damage before reloading, meaning that when you reload, you're always still surrounded by enemies.
Where are the weapons that can actually hold ammo, unlike the RPG, which just holds 5 friggen shots. I thought Duke was supposed to wear ammo belts...
Where are the secret areas/levels?
Where are the large intricate levels which require exploration to finish, like e1l3, took me ages to realize to go behind the poster. Not like DNF's levels of which one took 30 seconds and nothing happened before the loading screen came up.
Where are the boss fights which aren't just 'unload your ammo, go to the ammo crate, do quicktime event, and repeat'? And there's a lot of repeating, because once again, the only weapons capable of damaging bosses hold fuck-all ammo.
And yeah where are the medkits and health packs? In fact, where are the ammo pickups? There's not a single ammo pickup, just the weapons themselves, and those stupid crates.

Everything else for me, such as interactivity, would just be a bonus. Although I'd love some proper character development like what would have happened with bombshell.

User is offline   zwieback 

View PostPsyrgery, on 17 November 2011 - 10:35 AM, said:

I was thinking of you the other day (AMONG OTHER THINGS, OF COURSE, I AM NOT THAT PERVERT!)

When thinking of how epic could have this game been. I made a list of "What happened to this things of the game that got cut out so horribly?" and then I recalled your words when you said how much would you have liked to show the Slick Willly to the DNF community, or something like that.

These where the things I would oh so much wanted to see.
- Where is bombshell?
- Where are the medkits?
- Mule? Gus?

I mean seriously, to me it looks as if the "good pieces" of the game were being made on a work bench, shiny, perfect, ready to end up being a perfect creation, and suddenly decide to discard the good stuff and use defective, crappy and non-working pieces to put them together and god-knows-how-will-this-end-up.

I want the previous builds of the game, those that deserve the Duke Nukem Forever game, not a parody of a poor parody of wrong ideas of good games.

and you sir just pointed out why dnf isn't the game we all expected.
i'm still in denial that it is actually that bad, but here is the list.. right in front of my eyes ;(

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I can tell you guys exactly what happened to Bombshell. They never even constructed her in the era between 2007 and 2010. That's why we got that fuckhead Dylan instead. They took the male EDF body and swapped the head. There ya go, Dylan. Same goes for GUS no doubt, and the mule. Which really makes the entire ghost town area seem really empty. I mean... There's NOTHING there man! It's totally devoid of any character...

View PostCommando Nukem, on 19 November 2011 - 05:01 AM, said:

Which really makes the entire ghost town area seem really empty. I mean... There's NOTHING there man! It's totally devoid of any character...

The sad thing is, Ghost Town is the only level where we have something remotely close to "exploration". If looking behind a saloon and entering a cabin with an erotic magazine in it counts as exploration.

This post has been edited by mechmorphix616: 19 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

User is offline   ---- 

View Postmechmorphix616, on 19 November 2011 - 09:07 AM, said:

The sad thing is, Ghost Town is the only level where we have something remotely close to "exploration". If looking behind a saloon and entering a cabin with an erotic magazine in it counts as exploration.

The main problem with the game is that the only level with exploration is the Titty City. Unfortuantely it is only a dream and somehow there are no enemies.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I found Titty City to also be the most boring level of all.

• Honored Donor

The problem with exploration is even if DNF did have it, what would be the reward? In Duke 3D, we were rewarded with health, weapons and ammo. In Forever, health is regenerating, we can only hold 2 (maybe 4) weapons, and the weapons hold almost no ammo. Seriously, the closest thing to a reward DNF could give us for exploration is the option to give up one of our guns for a slightly better gun that we'd just have to exchange again two minutes later anyway...

User is offline   ---- 

Another sad thing is that even Crysis 2 (a game I found so boring that I quit after struggling through two thirds and watched the rest on youtube) had some ideas that would have fit Duke Nukem which DNF didn't have.

One thing is that you can rip out the stationary turrets and walk around with them. Would have fit DN perfectly IMHO.

The second thing is that you can kick around the cars and car wrecks to crush enemies or even use it as cover being kicked towards the enemies' hideouts (if you prefer the cover style) ... OK, it was powered by some nanosuit, but at least you could kick anytime you wanted. In DNF you can't even do that although I remember something like the mighty boot/foot in the original.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 19 November 2011 - 04:34 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options