Duke4.net Forums: They say Rage totally failed the pc gamers. - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

They say Rage totally failed the pc gamers.

User is offline   Martin 

Mac moved over to x86 in January of 2006. So a long time, now. The only thing stopping a fuck-ton of games being released on Mac is game developer's apparent dependence on DirectX, which is a pity. I don't see why OpenGL doesn't get way more love. I'm guessing it's what the PS3 uses, and nobody ever sights API difficulties between consoles.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

DirectX isn't as big a hurdle as you may think. Pretty much all the game porting studios Such as Aspyr and Feral Interactive have their own suite of DirectX to OpenGL, OpenAL, SDL, etc. software that they use to port games to the Mac. If anything the excuse is the smaller market. But even that has been turning around and more and more games are being ported. One can even use software like WINE to roll up their own games for Mac although unlike Linux Mac actually has official support from a growing number of companies. Such as Valve and Ubisoft who are doing their own native ports now.. and Epic who have just released the UE3\UDK support for OS X.... so companies and indie studios using the Unreal Engine can now output to OS X without having a porting studio do the work for them.

Also more digital distribution channels such as Steam and Apple's Mac App store have opened up for Mac recently which have doubled the revenue of certain companies like Feral Interactive so they seem to be ramping up production with at least half a dozen titles coming either this year or next... most of which where originally DirectX titles. It's unknown how many new titles Aspyr are working on porting having completed DNF for Mac recently as they are more tight lipped about what they are up to until it's close to time to release although they assured me there are more "irons in the fire" and some are even going to be released before this year is through.

That's kind of a problem on Mac though especially on Steam where many titles aren't listed as coming until the day they are released out of the blue.

Other alternative OS' on the other hand have almost literally no official games support outside indie games.

By the way... The PS3 has a version of OpenGL ES but most companies don't use it especially the big ones. Kind of like how the dreamcast had Windows CE but hardly any companies used it.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 22 October 2011 - 06:11 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMartin, on 22 October 2011 - 01:12 AM, said:

Mac moved over to x86 in January of 2006. So a long time, now.

Yet MacOS isn't supported on PC.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 21 October 2011 - 02:09 PM, said:

They actually patched the game and GPU drivers pretty quickly. It took two months for Gearbox to update DNF and it still looks like shit.

At least GBX doen't go on interviews and say we don't care about PC users any more like Carmack did !

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostEvilEmperorZoRG {GR}, on 22 October 2011 - 11:56 AM, said:

At least GBX doen't go on interviews and say we don't care about PC users any more like Carmack did !

Lol, not only has Carmack said that PC users would be getting PC-specific updates such as high-resolution textures but modtools should also be on the way. Not to mention that Rage caters way less to the average consolist than DNF does.

User is offline   Martin 

View PostHelel, on 22 October 2011 - 09:14 AM, said:

Yet MacOS isn't supported on PC.

Torrent 'Hackintosh'. Consider joining a private torrent site for maximum success. It's obviously not the best situation (ie; Apple officially providing OS X for PCs), but it's the best you're going to get at the moment. I have Snow Leapord on my PC :(

User is offline   Kathy 

"Hackintosh" is not a supported solution. It's just a hack. People are able to install Windows on PS3 for example.

User is offline   Martin 

Well OK, but you can get OS X up-and-running on a PC.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

It's a pain in the ass. I've done it before.

User is offline   Martin 

Yup. It is, but it's worth it if you're into your Logic and such and don't wish to pay through the nose for a Mac which you can't really do much with to upgrade. I'd rather spend £600 on a nice PC and go through the hassle of getting OS X running on it than buy the equivalent Mac for £1,500.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Are you kidding? My family got a mac in 2006, we still have it today, 5 years later, running the latest operating system, and it's still lightning fast (fastest in my entire house and school which all have newer PCs). Great value for money IMO. Only upgraded the RAM once (it wasn't that hard either.)

Yeah a lot of people forget there's more to Apple markup then their logo. Their systems are arguably the most reliable out there and last damn near forever, especially their laptops.

User is offline   Martin 

Consider that your mileage from their products doesn't represent the whole picture. I have known screens on MacBooks to malfunction in particular. The extra reliability comes from the OS, as Windows is arguably a piece of bloated malware/spyware which quickly falls prey to viruses. OS X doesn't. I've had software problems with Windows PCs, but hardware issues (for me) have shown no greater frequency than that of Apple computers.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMartin, on 22 October 2011 - 08:57 PM, said:

Well OK, but you can get OS X up-and-running on a PC.

What? A Mac is a PC.

User is offline   Martin 

Clever Trevor.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 23 October 2011 - 07:50 PM, said:

What? A Mac is a PC.

Not really, only about 90% so. Macs have a custom EFI implementation and most PC motherboards still use a traditional BIOS. More and more high end boards are gaining EFI support, though.

This is why when you go to install OSx86 there are different kernel versions, i.e. vanilla, patched, etc. because of the inherit EFI/BIOS difference between the platforms.

OS X also has limited hardware support because it's a closed ecosystem. So loading OS X onto PC hardware can be difficult.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I hate to say it but technical stuff aside Captain Awesome is correct. PC stands for Personal Computer and a Mac is a personal computer... it's just a particular brand of one. Personal computer doesn't really mean non-apple even though many have come to think of it as commodity hardware running Windows.

User is offline   Kathy 

As a gaming hardware platform PC means IBM-PC.

User is offline   Engel220 

RAGE has been running great for me since the update, and I really enjoy it. It's not as open-world as some thought, but I've still enjoyed the experience of RAGE and hopefully it will serve as a learning curve for the next id release to make sure these kinds of issues are kept to a minimum.

User is offline   Martin 

View PostTetsuo, on 23 October 2011 - 10:21 PM, said:

I hate to say it but technical stuff aside Captain Awesome is correct. PC stands for Personal Computer and a Mac is a personal computer... it's just a particular brand of one. Personal computer doesn't really mean non-apple even though many have come to think of it as commodity hardware running Windows.

Of course, but that's just being pedantic. The general nomenclature is that PC refers to a standard personal computer that is designed to be upgradeable, and accept a variety of OSs, whilst a Mac is just a Mac. The fact is that all are PCs, but nobody really cares and it's easier to refer to them in the aforementioned way.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Bah, there are just as many if not more PCs floating out there that are not designed to be upgradable at least not user upgradable. One can also install Windows, Linux, etc. on a Mac even more so now that it has intel but there are even PowerPC variants of several OS including obscure ones. But you are right about one thing.. nobody really cares... except computer geeks.

Also IBM-PC.. really? IBM hardly even makes PCs any more and for a time where even making PowerPC CPUs for Apple. As far as I can tell they even spun off their PC making division. Everyone and their grandma started cloning IBM-PCs and they practically fell into obscurity as far as that market goes.

But yeah, most of the time when a person refers to a PC they are referring to a Wintel Personal Comptuer.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 24 October 2011 - 03:58 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostEngel220, on 24 October 2011 - 02:02 AM, said:

RAGE has been running great for me since the update, and I really enjoy it. It's not as open-world as some thought, but I've still enjoyed the experience of RAGE and hopefully it will serve as a learning curve for the next id release to make sure these kinds of issues are kept to a minimum.

Holy cow, an on-topic post! Posted ImagePosted Image

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostTetsuo, on 24 October 2011 - 03:51 AM, said:

Also IBM-PC.. really? IBM hardly even makes PCs any more and for a time where even making PowerPC CPUs for Apple. As far as I can tell they even spun off their PC making division. Everyone and their grandma started cloning IBM-PCs and they practically fell into obscurity as far as that market goes.

IBM-PC compatible as a standard. Of course I didn't mean literally PC developed by IBM.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I also implied IBM Compatible is a non-issue. Nobody uses IBM-PC Compatible to describe a computer any more and they've all evolved quite a bit since they last did. Including Macs which again now run on x86 (or 64) but use EFI instead of Bios.... yet can still run all the same OS except with Mac OS being the main officially supported OS. Some people have even *gasp* removed Mac OS and only kept other OS (like Windows 7) installed on there. As indicated they've even started using EFI on PCs (and have for certain models for a while now). The line is now blurry.... of course if we all shift towards devices with ARM CPUs like some predict on there it'll be even more irrelevant. :(

Again if anything a person implies Wintel (Windows on Intel) when they say PC.

Anyway, I was late to the Rage "party" and I'm still waiting for it to download.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 24 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

User is offline   Martin 

View PostTetsuo, on 24 October 2011 - 02:09 PM, said:

Again if anything a person implies Wintel (Windows on Intel) when they say PC.

I don't quite a agree. Most people see Linux as a 'PC operating system', and Linux PCs as just.. PCs.

User is offline   Kyphros 

View PostMartin, on 24 October 2011 - 10:19 PM, said:

I don't quite a agree. Most people see Linux as a 'PC operating system', and Linux PCs as just.. PCs.

Agreed.
Also, people don't imply Wintel because they don't even know their CPU brand, and AMD PCs exist too.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

You are conflating just average people with people who care. It really depends on what kind of people we are talking about.... and we don't represent the average person running to their local mart for a computer.

I'm talking about the average joe six pack who probably doesn't even know what Linux is. OK fine to be honest he probably wouldn't know what intel is either and if we have to be totally pedantic like was said earlier a PC to them is just a box that runs Windows... period. They went to their local mart and got a mediocre off the shelf PC... preloaded with Windows.

Certain people around here wouldn't have had any exposure to Mac or Linux if it weren't for me and have even asked what kind of Windows my Mac runs.

I'm well aware of AMD CPUs... :(

Point is who the hell goes to their local store and asks for an IBM-PC any more? Nobody that's who!

And PC stands for Personal Computer... can you refute that? :(

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 25 October 2011 - 05:00 AM

User is offline   Kyphros 

Soooo...

I played Rage.

After downloading new drivers and patching some things by myself, I managed to get a decent performance.

The game was approximately 12 hours long in Nightmare mode, and I died 5 times only.
They call that "nightmare"? Really?
Even in Let's rock! difficulty, I would've died more in DN3D (because of stupid things, but still).
I had so much various items that I never missed anything needed in a recipe; I never lacked any munitions (except the missiles for the car), I always had a few grenades/bandages, etc.
The difficulty level is pitiful, really.
And, honestly, at first it just felt like Borderlands without Cel Shading and then, in the end, it was just HL2 (Combine-like enemies, impossible not to see the inspiration) with a Crysis-like alien architecture.

Also there's one thing that bugged me beyond imagination, it's the fact that I couldn't make people speak faster. I died once in Dead City, just after seeing Kvasir. I HAD TO LISTEN TO HIM TALKING AGAIN OH GOD IT WAS ANNOYING

Other than that, it was quite fun.

User is offline   Night Wolf 

The games meh ... the shooting, animations, and graphics are quite impressive, but the game itself is plagued by invisible walls,
theres no freedom of exploration even with simple things like jumping ontop of a slab of concrete, its like your on rails the entire time.
and that ending (if you can even call it that)....most unsatisfying ending I've ever experienced.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options