Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Forever on Garry's Mod - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Forever on Garry's Mod

User is offline   N64 

I only found this files on the net, i did not rip them, i did not repubblish them, so i have no faults at all.

http://www.garrysmod...=view&id=123617
http://www.garrysmod...=view&id=124200
http://www.garrysmod...=view&id=124160
http://www.garrysmod...=view&id=125037

http://www.facepunch...threads/1094134

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by angelo86: 17 October 2011 - 03:08 AM

User is offline   N64 

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Graphics are better than DNF, haha. Duke does have some good expressions in some of the pics though, kind of disappointed that after all this time, DNF didn't have a proper facial animation system. Yet another thing that's been in other games for years that wasn't in DNF.

User is offline   Lunick 

Yeah, this was a little while ago as I played with the Octaking a bit :(

User is offline   Oook 

View Postangelo86, on 17 October 2011 - 03:34 AM, said:

Brilliant!

User is offline   Loke 

View Postangelo86, on 17 October 2011 - 03:34 AM, said:

Posted Image

Duke's reaction after playing DNF.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Which model pack contains the rag doll of Duke Nukem (if it even has a rag doll) so I can make a NPC out of this?

User is offline   N64 

View PostThe Commander, on 17 October 2011 - 12:32 PM, said:

Which model pack contains the rag doll of Duke Nukem (if it even has a rag doll) so I can make a NPC out of this?

I do not know. Try to search or ask in the forum. http://www.facepunch...threads/1094134
With these models you can make a mod for Half-Life 2 ...but it is illegal ...sigh...
With this map...

http://www.fileplane...00/203255.shtml

Or they...

http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/52549
Posted Image

You can recreate the DNF of 2001

http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/112212
Posted Image

You can create a real DNF...

This post has been edited by angelo86: 18 October 2011 - 02:11 AM

User is offline   thatguy 

DNF should of used the Source engine or took a year to port to the latest Unreal Engine before released. Seriously, all those models look amazing with decent material tweak and great lighting system. Now that looks like Duke Nukem 3d, not the DNF that looks like a plastic Duke game confused with Doom 3.

Edit: I really can't understand how I was downvoted in reputation from what I said since what I said is an obvious truth. Did I REALLY hurt someone's feelings?

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 03 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

User is offline   CruX 

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 03 January 2012 - 01:13 AM, said:

Edit: I really can't understand how I was downvoted in reputation from what I said since what I said is an obvious truth. Did I REALLY hurt someone's feelings?

You'd be amazed. Upvoted accordingly.

User is offline   Martin 

I like the one where he's got multiple cigars in his mouth.

DNF should of used the Source engine or took a year to port to the latest Unreal Engine before released. Seriously, all those models look amazing with decent material tweak and great lighting system. Now that looks like Duke Nukem 3d, not the DNF that looks like a plastic Duke game confused with Doom 3.

I see someone upped you back to neutral, but I'm afraid I had to downvote you for caring about downvotes, and also for being arrogant enough to call a subjective opinion "an obvious truth". For some reason it annoys me when people get scatty about the vote feedback system, in particular when they whine about receiving a downvote. It just shows poor character, and you shouldn't do it. Someone disagreed with your post, and downvoted you for it. You basically imply that some faggot got hurt feelings, yet it's you who's doing the whining. Take your downvote like a man, and move on. Feel free to downvote me :unsure:

This post has been edited by Martin: 03 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

View PostMartin, on 03 January 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

I see someone upped you back to neutral, but I'm afraid I had to downvote you for caring about downvotes, and also for being arrogant enough to call a subjective opinion "an obvious truth". For some reason it annoys me when people get scatty about the vote feedback system, in particular when they whine about receiving a downvote. It just shows poor character, and you shouldn't do it. Someone disagreed with your post, and downvoted you for it. You basically imply that some faggot got hurt feelings, yet it's you who's doing the whining. Take your downvote like a man, and move on. Feel free to downvote me :unsure:

First off, I don't care about downvotes, though its reasonable to not like seeing a -1 right below your name. Arrogant? sure, but it is still an obvious truth that a game that took so long to be developed because they kept switching engines still looks ugly with a lack of effort to keep the engine up to date (not to mention the lack of artistic ability to not make everything look like a glossy mess). Look at these screenshots in the OP, they look natural and beautiful, something we would expect from pretty much any game post 2010. I remember when the DX9 was becoming quite popular in games, with the excessive use of bump/normal maps, excessive specularity/gloss, bloom up the wazzoo, etc. Again, its an obvious truth.

You say its poor character to talk about downvoting, but I think everything you just said was in absolute poor taste. Using the F word which I find absolutely offensive. I'm not going to stoop to the level you have. I won't downvote you, because I find the use of downvoting in poor taste unless its someone trolling or really terrifying the community.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 03 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

User is offline   Martin 

Spoiler

A reply to s.b.Newsom. I've spoilered it because I'm concerned about derailing the topic. I got too caught up in our private debate and didn't initially consider that. Anyway, it's for his eyes only!

This post has been edited by Martin: 03 January 2012 - 11:12 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

I wonder if they have ported the DLC content yet?

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Stupid idea. It's not that simple to switch engines. An engine switch wouldn't have made the game significantly better anyway, certainly not a switch to the Source engine. The expected increase in sales would have had to justify paying the salaries of dozens of people over a year.

User is offline   Martin 

I think he meant it's make the game look better, not actually be better.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 04 January 2012 - 06:12 AM, said:

Stupid idea. It's not that simple to switch engines. An engine switch wouldn't have made the game significantly better anyway, certainly not a switch to the Source engine. The expected increase in sales would have had to justify paying the salaries of dozens of people over a year.

You do realize that this is the longest developed game that ended up being a steaming pile (Lack of real polish) in the end. How many games do you know that take this long, cost this much, and still look and play this bad in the end? This game is the product of the very idea that 'time =/= quality'. So what is another engine change going to do? If they had a responsible team, not long. Porting assets isn't an issue with modern tools, just open source and export or if its the case of using the unreal engine.....not much is needed to do. The only real issue with porting from a slightly older unreal to a new one is fixing programming syntax's if changed.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 04 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

User is offline   Martin 

I think it's interesting that you mention 'polishing' and 'steaming pile' when referring to DNF. You know what they say about polishing turds! Perhaps that was the problem, or one of the main issues - the game was always shit and rather than make a good game, they just spent years trying in vain to polish a turd.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostMartin, on 04 January 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

I think he meant it's make the game look better, not actually be better.

Yeah, but other things being equal, better graphics make the game better.

The point I was making is that making the graphics look a bit better wouldn't be worth the extra costs. Of course, they should have gotten them right from the start or rather released the game at least four years ago but what's done is done.

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 04 January 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

So what is another engine change going to do? If they had a responsible team, not long. Porting assets isn't an issue with modern tools, just open source and export or if its the case of using the unreal engine.....not much is needed to do. The only real issue with porting from a slightly older unreal to a new one is fixing programming syntax's if changed.

Well I was going by the timeframe you gave (one year). And as far as I know, switching engines isn't enough to make blurry low-resolution textures look good. So it'd have required more than just a "simple" switch of engines and at the end of the day it wouldn't have changed what was essentially a messy game.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 04 January 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

Yeah, but other things being equal, better graphics make the game better.

The point I was making is that making the graphics look a bit better wouldn't be worth the extra costs. Of course, they should have gotten them right from the start or rather released the game at least four years ago but what's done is done.

Indeed, but it doesn't change the fact that everything but the engine looked great. They should of gotten it right from the beginning but that doesn't have to be the case since they were using the Unreal Engine 3, which portability to the new versions is a lot easier than porting to a completely new engine. What I'm saying is the outdated version of the engine was the downfall for a lot of people because it looked like a bright Doom 3. Think about it this way, you are at an Up-Scale Art Gallery. Each artist is given the ability to light their piece the way they want. Each piece has its own unique look to demonstrate the painting. One bright with soft shadows, another with harsh tones and dark deep sharp shadows. Duke Nukem 4eva looked as if there was no choice. It was stuck on one setting, harsh dark shadows, contrasty and shiny. Engines nowadays offer so much control over how everything should look, borderline 'Painting-like'.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 04 January 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

Well I was going by the timeframe you gave (one year). And as far as I know, switching engines isn't enough to make blurry low-resolution textures look good. So it'd have required more than just a "simple" switch of engines and at the end of the day it wouldn't have changed what was essentially a messy game.

You're right....though it would of been nice if the project was put on hold from the very beginning until technology really was the point of pure beauty. They would of saved a load of money and focused on other games during the time, not to mention the design document would of been fully realized and perfect by the time they would attempt to make the game. Yet they spent so long switching, redoing, revisiting, breaking, fixing, etc.

Graphics means a lot when they aren't consistent with the technology of the time. Its like making a game on BUILD, with horrible maps, nothing new, and same old monsters and sell it for $50-$60. Graphics do mean a lot when it is suppose to be a AAA title, especially when its Duke. Seriously, what does duke offer besides killing and interactivity? Graphics. Not to mention, Duke4 was demonstrated to be action packed with lots of interactivity. What we got was all the interactivity in the beginning of the game and the rest being.....just action.

Again, my point was that it wouldn't take so long to update the engine to the latest build of Unreal with a select team to tweak the materials and rerender the environments to look great. Look at Gears 2, or even Gears 3. Each a new update for the engine. All the models, the levels and so on are well done.....it just doesn't benefit from the outdated graphical software.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 04 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

• Honored Donor

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 04 January 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

You're right....though it would of been nice if the project was put on hold from the very beginning until technology really was the point of pure beauty. They would of saved a load of money and focused on other games during the time, not to mention the design document would of been fully realized and perfect by the time they would attempt to make the game. Yet they spent so long switching, redoing, revisiting, breaking, fixing, etc.

Graphics means a lot when they aren't consistent with the technology of the time. Its like making a game on BUILD, with horrible maps, nothing new, and same old monsters and sell it for $50-$60. Graphics do mean a lot when it is suppose to be a AAA title, especially when its Duke. Seriously, what does duke offer besides killing and interactivity? Graphics. Not to mention, Duke4 was demonstrated to be action packed with lots of interactivity. What we got was all the interactivity in the beginning of the game and the rest being.....just action.

Again, my point was that it wouldn't take so long to update the engine to the latest build of Unreal with a select team to tweak the materials and rerender the environments to look great. Look at Gears 2, or even Gears 3. Each a new update for the engine. All the models, the levels and so on are well done.....it just doesn't benefit from the outdated graphical software.

And even then it doesn't offer that much action. Most of the time, you get a small handful of enemies in a room, then you're wandering about for several minutes. You ask what does Duke offer besides killing and interactivity? I say it doesn't even offer those two things. There are many other games out there that do a lot of the things Duke tries to do, but a lot better. When I think interactivity, I don't think playing frustrating pinball or airhockey mini games, I think level destructibility, being able to interact with all the game objects (e.g pick them up, throw them, break them and other things) and games have been doing these things for years. As for humour, there are games that do that as well. Bulletstorm is an example of something similar to Duke, even though I've only played the demo. Duke Nukem has absolutely nothing to make it stand out from the crowd, nothing at all, and combined with its lack of polish, dated graphics, broken gameplay (unbalanced weapons and enemies, linear levels, two weapon limit, regen health, and it wouldn't even be bad if the game did these things well, but it doesn't), and complete and utter unoriginality in almost every aspect of the game, this is why DNF was hit so hard in the ratings.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 04 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

^Agreed. lol
I was outside on a smoke break and Duke 4 (the best way to do it) popped into my head. Things that could of been done and still rake in the cash and reviews. I'm doing it as a list even though this is getting a little off topic. lol
  • Episodes. The best thing about using episodes is that it gives the developers and idea that you don't have to work within a confined idea of where the game takes place. Duke3d, each episode took place in completely different locations, each ending in a place that transitions to the next episode. LA, Space, and Duke 1 'Shrapnel City'. Also it keeps the same formula/feel the first three games started. Sure episodes are used for episodic games but look at Alan Wake and Deadly Premonition. Episodes can just fit the theme or the feel of what you are trying to accomplish.
  • Non-linear wide open maps that feel like an environment and not an interactive stageplay. Duke 3d didn't have cutscenes really, the everything was first person, none-stop exploration, action and adventure. It didn't feel like there was an imminent fear or end-game goal floating around your head. Duke3d felt someone felt like what Myst started. You start out in the map, and you explore to figure out how to end the level. Weird I know but somehow that was what made Duke 3d awesome.
  • Interactivity and level specific interactivity - Pissing in the toilet, Interactive Vending Machines, Giving money to a hooker/stripper, microwaving anything and more that doesn't stay exclusive to just a select amount of levels. Also each level should be a unique romp and theme. Duke3d pretty much made each level a spoof of something.
  • Story - Just develop a generic story that doesn't force the player to care much. Your goal, eff over the villains of the story. It was bad enough they cut out the female partner in the game, yet the game still felt like a linear generic FPS. A loose generic unimportant story would allow designs to go rampant on their creativity, making each level as memorable as the last.
  • FIRST PERSON! Seriously, why the hell did they have to mix 3rd and first? Totally killed the meaning of Duke. Just like Half-Life going third, Duke3d set the playfield and Duke4 destroyed it.
  • Don't overuse scripted sequences - because of this every monster feels as if it had to be scripted in to exist, therefore cutting down how many enemies can be on screen or used. Just dump a shit load of monsters in a room and have the player kill them for pete sake.
  • Ranting ranting ranting

The thing is, 3d realms kept sending C&D's to modders who most likely would of made a great Duke product let alone a modern remake of Duke3d. Oh well. I'm done. :unsure:

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 04 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

• Honored Donor

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 04 January 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

Don't overuse scripted sequences - because of this every monster feels as if it had to be scripted in to exist, therefore cutting down how many enemies can be on screen or used. Just dump a shit load of monsters in a room and have the player kill them for pete sake.

This is a big one. In Duke 3D, there was actually motivation to kill enemies, because you were actually clearing out the level and getting rid of them. Now, there are no enemies in the level, but instead they teleport in or drop down from a ship. So the whole thing feels pointless, because if you just kill some enemies, more could just come in at any time from nowhere. Of course if the levels were non linear, then you'd want them to come back in some places if you've already cleared out an area, but in DNF, enemies just feel like a nuisance stopping you from finishing the level (since finishing the level was the goal). In Duke 3D, wiping out aliens was the goal. It was fun. DNF would at least be fun if you didn't lose all your ego and have to hide behind a rock every 5 seconds.

View PostMicky C, on 04 January 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

This is a big one. In Duke 3D, there was actually motivation to kill enemies, because you were actually clearing out the level and getting rid of them. Now, there are no enemies in the level, but instead they teleport in or drop down from a ship. So the whole thing feels pointless, because if you just kill some enemies, more could just come in at any time from nowhere. Of course if the levels were non linear, then you'd want them to come back in some places if you've already cleared out an area, but in DNF, enemies just feel like a nuisance stopping you from finishing the level (since finishing the level was the goal). In Duke 3D, wiping out aliens was the goal. It was fun. DNF would at least be fun if you didn't lose all your ego and have to hide behind a rock every 5 seconds.

Not to mention a lot of the levels were pretty big in DNF so you pretty much didn't want to backtrack or explore. In DN3D the levels were a good size depending on the level designer and fully utilized the size limits of the maps. Pipe dreams. :unsure:

I made something like your one.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by sheridanm962: 13 January 2012 - 10:53 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

One thing, where are the glasses? I can't find them in the dat package.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options