Duke4.net Forums: Where Did You Get Your DNF Copy? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where Did You Get Your DNF Copy?

So I saw this area is quit dead, so I made this little thing.
Where did you get your copy of DNF from? What store? Steam? Online Shopping spree? Or just given to secondhand for free?

My story will be quit funny. I remember the day in 2011 when DNF was finally released. My mom of all peolpe showed me a Toys-R-Us ad that had the game priced for $60 plus a free $15 valued action figure included. I was sold. DNF would be the most expensive game (s) I have bought so far. A few months later a bought the Balls of Steel Edition selling high for $80 at a local Gamestop.Yep call me a sucker, but I don't care because it was Duke and I never saw any collector items for a Duke game before, so I climbed boarded. Only to be pissed off when I finished the game the same day I paid so much for, but I've learned to live with it. My game system I bought it for is the Xbox 360.

This post has been edited by AP Dukefan94: 03 November 2016 - 12:16 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I think I bought a store copy. My brother got the BOS edition and then gave it to me years later after he moved to Texas.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I was gifted it on Steam during a winter sale. I later bought the DLCs on my own.

User is offline   MetHy 

I paid full price on Steam at release.

No regrets.

Can't believe it's already been more than 5 years.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I had to walk into a store and buy it, just for the experience. I was going to buy it at the local PC World store, as that is where I purchased my original copy of the Atomic Edition. I was in town and had the money so said "Sod it, I'm getting it".

I thought the game was a mess, but I don't regret buying or playing it. I regret that after 13 years, they couldn't have delivered something less broken and crap.

It's kind of sad that Duke reached his peak back in 1996, and after all that time, and multiple attempts, nothing has come close to filling the gap.

I brought it in GAME day one. I defended the game for quite a while back then, but after replaying it this year, it's definitely a mixed bag. I got both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game for £2 last month and checked how they played, and they're pretty much borderline unplayable compared to the PC version. I still stand by my opinion on the Duke Burger shrink level being the best part of the game. One thing I think the game has in its favour is variety. Sure, it's not good all the time, but it helps keep things fresh, and I appreciate the single-player campaign actually being long in this day and age.

User is offline   Kathy 

If I remember correctly I've bought Steam key on Gamersgate or something similar since it wasn't available in my region prior to release.

User is offline   petrus 

I haven't got DNF yet, still waiting for it to appear on GOG!

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It won't. It's a Steamworks game.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I pre ordered a Balls of Steel Edition for Xbox 360 and a King Edition each for PC & PS3 from EB Games.

It's amazing how back then in 2011 I was willing to pay hundreds of dollars to get my hands on Duke stuff, yet now in 2016 I refuse to touch the latest release of the best game in the series.

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 03 November 2016 - 07:37 PM

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

View PostxMobilemux, on 03 November 2016 - 07:36 PM, said:

It's amazing how back then in 2011 I was willing to pay hundreds of dollars to get my hands on Duke stuff, yet now in 2016 I refuse to touch the latest release of the best game in the series.

That's just the Gearbox touch! It went from an incompetent company who was getting their shit together to release something but at the very least knew the franchise, I imagine if people complained about a lot of what we did prior to release 3D Realms would have changed it like the two weapon system and other stuff to Gearbox/Triptych who took an alpha and just threw it together the best they could leaving a huge amount of placeholder assets, unused code, a narrative that makes zero sense and recycled content DLC. DNF was never finished. What we have a polished alpha headed by Gearbox who while capable in the past of delivering something entertaining no longer seem capable of it and have no idea about the franchise. A huge complaint even by fans around the time DNF was released with all the marketing was that they focused way too hard on dirty humor, sex, shit and all those elements that shouldn't be blown out of proportion, even Broussard complained about it after release on Twitter.

The franchise is mismanaged heavily. Give it to Voidpoint, hire Broussard/Miller as producers or as some kind of advisers, listen to fans, give it to an interested third party with a development plan overseen by people who know the franchise, port/remake old titles and gain reception from that as a way to help direct the franchise and gain feedback, whatever. There's so many things they can do but it just won't happen.

Randy is stubborn and refuses to believe anything that anyone says. Constructive criticism is wasted on the man with his fingers in his ears and a blindfold on screaming NO NO NO.

Best case scenario would be Broussard/Miller and other old 3DR guys producing and a third party developing. Get something like Zero Hour or Manhattan Project out of it at the worst. That will never happen so we should just hope Pitchford figures out the franchise one day.

We're getting Duke from a company who makes the disc art this after people have been complaining about how stupid the humor was in Forever and how it needs to be less of a focus. At least the levels were good.

Posted Image

View PostHiPolyBash, on 03 November 2016 - 08:27 PM, said:

That's just the Gearbox touch! It went from an incompetent company who was getting their shit together to release something but at the very least knew the franchise, I imagine if people complained about a lot of what we did prior to release 3D Realms would have changed it like the two weapon system and other stuff to Gearbox/Triptych who took an alpha and just threw it together the best they could leaving a huge amount of placeholder assets, unused code, a narrative that makes zero sense and recycled content DLC. DNF was never finished. What we have a polished alpha headed by Gearbox who while capable in the past of delivering something entertaining no longer seem capable of it and have no idea about the franchise. A huge complaint even by fans around the time DNF was released with all the marketing was that they focused way too hard on dirty humor, sex, shit and all those elements that shouldn't be blown out of proportion, even Broussard complained about it after release on Twitter.

The franchise is mismanaged heavily. Give it to Voidpoint, hire Broussard/Miller as producers or as some kind of advisers, listen to fans, give it to an interested third party with a development plan overseen by people who know the franchise, port/remake old titles and gain reception from that as a way to help direct the franchise and gain feedback, whatever. There's so many things they can do but it just won't happen.

Randy is stubborn and refuses to believe anything that anyone says. Constructive criticism is wasted on the man with his fingers in his ears and a blindfold on screaming NO NO NO.

Best case scenario would be Broussard/Miller and other old 3DR guys producing and a third party developing. Get something like Zero Hour or Manhattan Project out of it at the worst. That will never happen so we should just hope Pitchford figures out the franchise one day.

We're getting Duke from a company who makes the disc art this after people have been complaining about how stupid the humor was in Forever and how it needs to be less of a focus. At least the levels were good.

Posted Image

Damn right, but I'm willing to see what Gearbox is gonna do, I'll just wait a couple of weeks for the price to drop, unless it's good enough.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 November 2016 - 03:16 PM, said:

It won't. It's a Steamworks game.

It might, if Gearbox are willing to do the work. Which they won't of course. And probably they wouldn't have even if there was no Steamworks.

It was a gift from a friend, he send me the Steam key so I didn't know for what game it is. Of course he knew how much I hated DNF since release day, so he pulled the joke perfectly. I later bought the DLC because it had slightly better reviews than the main game.

Also, I nearly bought mint copy of Collector's Edition for X360 last month for less than half the original price. Decided against it because while the figurine looks decent and I'm curious of the artbook, I don't want to spend that much money on game which broke my dumb nerd heart.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Full price of Steam copy and the DLC, no regrets too. Gearbox's PR/marketing stunts is other problem, blaming them or 3DR/Broussard/Miller doesn't changes any shit happened already so just let it go. And I don't care Randy the entertainer anymore. ;)

No, Gearbox Shovelware still not prove theirself yet in my own view. Hope still on there, but with the laziness in WT port, I lost some of it, hope it won't totally become non-exist when Gearbox finally do something new about DN IP...

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 04 November 2016 - 09:23 AM

Balls of Steel 360 version from Amazon, and PC physical release from Amazon after I got a new PC a year later. (Physical version is just a steam key in the DVD case and a disc which I didn't use)

Gotta love that Carpe Nukem mini bust.

Always bet on Duuuuke

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options