Duke4.net Forums: "Bad Weekend" crash - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Bad Weekend" crash

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I was checking out Mister Sinister's "Bad Weekend" episode. When trying to enter the fourth level "To the Streets" (1d_club.map or its harder version, 1d_clubh.map), I had a crash to desktop every time I tried to enter the map. Also loading the level separately via user maps didn't improve anything.

Used EDuke32 build/config:
EDuke32 2.0.0devel r5338 (64-bit)
Windows 10 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4770K @3.50 GHz, 16 GB RAM
nvidia GeForce GTX 770 (ForceWare 355.82)

Find the problematic maps in the attachment. Unsure if it's a problem with the map or EDuke32.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 03 September 2015 - 12:22 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Does it happen for you when loaded in a vanilla copy of EDuke32 without any mods or anything loaded? I'm not able to reproduce the crash with just those map files. Since you seem to indicate that it crashes at load time for you, I'm assuming being able to play the map at all is inconsistent with what you're seeing...

• The Truth is in here

The map apparently only crashes when used with the files that came with the mod. As a standalone, it seems to run fine.

I think it has something to do with .ogg music I put in there and the next level as well. Oddly enough, newer version of EDuke seem to crash whenever loading up .ogg files. The same thing have happened during the development of Death Drive, that's why I went with .wav. Thanks for noticing, I completely forgot about this.
Also this is really weird to see somebody playing Bad Weekend in 2015. :D
So I might update the episode in order to prevent glitches like this, but it might take some time. Really short on time right now.

EDIT: My initial post is kinda misleading. I believe game crashes are caused by using .ogg files as sound files: I replaced bonus.voc with an ogg file and the game crashed. I think this is what happening in Bad Weekend. There are some sound loops which I replaced with ogg files.

This post has been edited by Mister Sinister: 03 September 2015 - 02:04 PM

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 09 December 2016 - 10:13 AM

• The Truth is in here

You were right. It's about two files inside of badweek.grp - muzak.ogg and 2bwild.ogg. If you convert these to .wav and redefine them in baduser.con, the map works fine without crashing. Surprisingly actually, since EDuke32 is supposed to support OGG format for both music and sound. It's just sad that it doesn't work as these two files have actually rather long duration (3-4 mins) and consume much more space when using uncompressed sound formats.

I was noticing this since I am checking the episode for integration into the addon pack - if Mister Sinister has no objections, ofc.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 September 2015 - 12:13 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNightFright, on 03 September 2015 - 12:21 PM, said:

Also loading the level separately via user maps didn't improve anything.

Thanks for the bug report. As with the Lem Series crash, we can't fix something if we can't reproduce it. Loading the level via the User Map menu with the mod loaded is no different than DNSCOTTY104. Test case isolation should take a "cleanroom" approach: Fresh EDuke32 install, stock duke3d.grp, no preexisting CFGs, nothing in autoload, and add parts from there.

View PostMister Sinister, on 03 September 2015 - 01:51 PM, said:

The same thing have happened during the development of Death Drive, that's why I went with .wav.

Please don't be shy in reporting crashes. They're the easiest kind of bug to fix, presuming we can reproduce them reliably.

View PostTerminX, on 03 September 2015 - 12:38 PM, said:

I'm not able to reproduce the crash with just those map files.

I was going to look into this bug, but I can't find a working download link for the full Bad Weekend mod anywhere.

Hey there. I didn't report this bug because I thought there was something wrong with my computer. :D Yeah, sorry about that.
Anyway, you can download Bad Weekend here. Skip to level 4 and see for yourself. The same thing also happens in level 5. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with .ogg files.

User is offline   Mark 

View PostNightFright, on 04 September 2015 - 12:04 AM, said:

You were right. It's about two files inside of badweek.grp - muzak.ogg and 2bwild.ogg. If you convert these to .wav and redefine them in baduser.con, the map works fine without crashing. Surprisingly actually, since EDuke32 is supposed to support OGG format for both music and sound. It's just sad that it doesn't work as these two files have actually rather long duration (3-4 mins) and consume much more space when using uncompressed sound formats.

I was noticing this since I am checking the episode for integration into the addon pack - if Mister Sinister has no objections, ofc.

After converting them to wav did you try re-converting back to ogg and see if they still crash the game? Maybe it was just a glitch in conversion first time around?

• The Truth is in here

I checked other mods in my addon compilation and found that WGRealms2 is also using OGG sounds. However, EDuke32 doesn't crash with them. The difference here: OGGs are stored in external .dat (zip) file, not inside the groupfile. Since it shouldn't make any difference whether files are grouped or zipped, the problem cannot be about OGG sounds in general.

After realizing that the final map (1g_end) also crashes, I frowned. This time, it was because of the music (endgame.ogg). Something had to be wrong about its format because the ogg of the previous level, rehto.ogg, is played back without problems. I cannot see any significant different in those two files regarding their format, both are 44kHz 16bit stereo. Recoding endgame.ogg with AIMP3 made it work, so it's something about these files that makes EDuke32 crash.

As a consequence, I have recoded following tracks while keeping them in OGG format:
> grabbag.ogg - just to be sure
> endgame.ogg
> muzak.ogg
> 2bwild.ogg

Testing "To The Streets" with these recoded oggs (I recoded ogg to ogg, without creating wave files before), I didn't encounter any issues.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 September 2015 - 01:44 PM

• Weaponized Autism

I've found the problem: I compiled libogg and libvorbis with certain flags (-fno-stack-check -fno-stack-protector -mno-stack-arg-probe) as part of a series of workarounds so that the same libraries work with GCC and MSVC. However, the crash does not happen in the absence of these options. I will have to use a different workaround which will take a little bit of time to set up, test, and then recompile all of our external libraries.

View PostNightFright, on 04 September 2015 - 11:07 AM, said:

As a consequence, I have recoded following tracks while keeping them in OGG format:
> grabbag.ogg - just to be sure
> endgame.ogg
> muzak.ogg
> 2bwild.ogg

Once I get this committed, you shouldn't need to keep these second-generation lossy encodes.

So, do I have to replace the .ogg files or not?

• The Truth is in here

Well, you read what Hendricks wrote. With one of the next snapshots it's supposed to be fixed. No need to change anything from your side. ^^

I will test as soon as it's available and provide feedback. Anyway, nice that it can be solved through the port because it may also address issues with some other mods.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 September 2015 - 01:30 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Should be fixed.

• The Truth is in here

Tested r5342 with 1d_club and 1g_end. Had no crashes anymore while using original OGGs, so I can confirm the fix. Thanks a lot! ^^

This post has been edited by NightFright: 08 September 2015 - 12:25 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options