Duke4.net Forums: Gearbox & 3D Realms/Interceptor settle Duke Nukem lawsuit. - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gearbox & 3D Realms/Interceptor settle Duke Nukem lawsuit.

User is offline   Trebor_UK 

Finally.

Looks like no happy ending. :D

This post has been edited by Trebor_UK: 18 August 2015 - 03:07 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTrebor_UK, on 18 August 2015 - 03:05 PM, said:

Finally.

Looks like no happy ending. :D

It depends on how Bombshell works out for Interceptor, if the game is half as good as shown on the videos it may be their winner. :D

Very cool to hear more on that having worked out. And I'd just like to say, the little italic editorial note at the bottom... blow it out your ass Mike Futter. A game journalist wanting a series to go away, that gutless piece of trash should be shunned, blackballed (of steel) from the industry, and forced to write about reality TV or something. Also Mike Futter is a hilarious name. :D

Anyhoo, good to hear they're all getting along. And really, even companies that don't have the Duke IP could make a great inventive shooter in that spirit if they wanted to. Look at SiN for example. (I thought SiN was very flawed, but you can see what I mean. Anybody can give that style a try.)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

"Can we just say goodbye to Duke Nukem now? Please?"

ASDFLAJBSDKLFJAW$IORU#$OTU(#$%^#(*^$%^

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Sounds like everything went Gearbox's way. 3DR had the rights to do 'Survivor' and that's been taken away from them. Now Fred has had to fall on his sword over Reloaded.

Sigh.

Now we have to rely on Gearbox for the future of Duke.

We're screwed.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 18 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostTea Monster, on 18 August 2015 - 04:48 PM, said:

Sounds like everything went Gearbox's way. 3DR had the rights to do 'Survivor' and that's been taken away from them. Now Fred has had to fall on his sword over Reloaded.

Sigh.

We're screwed.

We're not that screwed, Gearbox could handle development internally and make a good game out of it. They could license it off (and co-develop w/) another developer such as Triptych, Croteam, Flying Wild Hogs, Machine Games, or even dare I say it 3D Realms itself (even with the aforementioned statements by both parties) or they could license it off to an incapable third party, bankrupt them, take most of the profits, and do an Aliens Colonial Marines part 3/Donald Trump How I Got Rich 101, which I believe is still very possible. However there's still hope that they can make a great game with the Duke moniker, a hope that I will continue to hold onto.

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 18 August 2015 - 05:41 PM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 18 August 2015 - 03:57 PM, said:

Also Mike Futter is a hilarious name. :D

User is offline   Lunick 

I thought this has been settled since May? http://forums.duke4....post__p__223055

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostLunick, on 18 August 2015 - 10:20 PM, said:

I thought this has been settled since May? http://forums.duke4....post__p__223055

It was, but we never received statements from either party,
nor received any information describing the terms that both parties settled on.
(until now)

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 18 August 2015 - 10:38 PM

Edit: was mad afew mins ago well aleast duke is in one hands and not between two comanys it better to be in one and not split see what the futures holds for Duke Nukem

This post has been edited by Turok 64 Jr: 18 August 2015 - 11:55 PM

They seem so... Friendly?

I'm sure that 3DRealms is sadden that they don't own Duke Nukem, But they will make it without him they have lot's of games they can do and agood team to make new games.

This post has been edited by Turok 64 Jr: 19 August 2015 - 01:30 AM

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostBalls Of Steel Forever, on 18 August 2015 - 05:30 PM, said:

We're not that screwed, Gearbox could handle development internally and make a good game out of it. They could license it off (and co-develop w/) another developer such as Triptych, Croteam, Flying Wild Hogs, Machine Games, or even dare I say it 3D Realms itself (even with the aforementioned statements by both parties) or they could license it off to an incapable third party, bankrupt them, take most of the profits, and do an Aliens Colonial Marines part 3/Donald Trump How I Got Rich 101, which I believe is still very possible.

Option 1 seems highly unlikely: http://forums.duke4....uke-nukem-game/

Considering that there is obviously no genuine development of a Duke game underway at the moment, all will be quiet on the Nukem front for a long while yet anyway.

View PostTea Monster, on 18 August 2015 - 04:48 PM, said:

Sigh.

We're screwed.

Cheer up. You make it sound like the judge gave the exclusive rights to George Broussard. Now THAT would be a case of being screwed.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Always bet on Gearbox. :D
Well, whatever it'll happens on Duke IP, we'll see...hating or do something just useless I guess...

View PostAltered Reality, on 19 August 2015 - 03:05 AM, said:

Cheer up. You make it sound like the judge gave the exclusive rights to George Broussard. Now THAT would be a case of being screwed.

Can't we just leave him alone from this mess, seriously?

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 19 August 2015 - 04:10 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

What do they mean by "Gearbox is the full owner of the Duke Nukem ip" ? Does that change the current status of DN3D? Or do they only own DNF and anything made after (in other words, nothing's changed)?

Also I love this part

Pitchfork said:

as someone who was part of the 3D Realms team when Bombshell was first imagined, I am excited to see what they have in store for us with their game

It's like he's trying to say "their current Bombshell game exists because of me", what a fucking hack.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 19 August 2015 - 05:09 AM

Im guessing that they own the past present and future duke games, I think that what they mean.

This post has been edited by Turok 64 Jr: 19 August 2015 - 08:47 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostMetHy, on 19 August 2015 - 05:08 AM, said:

It's like he's trying to say "their current Bombshell game exists because of me", what a fucking hack.

He wasn't even around when Bombshell was first imagined. I've seen stuff from 3DR dating as far back as 1995 with mentions of her.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostTurok 64 Jr, on 19 August 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

Im guessing that they own the past present and future duke games, I think that what they mean.

I doubt this. The rights to older games are still held (and sold) by 3DR. I'm sure it's just talking about future games. The quote said specifically "...to secure the future of Duke...".

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 August 2015 - 08:03 PM

And in general, I take it that Gearbox owns the Duke IP, just with the caveat that 3DR owns the older games. So if a Duke Nukem movie or another comic book happens sometime etc, it's Gearbox who owns the character and can license those rights out, etc.

Either that, or Gearbox technically owns the older games now but is giving 3DR most of the money for future sales for those, through a licensing agreement of some sort. Sounds like they have an amicable agreement again now at least.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 19 August 2015 - 08:25 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostTerminX, on 19 August 2015 - 11:06 AM, said:

He wasn't even around when Bombshell was first imagined. I've seen stuff from 3DR dating as far back as 1995 with mentions of her.

This fucking guy.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostMetHy, on 19 August 2015 - 08:52 PM, said:

This fucking guy.

Seriously, read this BS story about how Gearbox got their name. Randy's a pathological liar.

http://www.engadget....arbox-software/

View PostMetHy, on 19 August 2015 - 08:52 PM, said:

This fucking guy.

It Randy what can you expect the guy lies though his teeth

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

"Gearbox Software has voluntarily ended its litigation against Interceptor Entertainment and 3D Realms, and wishes to keep the terms of its settlement confidential except to confirm that Gearbox Software is the full and rightful owner of the Duke Nukem franchise."
Something really nasty must have happened in that courtroom. Fred walked in with the old game and (on paper) the rights to another Duke game. He walked out with a limp.

• The Sarien Encounter

Gearbox's Pitchford's lawyers are better than his, that's all that means.

User is offline   K100 

So, that mean we will not see any alpha/beta of Duke 3D ? Damn.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Actually I was somewhat worried this would result in Duke Nukem being taken down from GOG.

• The Sarien Encounter

I still don't see that that's the case.

I wonder what 3D Realms and Fred got in return. I don't think he and Mike would go to court with Gearbox and Randy with no real proof. Not that we would get any info but it is interesting nonetheless. :D

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I felt a great disturbance in the force...

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options