Duke4.net Forums: Offer to help in Mapster development - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Offer to help in Mapster development

View PostThe Mechanic, on 19 August 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

Alt-S is intermittent for me on my Win7 laptop, but it is very occasional in as much as works for ages, then suddenly stops working. Then continues to not work until I "do something" which I haven't sussed where-upon it works again. Similarly with right-Alt.

-------

I still suspect you have something on your machine interfering with things, but if it's any consolation I think that's what's happening on my machine too and I'm damned if I can find a culprit.

TTFN,
Jon

[Edit] Mods - maybe it would be worthwhile to wave your magic wand and move these few posts to the PsychoGoatee's original problem post ? It only occured to me after posting, D'Oh!

Thanks for looking into it anyway, it's cool that Duke3D has a community where there's even somebody to talk to about a random thing like this.

I did try rebinding it to other keys, using left or right alt etc, it seems to be the that command itself that has a problem in the mapster code for me, not the keys in particular. I don't think it is something on my computer, but since you get something similar at times on Win7, it makes sense that there's something clashing there somehow. But it is way out of my depth. :D

View PostDavoX, on 20 August 2015 - 04:15 PM, said:

Could it be the language swtiching from one to another in windows? I know Alt GR doesn't work when my keyboard is set to spanish.

I've never changed language settings, always English for me.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 20 August 2015 - 04:55 PM

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 20 August 2015 - 04:54 PM, said:

I did try rebinding it to other keys, using left or right alt etc, it seems to be the that command itself that has a problem in the mapster code for me, not the keys in particular. I don't think it is something on my computer, but since you get something similar at times on Win7, it makes sense that there's something clashing there somehow. But it is way out of my depth. :D

Can you confirm that both the key remapping examples I mentioned also do not work ? I deliberately chose the 'K' key example first as this is most likely to be consistent across most keyboards. Note that on my machine, my second example remapped key '\' whereas the mapster32.cfg file would have you believe I was remapping the ',' key, so it could be you remapped your keys according to the CFG file comments but ended up remapping a different key; a clue would be if you put mouse over a sector that is already player-space and pressed [your-redefined-key]-S then a sprite would appear. In fact, this is an important clue, if without remapping the keyboard you do ALT-S with the cursor in normal player space does a sprite appear ?

Combinations like ALT-S are ripe for some other app picking up (or indeed some feature in Windows itself). However I can't believe anything would interfere with K-S.

If you redefine the 'K' key as above and functions using the alt key that normally work for you now work with the 'K' key instead, but K-S does not work, then I'd have to change my mind and say it has to be mapster that is at fault somehow but short of running Visual Studio on your machine I suspect we will never get to the bottom of this.

TTFN,
Jon

PS: Out of curiosity, does a line of text get written to mapster32.log that looks like
Switching keyboard layout from 00000809 to 00000409
or something similar ?

View PostThe Mechanic, on 21 August 2015 - 12:03 AM, said:

Can you confirm that both the key remapping examples I mentioned also do not work ? I deliberately chose the 'K' key example first as this is most likely to be consistent across most keyboards. Note that on my machine, my second example remapped key '\' whereas the mapster32.cfg file would have you believe I was remapping the ',' key, so it could be you remapped your keys according to the CFG file comments but ended up remapping a different key; a clue would be if you put mouse over a sector that is already player-space and pressed [your-redefined-key]-S then a sprite would appear. In fact, this is an important clue, if without remapping the keyboard you do ALT-S with the cursor in normal player space does a sprite appear ?

Combinations like ALT-S are ripe for some other app picking up (or indeed some feature in Windows itself). However I can't believe anything would interfere with K-S.

If you redefine the 'K' key as above and functions using the alt key that normally work for you now work with the 'K' key instead, but K-S does not work, then I'd have to change my mind and say it has to be mapster that is at fault somehow but short of running Visual Studio on your machine I suspect we will never get to the bottom of this.

TTFN,
Jon

PS: Out of curiosity, does a line of text get written to mapster32.log that looks like
Switching keyboard layout from 00000809 to 00000409
or something similar ?

K+S works, thanks! You're a legend. It also fixes the other ones that didn't work, Alt+H (now K+H), all the alt stuff from 2D mode that didn't work now works properly with K+S. Awesome. I'll just leave it as K, that works for me.

Just for science, I didn't get that line ot txt in mapster32.log, and sprites didn't appear before when pressing alt+S. With the weird stuff that happened, like fullscreen mode minimizing to the tray when I pressed alt+S, definitely makes sense that it was Windows related. Thanks again. :D

User is offline   Mark 

...and the crowds rejoiced. Glad you're finally fixed up with a solution.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 21 August 2015 - 12:40 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options