Duke4.net Forums: How to TROR - just how do you do it ? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to TROR - just how do you do it ?  "First steps in TROR"

Well, I've tried but I just can't get the hang of TROR, as in make anything useful out of it.

There are a couple of tutorials. First was tror_island_sector_tut which has pictures :-) Unfortunately, lost me on the first picture - "The initial situation. Three layers stacked one on each other". Huh?.

There's also trueror.pdf. Bit more progress in that I made a hole in the ground and it has multiple points (ctrl-E) - as per the left hand part of the attached picture. That's where the trail goes cold - the pdf goes straight from the pic on the left to the pic on the right.The PDF mentions a "graying out" feature? Anyhow, moving anything moves the entire height whilst creating new sectors in this angled view is disabled. As far as I can tell, your current z-position doesn't alter this behavior (way I read the pdf, it oughta!?).

All's I need is what keys do a press to go from the left pic to the right pic.

TTFN,
Jon

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: wtf.jpg

OK, I thought I'd sussed it, but not sure.

I seem to be able to make TROR - see attached map - and it looks perfect in Mapster. However, when I play it in Eduke I get terrible HOM effects on ceilings/floors whenever outside of a TROR sector looking in. Once inside, everything looks fine. See attached, where as soon as I move over the sector it all displays properly.

Anyhow the plot thickens. This is happening in Eduke version r5265 (and r5308), however I just downloaded the latest build (r5326) and that works correctly :D

So it is an Eduke problem, yes ? Well, no. I used r5265 to play Paul B's excellent "The Rock" map which I believe is stuffed full or TROR and that worked. I am thus still confused.

TTFN,
Jon

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: hom.png

Attached File(s)

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostThe Mechanic, on 12 August 2015 - 07:40 AM, said:

OK, I thought I'd sussed it, but not sure.

I seem to be able to make TROR - see attached map - and it looks perfect in Mapster. However, when I play it in Eduke I get terrible HOM effects on ceilings/floors whenever outside of a TROR sector looking in. Once inside, everything looks fine. See attached, where as soon as I move over the sector it all displays properly.

Anyhow the plot thickens. This is happening in Eduke version r5265 (and r5308), however I just downloaded the latest build (r5326) and that works correctly :D

So it is an Eduke problem, yes ? Well, no. I used r5265 to play Paul B's excellent "The Rock" map which I believe is stuffed full or TROR and that worked. I am thus still confused.

TTFN,
Jon

What renderer do you use in EDuke32? It should be work the best with Polymer, perhaps Classic as well. Polymost isnĀ“t capable of TROR, IIRC.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Yeah don't use polymost for TROR, it just doesn't work properly. Polymer is where it's at!

I should definitely make a TROR tutorial in my youtube channel, sorry for my lack of time :D

It is kinda video mode related. If I enter setrendermode in the console it says I can use 0, 3 or 4.

Earlier edukes : modes 0 and 4, TROR works, 3 gives the HOM effects.
Later edukes : 0 and 3 works, 4 causes Eduke to exit immediately. (I've detailed this in another thread in case it is of any relevence).

I'm well confused, I replayed The Rock map and no sign of HOM effects and I know this map uses TROR. Load my test map, HOM effects. This is the same Eduke, same rendermode.

View PostDavoX, on 12 August 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

I should definitely make a TROR tutorial in my youtube channel, sorry for my lack of time :D

That'd be cool, but appreciate these things can consume an aweful lot of time.

TTFN,
Jon

This post has been edited by The Mechanic: 12 August 2015 - 11:03 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostThe Mechanic, on 12 August 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

It is kinda video mode related. If I enter setrendermode in the console it says I can use 0, 3 or 4.

Earlier edukes : modes 0 and 4, TROR works, 3 gives the HOM effects.
Later edukes : 0 and 3 works, 4 causes Eduke to exit immediately. (I've detailed this in another thread in case it is of any relevence).

I'm well confused, I replayed The Rock map and no sign of HOM effects and I know this map uses TROR. Load my test map, HOM effects. This is the same Eduke, same rendermode.
Jon

Hi Jon,

What might be happening is within TheRock.zip i've included a TheRock.cfg which automatically sets the setrendermode 4. So if you're playing this map with the custom content folder that might explain why the HOM effects don't appear when loading TheRock.map. I'm not sure why earlier versions of Eduke work for you with Polymer and later ones don't. That might be a result of a required video card driver update?

This post has been edited by Paul B: 12 August 2015 - 12:54 PM

View PostPaul B, on 12 August 2015 - 12:54 PM, said:

Hi Jon,

What might be happening is within TheRock.zip i've included a TheRock.cfg which automatically sets the setrendermode 4. So if you're playing this map with the custom content folder that might explain why the HOM effects don't appear when loading TheRock.map. I'm not sure why earlier versions of Eduke work for you with Polymer and later ones don't. That might be a result of a required video card driver update?

Cheers Paul, yes, I think that's it. I did copy just the map file from a subdirectory, but duh!, think I left the custom game directory still set to the original The Rock directory. Indeed, typing "setrendermode 3" brings on the same HOM effects. Phew.

Unfortunately, The Rock won't play on later versions of Eduke32 as render mode 4 causes eduke to bomb out on my Win8 machine.

To see what I'm missing, I experimented by changing rendermode to 0 on The Rock map and stood in the corner where the scuba gear is. Rendermode 4 gives me ~60fps, holy crap, rendermode 0 is giving me 200fps ! (@800x600). At 1680 by whaterver-it-was, the two modes equaled out at around ~50fps.

TTFN,
Jon

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options