Duke4.net Forums: The RETROVGS system and 3drealms - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The RETROVGS system and 3drealms  "New "retro" styled cartridge based game system"

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

Hey all, been a long time. I'm alive. Lurking. Plotting. Watching. Listening. :)

So I'm really pumped regarding the new RETROVGS (Retro Video Game System). This is a brand new, non emulation, cartridge based video game system. Here's a really good thread detailing and discussing the system

http://www.neogaf.co...d.php?t=1043605

Now this leads me to 3drealms support. IMHO, this SCREAMS for the classic catalog of 3drealms on the system. Can you imagine? New, boxed cartridge copies of Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, etc?!!

I think this is a no brainer. Please 3drealms, get in contact with the RETROVGS people asap(if you haven't already)

http://www.retrovgs.com/

http://www.retrovgs.com/contact.html

Thanks and always bet on Duke!

-Kaiser

Maybe they should wait until the device is actually released, and then compare its actual performance to what is written in the FAQ. For example, whether or not what they write here with very generic words and without any proof is true:

RETRO VGS uses a special new type of memory device. Unlike conventional flash EEPROMs, ours are rated to retain data for 100 years.

By the way, it is based on emulation (as a reconfigurable FPGA system). From the FAQ:

If a developer wants to make a Neo Geo game, they would include an HDL (Hardware Description Language) file that configures the FPGA to operate like a Neo Geo. The developer would code their game to run against the Neo Geo platform. This HDL code along with the actual Neo Geo game will be on the cartridge. Once that cartridge is placed in the RETRO VGS, it will become a Neo Geo and play that game. So in this case, the language is: 68000 and Z80 code. If you wanted to do a new Atari 2600 styled game, you'd include a 2600 HDL file that configures the FPGA to replicate the logic of the original 2600 hardware and then you'd include your new 2600 game on that cartridge too. These two files are then paired up on the cartridge and when plugged into the RETRO VGS, will turn the console into a 2600. So the language that would be used in this case is: 6507 (6502 with less address space).

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Cartridges?

CARTRIDGES!?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Cartridges rules. Fast and durable.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 31 July 2015 - 09:46 AM, said:

Cartridges rules. Fast and durable.

Not really. One needs to use Assebly to code; even Master, Mister, (My Hero besides J.C.) Ken Silverman wrote that pointers (in C) are just as effective and more efficient to code for.
So good luck 3D Realms for your old games, but this new (Retro) console is, in my never humble opinion for Atari and those able to publish the Atari games, and/or for those comfortable with Assembly.:)

This post has been edited by Hank: 31 July 2015 - 07:24 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postkaisersoze, on 30 July 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

I think this is a no brainer. Please 3drealms, get in contact with the RETROVGS people asap(if you haven't already)

The opportunity cost of getting MS-DOS games to work on this nichest of niche systems outweighs any potential benefit, and I don't think there is any to begin with. Fanboyism does not suffice.

unless it's a modernized system that runs data and code like a modern system, I don't see this working out at all.

Even then, it'll be yet another failure like the Ouya that only complete idiots would want to buy.

This post has been edited by Carl Winslow: 31 July 2015 - 08:13 PM

• Polymancer

I remember tales of problems fitting games of time onto those things. IIRC the jaguar had a 6mb cartridge size. You wouldn't fit the manual of any kind of modern game onto that.

View PostHank, on 31 July 2015 - 07:22 PM, said:

Not really. One needs to use Assebly to code

Posted Image
Are you seriously suggesting that a cartridge can only store an executable that was obtained with a certain programming language?

• Polymancer

The long answer is that instead of progrmaming in an accepted programming language that sort of vaguely resembles English, you are much closer to writing directly in machine-speak.
The short answer is that there will be no rush to write games for your new console as even the most die-hard Jaguar fanboi programmers are going to go "Whuuuut???!!!!!!"
The even shorter answer is that you are completely screwed. in the old days, you could probably find a few people who could do that sort of thing. In the modern age where everyone uses visual basic and scripting languages - not a chance.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 01 August 2015 - 06:29 AM

I don't think they ever said this is a straight-up Jaguar. it's just a thing they used plastic shells of since there was a huge boatload of them.

They REALLY need to talk about what the actual, nitty gritty development of this thing entails, and if it'll be actually worth a damn to get onboard. everything so far is really vague beyond 'hey we got a bunch of jaguar hulls and put new guts in it'.

This post has been edited by Carl Winslow: 01 August 2015 - 08:25 AM

• Polymancer

The case will have new electronics inside, but they are also using Jaguar console cartridges, and they are ancient as sin (maybe even Sin). Last time I looked they had a 6MB limit, which won't hold JS.

you assume that means they're gonna only use the guts of the cartridges too. it's not even remotely hard to make new ones that are basically a USB stick or SD card plopped onto a board and plugged into a thing. it's how the DS homebrew cartridges work!

User is offline   Hank 

View PostAltered Reality, on 01 August 2015 - 06:09 AM, said:

Are you seriously suggesting that a cartridge can only store an executable that was obtained with a certain programming language?

I am making no such wide suggestion. We are talking about Retro. Retros FAQ outlines what 'powers' their system, and it is Assembly. Thus if you want to make a game with Retro you will need Assembly to port it.

This post has been edited by Hank: 01 August 2015 - 10:44 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Original hardware or bust. Get with it or get lifted.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

Well hey, they show Super 3D Noahs Ark as a launch title... so I am in... "here, take my money."
(Ok, not really)
I like the idea of this, but this seems a bit vague to me... I want to see something a bit more substantial before I am in on this.

I have most every console made, backup units, and spare parts... if all this is going to be is another port-to platform, it might not be for me anyway.

We shall see...
MrBlackCat

View PostTea Monster, on 01 August 2015 - 06:25 AM, said:

The long answer is that instead of progrmaming in an accepted programming language that sort of vaguely resembles English, you are much closer to writing directly in machine-speak.

Ahem, I know what assembly is. My WAT was in reaction to the statement that you cannot store a program into a cartridge unless it's written in assembly.

View PostHank, on 01 August 2015 - 10:43 AM, said:

I am making no such wide suggestion. We are talking about Retro. Retros FAQ outlines what 'powers' their system, and it is Assembly. Thus if you want to make a game with Retro you will need Assembly to port it.

Are you talking about this passage?

If a developer wants to make a Neo Geo game, they would include an HDL (Hardware Description Language) file that configures the FPGA to operate like a Neo Geo. The developer would code their game to run against the Neo Geo platform. This HDL code along with the actual Neo Geo game will be on the cartridge. Once that cartridge is placed in the RETRO VGS, it will become a Neo Geo and play that game. So in this case, the language is: 68000 and Z80 code. If you wanted to do a new Atari 2600 styled game, you'd include a 2600 HDL file that configures the FPGA to replicate the logic of the original 2600 hardware and then you'd include your new 2600 game on that cartridge too. These two files are then paired up on the cartridge and when plugged into the RETRO VGS, will turn the console into a 2600. So the language that would be used in this case is: 6507 (6502 with less address space).

This doesn't say you have to write your program in assembly: it merely says that the console will interpret the original machine code, depending on which machine is currently emulating. But, as everyone knows, an executable (which, by definition, is machine code) can be written in any language, and it's up to the compiler+linker (or assembler) to translate it into machine code.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 02 August 2015 - 01:22 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostAltered Reality, on 02 August 2015 - 01:21 PM, said:

Ahem, I know what assembly is. My WAT was in reaction to the statement that you cannot store a program into a cartridge unless it's written in assembly.

Are you talking about this passage?

This doesn't say you have to write your program in assembly: it merely says that the console will interpret the original machine code, depending on which machine is currently emulating. But, as everyone knows, an executable (which, by definition, is machine code) can be written in any language, and it's up to the compiler+linker (or assembler) to translate it into machine code.

Were did I say the entire game needs to be written in Assembly only? It needs to be ported to what smells dangerously close to Assembly, and you better teach Qt Creator or your favorite IDE of choice how to compile against it.

I know my English is vague at times, but try not read more into it as is written.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options