Duke4.net Forums: EDuke Control Issue - Or is there a setting or something ? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke Control Issue - Or is there a setting or something ?  "Problems with small openings and also keys"

OK, I've come to the conclusion there is a problem, be it Eduke or me or some setting somewhere.

Anyhow, first off I have difficulty in getting through certain gaps. It's happened again when I tried End of the World part 1. Theres an underwater bit and you have to kick a grating/vent then enter the hole. I seem to get stuck, either being to high or too low to get through the hole. The same thing happened with one of the Roch maps (the one with the flyover in it). There are also a couple of other old maps I played where I gave up as after blowing a hole in a wall that I'm convinced I should be able to get through but couldn't.

The second issue is keycards, I sometimes have difficulty using keycards. Seriously, I created a test map and have a big blue keyswitch in front of me and a blue keycard in my hand and the stupid thing just doesn't want to go in except at maybe a certain narrow angle. The switch is on a wall that is attached to the sector that I'm stood in and I even tried moving the switch away from the wall just a tad (i've seen a few maps where wall-mounted sprites kinda flicker as if Eduke doesn't know whether to draw the sprite or the wall behind it).

I don't recall this being an issue in the old DOS duke - though admittedly that was over 10 years ago. Is it just me ?

TTFN,
Jon

User is offline   Mark 

I have had keycard reader issues too. Sometimes placing it on any other wall and it worked but not next to the door. I triple checked to make sure no blocked wall or blocking sprite was in the way. For some reason, the reader just didn't like being there. :)
Sometimes it seemed too low because it started to work after I raised it a little higher to at least shoulder height. I know, it makes no sense. I wasted a lot of time thinking it was something I was doing wrong.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 09 July 2015 - 11:55 AM

View PostMark., on 09 July 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

I have had keycard reader issues too. Sometimes placing it on any other wall and it worked but not next to the door. I triple checked to make sure no blocked wall or blocking sprite was in the way. For some reason, the reader just didn't like being there. :)
Sometimes it seemed too low because it started to work after I raised it a little higher to at least shoulder height. I know, it makes no sense. I wasted a lot of time thinking it was something I was doing wrong.

I started out with the switch low and smaller - you'd need to crouch to operate it was the idea, but that was impossible to operate.

To give an idea of the problem with the switch I've attached a screenshot as an example of where the card just wont go in. There are a couple of positions where it usually works - sometimes pointing the crosshairs below the switch so the switch goes partly out of view can make it work.

[Edit]

Seems the only way around this is to make the switch large and then hide it (F8 editor add 0x8000 to flags - bless you mapster!). Then just behind it I place a duplicate switch, sized to whatever size I like, whatever height I like, but using same channel as the invisible switch. This does unleash another bug - the big switch becomes blocking even though it is set as NOT blocking in mapster :D but for this map I can work around it.

TTFN,
Jon

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: dammit.jpg

This post has been edited by The Mechanic: 10 July 2015 - 04:48 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I don't know why they are so picky, they just are. In my case I wanted the switch on the right side of the door but it refused to work there. It worked anywhere else but there.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: SWITCH.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 July 2015 - 04:36 AM

View PostMark., on 10 July 2015 - 04:35 AM, said:

I don't know why they are so picky, they just are. In my case I wanted the switch on the right side of the door but it refused to work there. It worked anywhere else but there.

I wonder if it is related to size ? By default the keyswitch is usually too large and needs reducing. Enlarging the switch (and making it invisible) worked for me, placing a second small switch with same channel as the visual switch.

TTFN,
Jon

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options