Duke4.net Forums: Duke Mods and Games You'd Want to Play - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Mods and Games You'd Want to Play  "What Would They Be?"

Looking at the topic for the Duke 3D mod for Half-Life got me thinking about the kinds of Duke games and mods that I wish would be developed, or had been developed. I'm still inspired by what the Duke community has done with WG Realms 2 and DNF 2013 mod, and I've been pondering the many Duke games I want to play but exist only in imagination.

Here a few hypothetical Duke games I'd want to develop and play.

1: Duke Nukum in Copyright Infringement
A platformer with the graphics of Duke Nukem 1, but where Duke wields a shotgun and chainsaw like Ash, and fights the Deadites in Evil Dead. It would use the Commander Keen model of show your enemies dead instead of disappearing in smoke or confetti, and the gory gothic elements from Monster Bash and Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion. The last boss would be Bruce Campbell.

2. Duke Nukem 2-3D
A retelling of Duke Nukem 2 in Eduke with borrowings from John Carpenter's They Live and The Thing, Terminator 2, and Tom Hall's brand of storytelling. Hall wrote the story cutscenes for Duke 2, and I still get the sense of darker things awaiting Duke in the homeworld of the Rigelatins. You could have surviving humans, like babes, who may or may not be Rigelatins in disguise, and would either help or attack Duke like the scientists from Blake Stone. The environments from Duke 2 themselves are cool enough to expand to the level of WG Realms's levels.

3. Duke Quake 1 mod
I know its been tried and done to death, but it's still an experiment I like to see successfully done. On one level, I'd like to just see Quake reskinned with Duke enemies and guns, but still retaining its core simplicity. On another level, I'd want to see a Duke-styled game recreated on Dark Places in a manner similar to the Transfusion Project.

4. Duke Nukem and Deus Ex 1
I'm full aware that Deus Ex's combat is not the same as Duke's combat. Still, Deus Ex can be modded so that the players are already maxxed out on guns, and the RPG system could be modded to be more Duke oriented like Ego or door-busting with the mighty boot. Fans of DNF in the past wondered if Deus Ex might influence the design of DNF in some way, and I think it would interesting just to see how DX-Duke mod would be like.

5. DNF Recreations for Quake II or Unreal Tournament
Everyone's thought of this

6. A Duke Nukem 3D sequel in the vein of Doom II
I remember in an interview long ago with 3D Realms where one fan wondered if it would have better to just make a sequel with just a slightly better version of Duke 3D's engine, as id did with Doom II. What would such a sequel look like if it had been done that way? In my childhood, I conceived a Duke 3D game which basically retold Duke 2 and Duke 3D, but with bigger city-sized environments and new enemies. I envisioned Duke facing Rhino Cops, and a Godzilla-sized alien chasing Duke in an alien city.

7. Duke mods for Clive Barker's Undying and No One Lives Forever
Seriously, could you imagine how crazy that would be?

8. Duke Nukem vs. The Evil Legions of Copyright Laws
Epic Duke3D modification where Duke fights against not only the Deadites from Evil Dead, but aliens from Frogtown and They Live.

9. The Apogee Strikeforce
Eduke mod where Duke Nukem fight alongside Snake Logan, Johnny Dash, Agent 006½, Mylo Steamwitz, Cosmo, and the legendary Commander Keen against Mortimer Mcmire and the rest of the Apogee villains.

10. Duke Nukem meets Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch
I keep envisioning an Eduke mod where the stories of Duke 1, 2, 3D, and Forever are retold in through Duke Nukem 1's 8x8 block graphics.

11. Duke Nukem meets Blood
I want to see Duke and Caleb join forces, fighting each other's enemies, and using each other's weapons in each other's turfs.

12. Duke Nukem mod for Doom 3 or Prey
Possible games to pull of DNF-like experiments for

13. Crossover between Duke 3D and Prey
Prey weapons and abilities in Eduke, Duke fighting Sphere aliens, Tommy fighting Cycloids and Dr. Proton, Duke going to a Cherokee strip club, both kick ass...

14. Duke game in the style of Strife
Uses Strife's RPG system where Duke can buy weapons and upgrades and doing missions nonlinearly, while fighting his usual alien foes.

15. Postal mod for Eduke
Now that would be a challenge...

I have quite a list, though I know that not all these ideas would work out. What kinds of Duke mods and game would you guys want to develop and play, and what would they be like?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

>15 variations on Duke Nukem in Not an Original Idea

View PostHendricks266, on 28 May 2015 - 06:12 AM, said:

>15 variations on Duke Nukem in Not an Original Idea

:( That is a clever title, my lord Hendricks.

But it doesn't matter if an idea for Duke game/mod is original or not. The intention of the topic is for others in the community to talk about Duke games they want to be developed and played. I was merely starting off the discussion with the Duke games I wanted to play. It's a Nowhere Man's activity, I admit, but there's no harm in sharing ideas. :)

What ideal Duke games/mods would you want to play?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Nothing wrong with his ideas. I've always wanted to see similar things and crossblends.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

I just want (wanted?)

1. A Duke Nukem game in an open world like Grand Theft Auto III. I don't care for GTA IV and V, they lost something to me, but a Duke Nukem game in open world is something I have wanted since I began playing GTA III. I wouldn't even mind if it was third person like Time to Kill, as it didn't really bother me as I thought it would.
2. I want a Duke Nukem Lego game as well... :)

At this point, any Duke Nukem game (not just some game with a character named Duke Nukem) would be great.

Mods, I don't know. I have so many now, and many are interesting, but not the same as an original Duke Nukem 3D game. As I have said many times before, if expansion/add-on packs like Duke Caribbean were still being made today, I would probably still be buying them.

Mr.BlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 28 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I still think they should have done a "Duke Takes Manhattan" expansion ala Duke it out in DC. With the same attention to detail. Lady Liberty, The Twin Towers, Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge, Chrysler Building. So many opportunities for levels and references to films and TV shows.

An expansion set on the alien home world would have been pretty rad too.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 29 May 2015 - 12:30 AM, said:

I still think they should have done a "Duke Takes Manhattan" expansion ala Duke it out in DC. With the same attention to detail. Lady Liberty, The Twin Towers, Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge, Chrysler Building. So many opportunities for levels and references to films and TV shows.

An expansion set on the alien home world would have been pretty rad too.

Something like that would have been phenomenal. :)

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMrBlackCat, on 28 May 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

1. A Duke Nukem game in an open world like Grand Theft Auto III. I don't care for GTA IV and V, they lost something to me, but a Duke Nukem game in open world is something I have wanted since I began playing GTA III. I wouldn't even mind if it was third person like Time to Kill, as it didn't really bother me as I thought it would.

Possible. It could be composed of several maps which you can go back and forth.

User is offline   Mark 

I would like to see a point and click adventure game like the kind made from the Adventure Game Studio. On my list of things to do is use Mapster and Eduke along with all custom textures and models to create the screens for use in an AGS game.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 30 May 2015 - 05:04 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

5. DNF Recreations for Quake II or Unreal Tournament
Everyone's thought of this

Call me closed-minded, but this is pretty much the only thing I'm interested in.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options