Duke4.net Forums: When it comes to SP, I keep coming back to Duke... - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When it comes to SP, I keep coming back to Duke...  "It has real staying power"

I was talking to a friend the other day, he just got the new GTA which is FINALLY in the first person. He and his kid loves it. But how long before it is worn out I wonder? I do know you can play with a co-op type thing, so maybe it will last a while.

I love Bioshock, but since there are no fan made maps, it get's old.
Dark Messiah, same.
Dishonored same.

Half Life 2 and Black Mesa are great...but Black Mesa has no fan made maps, and Half Life 2 has only a few QUALITY fan made maps.

Which brings me back to Duke. Where there a LOT of quality fan made maps. And the gameplay of this game never get's old. Plus, I can play it on my laptop when I travel, and (because system requirements are so low) it looks and plays perfect. All of this says to me, that Duke 3D has the best staying power of all the games, and by far the best "bang for the buck". All the fan maps are free! Here it is 2015, and I still play it frequently, and am still finding great maps and new challenges. Buying new games anymore almost feel like a rip off!

Anyone else? :D

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 25 April 2015 - 01:24 PM

I agree, almost every game now is geared more towards multiplayer rather than the actual campaign: COD, Battlefield, GTA, etc. Hardly any games now have great replay value/staying power, and there's almost no more custom mapping in games.

These days, creativity is practically illegal and even if it isn't, it is often frowned upon.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

You could say the same thing about Doom, although I find the gameplay too repetitive for my taste.

There are definitely games out there that I wish had steam workshop for custom maps.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostBlue Lightning, on 25 April 2015 - 01:23 PM, said:

I was talking to a friend the other day, he just got the new GTA which is FINALLY in the first person. He and his kid loves it. But how long before it is worn out I wonder? I do know you can play with a co-op type thing, so maybe it will last a while.

I love Bioshock, but since there are no fan made maps, it get's old.
Dark Messiah, same.
Dishonored same.

Half Life 2 and Black Mesa are great...but Black Mesa has no fan made maps, and Half Life 2 has only a few QUALITY fan made maps.

Which brings me back to Duke. Where there a LOT of quality fan made maps. And the gameplay of this game never get's old. Plus, I can play it on my laptop when I travel, and (because system requirements are so low) it looks and plays perfect. All of this says to me, that Duke 3D has the best staying power of all the games, and by far the best "bang for the buck". All the fan maps are free! Here it is 2015, and I still play it frequently, and am still finding great maps and new challenges. Buying new games anymore almost feel like a rip off!

Anyone else? :D

And pretty soon those will probably be behind a paywall
There's a few games I go back to. I will replay a few specific chapters of Bioshock Infinite, I'll replay Bioshock up to and including Fort Frolic, I'll replay Wolfenstein The New Order every other month (Its amazing how fast you can skip most of that game) Doom and Duke3D, Condemned, Fear, Spelunky, and Serious Sam (the originals) are all the games I always go back to.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Most modern games are shit.

I'm replaying The Nameless Mod right now. I'm convinced that anything Deus Ex has infinite replay value at this point. Except Invisible War. Fuck that game. Fuck it right in it's slimy dickhole.

And Anachronox scratched my Mass Effect itch but it's starting to come back...Help me Bioware. I wanna get some blue waffle in the back of a Mako.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 25 April 2015 - 08:29 PM

View PostHulkNukem, on 25 April 2015 - 08:10 PM, said:

And pretty soon those will probably be behind a paywall

I'm surprised we don't have a thread here to hate on Gaben.

Most people who like new games hate the old because of difficulty, but that's not necessarily true. Doom itself had fucking five difficulty levels and no one is forcing you to play on Nightmare (well SNES Doom Episode 3 was locked unless you played on UV but SNES Doom doesn't count). Some games were harder than Nintendo hard, like XCOM, but on the PC you had saves, which you didn't on consoles. Also it made sense for something like Ninja Gaiden to be hard, because the game was pretty short otherwise. If it was too hard, you could fork some cash and sign up to the Game Genie master race.

This post has been edited by Duke of Hazzard: 25 April 2015 - 11:26 PM

View PostPerson of Color, on 25 April 2015 - 08:27 PM, said:

Most modern games are shit.

I'm replaying The Nameless Mod right now. I'm convinced that anything Deus Ex has infinite replay value at this point. Except Invisible War. Fuck that game. Fuck it right in it's slimy dickhole.

And Anachronox scratched my Mass Effect itch but it's starting to come back...Help me Bioware. I wanna get some blue waffle in the back of a Mako.

I hear ya. Ever since I learned how to play the game, Deus Ex's gaemplay is second nature to me. I know how to knock out all average human enemies with my baton while crouched without a skill in melee or an aug for my fists.

I tried paying Invisible War, but it's gameplay just didn't feel natural. The interface and the keys are needlessly complicated, it takes too long for sections to load, I can't knock out enemies the same way as in the original, and overall look of the game just didn't feel right. When I played The Nameless Mod, even though I didn't have any weapons to start with, I knew what I needed to do, and got my way around the game pretty well. Now, The Nameless Mod is as also as second nature to me as Deus Ex. Not bad, considering how harder TNM is than Deus Ex.

I have yet to play through Anachronox. I'm impressed with what Tom Hall was able to do with the Quake II engine for that game.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostFlying Techbot, on 27 April 2015 - 08:00 PM, said:

I have yet to play through Anachronox. I'm impressed with what Tom Hall was able to do with the Quake II engine for that game.

Yeah Anachronox. Man, just hearing it makes me want to go play it. Not only is it pretty much the best RPG ever (at least IMO), but it's a wonderment considering the Quake II engine. :D

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options