Duke4.net Forums: Adjusting HUD sprite height? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Adjusting HUD sprite height?

User is offline   Lava Grunt 

I have a somewhat large display (1366 x 768) and when I play with the fullscreen HUD one of the last reloading sprites for the pistol is just a pinch too high, showing a bit of cutoff.

Posted Image

Is there any way to adjust the positioning of stuff on the HUD without editing the raw sprites themselves?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

1366x768 isn't large, and the most you could do is use the full status bar that shrinks the screen vertically.

I suggest you not look too hard at the freezer when firing.

Posted Image

After HTTKC ships, we may include the widescreen sprites that we use with the port, in a zip package that only defines them if the tile they are replacing matches a checksum, and that can be disabled without consequence simply by deleting it.

The display a tad large, not super large. Regardless, it seems like Duke needs it's own sprite fix project akin to what Doom and Heretic had done for them.

• Weaponized Autism

>needs

>Greentexting outside of 4chan/8chan.

Yeah, it would be really nice to see, certainly wouldn't do any harm. I know you like your Duke 100% untouched from original, but there are people that like to see it polished beyond that. And that's exactly what those sprite projects did; stamping out the visual errors for those that want it. Though I doubt it will happen in this community though, as it's quite small and centered around a collective desire for a certain type of content.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostLava Grunt, on 16 April 2015 - 02:16 PM, said:

I know you like your Duke 100% untouched from original,

Why am I working on a source port, then?

Or this, for that matter?

Posted Image

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

That's a glitch from the original game artwork. It also shouldn't be hard for yourself to fix it, if you desire to.

View PostHendricks266, on 16 April 2015 - 02:27 PM, said:

Why am I working on a source port, then?

Or this, for that matter?

Like I said, a small, old community that generally desires a certain type of content, not so much as what I'm looking for. I don't really know why someone working on a source port would give the a-ok to release a main download (around a week ago) that had borked save games. Looks like I'm not the only one having issues with this port, albeit different from mine.

View PostFox, on 16 April 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

That's a glitch from the original game artwork. It also shouldn't be hard for yourself to fix it, if you desire to.

Yeah, it doesn't look like too daunting of a fix, but what's a good editor for editing con files so I can get to what I want to tweak? Thank you in advance.

This post has been edited by Lava Grunt: 16 April 2015 - 02:58 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostLava Grunt, on 16 April 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

>what wasn't broken in the first place
>34 views

Top kek.

View PostLava Grunt, on 16 April 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

Yeah, it doesn't look like too daunting of a fix, but what's a good editor for editing con files so I can get to what I want to tweak.

Notepad++.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostLava Grunt, on 16 April 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

The display a tad large, not super large. Regardless, it seems like Duke needs it's own sprite fix project akin to what Doom and Heretic had done for them.

Something like that would be cool, but I think it would be a damn sight harder than the Doom/Heretic projects due to Duke's larger and more complex (in general) sprite work. That and we have like 2 artists left now :D

View PostHendricks266, on 16 April 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

>what wasn't broken in the first place
>34 views

Top kek.

I don't know if you know this or not but...the video is only a couple months old...and Duke isn't super popular nowadays. It's fans that are still around today is right around Quake (1)'s level. Both of which combined don't have as many people as the Doom community. Doesn't make the issues any less valid.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostLava Grunt, on 16 April 2015 - 03:06 PM, said:

Doesn't make the issues any less valid.

It's invalid.

View PostHendricks266, on 16 April 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

And how is he supposed to have known to download some esoteric port for netplay when the main, current version is generally expected to function reliably out of the box, especially since old (read: 2009) versions before it worked just fine? I genuinely don't know why regression in stability and quality was the appropriate choice.

This post has been edited by Lava Grunt: 16 April 2015 - 03:50 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostLava Grunt, on 16 April 2015 - 03:49 PM, said:

And how is he supposed to have known to download some esoteric port for netplay when the main,

By doing research before running his mouth to his non-existent audience.

View PostLava Grunt, on 16 April 2015 - 03:49 PM, said:

I genuinely don't know why regression in stability and quality was the appropriate choice.

Regressions are never intended, nor is the lack of multiplayer a regression. Removing the sync-based lockstep system was a step on the way to an advancement that TX undertook as a volunteer effort, but his time got caught up with life & family matters.

Regardless, it's always better to leave the ol' reliable in place of the unstable prototype. Always.

Anyway, the more I look at the wonky Freeze Thrower frame, the more it looks like the bright patch on the back of his hands is the chunk missing from his knuckle. I'll have to take a look see in a bit, because if that's the case, it would be far easier to fix than I imagined. Coloring in an empty block of space > defining a knuckle.

• Weaponized Autism

The old multiplayer isn't reliable.

The freezer doesn't have an issue with the art tiles. The drawing positions are misaligned from the code, and that is not something you change in a source port.

How is it not something you can change in a source port? There's numerous bugs in the original Doom 1 and 2 code that have been fixed by various ports many times over, some much worse than something as light as this, such as the blockmap bug. And it got fixed.

This post has been edited by Lava Grunt: 16 April 2015 - 04:57 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Because it will break every mod made before EDuke 2.0 that changes the freezer tiles, and that is just one reason.

Which...is why it would be toggle-able, like a compatibility option that (G)ZDoom has an entire list of?

• Weaponized Autism

There is a toggle, but it's not in a shabby menu of miscellaneous bullshit. Take weapons.con.sample and modify it so that the freezer displays in what you think the correct position is, then run the game with it.

I take it you've never used GZDoom or ZDoom then. The compatibility options are there so no one needs to mess around with it. Errors that have been fixed but given options to modify them on or off or some other value for scenarios that call for tweaking. It isn't shoddy in the slightest.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

We've all used ZDoom. I strongly disagree with the decisions made regarding the menus in ZDoom, particularly the "throw every cvar that exists in as a menu option until the whole menu is an unreadable mess" mentality.

ZDoom is excellent overall, but whoever thought menus that come out looking like this were a good idea was wrong:

Posted Image

That's not difficult to read at all. I can't relate with you on that.

• Weaponized Autism

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options