Duke4.net Forums: Expansions not running properly - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Expansions not running properly

User is offline   Lava Grunt 

Using build 5118 since the stable or "latest" release on the EDuke32 main page is bugged regarding loading save games.

Anyway, I followed the add-on guide and copied from my CD's the relevant files (NWINTER, DUKEDCPP.SSI, and VACA15.SSI) and then pasted them into my EDuke32 directory. All 4 games show up when in EDuke's launch window, but the only expansion that works properly is Nuclear Winter, I'm guessing because it's a .GRP file? Windows 7 automatically hides the extension for .GRP in the folder, but the strange .SSI files (for Duke Caribbean and Duke It Out In D.C.) keep their extension in their file name. Is there any way to remedy this so I can play Duke Caribbean and Duke It Out In D.C.? It seems EDuke just wants to load .SSI for it's content rather than as a game, as using EDuke's map browser lets me play the raw maps individually (with the music defaulting to Red Light District's for both first levels of the problematic expansions), but I'd rather not play it that way.

This post has been edited by Lava Grunt: 01 April 2015 - 10:06 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Please post your eduke32.log. Thanks!

View PostTerminX, on 02 April 2015 - 12:41 AM, said:

Please post your eduke32.log. Thanks!

Gotcha. Sorry I forgot about that. Tried running Duke Caribbean again as I'm fairly certain the log rewrites itself each launch and my most recent was with the hassle free Nuclear Winter :D

It's also worth noting that Duke Caribbean gives me a CON file compilation error on execution, which from there gives me the option as to whether or not I want to use internal defaults. Duke It Out In D.C. doesn't have a CON file compilation error on execution, but it results in more or less the same as Duke Caribbean (except with the titlescreen notifying me that it's Duke It Out In D.C. albeit slightly cutoff on the bottom), which is the regular DN3D menu screen.

EDIT: Taking a quick glance I notice that it loads DN3D as a main game data file before Caribbean. Correct me if I'm wrong, but were the expansions not stand alone games (in terms of having all the resources needed in one file and only needing to then load it through a port or engine) kind of like how Doom's IWADs work?

This post has been edited by Lava Grunt: 02 April 2015 - 01:21 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostLava Grunt, on 02 April 2015 - 01:14 AM, said:

Gotcha. Sorry I forgot about that.

Looks like you forgot again.

View PostLava Grunt, on 02 April 2015 - 01:14 AM, said:

EDIT: Taking a quick glance I notice that it loads DN3D as a main game data file before Caribbean. Correct me if I'm wrong, but were the expansions not stand alone games (in terms of having all the resources needed in one file and only needing to then load it through a port or engine) kind of like how Doom's IWADs work?

Incorrect. They function like PWADs.

View PostLava Grunt, on 01 April 2015 - 10:05 PM, said:

Windows 7 automatically hides the extension for .GRP in the folder, but the strange .SSI files (for Duke Caribbean and Duke It Out In D.C.) keep their extension in their file name.

You should really turn on the display of file extensions.

View PostLava Grunt, on 01 April 2015 - 10:05 PM, said:

All 4 games show up when in EDuke's launch window, but the only expansion that works properly is Nuclear Winter, I'm guessing because it's a .GRP file?

This critical detail makes me think you have GAME.CON, DEFS.CON, and USER.CON loose in your EDuke32 folder. Delete them.

View PostHendricks266, on 02 April 2015 - 08:27 AM, said:

Looks like you forgot again.

I distinctly remember attaching the log. Why the forum decided not to keep it attached when I hit post is a mystery.

Incorrect. They function like PWADs.

Well...alright then?

You should really turn on the display of file extensions.

If I really want to see the file extensions I'd go into the respective file's properties. Not a fan of them sticking out in the plain view file name.

This critical detail makes me think you have GAME.CON, DEFS.CON, and USER.CON loose in your EDuke32 folder. Delete them.

Turns out that was the culprit, unfortunately. Is there a USER.CON for the expansions or a way to set it up the regular one for the expansions? The only thing I use it for is changing the devastator (devistator for some reason in the file) and freezethrower ammo to 100 instead of the arbitrary 99.

And now an entirely different question: why is the main download of EDuke, one that should be a stable build, bugged with the inability to load save games?

This post has been edited by Lava Grunt: 02 April 2015 - 03:08 PM

• el fundador

EDuke32 follows a rolling development model these days; all downloads are automated builds from svn. Was your broken save created with an older build? There was one build recently that created corrupt saves, but I declined to increase the internal version number when we fixed it because I didn't think anyone was going to have created bad saves with it (the build was pretty short lived). I guess I was wrong. :D

Saves created with 5118 should load fine in 5118!

View PostTerminX, on 02 April 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

EDuke32 follows a rolling development model these days; all downloads are automated builds from svn. Was your broken save created with an older build? There was one build recently that created corrupt saves, but I declined to increase the internal version number when we fixed it because I didn't think anyone was going to have created bad saves with it (the build was pretty short lived). I guess I was wrong. :D

Saves created with 5118 should load fine in 5118!

Ah, must have just been a real specific window of time thing. Sorry about that. Yeah, 5118 is great and has yet to give me any issues. A question about USER.CON though? Would I able to wipe out the rest of the file and just leave in

define MAXDEVISTATORAMMO 100
define MAXFREEZEAMMO 100

and have it work just fine with the expansions?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostLava Grunt, on 02 April 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

Ah, must have just been a real specific window of time thing. Sorry about that. Yeah, 5118 is great and has yet to give me any issues. A question about USER.CON though? Would I able to wipe out the rest of the file and just leave in

define MAXDEVISTATORAMMO 100
define MAXFREEZEAMMO 100

and have it work just fine with the expansions?

NO.

• el fundador

No, that wouldn't work--they have their own CON files that would have to be individually modified. I wouldn't change it to 100 regardless... the column for them in the status bar only has two places for numbers.

I'm guessing they go by a different name? I don't know the CON files for the expansions, but I guess I could dig around. Also, by the status bar, you mean the original status bar HUD right? I just use the fullscreen HUD.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options