Duke4.net Forums: Missing Surfaces With Polymer Renderer - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Missing Surfaces With Polymer Renderer

User is offline   deuxsonic 

This bug has been around a while for me and has kept me from using the nicer-looking Polymer render. Basically, some surfaces will not have the correct texture drawn on them but will instead show the sky. I've taken a picture of this in NAM because it's literally right at the beginning of the first map, but it affects Duke and everything else as well at times. I have ART mapping disabled for Polymer so I can have fltered textures, however it will still do this with it enabled.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.JPG

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

This happens when a sector has corrupt geometry. It's a side effect of how the renderer works... all sectors are tessellated into polygons, and if the tessellation fails then there's nothing to draw! This usually occurs when moving sectors have their wall points briefly cross into another sector (like with swinging doors or the lights in the arcade in E1L1), but it can occur with any bad geometry.

If the geometry has previously been tessellated successfully and a failure occurs, the previous result is used instead, which is why you don't see entire floors disappear when stuff moves most of the time. But if the geometry is bad from the beginning (or you save with certain doors open and then re-load), this is what happens.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

So there's really no way to mitigate this? How does Polymost render surfaces differently that it doesn't cause this? I would be content using Polymost but it doesn't fit the sky the way Polymer does and Polymer has much better-looking fullbrights and the draw distance in general looks better plus Polymost has a strange bug where sprites aren't drawn properly sometimes (they seem to flicker or are completely invisible or partly cut off when they're supposed to be parallel to a surface like a sign sprite stuck on a wall somewhere) so I feel like I'm stuck between 2 renderers each not quite there.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 26 March 2015 - 10:28 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options