Duke4.net Forums: Questions regarding Demo Recording and Playback - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questions regarding Demo Recording and Playback

One of the things I loved about the old Classic FPS DOS games from the early 1990s was because they had built-in gameplay recording and playback support such as Duke Nukem 3D and a a few other Build Engines and as well as all those other older "Doom" engines (iDTech 1).

But anyways, right to the point. What I realize was that back in the original Vanilla version of Duke Nukem 3D, although demo recording and playback is possible, however there are limitations such as you cannot record a demo of an Entire Episode from beginning to end all in one sitting.

I don't know if there was any other custom modification that eventually changed and removed this limitation and I am asking if this was ever changed somehow in the current eDuke source port upgrades?

If so then it's a Big Hurray and huge incentive for me to replay Duke 3D and record my personal walkthrough videos first internally and then maybe capture the video sometime later, such as with FRAPS, or some other video capture/recording software. In fact I would ask a friend and see if we can do a full Co-Op walkthrough for all 4 Episodes, if it's currently possible. It's just that I rather have a pre-recorded session and then convert it to video later RATHER than Having to record a video demo walkthrough the entire time, as it could make editing much easier later if I want to adjust some other settings, provided that as long as it does not cause any major problems such playback de-synchs.

E.G. If I complete E1M1 of Duke Nukem 3D and hit the Auto-Destruct End of Level Exit Switch the demo cuts off and sometimes doesn't even complete or record/save the demo properly. It does Not continue Recording the demo when I am on E1M2. Meaning if I want to record the next mission I could Only record it from Scratch by using a level warp parameter, and not retain all of the equipment, armor, health or weapons acquired from the previous mission

And the same goes for the Boss Battles if I ever record them I must stop the recording by whatever (press Esc, quit/stop the game) BEFORE the Ending FMV or Cinematic Sequence is shown, or it doesn't save the recorded demo properly for playback.

Unlike the classic Doom games which supported recorded playback of Entire Episodes from beginning to end. I understand that the old Doom games are of a different engine and the demo playback file format structure is entirely different since they use ".lmp" files instead of ".dmo" files that the Build Engine games use.

I'm just using this as a point. I had been able to record Demo playbacks of the entire Shareware episode of Doom and it playback fine with no de-syncs, etc., etc.

I figure if Build is an even better engine than iDTech 1, then the recording playback support should even be better right?

No? If so how come the limitations?

Was it because it potentially would take up too much Hard Drive space at the time for a recorded demo of completion of Duke 3D's first entire episode of L.A. Meltdown?

Or was it because it would frequently de-sync that the developers had to implement the limitations on the recording and playback?

I don't know if anyone has ever attempted to change these limitations via any type of custom mod, assuming it is even possible to even begin with. So maybe some one who knows can provide a more clearer explanation about it.

One other question regarding the Record and Playback modes

In Build Engine games such as Duke 3D, I noticed that in replay/playback mode sometimes you will see your playback in 3rd person mode from various cameras' angles.

I don't know if I am explaining this clearly. Or if anyone gets what I meant.

Ok, maybe I'll try and make it clearer this way. The playback of you recorded demo will NOT Constantly remain in the First Person mode while you were playing and recording your demo, sometimes it switches to seeing your character (whether it's Duke Nukem, Lo Wang or Caleb).

So does anyone know if there is any way to disable or change those switching to 3rd person camera angles display?

I thought there was a setting somewhere in the Options menus but I forgot if it could be done or not.

This post has been edited by More Source Ports and Mods: 24 March 2015 - 08:10 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options