Duke4.net Forums: EA Closes Maxis (Spore/SimCity) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EA Closes Maxis (Spore/SimCity)

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

EA shuts down Maxis during GDC. After the train wreck that was the last Sim City game, I can't say I'm surprised, but EA has to take its share of the blame for that fiasco.

http://kotaku.com/ea...axis-1689454903

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Much like Joshua Tree was to U2, Maxis had never been quite the same ever since Sims 2. It's a shame but it's not as if this was unexpected.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Boggles my mind that a developer that had one of the highest selling PC games of all time can be shutdown. Games are so fucking expensive to create nowadays with the demand for quality and graphics that no one seems to be safe.

Thanks to Executive Meddling by EA. Trip Hawkins should be ashamed of himself of founding this abomination.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostDustFalcon85, on 04 March 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

Thanks to Executive Meddling by EA. Trip Hawkins should be ashamed of himself of founding this abomination.

Hey, EA was pretty good back in the Hawkins era.

EA has shut down waaaaayyy too many great 1990's game developers; Westwood Studios, Origin Systems, Bullfrog Entertainment, Pandemic Studios, Victory Studios and now Maxis. What will EA shutdown next? Bioware? PopCap? or DICE? EA will collapse under it's own weight if they continue this shit.

View PostHulkNukem, on 04 March 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

Boggles my mind that a developer that had one of the highest selling PC games of all time can be shutdown. Games are so fucking expensive to create nowadays with the demand for quality and graphics that no one seems to be safe.

I agree. Does developing a new game on the Build engine, Id Tech 1-3 or the 1st Unreal engine is gonna be cheaper if done today?

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 04 March 2015 - 06:32 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostHulkNukem, on 04 March 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

It's all EA's fault. Because a few years ago Facebook games proved to be extremely rentable, both SimCity and The Sims 4 were developed to be like social network games and to require persistent Internet connection. Obviously that has been changed at the last minute for The Sims due to the poor reception of SimCity.

While adding some elements of FarmVille worked for Wow, the sort of people who play SimCity or The Sims didn't buy that crap. Naturally EA blames Maxis for everything.

This post has been edited by Fox: 04 March 2015 - 06:50 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

If only EA would shutdown.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options