Duke4.net Forums: [CBP announcement] Duke´s 20th Anniversary - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[CBP announcement] Duke´s 20th Anniversary

User is offline   blizzart 

Hello fellow mappers,

after some discussing with some of the top-mappers here, I will announce the following Community Build Project:

Duke´s 20th Anniversary

As the most of you will know, Duke will become twenty by the beginning of 2016. So I/we decided to start a Community Build Project to honor the King himself with a new episode in compersion to the Duke is Ten episode from 2006.

This project starts off now and will end up by the end of November/beginning of December 2015. So, it will be enough time to play test the maps, polishing everything up and combine them in an episode. Though, those of us have real life stuff like families, work, school, university and not that much time to map for Duke, will have enough time to get finished with their map by this date.

In our private discussing we made up some loosely rules:

Who can contribute in this project?
- Everyone who is interested. You can also work in teams or contribute with two or more maps if you like to.

Which theme should the maps have?
- There won´t be any specific theme. Feel free to create what you like to. Only rule here: There must be something with “20” in it.

What about the detail level of the maps?
- The maps should have an at least above average level of details, texturing and shading. You can proof your skills the best, when you show some WIP-screenshots. Please note, that I/we will sort out maps, that don´t fit this skill levels.

What renderer should be used?
- The classic renderer. Due to the performance issues with Polymer and Polymost, this is the best way, everyone can play it in the end.

Is TROR allowed?
- Yes.

Are custom Arts and Codes allowed?
- No. Maybe something else will be announced later.

Will this be EDuke32 exclusive or will it also be released on the Steam Workshop?
- This project will be EDuke32 exclusive. No support for Megaton or any other port.

For any further questions, please ask here. Also leave a note, if you want to join. Your WIP screenshots are all welcomed.

Some idea, which came to my mind:
It would be a great thing, if some of the veteran mappers, who have left the community ages ago, would join into this, too. Names like William Gee, Pascal Rouaud, KaiseR, Bob Masters, Maarten Pinxten, Kevin Cools, Billy Boy, Numan, Iggy (Igor Willems), C3PO, Phoenix, Mike von Skellington, Stephano Lessa, NutWrench, Rob Wijkstra or Alejandro Glavic come to my mind. So, if anyone is still in contact with one or more of these guys, it would be great if you could contact and ask them to contribute. Also, there are some mappers who aren´t often or never come here. Feel free to ask them, too.

I would like to join, but one question: Could it be set in space? If not, I can do something different.

User is offline   Steve 64 

I really think MrRumbleRoses should get in on this he has some good ideas I think or Duke64Nukem

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Might be interested, though the rules are kind of loose that I don't exactly see the full potential of a CBP coming out in this.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

View Postblizzart, on 28 January 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

- Everyone who is interested. You can also work in teams or contribute with two or more maps if you like to.

hehe do I count as anyone ? I see myself as an alien nah i'm just joking :lol: If it's okay you can count me in for a map. Though I agree with Daedolon with the rules/guidelines being a bit to loose as I don't know where to start with my map when I get into it, since it's a free for all. Not that, that would hold me back though that would just make it a bit easier to jump into. But I think it's a cool idea and I think it's needed to for the cause is good.

Edit: Now that I think about it there is a theme present it's Duke is 20 it's sort of a celebration theme so it works even if the maps end up all mixed it will be okay the cause is open and will fit with that. Especially if the maps are organized after they are all made and a boss map is made for last. I am already getting some ideas for my map and can feel the inspiration that's all I ever needed. I hope more people involve themselves

This post has been edited by Duke64: 28 January 2015 - 02:37 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

This is something I could be interested in, but again, not before I get more free time so it won't be anytime soon.
Like Daedolon said the rules are very free so anything could come out of this. I'm thinking of some kind of "20"-something restrictive rule for myself if I make a map, like "use 20 of this enemy" or "20 of this sprite must be in" or "20 rooms", not sure exactly yet.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View Postblizzart, on 28 January 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

What about the detail level of the maps?
- The maps should have an at least above average level of details, texturing and shading. You can proof your skills the best, when you show some WIP-screenshots. Please note, that I/we will sort out maps, that don´t fit this skill levels.

I think that these rules are negative to each other? I mean you can just make 1 rule like: Every good mapper can join. We will also check your skill level. However, all bad mappers think that they are gods ...

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

What it's saying that pretty much anyone can join as long as their work is decent. IMO mappers should be capable of at least capable of Episode 4-level detailing (which isn't a big ask), however must also be capable of polish in terms of shading, texture work, sizing and believable design. No point having a million details if everything's oversized and without shade, with textures randomly placed everywhere with no thought to alignment or the purpose of the texture, with doors that go all the way up to the ceiling etc.

Essentially those involved would either have already released a decent-looking map that we can check out, or otherwise must post a picture of their work showing the quality of stuff they're capable of making. So for example in Never Forgotten's case, he released some pretty bad stuff a while ago. He's probably improved since then, but we'll need to see some proof of some quality stuff before he can be accepted on board.

While I was involved in the initial private discussion about this project, these are just my personal opinions, and Blizzart has the final say.

• Turok Nukem

I don't know about that though it's pretty normal as anyone can join but have to see if it is okay with the rest of the maps if it blends well keep it. And if it doesn't well hell that person still has a map they made that's pretty fair if the person map didn't go there you still have a map for yourself to release which by then the comments about what is wrong will come in and then person understand why.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

For the record this idea is based off the Duke is 10 episode for Duke's 10th anniversary. All maps were made by veteran mappers and the maps were not related to each other.

• Turok Nukem

Yeah got to agree if you haven't played it and thinking about trying to be on this you should play it see the way it was before. Here it is on CGS http://www.scent-88....ten/duketen.php if you want

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options