Duke4.net Forums: Super Mario 64 HD Fan Remake - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Super Mario 64 HD Fan Remake  "Yahooooooo!!!!!"

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

I'd been following this project for quite some time before its grand reveal a couple days ago, but I had basically forgotten about it in the recent months and - like most of these sorts of undertakings - I figured that it had faded into obscurity. Much to my surprise and delight, they've still alive and (literally)kicking, with some downright amazing new content to show. I don't know about any of you, but I'll be keeping very close tabs on this one from now on. :)

User is offline   Lunick 

I know it is still early, but Mario runs really weirdly.

In my opinion they should turn this into their own game with their own characters etc so it would have a chance to be something before Nintendo sets its eyes on it with a cease and desist.

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostLunick, on 06 January 2015 - 05:33 AM, said:

I know it is still early, but Mario runs really weirdly.

In my opinion they should turn this into their own game with their own characters etc so it would have a chance to be something before Nintendo sets its eyes on it with a cease and desist.

Or not?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostDuke Rocks, on 06 January 2015 - 06:23 AM, said:

I guess I completely forgot about this. Still, I would rather see them make their own IP :)

Getting the camera angle cutscene at the start of the game was pretty great though.

The run is nearly 100% accurate to how it was in the game, which isn't the best idea. Doing the same animations on a high-def model isn't exactly the best route to go down. Still, it's accurate, which it seems like they want accuracy above all else.

This post has been edited by Carl Winslow: 06 January 2015 - 06:40 PM

On which engine? Certainly not N64.

This is so much superior to those "HD" retextures it isn't even funny.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

This is really nice, is there way to play yet or they still working with it?

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostDuke64, on 07 January 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

This is really nice, is there way to play yet or they still working with it?

They're still working on it, and plan to be for a very long time(as not much it done yet). However, they did release the Peach's castle area as .blender scene. So to answer Duke of Hazzard's question, they're currently using the Blender Game Engine....but may switch in the future(according to them).

View PostDuke Rocks, on 07 January 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

They're still working on it, and plan to be for a very long time(as not much it done yet). However, they did release the Peach's castle area as .blender scene. So to answer Duke of Hazzard's question, they're currently using the Blender Game Engine....but may switch in the future(according to them).

At first glance I thought they were on the N64, but then I remembered that such detail would probably crash an N64 (or an emulator).

My favorite game on the N64 (Perfect Dark) also received a TC on the Source engine, but I didn't like the art direction. Some weapons look completely different. I couldn't recognize stuff like SuperDragon, K7 Avenger, RC-P120. The XBLA version of the game is far better, artistically speaking, since it's an HD remaster, not a reimagining.

This post has been edited by Duke of Hazzard: 07 January 2015 - 11:54 PM

Looks nice, but am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about HD remakes? Doesn't anyone have any ideas of their own any more?

View PostRunningWild, on 08 January 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

Looks nice, but am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about HD remakes? Doesn't anyone have any ideas of their own any more?

https://www.youtube....h?v=3gAcVYnPH-Q

There's your "idea of your own".

He was working on a sequel, too.

This post has been edited by Duke of Hazzard: 08 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostRunningWild, on 08 January 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

Doesn't anyone have any ideas of their own any more?

Its gotten so bad that there are remakes of remakes.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 08 January 2015 - 08:24 PM

• Turok Nukem

This post has been edited by Duke64: 10 January 2015 - 05:31 PM

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostReaperMan, on 08 January 2015 - 08:24 PM, said:

Its gotten so bad that there are remakes of remakes.

Indeed.

View PostDuke64, on 08 January 2015 - 10:23 PM, said:

We don't need new ideas when there so much to do with whats already here cough cough Duke Nukem. I am type person who would rather see enhanced version of what I already like rather then some new thing that I have to force myself into seeing I don't have the time rather further enjoy the greatness of what could be done with what was limited at that time.

This is everything that's wrong with consumers these days. They're scared to touch anything new unless it's presented as 'hip and cool' in whatever asinine way that counts for such these days. Take a fucking risk you baby!

• "Dick Nasty"

As much as I also like new ideas being introduced, I really have no problem with Super Mario 64 HD.

Why?

1. It's being made by fans, so it's not like it's occupying the big N's time.

2. It's arguably one of, if not THE most spectacular games ever(for it's time). And quite possibly the most influential, as well. People still play it to this day, and are finding new and exciting ways to challenge/entertain themselves and others.

3. SM64 HD is NOT a 1:1 remake; new features will be added - easter eggs, levels, areas in existing levels, playable characters, game modes, and potentially a multiplayer and coop mode....just to name a few.

4. The original game, while great, is 100% outdated graphically...which is inevitable for any game with a good solid two decades(by the time of HD's likely release date) in existence. It's not like Tomb Raider 2013 vs Tomb Raider 2014 where the visual improvements were laughably marginal, at best.

Just my .02. :)

View PostDuke Rocks, on 09 January 2015 - 09:52 PM, said:

2. It's arguably one of, if not THE most spectacular games ever(for it's time). And quite possibly the most influential, as well. People still play it to this day, and are finding new and exciting ways to challenge/entertain themselves and others.

You mean TELEPOHT MARE REE OH

• Turok Nukem

That is an exceptionally boring attitude. So you're saying that games don't ever turn out differently, and you're also inferring that you only would pay attention to new FPS releases, which is even worse as there's alot fewer of them per year.

• Turok Nukem

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 08 January 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

https://www.youtube....h?v=3gAcVYnPH-Q

There's your "idea of your own".

He was working on a sequel, too.

Another Mario game fails to be "an idea of your own". And, honestly, I'd be surprised if it ever becomes anything more than a demo. Projects like this have a way of never finding themselves finished. Something about biting off more than they can chew.

View PostDuke Rocks, on 09 January 2015 - 09:52 PM, said:

4. The original game, while great, is 100% outdated graphically...which is inevitable for any game with a good solid two decades(by the time of HD's likely release date) in existence. It's not like Tomb Raider 2013 vs Tomb Raider 2014 where the visual improvements were laughably marginal, at best.

This part's never been a problem for me. But, then again, I prioritize gameplay over being dazzled by millions of dollars thrown into the fire of the graphics budget.

/Gives change back for the .02

• Turok Nukem

blank

This post has been edited by Duke64: 10 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

Do you want a bucket to cry into?

This post has been edited by RunningWild: 10 January 2015 - 10:33 AM

View PostDuke64, on 10 January 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:

It's not my fault I love my old games and new ones suck it down atleast that's just my opinion. You can go think of new games anyone can that can be your opinion doesn't mean I have to agree or play them or have any interest in them.

There's a tremendous amount of contradiction in this and previous replies.

This post has been edited by RunningWild: 10 January 2015 - 10:41 AM

• Turok Nukem

Here you go. It doesn't come with a pink ballerina skirt, but I'm sure you can find that on Amazon yourself.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostDuke64, on 08 January 2015 - 10:23 PM, said:

We don't need new ideas when there so much to do with whats already here cough cough Duke Nukem. I am type person who would rather see enhanced version of what I already like rather then some new thing that I have to force myself into seeing I don't have the time rather further enjoy the greatness of what could be done with what was limited at that time.

View PostDuke64, on 09 January 2015 - 11:38 PM, said:

Well I don't want anything new personally I am fine with what has already been created infact don't even look at new games anymore there boring. It's not games that have grew up its just simply the mechanics and engines apply them to already greatness and your good to go. Besides what the hell is there left to do ? yehaaw lets make a all new fps game .. wait there's already thousands and it will probably be lost in the clouds along with everything else you can think of.

This is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever read.

• Turok Nukem

Will only be in user maps and post videos nothing else sorry for ruining post game looks really bad ass I would buy it if it was for sale

This post has been edited by Duke64: 10 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

View PostRunningWild, on 10 January 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

Another Mario game fails to be "an idea of your own". And, honestly, I'd be surprised if it ever becomes anything more than a demo. Projects like this have a way of never finding themselves finished. Something about biting off more than they can chew.

I'm not sure what you're alluding to, but Star Road was finished and released years ago and Skelux was working on both a sequel and a SM64DS hack.

Nowadays, even something using already established IPs needs to be truly groundbreaking to impress people.

It's also surprising that SM64's gameplay is still fresh. It's a timeless classic. All 3D sandbox games trace their origins back to SM64.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options