Duke4.net Forums: What version should I buy? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What version should I buy?  "Looking at all the Duke options out there"

User is offline   Hogwaump 

I have the Atomic Edition for windows PC running under eduke32. I keep seeing adds for Duke Nukem Forever and a Megaton edition, Balls of Steel on Amazon, etc. What is the latest/greatest version of Duke for the PC, and where do I get it reliably? Steampowered.com seems scammy and I see a lot of complaints about them. Any advice on what would be good as an upgrade?

This post has been edited by Hogwaump: 04 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

I wish I could recommend the GOG version but it lacks 3 expansion packs (2 of which are excellent).
Duke Nukem Forever is a mediocre shooter (not bad for $5, wait for a good sale), you're better off buying the Megaton Edition that comes with Duke 3D Atomic, Duke it out in DC, Duke Caribbean (all great expansion packs) and Duke Nuclear Winter (this last one is mediocre but has a few cool things).
http://store.steampo...com/app/225140/
To play a 100% DRM free (i.e. no-steam) version you can copy the GRPs on the Steam directory and past on a eDuke32 folder.

PS.: My advice is to buy the Duke Megaton + Shadow Warrior Redux pack, it's one of the options on the link above.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 04 January 2015 - 12:32 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

BUT WAIT

I just saw that the new Humble Bundle includes both Duke Megaton and Shadow Warrior, and you can choose how much you want to pay. They include steam keys:
https://www.humblebundle.com/

User is offline   Kathy 

You could also help this site and buy GOG version through this link http://www.gog.com/g...bdf0e53685674f7 or banner on duke4.net.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostKathy, on 04 January 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

You could also help this site

We make revenue from Megaton sales too, and it is the superior package.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

There's absolutely no real reason for him to get the GOG version since he already has atomic.

To answer his question, eduke32 is the best version of Duke 3D, especially regarding single player (and also multiplayer if you wait for the new code to be finished). The main convenience Megaton has over eduke32 is that it's linked to the steam workshop which makes it ultra-simple to download and play maps, not that downloading them from a review site and dropping them in the eduke folder is that much harder though.

In terms of content, as stated Megaton comes with all the expansion packs, and might include more in the future. If you don't have them already, get Megaton for the Duke it out in DC and Duke Caribbean packs, which you can then play with eduke32.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostHendricks266, on 04 January 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

We make revenue from Megaton sales too, and it is the superior package.

How?

• Honored Donor

Megaton uses bits of code from eduke32.

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 09 December 2016 - 10:02 AM

Thanks all,

I originally bought the Atomic edition via GOG, so some of my money has made it to this site already.

Tried to get the Humble Bundle deal but there seems to be a hitch in processing. We shall see.

User is offline   Nokiaman 

View PostKathy, on 04 January 2015 - 05:45 PM, said:

How?

This is from Credits in Megaton.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Nokiaman: 06 January 2015 - 04:40 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

From what I understand revenue-wise they had no obligation to do so.

• Weaponized Autism

They use our BUILD code. BUILDLIC prohibits commercial use without explicit permission. (Even though in this case it was retroactive.)

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostKathy, on 06 January 2015 - 06:14 AM, said:

From what I understand revenue-wise they had no obligation to do so.

They absolutely had obligation to do so. You can't just use code without a license and expect the authors to not have any problem with it!

• Honored Donor

It's nice that with Megaton they actually paid the JFDuke3D/eduke32 authors as opposed to the XBLA port where they just use it then don't return TX's calls Posted Image

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

People got raped up the ass for that in the end.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostHendricks266, on 06 January 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

They use our BUILD code. BUILDLIC prohibits commercial use without explicit permission. (Even though in this case it was retroactive.)

View PostTerminX, on 06 January 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

They absolutely had obligation to do so. You can't just use code without a license and expect the authors to not have any problem with it!

I always forget that EDuke32 is based not only on GPL licensed Duke3d source code, but also on Build which have a different license.

User is offline   Evilman 

So, from what i understand, XBLA port partially use code from Eduke32, but you don't get any revenue for that ? And there's no legal issue for them to do that ?

This post has been edited by Evilman: 07 January 2015 - 06:40 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

As far I know, the source code for the XBLA version should also have been released.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's been said before, but basically, EDuke32 Team and 3DR "settled" the "case". Everybody won in the end.

This post has been edited by White Guilt: 07 January 2015 - 06:48 PM

View PostLkMax, on 04 January 2015 - 12:29 PM, said:

I wish I could recommend the GOG version but it lacks 3 expansion packs (2 of which are excellent).
Duke Nukem Forever is a mediocre shooter (not bad for $5, wait for a good sale), you're better off buying the Megaton Edition that comes with Duke 3D Atomic, Duke it out in DC, Duke Caribbean (all great expansion packs) and Duke Nuclear Winter (this last one is mediocre but has a few cool things).
http://store.steampo...com/app/225140/
To play a 100% DRM free (i.e. no-steam) version you can copy the GRPs on the Steam directory and past on a eDuke32 folder.

PS.: My advice is to buy the Duke Megaton + Shadow Warrior Redux pack, it's one of the options on the link above.

Got the Megaton Edition finally. It doesn't work worth beans by running it the Steam way -- brings up Atomic Edition only -- but I copied in the GRP files and can run it natively on the PC using eDuke, all except for Nuclear Winter version, which crashes eDuke hard, have to kill the process to recover. Caribbean is cute, DC looks like a real game.

Is there some way to make Shadow Warrior DRM-free as well?

User is offline   Martin 

View PostHogwaump, on 08 January 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

Got the Megaton Edition finally. It doesn't work worth beans by running it the Steam way -- brings up Atomic Edition only

When you run the game on Steam, a launcher should pop up giving you options of what to start; Duke 3D, Duke it Out in D.C., etc. EDuke32 is the best, but to be honest I just play on Megaton. Had some good multiplayer!

• Honored Donor

View PostHogwaump, on 08 January 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

Got the Megaton Edition finally. It doesn't work worth beans by running it the Steam way -- brings up Atomic Edition only -- but I copied in the GRP files and can run it natively on the PC using eDuke, all except for Nuclear Winter version, which crashes eDuke hard, have to kill the process to recover. Caribbean is cute, DC looks like a real game.

Is there some way to make Shadow Warrior DRM-free as well?

If Megaton is installed, eduke32 should be able to detect the GRPs without you having to copy them over.

It should be possible to find and copy the Shadow Warrior GRPs.

User is offline   Evilman 

Also, if you're planning to play Eduke32 with Megaton files, you can replace the original dosbox.exe in the game folder by Eduke32.exe, this way, launching Classic Duke 3D through steam will launch Eduke32, and your playtime will be updated. :)

View PostMicky C, on 08 January 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

If Megaton is installed, eduke32 should be able to detect the GRPs without you having to copy them over.

It should be possible to find and copy the Shadow Warrior GRPs.

I did find the Shadow Warrior GRP and MAP files and tried to copy them over (as I did with the Duke DC set, and worked fine), but eDuke choked on it. If duke3d.grp is present, it does not find SW.grp. Tried renaming SW to duke3d, and eDuke put up a blank pick-list. Continuing from there, eDuke tries to gen up a game image but fails with "game.con" missing.

• Weaponized Autism

EDuke32 can't play Shadow Warrior... VoidSW isn't public yet because it's neither finished nor playable. There is a lot left to do.

User is offline   tannim 

I have heard that Megaton edition on steam has functional multiplayer. Is it possible to use eDuke32 in its current state with that multiplayer? I know eDuke's multi isn't functional anymore(yet?)

User is offline   Lunick 

EDuke32 doesn't use Steamworks like Megaton so they can't be used to play Multiplayer together.

User is offline   Max Payne 

• Skinny little Russian liberal faggot

Just buy Megaton and I am sure you already have Eduke32 with both of these you cant go wrong since Eduke32 already loads up the grp files from Megaton its a great way to go plus Megaton has mp and is on popular steam :lol:

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostMicky C, on 04 January 2015 - 05:38 PM, said:

(and also multiplayer if you wait for the new code to be finished)
When will it be finished? I always wanted to play online with modern versions of Eduke32.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options