Duke4.net Forums: Vsync causing lag NAM only now - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vsync causing lag NAM only now  "D3D now fine. NAM broken :("

User is offline   Nokiaman 

For some strange reason the latest version causes massive lag if I turn on vsync or adaptive vsync. Forcing it through nvidia control panel causes same issue.
I'll try to found out which version doesn't have this bug, but I won't hold my breath.

Alright I found some old version that doesn't have this issue
EDuke32 2.0.0devel r4593 (32-bit)
It must be old though as it doesn't have the NAM Steam fix implemented :)

Both Polymost and Polymer have this issue. Classic renderer works fine, but you can't set vsync if you use it. Also it looks quite ugly obviously.

Ok it seems for some weird reason Duke3D no longer has this issue, but NAM is still broken. First map is unplayable and broken unless I use Classic renderer which has no vsync so tearing everywhere.

This post has been edited by Nokiaman: 04 January 2015 - 04:22 AM

Still happening in latest build. Polymost and Polymer causing unbearable stuttering when Vsync is enabled.
Polymer is also horribly broken
Posted Image

I'm having the same issue. I noticed it happens mostly when entering in some parts of levels for the first time. When you go back there, the stuttering is gone. Could it be caused by loading new textures? I'm not using any HRP. With vsync off, there is just a lot of tearing where stuttering is supposed to happen. Earlier versions that didn't have this problem took a lot longer to load the levels and a loading bar could be seen.

Wish someone would look into this :)

This post has been edited by Nokiaman: 26 June 2015 - 06:35 AM

User is offline   Evil Ash 

What monitor are you using and at what refresh rate?
What type of cable/output are you using?

Vsync is just a command to give your monitor control over the frames it displays, as opposed to your GPU telling your monitor what to do.

In general, vsync should not be used. It's a "patch" to fix tearing, but really the issue is with your display/GPU combo/config.
You may also want to play with the buffering settings of your GPU.

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ hooked with a dual-link DVI cable. The maximum resolution is 1680x1050 @ 120Hz, which is the one I use. I use V-Sync because eDuke32 easily overheats any card if framerate is uncapped. Tripple Buffering is already enabled. The stuttering doesn't happen with earlier versions of eDuke32.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postfilipetolhuizen, on 26 June 2015 - 10:52 AM, said:

I use V-Sync because eDuke32 easily overheats any card if framerate is uncapped.

Use the cvar r_maxfps.

Thanks! I'll try that since the tearing doesn't bother me.
EDIT: Just tried that. Beautiful! :)

This post has been edited by filipetolhuizen: 26 June 2015 - 03:45 PM

View PostEvil Ash, on 26 June 2015 - 09:56 AM, said:

What monitor are you using and at what refresh rate?
What type of cable/output are you using?

Vsync is just a command to give your monitor control over the frames it displays, as opposed to your GPU telling your monitor what to do.

In general, vsync should not be used. It's a "patch" to fix tearing, but really the issue is with your display/GPU combo/config.
You may also want to play with the buffering settings of your GPU.

If you read my first post you'd see I did. No dice. I'm pretty much forced to use Classic mode which is stupid considering my GPU is powerful enough.

FPS caps are not an option. Tearing is still there.

This post has been edited by Nokiaman: 27 June 2015 - 10:25 AM

Yes, tearing is still there, but at least the stuttering is gone.

This post has been edited by filipetolhuizen: 27 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options